Srixon Z Star XV

Comments

• BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members  1599WRX Points: 471Posts: 1,599 Platinum Tees

Yeah, see...the stock Z Star is "butter". Much like the MTB Black. Just a great all around ball with very nice feel off all the clubs. Srixon produces a very good family of balls. I'll not ever hesitate to tee up a Q Star Tour, either. I've hit that sucker well beyond my eyesight off the tee - and it feels buttery too.

Posted:
    Ping GMax 400, Tour Stiff, 8*
    Mizuno Forged JPX 900 Irons
    A Couple of Ping Glide Wedges
    Ping Anser G Putter
    Ping G400 5-Wood
    Snell MTB-X
    Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1812WRX Points: 276Handicap: ?Posts: 1,812 Platinum Tees

Q-star is getting enough love to make a consideration. I like the feel of the XV.

Posted:
  • ChoclabChoclab Members  402WRX Points: 168Posts: 402 Greens

On -, @Mike_C said: In the past I said I wanted the XV off the tee and the Z Star around the greens and off the irons, ended up preferring the regular Z Star, now I can play either ball and be happy, both are great balls in the wind.

This is how I feel. I always preferred the softer feel of the Z -- and still do really -- but I've adjusted to the harder feel of the XV. Also, when I used the XV in previous years I didn't think it grabbed quite enough around the greens, but this year I feel the difference is so small that I can't tell much difference. Several times I don't think the Z could have stopped any quicker for me than the XV did.

In fact, if anyone on here might want to trade some of their XVs for my Zs, I'd be in. I bought a couple dozen Zs on that 2-for-1 deal before it had really sunk in to my thick head that I think I prefer the XV now.

Posted:
    Srixon Z785, Cleve persimmon 3W, Ram TW276 3-PW, Miz Mp raw 56, Wilson 8813
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Golf Nut Omaha, NEMembers  846WRX Points: 288Handicap: 12Posts: 846 Golden Tee

I broke down and bought some XV's to compare to my current gamer Snell MTB X. I only compared it on a short-game practice session where I would chip from within 50 yards and putting.

1. The XV was consistently coming up shorter on pitches than the X. Not by a lot, but consistently shorter. Could probably adjust to this over time, but would definitely leave me further away from the hole for a while.
    2. Was #1 above related to the XV spinning more. I don't think so because both balls seem to release the same distance. But speaking of spin, I do think the X provided a little more spin when both were hit the same. Seemed like the Snell would grab a little better and check up.
    3. Sound. The XV has a peculiar sound when putting. It reminded me of hitting something that was hollow inside. The Snell just sounded very firm and solid. Putting distance was about the same.

I'm going to have another practice session with them today and see if those differences hold true. Right now, I don't see any benefit to switching.

Posted:

Mavrik Driver 10.5* Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 3w Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 5w Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 4h Recoil ES Smacwrap 760 F2

Callaway Apex CF19's 5i - PW Recoil 760 F2

Callaway MD5 48* - 54* Project X Catalyst 80

Callaway Chrome Soft 2020

Stroke Lab One

• chippa13chippa13 Members  2536WRX Points: 348Posts: 2,536 Titanium Tees

Finished today's round with the XV for a handful of holes. Can't say exactly why but I just love this ball when I'm swinging decently.

Posted:
  • TorontogolfaddictTorontogolfaddict Members  25WRX Points: 15Posts: 25 Bunkers

Maybe too much back spin or slow swing speed ,93. XV is the shortest ball I have ever played. Feel and green side spin are ok but distance compared to prov x I ve used many years is always around 10 yard short. Callaway supersoft which using for tournament is 20 or more yard longer cause of less backspin, more roll.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ihatecats18ihatecats18 MinnesotaMembers  293WRX Points: 67Handicap: 1.0Posts: 293 Greens

My xv is much longer than any ProV1 i have played in the last year. Great spin into greens as well.

Posted:
    • Driver: TBD
    • Wood: m3 w xtorsion copper 70x
    • Hybrid: Adams XTD 4i
    • Irons: Wilson F 100, 5-PW
    • Wedges: Titleist- GW 52 SM4 - Cleveland Xlow 58
    • Putter:  Versa 2 ball35"

• Ball:  Random Urethane
  • chisagchisag Chicago SuburbsMembers  3370WRX Points: 795Handicap: +0.3Posts: 3,370 Titanium Tees

On -, @CDM said:

Agree great ball but what fits my game best right now has been the TPX5, just fits me better. If the TP line was not around it would be a coin toss between the XV, ProV1X or the Snell MTB.

