So you own more than one iron set...

mxskiermxskier Members Posts: 456 ✭✭

What do you do with them? Swap them regularly? Have a travel bag and a home bag? (Are they the same?) How do you express your inner golf ho?

Ping G400 LST Tour 65S
Cobra F8+ 3W/5W VA Slay 75
Callaway Apex Pro 19 3-PW Oban CT 115
Vokey SM7 52/58 Oban CT 115
TaylorMade Spider X
Taylormade TP5

Comments

• Chuck905Chuck905 Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭
    edited Jul 6, 2019 7:39am #3

Mizuno JPX 900 Tours are my back up and MP18MB both full set 3-PW are my men’s league gamers; why not?

I normally start the spring with the 900T but in prime and end of season; it’s the blades all the way. I shoot 70s with both set. Even sometimes, we play irons only in our men’s league.

Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Ping Redwood
  • Tim SherwoodTim Sherwood Members Posts: 342 ✭✭

I currently own -
    TM M1 irons 4-PW
    TM R9 irons 4-PW
    Srixon Z355 5-PW
    But none of those get a look in as in my bag there is a 4-PW set of John Letters MM Forged Prototype irons that are by far and away the best set I've ever owned. I love the idea of the tech in all my other sets, but they are all a little to big and chunky for my tastes. They all sit in various closets around the house waiting to be 'sold' and annoying my wife.

• James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 544 ✭✭

I have a number of sets. I should only have one, but I don't. By order of acquirement:
    1. Hogan Radials. My first set, restored/refinished and (as I joke) the finest condition set of Hogan Radials in the world. They live in a bag in a shed pending better display options.
    2. Taylormade Burner Plus's. My high school irons, recently replaced. I should note that one year ago, these were the only two sets I owned. They live in a box in the closet for either my dad if he wants to move on from ping zings or to sell to the high school coach to give to some kid.
    3. Hogan Apex '88's. I bought these to be my long-term set last June. Then I found they started rusting and their grooves are non-conforming. They live in a box in the closet pending better display options.
    4. Hogan Apex '99's. See above, but not rusting and groove-legal. They live in my California bag.
    5. Wilson Staff Fluid Feel Tour Blades. Intended to be a shaft-donor for other projects, but I forgot the rule of shafts and Wilson heads ("Forget about it!"). Also in a box, also in the closet.
    6. Hogan Apex Edge Pro's. My Finland clubs, that I just fired. Until this week they were my #1 gamers. They lived in my club locker in Finland. Will probably sell to my future brother-in-law.
    7. 1951 Spalding Robert Jones Registered. My vintage set, matching a set of woods from my great grandfather.
    8. Hogan Apex '03. Arrived yesterday, will go into play once re-gripped, will live in locker in Finland.

Golfing in Finland!
  • ValentValent Secret Asian Man Bangkok, ThailandMembers Posts: 27 ✭✭

Way too many sets on hand, but can't bring myself to get rid of any of them:
    1. TaylorMade rac Forged TP | 2-PW | Main gaming set, use it for most casual rounds.
    2. Mizuno MP-60 | 2-PW | Competition set, since the TMs have non-conforming grooves apparently.
    3. Wilson Staff RM | 1-PW | Used this set from '97-'07, bring out for the occasional odd round.
    4. TaylorMade rac Forged TP | 2-PW | Spare travel set, for tossing around on airlines.
    5. Mizuno MP-60 | 3-PW | My USA clubs, so don't have to lug a travel set across the ocean.
    6. Wilson Staff RM | 1-PW | Needs to be restored and refinished to playing specs.
    7. Ping Eye 2 | 1-PW-SW-LW | Replica of set I grew up with in high school, bring out for nostalgic rounds.
    8. Mizuno T-Zoid Pro II | 1-PW | Retired set used from '07-'17, occasional odd round.
    9. TaylorMade rac MB | 1-PW-GW-AW-SW-LW | Last set I bought with 1-iron, love look of blades, but game not there.
    10. TaylorMade R5 | 3-PW-SW-LW | Spare set to loan for visitors coming in from out of town.
    11. King Cobra Oversize II | 3-PW | Friend sold me the set, waiting to reshaft and sell/give away.
    12. Wilson Staff RM Fatshaft | 3-PW | Bought new, didn't realize Fatshaft kind of useless to convert to normal.
    Will most likely stop there for now, not a fan of newer irons with whacked out lofts. That being said though, trying to curtail the club addiction for now....
    -VS

