Not a hole in one?

Saw this article: https://www.golf.com/golf/2019/07/02/21-times-hole-in-one-doesnt-count/?utm_campaign=forecast&utm_source=golf.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=%7Bdate%28&utm_term=Forecast%20Newsletter

Makes a case for 21 scenarios where you don't get credit for a hole in one, the majority I agree with, but...

If I get a hole in one on a par 3 course...I got a hole in one.

If I take a mulligan on hole one and then I get a hole in one later in the round...I got a hole in one.

If I get a hole in one on a temporary green...I got a hole in one.

If I get a hole in one in a scramble....I got a hole in one.

Wrong tee markers? Uh, don't we now hear to vary your tees, change them up.

Technically maybe these may be correct, but I can in my own mind tell people that I got a hole in one with no thoughts I am lying or deceiving. I am being honest to myself and others. Maybe I can't get legal credit for these...but I can sleep well at night telling people I got a hole in one.

What say you?

Have I? Nope, still waiting....been within about two inches....

If I get a hole in one on a par 3 course...I got a hole in one.

Yes, a hole in hole.

If I take a mulligan on hole one and then I get a hole in one later in the round...I got a hole in one.

No, not.

If I get a hole in one on a temporary green...I got a hole in one.

No, not.

If I get a hole in one in a scramble....I got a hole in one.

No way - not.

Wrong tee markers? Uh, don't we now hear to vary your tees, change them up.

Absolutely not. No way.

Have I? Nope, still waiting....been within about two inches....

...........that's what she said.

#1 - OK

#2 - A little confusing. A mulligan on hole #1 and then you come back to that hole? If that's the case, the round we can see as being over, so no hole in one. USGA rules under hitting multiple balls on a hole.

#3 - The course was laid out that way and apparently open for play, so you play what was given. USGA rules agree.

#4 - Been there and done that, yes it's a hole in one. USGA rules agree.

#5 - Regardless of what tee you hit from, it's a par 3 and it's a hole in one

So the way I read this... You take a mulligan on the first hole, but then proceed to get a hole in one at a different hole in the round? I say that counts. I damn sure am counting a hole in one during a scramble, bar tab might be a touch high but worth it.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

It's funny that he brings up the USGA and then directly contradicts their recommendations on several points.

My only hole in one came during a 2-man scramble. I'm absolutely counting it.

"Rule Misc.

Validity of Hole in One

Q. What constitutes the validity of a hole in one?

A. The Rules of Golf do not address the issue of the validity of a hole-in-one. It is up to the Committee to determine whether a hole-in-one is valid. The USGA recommends that a hole-in-one be considered valid:

a. If made during a round of at least nine holes, except that a hole-in-one made during a match should be acceptable even if the match ends before the stipulated round is completed.

b. If the player is playing one ball; a hole-in-one made in a practice round in which the player is playing two or more balls should not be acceptable.

c. If attested by someone acceptable to the Committee.

d. If made at a hole with a temporary tee and/or putting green in use, even if the Committee did not specifically define the teeing ground with tee-markers; the length of the hole at the time should be stated on any certificate.

e. If made in a "scramble" competition, which is played as follows: A side comprises four players. Each member of a side plays from the teeing ground, the best drive is selected, each member plays a second shot from where the best drive is located, and so on."

• Like 1

> @disco111 said:

> It's funny that he brings up the USGA and then directly contradicts their recommendations on several points.

> My only hole in one came during a 2-man scramble. I'm absolutely counting it.

>

> Do show were the contradictions are............

Sure......................... I edited my post to more clearly show the 5 instances where the USGA recommends that a hole in one be valid.

His #5 contradicts with USGA (d), albeit with a clarification.

His #7 contradicts with USGA (e).

I guess my use of several was a little liberal but the point is valid.

and I was just talking about in "my own mind". I do not have a handicap, will never have one. I play for enjoyment. Have played for about 50 years, the last 15 or so real often. I want one for my own enjoyment, my own sense of accomplishment. If I get one playing a par 3 course, scr*w that author, I got one and will be proud of it.