... The TP5x has been my favorite ball ever since it's release. I have never liked the Srixon XV as it felt like a Top Flite from 1975 and just super hard. Granted I swing around 100 and did not compress it enough to get a good feel from it. But the 2019 version seems much softer feeling and gives me just about equal performance as my favorite TP5x's. High launch, low spin and excellent green side control as well as awesome performance in the wind.

... I played 107 rounds in 117 days last winter in Phoenix and I went thru a ton of balls in the desert. Anything just slightly off-line can result in a bad cut or scrape. When I found a $10 for a Srixon XV Promo 6pack deal, I picked up 10 dozen for $199 shipped.

Posted:
    Cobra Xtreme 9* Tour Length ... Tensei Orange 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra SZ 17* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
    TaylorMade GAPR Mid ... KBS 80Hys
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90Hys
    4-pw TaylorMade P790/760 ... Steelfiber 95's/Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM8 M Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • CDMCDM Members  2041WRX Points: 277Posts: 2,041 Platinum Tees

On -, @chisag said:

On -, @CDM said:

Agree great ball but what fits my game best right now has been the TPX5, just fits me better. If the TP line was not around it would be a coin toss between the XV, ProV1X or the Snell MTB.

... The TP5x has been my favorite ball ever since it's release. I have never liked the Srixon XV as it felt like a Top Flite from 1975 and just super hard. Granted I swing around 100 and did not compress it enough to get a good feel from it. But the 2019 version seems much softer feeling and gives me just about equal performance as my favorite TP5x's. High launch, low spin and excellent green side control as well as awesome performance in the wind.

... I played 107 rounds in 117 days last winter in Phoenix and I went thru a ton of balls in the desert. Anything just slightly off-line can result in a bad cut or scrape. When I found a $10 for a Srixon XV Promo 6pack deal, I picked up 10 dozen for $199 shipped.

I picked up some the $10 - 6 packs also. I have been switching back and forth the last month and both are excellent balls. If I have to lock one in still would be the TP5x but the XV is right there with the '19 model. Great balls, plus to me it feels a bit better off the putter.

Posted:
  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam SoCalMembers  630WRX Points: 232Handicap: 2.7Posts: 630 Golden Tee

On -, @CDM said:

On -, @chisag said:

On -, @CDM said:

I picked up some the $10 - 6 packs also. I have been switching back and forth the last month and both are excellent balls. If I have to lock one in still would be the TP5x but the XV is right there with the '19 model. Great balls, plus to me it feels a bit better off the putter.

If you go to any of their demo events they will sell zstar dozens for $20. I typically stock up when they are in town.

Posted:
  • ludddyludddy Members  23WRX Points: 22Posts: 23 Bunkers

I recently picked up some z stars. Only surprise was that they aren't as soft as I thought they would be. I'd buy them again though.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX  4761WRX Points: 520Handicap: 4Posts: 4,761 ClubWRX

Just got a sleeve of yellow XV, they are fantastic. Don't know if it was mentioned but after one swing off the driver, the seem becomes visible. I will have to see if it's there on my last un hit ball, but I thought it was weird. Anyone else tried the yellow ones and noticed this?

Posted:
    Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*
    Titleist 917f2 16.5* 
    Titleist 915h 21* 
    Srixon Z745 4-P
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50, SM7 56
    Odyssey WHP 7 34"
    Srixon Z85 stand bag
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJMembers  1115WRX Points: 295Handicap: 4Posts: 1,115 Platinum Tees

On -, @Nixhex524 said:

Just got a sleeve of yellow XV, they are fantastic. Don't know if it was mentioned but after one swing off the driver, the seem becomes visible. I will have to see if it's there on my last un hit ball, but I thought it was weird. Anyone else tried the yellow ones and noticed this?

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19001810#Comment_19001810

Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
    2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
    Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX  4761WRX Points: 520Handicap: 4Posts: 4,761 ClubWRX

On -, @trackcoach13 said:

On -, @Nixhex524 said:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19001810#Comment_19001810

Thanks, my bad for not searching first.