TRAVEL SET
    Driver - TaylorMade 2009 Burner TP 8.5° | Alidila Rogue 125 MSI Tour I/O 60 X Flex
    3-Wood - TaylorMade 2007 Burner TP 14.5° | Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73X X Flex
    2-9 Irons - Mizuno MP-60 Cut Muscle | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
    Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50°/08F, 56°/14F, 60°/10S | Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
    Putter - TaylorMade Rossa AGSI+ Daytona 6 | Golf Pride Tour SNSR Taper 104CC Grip
    Balls - Titleist Pro V1x

HOME SET
    Driver - TaylorMade Tour Burner TP 8.5° | Aldila VS Proto 60 X Flex
    3-Wood - TaylorMade Tour Burner TP 14.5° | Aldila VS Proto 70 X Flex
    2-9 Irons - TaylorMade rac Forged TP | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
    Wedges - TaylorMade EF TP 50°/09, 56°/15, 60°/10 | KBS Tour Wedge Flex
    Putter - TaylorMade Spider Blade 32 | Golf Pride Tour SNSR Taper 104CC Grip
    Balls - TaylorMade TP5x

Grips - Golf Pride MCC | Black/Grey Plus4 ALIGN Midsize

1-Iron Option - Mizuno T-Zoid Sure 16° | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
    Putter Option - TaylorMade Rossa CGB Modena 8 | Golf Pride Tour SNSR Taper 104CC Grip
    Balls Option - Bridgestone Tour B X
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭

I have a set of wishons in the basement... when I finally replace my 22 year old irons, I’m probably going to gun metal finish them and find a place to put them.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• KeithM38KeithM38 Members Posts: 583 ✭✭

I'm new to the multi set group.
    My daily driver is my Mizuno MP4 set 3-P

My sunny Sunday let's get the roadster out set is my new P7TW set, 3-P. Both have Nippon Modus 130x, the Mizunos are soft stepped once.
    Still trying to decide if I take the TWs to Dallas for a trip...

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
    Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
    Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
    Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
    Byron Morgan 006 GSS
  • Tampajoe3Tampajoe3 Members Posts: 314 ✭✭

Current set is my Callaway Apex '19.
    They replaced Ping IE's.
    I also have a set of Hogan Edge which were my first set of real clubs, so I'm just hanging on to them for sentimental reasons.

Callaway Epic Flash w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60
    Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood with Aldila Rogue Silver 60
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 hybrid with Aldila Tour Green
    Cobra F6 4-5 hybrid with Matrix Red Tie
    Callaway Apex 19  6-AW irons with Nippon Modus 105
    Callaway MD Forged 52 with Nippon 990 shaft
     Callaway MD4 56 with Nippon Modus 105
    Callaway MD4 60 with Nippon Modus 105
    Odyssey Exo #7 or O-works #7 or Odyssey Works #7 or Bettinardi Studio Stock 9
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,043 ✭✭
    edited Jul 6, 2019 2:32pm #10

Last count was 11 full sets of irons ( not counting half sets ).
    I'll be gradually let go some of these in the next few years. Had already given away a few sets to some friends whom started the game recently.
    Most are sitting in a golf bag in the garage corner. Some are packed away in the original shipping boxes.

• ForeleftForeleft Members Posts: 2,127 ✭✭

Thread should be "so you own more than 5 sets . . ."

Would cut down on the pikers.

• LHGolf4LHGolf4 Lefty Boomers Posts: 431 ✭✭

I must be doing things wrong. I normally sell/trade anything over 2 sets.