> @rcb1586 said:

> > @disco111 said:

> > It's funny that he brings up the USGA and then directly contradicts their recommendations on several points.

> > My only hole in one came during a 2-man scramble. I'm absolutely counting it.

> >

> > Do show were the contradictions are............

>

> Sure......................... I edited my post to more clearly show the 5 instances where the USGA recommends that a hole in one be valid.

> His #5 contradicts with USGA (d), albeit with a clarification.

> His #7 contradicts with USGA (e).

> I guess my use of several was a little liberal but the point is valid.

>

Really?!..........#5 is about a scramble and even you said you counted it and so did I................#7 -?????? Apparently dealing with semantics here and I will resend my statement that said rules as it should have been termed recommendations, my bad, but that still does not contradict anything. Sorry, there is no point made.

> @disco111 said:

> > @rcb1586 said:

> > > @disco111 said:

> > > It's funny that he brings up the USGA and then directly contradicts their recommendations on several points.

> > > My only hole in one came during a 2-man scramble. I'm absolutely counting it.

> > >

> > > Do show were the contradictions are............

> >

> > Sure......................... I edited my post to more clearly show the 5 instances where the USGA recommends that a hole in one be valid.

> > His #5 contradicts with USGA (d), albeit with a clarification.

> > His #7 contradicts with USGA (e).

> > I guess my use of several was a little liberal but the point is valid.

> >

>

> Really?!..........#5 is about a scramble and even you said you counted it and so did I................#7 -?????? Apparently dealing with semantics here and I will resend my statement that said rules as it should have been termed recommendations, my bad, but that still does not contradict anything. Sorry, there is no point made.

I did not quote you in my original post as it was not directed at you. It was in reference to the author of the article.

> @rcb1586 said:

> > @disco111 said:

> > > @rcb1586 said:

> > > > @disco111 said:

> > > > It's funny that he brings up the USGA and then directly contradicts their recommendations on several points.

> > > > My only hole in one came during a 2-man scramble. I'm absolutely counting it.

> > > >

> > > > Do show were the contradictions are............

> > >

> > > Sure......................... I edited my post to more clearly show the 5 instances where the USGA recommends that a hole in one be valid.

> > > His #5 contradicts with USGA (d), albeit with a clarification.

> > > His #7 contradicts with USGA (e).

> > > I guess my use of several was a little liberal but the point is valid.

> > >

> >

> > Really?!..........#5 is about a scramble and even you said you counted it and so did I................#7 -?????? Apparently dealing with semantics here and I will resend my statement that said rules as it should have been termed recommendations, my bad, but that still does not contradict anything. Sorry, there is no point made.

>

> I did not quote you in my original post as it was not directed at you. It was in reference to the author of the article.

My apology then, thought it was directed at my post..................

What does the USGA have to do with me getting a hole in one? Do they give out prizes or something? If I am playing golf on a golf course (not a video game or putt-putt) and I put my first shot into the hole that is a hole in one. The mechanics of putting the ball in the hole with your first shot has nothing to do with posting or tournaments or whatever. Legit golf course + one shot + ball in hole = hole in one.

I've had three. One in a league championship, one during regular league play and my first with my son on the 11th hole as daylight was fading. We played one more hole before having to quit. I count it as my first and really don't care what anyone thinks about not finishing the round.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• 2 weeks later...

> @RSinSG said:

> What does the USGA have to do with me getting a hole in one? Do they give out prizes or something? If I am playing golf on a golf course (not a video game or putt-putt) and I put my first shot into the hole that is a hole in one. The mechanics of putting the ball in the hole with your first shot has nothing to do with posting or tournaments or whatever. Legit golf course + one shot + ball in hole = hole in one.

>

> I've had three. One in a league championship, one during regular league play and my first with my son on the 11th hole as daylight was fading. We played one more hole before having to quit. I count it as my first and really don't care what anyone thinks about not finishing the round.

I agree! What does the USGA have to do with a hole in one? They are overreaching!

> @TheShaun said:

> I have 3 holes in one on a pitch and putt course. (2x same hole, approx 107 yrd, and one 97 yrds). I have none on a full length course.

