Question about Macgregor MT Tourney Woods/Irons

I’ve been gifted these Macgregor woods and irons (1, 3, 4 and 2-PW) from my father. He thinks he bought them in the late 60s. He used iron covers, and they were hardly played at all after 1972, so they are in remarkable shape. They have the original grips, but 50 years has not been kind to them. I have some new Golfpride Victory grips that I think would look great on them. My question is whether these clubs are collectible, and whether or not regripping them would cause a reduction in value? I’d like to play with them occasionally, and I think it would be a slippery slope with the original grips.

Comments

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Any chance you could share pics?

Collectibility is probably leaning towards not too likely, unless they've been in the hands of certain pros, or perhaps part of the Personal Program. Or something else I'm not remembering at moment. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Ping Eye2, ZZ-lite shaft
    3w: Ping Eye2, ZZ-lite shaft
    2h:  TM Stage 2 Tour, Nv105 stiff -or- 1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind TW282, Precision 6.5
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS -or- Ram TG-898 56*, DGS
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game
  • RochesterRochester Members Posts: 71 ✭✭

Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured that they wouldn’t be collectible, but don’t want to make a mistake. I’ll try to post some pics when light is better tomorrow, if I can figure out how ;-).

The irons look like 71-72 MT's, based on extrapolating Ironfinder.com results. The woods appear to be laminates, based on the concentric circles visible in the top view.

Changing grips shouldn't affect much, IMHO, as the old grips are rubber. Leather might be a different story. I say go ahead and regrip them with something that suits you and take them out for some course time.

If they are indeed from the early 70s, the lofts will be quite weak; be prepared to be using longer numbered irons than you're accustomed to hitting. They could be as weak as a 52* PW, to a 20* or 21* 2 iron. When playing lofts that weak, it helps to think in terms of the lofts and not the club numbers. A 40* club is still a 40* club regardless of what's stamped on the sole. :)

They look in quite nice condition. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!

Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game
  • RochesterRochester Members Posts: 71 ✭✭

Thanks for the feedback!

• memphishornmemphishorn memphishorn ClubWRX Posts: 822 ClubWRX

I graduated high school in 1972 and bought that exact set with my graduation money except my MT irons were split soles. Still have a set of the MT laminates 1-5 and the MT split soles 3-10. I also have a set of 67 MT Persimmons 1-5 (Pictured here)

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue Stiff
     Titleist 915F 15*Diamana Blue 70 Regular
     Titleist 904F 19* YS6 Stiff
    Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* and (816) 25* Bassara Regular
    Titleist AP1 718 6-GW1 Tensei Graphite Stiff
    Vokey 52.08 SM6, 56.14 SM6
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 35”
    Titleist Hybrid 14 Bag

Classic Bag
    MacGregor MT Tourney 1967 WM2T 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Persimmon w/ Aluminum Insert
    MacGregor MT Tourney 1971 Split Sole irons 3-10
    MacGregor VIP 1967 Sand Iron
    Ping Anser 1969 85020
    Burton White Leather Bag
  • eoellrich83eoellrich83 Members Posts: 2

Can someone tell me a little more about these irons? I know they are the Toney Penna Colokrom irons but i’m not sure if they are the tourney, m55, m75, or m85 model. Does anyone also know what year these are from? I bought the 2-11 from an antique store and they have hardly been used. I’m new to the forum and wasnt sure how to make a new thread so i apologize.

edited Jul 23, 2019 12:07pm #9

I'm afraid I'm not a MacGregorologist, but I believe the 55, 75, or 85 refers to the shaft flex of the set. I found a bit of info in this thread from a few years ago: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/923313/educate-a-guy-about-colokrom-irons/p1

If I'm incorrect, hopefully one of the more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

As for making a new thread, when you're in a folder looking at the posts list, and this assumes you're using a PC or laptop instead of a tablet or phone, there's a blue bar that says New Discussion, on the right side. That's where you can start a new thread. Trying to paste an image here:

The Ever Changing Bag!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file