• shanxshanx Members Posts: 790 ✭✭

Was on a "combo binge" recently, had a few sets that were purchased just to mix and match, these remain:

Callaway X20pros 3 to p, Callaway 07 X Forged 4 to p. X20s were bought a few seasons ago, the game needed some "help" as I was struggling with irons. Game improved, bought the X Forged, and comboed the lower irons with X20s.

Mizuno MP15, 5 to p, Fli Hi 4 iron. Gaming these now for a few weeks.

Mizuno MP5 3 to p. Just snagged these off of Ebay, will try them out, possibly combo with MP15s and Fli Hi.

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,788 ✭✭
    edited Jul 6, 2019 6:07pm #14

I Have 3 sets that see the course:
    Currently in play : Cobra Forged Tec Black, Modus 105 stiff
    2nd String: Srixon Z765 Modus 105 stiff
    Number 3 : Adams CB3 W Steelfiber 110 cw stiff ( I play these if my elbow or wrist starts hurting.
    I also have my dad's 1969 W/S Bullet Backs that go to the range now and then.
    My wife would love for me to get rid of some of them.......

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
    Bettinardi BB1
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • jplroperjplroper Members Posts: 452 ✭✭

Gamers: Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scots
    Backups: Titleist 962, 990, and Ping Eye 2
    Keepsakes : Royals , high school set

• BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members Posts: 4,960 ✭✭

God it is embarrassing.....I hoed a bunch, then got down to 2-3 sets, now I am at 5 and here is the how and why.

Mp14s, had since college, can't get what they are worth to me, have no desire to lose them even though I don't use them. Made them raw and with graphite for fun.

Miura small blades. These see 70% of the action. They are my trusty old show that I have the most best rounds with in last 5 years and most confidence in.

Onoff shingo cbs. In effort to find a CB set, I got these for a song, they look weird, but feel good and are forgiving as all getout. They are not my CB answer but they are intriguing with recoil proto 110s.

Onoff MB Miura forged. I stole them, then proceeded to strip and copper plate them, then put in attas 10s shafts. I put too much into them but they are beautiful and functional. Like a bigger small blade. This is my roadster set.

And I just bought Miura 1957 CB heads...doh. I was at a Edwin Watts's that had them so I hit them...mistake. I keep chasing the DCI 962s I had, these really had that vibe to me in terms of very CB but not very not CB and a squarish toe! These hopefully are my CB answer, so when I had a shot at heads for $400 on ebay, and having the roddio i10 shafts in my garage I am too scared to put on my small blades, I just bought them. Shafting up over next couple of weeks.

I really don't like having a lot of sets, I like 1 me and one CB set, and I rotate them out like having two starting pitchers. For me it is mental. If I haven't played in a while I grab the cbs, if I am playing good with either hot hand stays until not hot 2 rounds in a row sorta thing. I don't like having more than 2 sets to think about grabbing, yet here I am, on WRX with 5 sets.....reality is that hopefully the Miuras and the novelty blade sets for fun. I think you can switch iron sets with ok results in long term scoring, but you MUST have 2 sets that feel like home to you, easier said than found.

Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,171 ✭✭
    edited Jul 6, 2019 7:17pm #17

@Steve-Holloway said:
    😂😂😂😂 this is GOLFWRX ! We all own more than one set!

No, I just got rid of my "extra" irons. Only one set now. Just love them. G400. Even sold off a few putters.

But I have $179 credit at 2nd Swing...

• ByeBye EnglandMembers Posts: 1,320 ✭✭

I have a set of 716CB’s and Mizuno Mp68’s.

I had the mp68’s re shafted, the twits took all of the weight plugs out and ruined them, I am waiting for a bit of spare cash to have them re built.

Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X - 44.5 inches
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 20 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey 46.08, 50.08 - X100
    Vokey 56S, 60M - S300
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
    Titleist Pro V1X
  • mxskiermxskier Members Posts: 456 ✭✭

I've been trending down every adjustment this year (started 9.2 down to 7.1) and did it all with my Apex Pro 19 irons. But really was because of a driver change where my driving is letting me actually hit at the pin. Have been flushing my irons really well, so wanted to try out blades because, well, they're ****.

