BUYER BEWARE!!! COUNTERFEIT 410 PLUS’S ON THE MARKET

joedizzy1978joedizzy1978 Members Posts: 133 ✭✭
edited Jul 9, 2019 6:21pm in Deal or No Deal? #1

Purchased a Ping 410 Plus from a private seller in which I’ve made purchases before (he was innocent of any malice and gladly returned my money). Head was shafted with a GD IZ 5s. Everything passed the looks test as I had a 410 Lst head to compare. Things became suspicious when I measured out the shaft for tipping as it calculated to a two inch cut from the head end. Strange. Did a little simple math as I knew and uninstalled GD shaft is 46 inches and found that things didn’t pan out. Took off the grip and there wasn’t a laser etched serial number or the holographic sticker. Moved onto the head and will let the pictures tell the story. A little background. I’ve played the last six generations of Ping drivers and this thing passed the visual test. Side by side at address, there were no differences. The best counterfeit I’ve ever seen for a shaft and a driver head. Buyer beware as I wouldn’t doubt that these heads are in smaller stores as new or big box stores on trade in. I’ve held past generations of Ping counterfeit drivers and didn’t need more than a second to know they were fake. This thing was on another level (serial number passed and matched with Ping as a 410sft). Sorry for the lack of photos, once I found out it was fake, my focus was on getting my money back.

Post edited by joedizzy1978 on

Comments

• joedizzy1978joedizzy1978 Members Posts: 133 ✭✭

Here’s a list of what you should look out for:

1. The word “PLUS” was printed and as a result flat. Real deal has the wording raised to the touch.
    2. Triangle beneath the serial number was not flush to the edge of the hosel.
    3. Hot melt port was raised and for a star tool where as the real deal sits flush to the wall and is a hex pattern.
    4. The words “Forged Face” was printed not laser etched like the real deal.
    5. Sleeve was semi gloss (matte on the real) and the ferrule was gloss, not the rubber composite like it’s supposed to be. Ferrule was the correct shape. Fake sleeve fit into real head and vice versa.
    6. Headcover stitching at the opening was close to the edge where as the real headcover has it an 1/8 of inch from the end. There are six red stripes on the headcover. The fake has it where they don’t taper. Head slid in easily to a real headcover whereas the fake was a little too snug halfway in. Font and colors are dead on.
    7. The crown of the driver was virtually a dead match in looks and paint. No sloppy paint lines at all. On the fake, one of the two raised rail lines stopped a small amount short. I feel you would only be able to tell if you had the real head sitting side by side to the counterfeit.

I hope this helps someone out there from getting duped. These guys are getting really good

• thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 2,992 ✭✭

Good catch. Lots of really subtle inconsistencies compared to the real one that the average buyer wouldn't notice! Glad to hear the seller is refunding you and I feel bad for him he got duped by the scammers.

• chungnjnchungnjn ClubWRX Posts: 130 ClubWRX

Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the serial matches because a lot of us depend on it.

• phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Members Posts: 1,967 ✭✭

Jeez, I sell these things I couldn't tell the difference. Is it possible that these just came from different factories (i.e. the LST is made in a different place vs. the Plus hence the production delay)? Did you call to verify the serial number...if it did...it might just be another factory perhaps? Or a UK vs. NA thing?

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Triple Diamond 9* - TPT 16 MKP
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3+ 12.5* - TPT 16 MKP
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 17* - Fujikura Ventus 7
    Callaway Epic Flash 20* - Fujikura Ventus 7
    Callaway Epic Flash 23* hybrid - VA Composites Raijin 84H
    Callaway Epic Forged 6-PW, AW, GW - Oban CT-100
    Callaway 2019 PM Grind Tour Grey 56* - Shimada Wedge
    Toulon Garage Atlanta Single Bend Custom Black Out - Stability
    Lamkin Sonar Standard Plus and SuperStroke 2.0 XL
    edited Jul 8, 2019 1:31pm #7

Whoever masterminded this counterfeit went through the process to penetrate many lines of defense. This serial number belongs to a head from Japan. This makes it so the consumer believes any subtle differences are as a result of two different production lines. Once the serial number checks out, the consumer is fooled and the product can stay on the market undetected for a longer period of time. I fully believe this counterfeit was made to penetrate the legit online and small box store market. It was also good enough to trade in at your local big box store for credit so the reassurance of someone having a receipt from an authorized dealer is no longer a full-proof manner for the consumer to establish legitimacy if purchasing used. I’m not your “average” consumer and this product fooled me upon initial inspection. Had it not been for the odd measurements in the Graphite Design shaft, I wouldn’t have taken a more scrutinized look. Also, I was fortunate to have a legitimate head to do a more detailed inspection. This counterfeit will also fool your more sophisticated consumer.

• steveoly32steveoly32 ClubWRX Posts: 56 ClubWRX

Sucks of course, but **** great eye. The fake looks pretty good. The only thing that really stood out to me when looking at your initial pics was the "Forged Face". Those are definitely fake non-Ping "F's" on the fake. Thanks for sharing.