Posted:
    Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*
    Titleist 917f2 16.5* 
    Titleist 915h 21* 
    Srixon Z745 4-P
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50, SM7 56
    Odyssey WHP 7 34"
    Srixon Z85 stand bag
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members  1599WRX Points: 471Posts: 1,599 Platinum Tees

On -, @jjfcpa said:

I broke down and bought some XV's to compare to my current gamer Snell MTB X. I only compared it on a short-game practice session where I would chip from within 50 yards and putting.
    1. The XV was consistently coming up shorter on pitches than the X. Not by a lot, but consistently shorter. Could probably adjust to this over time, but would definitely leave me further away from the hole for a while.

I'm going to have another practice session with them today and see if those differences hold true. Right now, I don't see any benefit to switching.

Yeah, I gamed an XV yesterday. One one par 3 my buddy hit his 9 iron and I hit my 7 and we were about a yard apart, about 145 yards or so. He tends to hit the irons well, though. But, I've learned to club up on approach shots with the XV. Driver is a different story. Great driving ball for me.

Posted:
    Ping GMax 400, Tour Stiff, 8*
    Mizuno Forged JPX 900 Irons
    A Couple of Ping Glide Wedges
    Ping Anser G Putter
    Ping G400 5-Wood
    Snell MTB-X
    Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA
  • adc03adc03 Members  36WRX Points: 34Handicap: 5Posts: 36 Bunkers

Our club just started carrying these and we love them. Longest premium ball for me

Posted:

Advertisement
  • VGVGVGVG Bryn Mawr, PAMembers  78WRX Points: 51Handicap: 6Posts: 78 Fairways

Make sure you try them in the wind. They are amazing!

Posted:
  • TheInfidelTheInfidel Gotta let the Big Dog eat.... Members  1629WRX Points: 257Posts: 1,629 Platinum Tees

I'm testing between the 18 and 19 Z Star XV currently, but tbh it's just a great ball for me.
    I've found it really long on mid irons and excellent in the wind.

Posted:

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
    • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
    • Adams Idea A7 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
    • Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
    • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
    • Mizuno S18 50* Nippon NS PRO 1150GH Tour X +0.5'
    • Nike Engage Raw 54* S400 +0.5'
    • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* S400 +0.5'
    • Odyssey Dual Force 990 

• rstlnerstlne Chasing Fairways is like trying to chase that Supermodel..... West CoastClubWRX  229WRX Points: 68Handicap: Beer Posts: 229 Fairways

This current model XV feels perfect, Previous model was good but a bit on the harder side. The current model seems to be consistently about 10 yards longer for me as well, with the driver. The XV has made me stop thinking if the OG KSig will ever return lol.

I have been noticing the seam as some folks have mentioned I think on another thread, and it doesnt seem as durable as last year's but god, everything else feels and performs perfect with this current model. To be fair with current models, I think the XV is more durable than the other premium balls for me on 50 yard wedge shots. I will probably stock up with 10+ dozen whenever the next great sale comes around.

Posted:
  • soregongolfersoregongolfer Roseburg, ORMembers  1563WRX Points: 351Handicap: 3Posts: 1,563 Platinum Tees

On -, @Nixhex524 said:

Yes, I finally got around to buying this year's XV and have noticed the seam after a smack or two. The ball is also less durable than past iterations. They should have left the old design alone.

Posted:
  • gleunggleung Members  78WRX Points: 68Posts: 78 Fairways

picked up a couple boxes of these in yellow and white. Anyone notice that the yellow balls seem a little harder (but more durable) than the white? Seems strange that just a different color will play differently...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NailedItNailedIt Members  114WRX Points: 101Handicap: 6.3Posts: 114 Fairways

On -, @gleung said:

picked up a couple boxes of these in yellow and white. Anyone notice that the yellow balls seem a little harder (but more durable) than the white? Seems strange that just a different color will play differently...

I’ve always thought this with the srixons. I read somewhere that if you wanted a little softer feeling xv to buy the yellow z star. It falls right in between the z star and xv white in feel. I haven’t personally tried this as I don’t mind the feel of the xv but they are a harder ball for sure.

Posted:
  • NailedItNailedIt Members  114WRX Points: 101Handicap: 6.3Posts: 114 Fairways

It does seem like srixon puts almost a clear coat like surface on their yellow ball which makes me wonder if that doesn’t contribute to the firmer feel.