Struggling how to decide which set to play when I go out... (these are great first world problems to have)

Ping G400 LST Tour 65S
    Cobra F8+ 3W/5W VA Slay 75
    Callaway Apex Pro 19 3-PW Oban CT 115
    Vokey SM7 52/58 Oban CT 115
    TaylorMade Spider X
    Taylormade TP5
  • jamgamjamgam ClubWRX Posts: 69 ✭✭

It's a disease but I play all of mine. Been hemming over selling a few. The more I get to practice and play the more 1 set stays in the bag. I've been rebuilding my swing so been sticking with Miura CB1008 at the moment but have Small Blades, MC501, P770, P790, Z785 and a couple other older sets. I need to sell some stuff

• Hat TrickHat Trick Members Posts: 560 ✭✭

In the house...
    Dunlop Australian Blades 2-PW (1980)
    Adams CB1 4-GW
    Titleist AP2 716s (my current gamers) 4-PW

Only 3 sets - I'm not worthy!

• musclefrontmusclefront Members Posts: 151 ✭✭

I’ve kept all my sets and now have just bought a couple classics for fun....

1) ping eye 2 1-SW
    2) titleist 690mb 2-pw
    3) srixon z945 4-pw
    4) mizuno mp18 4-pw
    New ones....
    5) mizuno tn-87 3-SW
    6) mizuno ms-11 3-SW (might be best of bunch)

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,203 ✭✭

I had eight, sold 4, got 1 more, one on order

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway x2hot 14.5* 3 Deep Oban Gold 65s
    Callaway x2hot 18.5* 5 Deep Oban Purple 55x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprint 6i DG xp115 x100
    Ping Blueprint 7-PW DG s400 orange dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,253 ✭✭
    edited Jul 7, 2019 12:01am #24

I got a few sets of myself in my basement starting in chronological order by the time it was acquired.
    Wilson FG-17s in 2-PW (Bought it for $100 in 2000 when I just started golfing...didn't know better)
    1971 Wilson Staff Button Backs in 2-PW (Bought it in 2001...still didn't know better)
    2002 Tommy Armour Oversize Plus in 3-PW (Got it in the mid 2000s brand new on closeout, first and only set of irons that bought brand new)
    Maxfli Revolution Black Dots in 3-PW (Got it in the mid 2000s)
    1988 Tommy Armour 845s in 1-SW (Got it in 2014 for $100 CDN, but bought a 3-PW of them originally in 2003 but sold them off in 2005)
    Ram Axial Grinds in 2-PW (Got it for $40 CDN from Craigslist a few years ago on a lark, looking to get rid of it, PM me if you're interested, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse)
    1997 Callaway Bertha Golds in 3-SW (Got it a last year off Craigslist for $140 CDN, gifted them to my girlfriend but storing it at my place for her)
    Titleist 990s in 3-PW (Got it last Christmas from Globalgolf.ca for $100 CDN)
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex in 2-PW (Was listed on Craigslist a few days ago for $100 CDN, but got him down to $80 CDN, I practically robbed him) and the 990s are kicked out. The feel is insane and not that hard to hit compared to my 990s.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    1988 Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot 56d Sand Wedge and 52d W3 Wedge
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • dcopp7dcopp7 Members Posts: 1,027 ✭✭

I use old school blades to "hone in" my ball striking. If I can pure those, I can mash my gamers.

Cleveland Launcher 460 Titanium 10.5* driver

Cobra MAX 16.5* 3 wood

Cobra Bio Cell 19* hybrid

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 5i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

OLD Northwestern heel shaft putter
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 493 ✭✭

@dcopp7 said:
    I use old school blades to "hone in" my ball striking. If I can pure those, I can mash my gamers.

+1

My gamers g410.

My training aid irons, S55 recently picked from the bay

• PlayfromtheBrainPlayfromtheBrain Members Posts: 190 ✭✭
    edited Jul 7, 2019 4:02am #27

Mine pretty much sit in the boxes I got them in waiting for me to pull them out to look at or play with occasionally. Wish I could say I displayed them a little better considering the investment.
    Mizuno MP-33
    Mizuno MP-32
    Mizuno MP-57
    Mizuno MP-64
    Epon AF-302 Copper
    Callaway Legacy Black

Edit:
    Completely forgot about the set of Miura CB-57s, Jesus.