>

>** I don't count my pitch and putt ones. And tell people I have no HIO. would you count those?**

Yes. Why wouldn't you? You played those holes in 1 shot. The USGA has held recent US Opens, including this year, that had sub 100 yard par three holes (Pebble #7, Merion #13). The 2017 Walker Cup (another USGA event) at LACC had a par 3 (#15) play at 78 yards. Forget the fact your HIO were on a pitch-n-putt/par 3 course. They count. Don't over think it.

I read the article just now.

Any extra hole played for bet settling purposes, i.e. a one hole, sudden death playoff? And you dunk it? That’s a hole in one, and you’re a legend. Until recently it could have happened at East Lake for the tour championship. That would have been amazing.

I also think you can claim ace on borrowed club in a casual round.

And as far as in front of the markers goes, if I were playing a match and my opponent got a hole in one from negligibly in front of the markers, I would NOT say a peep about it. Or simply not exercise my right to cancel the stroke. I’m not that guy.

I agree with the above, in general, if you come to the tee, make one swing at one ball, and said ball goes into the hole, that’s a hole in one.

First swing on any hole and it goes in the hole is a HIO.... I play late afternoon rounds alone and if I ever got a HIO on my first swing, no one is taking that away from me and saying it wasn't a HIO.

As for a scramble, that's where I want my HIO as there are usually prizes associated.

BTW a playing partner of ours just got a HIO in our Member/Member, and according to this article it wouldn't count. I know I just paid for it in my HIO fund...... ;)

> If I get a hole in one on a temporary green...I got a hole in one.

> No, not.

Why not? Temp greens OR tee boxes count towards your handicap. It's a legit round of golf.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2017/04/temporary-greens-and-tees--can-i-post-my-score-.html

I personally wouldn't "count" anything < 100 yards. Why? Because I have a side bet with two buddies, $50 each for any HIO, and we don't count it < 100. Rule put in place when I used to play a local par 3 course with my wife, and several holes were in the 80 yard range. I never did make one, but got within a couple of feet a number of times. I just wouldn't feel "right" about it if I collected.

I read this article a week or so ago and it immediately pissed me off, mostly because the only hole-in-one I've ever made was on a Par 3 course. The ones on the list I thought were most ridiculous, though, were the ones mentioned here already.

How can an HOI not count just because you hit it during a scramble? What difference does the format being played that day make when someone has successfully gotten the ball from the designated tee box into the hole on their first stroke? The one about taking a mulligan on the 1st hole negating an HOI later in the round was the most ridiculous of all in my opinion. If that was really the case, I'd just say forget the mulligan and add two shots to my score on #1 on the card as I elected to replay my tee shot. Adding two strokes to my score on that particular day would be a small price to pay. In the end, though, the whole thing is BS anyway. If you get the ball from the teeing ground into the hole on your first stroke then you made a hole-in-one, period.

> @TheShaun said:

> I have 3 holes in one on a pitch and putt course. (2x same hole, approx 107 yrd, and one 97 yrds). I have none on a full length course.

>

> I don't count my pitch and putt ones. And tell people I have no HIO. would you count those?

> @TheShaun said:

>

> I don't count my pitch and putt ones. And tell people I have no HIO. would you count those?

I do and don’t. When asked if I have a HOI I say, how many on real course and then point out that I had a few on pitch and putts.

If I was you and asked, my answer would be “yes, two on a pitch and putt and working on getting on on a film size course.”

I have only had one during competition- this one is the one I REALLY count. Great shot full rules of golf, medal play, helped me win the day.

In my view, your club can have a policy, your group of friends, your foursome, any of us can decide what counts for a hole in one. But nobody at any magazine has any authority to tell ME what counts and what doesn't. If the Rules of Golf don't cover it, its fair game. Personally, I've had 3. First was with my soon-to-be father-in law over 35 years ago, most recent in an interclub match while playing at the other club.

• Like 1

> @larrybud said:

> > If I get a hole in one on a temporary green...I got a hole in one.

> > No, not.

> Why not? Temp greens OR tee boxes count towards your handicap. It's a legit round of golf.