Posted:
  • adkleeadklee Members  81WRX Points: 68Posts: 81 Fairways

On -, @gleung said:

Yeah, I noticed this in the previous (5th) gen yellow XV. Turned me off to Srixon balls at first since it was the first XV I ever tried. But then tried the regular white XV later on and loved it. Weird how the color makes a noticeable difference in feel. A yellow XV with the same feel/performance as the regular white XV would be awesome for fall/winter when there are more leaves, plugged balls, etc.

Posted:
  • gleunggleung Members  78WRX Points: 68Posts: 78 Fairways

The Srixon yellow is a bit ugly too! It's got a metallic flake in the paint, and looks a little childish to my eyes.

Posted:
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1812WRX Points: 276Handicap: ?Posts: 1,812 Platinum Tees

I actually think that Srixon yellow is very respectable. Easily trackable in the air. The "fleck" you're talking about, I agree, isn't in other balls to my knowledge but, it's far from childish. I'm sure Srixon, one of the best and longest balls on tour, designed a ball to trigger you.

So, in GolfWRX typical fashion of blaming every fault of the game on the equipment and not the player technique, I'd figure I would chime in on my feelings of the Srixon Z-Star XV.
    I played a round yesterday of 9 holes at a boring, flat course, on the longer size, very firm and sun baked greens on the moderately fast side. Nothing earth shattering tour quick but, not carpet. So, the feel of the ball is great. Even the for X version of a ball. It's a good feeling ball.
    Durability is decent. Not TP5 (2017 model) or KSIG (Kirkland) 4 Piece HORRENDOUS but, not ProV1 good. A happy medium between the two.
    The ball flies well in the wind. I didn't have any ballooning unless I properly had a descending blow on my driver. The ball was respectably long. Definitely flew far and high even for me.
    My only problem with the ball performance from yesterday was not holding greens. Too much rollout from ships, approach, etc. I also had 2 7s and a 9 yesterday...That doesn't happen when I'm playing with Nike RZN Tour Plats.
    Again, it's never the golfer. Always the ball. So, I'll be trying out other balls. But out of 5 Stars, I happy give this a 3.75.
    As a caveat to this mini review, I'll say that I've played Torrey Pine South with the ball as well. It didn't go well there either but, you know my theory by now. And, if you didn't quite understand my review and extreme sense of facetiousness (my inner New England roots), that's what I'm going for.
    This is a GREAT ball for the price. It just might not be my ball of choice. I am a bit more of a fan of the regular Z-Star.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • FlashinLeatherFlashinLeather FloridaMembers  193WRX Points: 65Handicap: 9Posts: 193 Fairways

Any idea when they are going to do the BOGO or $20 a box deal again? Looks like the KP1 is not going to live up to the hype and I am starting to run low.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5 - AD DI 7x
    TS2 Hybrid 19* - AD DI 95x
    Titleist 718 T-MB - 2i - X100
    TaylorMade P790 - 4i-AW - X100
    Vokey - 55.5, 60
    Bettinardi - BB8 Dass / QB6 / iNOVAi 5.0 CS / BB40 | EVNROLL - ER5B w/ BGT Stability Shaft
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • adkleeadklee Members  81WRX Points: 68Posts: 81 Fairways

On -, @FlashinLeather said:

Any idea when they are going to do the BOGO or $20 a box deal again? Looks like the KP1 is not going to live up to the hype and I am starting to run low.

I think the BOGO sales are usually earlier in the season. Golfdiscount has $9/6-ball trial pack of the previous gen (v.5) on sale.

Posted:
  • jdvela55jdvela55 Sin City, NVMembers  557WRX Points: 105Posts: 557 Golden Tee

On -, @adklee said:

I think the BOGO sales are usually earlier in the season. Golfdiscount has $9/6-ball trial pack of the previous gen (v.5) on sale.

You can get the V.6 also.

Posted:
    FORMERLY KNOWN AS AZTEC575

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Callaway Xhot 3 deep Oban Revenge
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Callaway Apex 5 - PW w/ KBS V Steel
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
    Callaway MD 2 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges

Advertisement
  • jdvela55jdvela55 Sin City, NVMembers  557WRX Points: 105Posts: 557 Golden Tee

On -, @adklee said:

NO MORE V.6's on there!

Posted:
    FORMERLY KNOWN AS AZTEC575

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Callaway Xhot 3 deep Oban Revenge
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Callaway Apex 5 - PW w/ KBS V Steel
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
    Callaway MD 2 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.