Post edited by PlayfromtheBrain on
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,952 ✭✭

Got a set of 33s as an “extra” set but only because it’s not worth the hassle of selling for the $150-200 I would get for them.

Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,627 ✭✭

How’d you get the 14s to a raw finish? > @Bigmean said:

God it is embarrassing.....I hoed a bunch, then got down to 2-3 sets, now I am at 5 and here is the how and why.

Mp14s, had since college, can't get what they are worth to me, have no desire to lose them even though I don't use them. Made them raw and with graphite for fun.

Miura small blades. These see 70% of the action. They are my trusty old show that I have the most best rounds with in last 5 years and most confidence in.

Onoff shingo cbs. In effort to find a CB set, I got these for a song, they look weird, but feel good and are forgiving as all getout. They are not my CB answer but they are intriguing with recoil proto 110s.

Onoff MB Miura forged. I stole them, then proceeded to strip and copper plate them, then put in attas 10s shafts. I put too much into them but they are beautiful and functional. Like a bigger small blade. This is my roadster set.

And I just bought Miura 1957 CB heads...doh. I was at a Edwin Watts's that had them so I hit them...mistake. I keep chasing the DCI 962s I had, these really had that vibe to me in terms of very CB but not very not CB and a squarish toe! These hopefully are my CB answer, so when I had a shot at heads for $400 on ebay, and having the roddio i10 shafts in my garage I am too scared to put on my small blades, I just bought them. Shafting up over next couple of weeks.

I really don't like having a lot of sets, I like 1 me and one CB set, and I rotate them out like having two starting pitchers. For me it is mental. If I haven't played in a while I grab the cbs, if I am playing good with either hot hand stays until not hot 2 rounds in a row sorta thing. I don't like having more than 2 sets to think about grabbing, yet here I am, on WRX with 5 sets.....reality is that hopefully the Miuras and the novelty blade sets for fun. I think you can switch iron sets with ok results in long term scoring, but you MUST have 2 sets that feel like home to you, easier said than found.

@Bigmean said:

• St JimmySt Jimmy Members Posts: 433 ✭✭

2 sets of CB 57's I rotate and a set of MP-25's I never touch.

Ping G400
    Ping G SFT 5W
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 3 iron
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura Y Grind 51
    Miura K Grind 56
    Scotty Golo 3
  • jbrunkjbrunk Members Posts: 613 ✭✭

Change with the seasons; less wear and tear, plus it’s fun.

Callaway 2018 X-Forged-Apex MB combo set: acquired new Fall 2017, been my primary set since then, especially during Summer season. Paired with Cobra F9 woods and Mizuno S18 wedges. I typically bag XF 5i-7i & MB 8i-PW, but own XF 4i & MB 7i to mix in. I’m considering adding XF 8i-PW...not exactly sure why.

Mizuno MP-54: acquired last Fall, like new, very little play so far, a bit in Fall 18 & Spring 19. Paired with Cobra F6 & BiO Cell Woods, SCOR & Bettinardi wedges. Will make an appearance again this Fall...or sooner?

Ping S56: bought 6i-PW on eBay this winter with a 50° wedge, later added i25 5 iron. Paired with Ping G400 driver & hybrids, Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges. Used as travel set last week, intended as “beater” set for Winter & simulator use.

Ben Hogan combo set: PTx 21-25-29, FW15 33-38, SCOR 43-48. Most irons acquired individually off eBay, shafts are mixed. Gamed a few times in Fall 2018, now mostly gathering dust; ready to reshaft before giving another go.

Cobra F9 1W Rogue MAX 65
    Cobra LTD 3W Rogue MAX 75
    Cobra F9 Tour 5W Rogue MAX 75
    Cobra F8 4Hy 22° Rogue Pro 75
    Callaway XF/MB 5i-PW Modus3 120
    Mizuno S18 52° 56° 60°
    Bettinardi iNOVAi 3.0 CS