Srixon Z Star XV

2»

Comments

• BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, see...the stock Z Star is "butter". Much like the MTB Black. Just a great all around ball with very nice feel off all the clubs. Srixon produces a very good family of balls. I'll not ever hesitate to tee up a Q Star Tour, either. I've hit that sucker well beyond my eyesight off the tee - and it feels buttery too.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star

Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

• ChoclabChoclab Members Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭

@Mike_C said: In the past I said I wanted the XV off the tee and the Z Star around the greens and off the irons, ended up preferring the regular Z Star, now I can play either ball and be happy, both are great balls in the wind.

This is how I feel. I always preferred the softer feel of the Z -- and still do really -- but I've adjusted to the harder feel of the XV. Also, when I used the XV in previous years I didn't think it grabbed quite enough around the greens, but this year I feel the difference is so small that I can't tell much difference. Several times I don't think the Z could have stopped any quicker for me than the XV did.

In fact, if anyone on here might want to trade some of their XVs for my Zs, I'd be in. I bought a couple dozen Zs on that 2-for-1 deal before it had really sunk in to my thick head that I think I prefer the XV now.

Srixon Z785, Cleve persimmon 3W, Ram TW276 3-PW, Miz Mp raw 56, Wilson 8813
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭

I broke down and bought some XV's to compare to my current gamer Snell MTB X. I only compared it on a short-game practice session where I would chip from within 50 yards and putting.

1. The XV was consistently coming up shorter on pitches than the X. Not by a lot, but consistently shorter. Could probably adjust to this over time, but would definitely leave me further away from the hole for a while.
    2. Was #1 above related to the XV spinning more. I don't think so because both balls seem to release the same distance. But speaking of spin, I do think the X provided a little more spin when both were hit the same. Seemed like the Snell would grab a little better and check up.
    3. Sound. The XV has a peculiar sound when putting. It reminded me of hitting something that was hollow inside. The Snell just sounded very firm and solid. Putting distance was about the same.

I'm going to have another practice session with them today and see if those differences hold true. Right now, I don't see any benefit to switching.

• chippa13chippa13 Members Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Finished today's round with the XV for a handful of holes. Can't say exactly why but I just love this ball when I'm swinging decently.

• TorontogolfaddictTorontogolfaddict Members Posts: 23 ✭✭

Maybe too much back spin or slow swing speed ,93. XV is the shortest ball I have ever played. Feel and green side spin are ok but distance compared to prov x I ve used many years is always around 10 yard short. Callaway supersoft which using for tournament is 20 or more yard longer cause of less backspin, more roll.

• ihatecats18ihatecats18 Members Posts: 286 ✭✭✭✭

My xv is much longer than any ProV1 i have played in the last year. Great spin into greens as well.

• Driver: M3 w xtorsion copper 70x
    • Wood: m3 w xtorsion copper 70x
    • Hybrid: Cobra F7 set to 20
    • Irons: Wilson F 100, 5-PW
    • Wedges: Titleist- GW 52 SM4 - SW 56 SM4.
    • Putter: Never Compromise Dinero 35"

• Ball: TM TP5
  • chisagchisag Members Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@CDM said:

Agree great ball but what fits my game best right now has been the TPX5, just fits me better. If the TP line was not around it would be a coin toss between the XV, ProV1X or the Snell MTB.

... The TP5x has been my favorite ball ever since it's release. I have never liked the Srixon XV as it felt like a Top Flite from 1975 and just super hard. Granted I swing around 100 and did not compress it enough to get a good feel from it. But the 2019 version seems much softer feeling and gives me just about equal performance as my favorite TP5x's. High launch, low spin and excellent green side control as well as awesome performance in the wind.

... I played 107 rounds in 117 days last winter in Phoenix and I went thru a ton of balls in the desert. Anything just slightly off-line can result in a bad cut or scrape. When I found a $10 for a Srixon XV Promo 6pack deal, I picked up 10 dozen for $199 shipped.

Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Tensei Orange 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F8 18.5* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
    Tailor-made RBZ Tour  21.5 hybrid ... Matrix Altus 85s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90hy
    4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@chisag said:

@CDM said:

Agree great ball but what fits my game best right now has been the TPX5, just fits me better. If the TP line was not around it would be a coin toss between the XV, ProV1X or the Snell MTB.

... The TP5x has been my favorite ball ever since it's release. I have never liked the Srixon XV as it felt like a Top Flite from 1975 and just super hard. Granted I swing around 100 and did not compress it enough to get a good feel from it. But the 2019 version seems much softer feeling and gives me just about equal performance as my favorite TP5x's. High launch, low spin and excellent green side control as well as awesome performance in the wind.

... I played 107 rounds in 117 days last winter in Phoenix and I went thru a ton of balls in the desert. Anything just slightly off-line can result in a bad cut or scrape. When I found a $10 for a Srixon XV Promo 6pack deal, I picked up 10 dozen for $199 shipped.

I picked up some the $10 - 6 packs also. I have been switching back and forth the last month and both are excellent balls. If I have to lock one in still would be the TP5x but the XV is right there with the '19 model. Great balls, plus to me it feels a bit better off the putter.

• lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Members Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CDM said:

@chisag said:

@CDM said:

I picked up some the $10 - 6 packs also. I have been switching back and forth the last month and both are excellent balls. If I have to lock one in still would be the TP5x but the XV is right there with the '19 model. Great balls, plus to me it feels a bit better off the putter.

If you go to any of their demo events they will sell zstar dozens for $20. I typically stock up when they are in town.

• ludddyludddy Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

I recently picked up some z stars. Only surprise was that they aren't as soft as I thought they would be. I'd buy them again though.

• Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,166 ClubWRX

Just got a sleeve of yellow XV, they are fantastic. Don't know if it was mentioned but after one swing off the driver, the seem becomes visible. I will have to see if it's there on my last un hit ball, but I thought it was weird. Anyone else tried the yellow ones and noticed this?

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Titleist TS2 15* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 70g
    Titleist 915h 21*  Rogue black 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT  SS1x
    Titleist SM6 52/58
    Taylormade Spider Tour red 34"

• trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2019 11:59pm #43

@Nixhex524 said:
    Just got a sleeve of yellow XV, they are fantastic. Don't know if it was mentioned but after one swing off the driver, the seem becomes visible. I will have to see if it's there on my last un hit ball, but I thought it was weird. Anyone else tried the yellow ones and noticed this?

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19001810#Comment_19001810

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file