>

> https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2017/04/temporary-greens-and-tees--can-i-post-my-score-.html

>

> I personally wouldn't "count" anything < 100 yards. Why? Because I have a side bet with two buddies, $50 each for any HIO, and we don't count it < 100. Rule put in place when I used to play a local par 3 course with my wife, and several holes were in the 80 yard range. I never did make one, but got within a couple of feet a number of times. I just wouldn't feel "right" about it if I collected.

LB...I'm in agreement with you about 99.999% of the time...however...if you and Mrs. LB are playing a 9 or 18 hole round and she makes an ace on a 80 yard hole from her tee box, are you really going to deny her HiO and banish yourself to the couch for the rest of eternity?

Got one for you, is this a hole in one? I was on 17 on my club, first group off. Tee markers are sloped and hole is downhill. I go to hit my shot and all of sudden a guy on mower pops up 2 boxes in front of me. I stop my swing on the way down to not hit it or him but make contact with ball but only hard enough for ball to go about 6 yards (hole is 168 yards). Tee up another and hole it out. Hole in one? This is a true story that happened to me last year.

DRIVER --Rogue sub zero

FW- Rogue 3 wood
M2--5hl

IRONS--- jpx 900 forged 5-pw

WEDGES--T7-49-53-56-59

PUTTER-- scotty cameron buttonback

> @larrybud said:

> > If I get a hole in one on a temporary green...I got a hole in one.

> > No, not.

> Why not? Temp greens OR tee boxes count towards your handicap. It's a legit round of golf.

>

> https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2017/04/temporary-greens-and-tees--can-i-post-my-score-.html

>

> I personally wouldn't "count" anything < 100 yards. Why? Because I have a side bet with two buddies, $50 each for any HIO, and we don't count it < 100. Rule put in place when I used to play a local par 3 course with my wife, and several holes were in the 80 yard range. I never did make one, but got within a couple of feet a number of times. I just wouldn't feel "right" about it if I collected.

If you were playing hole 7 at Pebble Beach and the tee markers had it playing under 100 yards as it was in the US Open and made a hole in one you wouldn't count it because of some bet with your friends? Sure.......... ;)

• Like 1

> @dmb3535 said:

> Got one for you, is this a hole in one? I was on 17 on my club, first group off. Tee markers are sloped and hole is downhill. I go to hit my shot and all of sudden a guy on mower pops up 2 boxes in front of me. I stop my swing on the way down to not hit it or him but make contact with ball but only hard enough for ball to go about 6 yards (hole is 168 yards). Tee up another and hole it out. Hole in one? This is a true story that happened to me last year.

As you had no intention to make contact with the ball, there was no stroke and your ball was not in play even after making contact with it. Thus your HIO was legitimate.

• Like 1

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

I’ve been saying same thing but my buddy that was with me said the ball was in play when I made contact. He mentioned all those times that pros stop their swings when someone screams and what if they made contact. He says they would have to play theirs. I told him I check the mail everyday and I don’t get a pga check.

DRIVER --Rogue sub zero

FW- Rogue 3 wood
M2--5hl

IRONS--- jpx 900 forged 5-pw

WEDGES--T7-49-53-56-59

PUTTER-- scotty cameron buttonback

I have several times come very, very close to acing a hole while playing by myself or not playing according to the Rules or on a Par 3 course or whatever. If one of those had gone in I would tell people I had a hole-in-one that didn't really count because it wasn't during a real round.

As it turns out, the only ace I've actually made was during a stipulated round on a golf trip with a group of friends so I just say I've had one and don't need to qualify the statement.

But I play all the time solo, practicing on the course, not keeping score and often playing two or three balls on some holes. If a tee shot on a Par 3 happens to go in that's a cool hole-out but it's no Ace.

P.S. As for the Rules of Golf, if you're not playing by the Rules then by definition the Rules have nothing to say about any particular shot! Reminds me of that story about Bobby Jones's father "The Colonel" acting as an official in one of the earliest Augusta National Invitational Tournaments. A player called him out to the course and asked if he could get a free drop from some situation or another. The Colonel asked, "What's your score?". When the player responded that he was 15 over par (or some such) The Colonel said, "Then do whatever the hell you want to".