Ping G410 Plus 10* PX Evenflow Black / Callaway Epic Flash 10* GD Tour AD DI 6S
    Callaway Epic Flash 17* PX HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX Catalyst 70S
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-PW Project X LZ 5.5
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50/8, 55/9 DG TT S200
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM 60/12 KBS Hi Rev 2.0
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • 12aces12aces Members Posts: 344 ✭✭

So are you guys thinking a club like this is a complete fake, or an unfinished head that made its way out the back door, finished, then sold?!

• Titleist_242Titleist_242 ClubWRX Posts: 1,625 ✭✭

Are we sure it’s a fake? Two different heads.. how’s it hit?

917D3 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi Tour Ltd 60-04
    915F 15 Speeder Evo 661S Blue
    716 T-MB 2 Project X LZ 6.0
    716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
    714 AP2 Modus3 125S
    SC Buttonback Newport 34"
    TVD M 50/54
    TVD V 60
  • drake47drake47 Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭

Is it possible to get side by sides with a known legit 410 plus head? Comparing a Plus and an LST might not be conclusive.

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash - Tensei White CK Pro
    5 Wood - Ping G410 - Hzrdus Red
    Hybrid - Srixon H85 - Fubuki AX
    Irons - 4-PW - Mizuno JPX 900 Tour S300 AMT
    Wedges - Ping Stealth 50, 56, 60
    Putter - Ping Craz E Vault 2.0 
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,331 ✭✭

Is the ferrule on the adapter made of a different material?

“I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot

Will be my last response to this post. To those questioning whether it’s not a fake, I think the evidence listed above is sufficient. I’m not here to debate, just want to raise awareness so that others don’t get scammed. Most, if not all other questions have been answered

• kdog25kdog25 Members Posts: 1,626 ✭✭

@12aces said:

Maybe don’t start a discussion about a club if you’re not willing to.....discuss it?

@joedizzy1978 said:
    Will be my last response to this post. To those questioning whether it’s not a fake, I think the evidence listed above is sufficient. I’m not here to debate, just want to raise awareness so that others don’t get scammed. Most, if not all other questions have been answered

Maybe the mods can develop an icon and put it next to his name so we know in the future not to question anything he posts.

• brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,778 ✭✭

I don't think it makes much sense to compare 2 different driver models and make a conclusion. The most logical explanation so far is that different factories produced the LST and Plus models resulting in the minor differences. The serial # checking out, but being some mastermind plan, seems quite the conspiracy theory. Now it could very well be a fake shaft in a legit head, especially with the recent flood of fake GD shafts. Did the PING serial # include info regarding the shaft? Or would PING only provide info on the head?

PING i20 10.5*
    Adams LP 15*
    Adams a7 19*
    Titleist 718 AP1
    Titleist SM6 52.08F, 58.08M
    Odyssey White Hot #1
  • t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,793 ✭✭

Ping serial will show all information about the build, shaft, length, swingweight, etc.

The differences are consistent with my Plus head so I would tend to lean toward fake as well, especially that piece near the adjustable screw. I agree the whole grand conspiracy thing is reaching a little bit as well, but it’s good to know that there are potentially fakes out there as I don’t recall seeing many if any Pings being faked in the past.

Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - TBD
    TBD
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.08F - DG S300
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.11T - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway MD4 Raw 60.08C - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
  • nfmotonfmoto Members Posts: 202 ✭✭

100% fake. How do you guys not get that?

• OknowsOknows Members Posts: 1,126 ✭✭

Definitely fake. Compared to my 410+ and all the things you mentioned are pretty obvious once you know to look for them.

Ping G410 Plus at 8* w/ Diamana W 70x
    Callaway Rogue 15* w/ PX Evnflow Blue 75x
    Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
    Ping i500 3 iron (17*) w/ DG 120 x100
    Titleist 816 H1 23*
    Callaway CF16 5-AW w/ DG 120 s300
    Ping Glide 2.0 54* w/ DG 120 s300
    Ping Glide 2.0 58* w/ DG 120 s300
    Evnroll ER1

The fonts are wrong too.

• 12aces12aces Members Posts: 344 ✭✭

@thevaporz said:

Its called a discussion man. What is wrong with people discussing the club in question? Are you able to answer my question that hasn't been touched yet?

are you guys thinking a club like this is a complete fake, or an unfinished head that made its way out the back door, finished, then sold?!

No. It's a counterfeit club. Complete fugazi.

• drake47drake47 Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭

@thevaporz said:

I was just looking for a side by side with another Plus head for my own knowledge. The DHgate link from NFMOTO pretty much confirms it.

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash - Tensei White CK Pro
    5 Wood - Ping G410 - Hzrdus Red
    Hybrid - Srixon H85 - Fubuki AX
    Irons - 4-PW - Mizuno JPX 900 Tour S300 AMT
    Wedges - Ping Stealth 50, 56, 60
    Putter - Ping Craz E Vault 2.0 
  • IDrive300FsportIDrive300Fsport ClubWRX Posts: 57 ClubWRX

Lol to all the members questioning whether it’s fake. Ping’s quality control is very good. It’s obvious it’s a fake. My buddy has both 410 plus and LST. And I can guarantee it looks nothing like the fake that is posted. If you guys need absolute assurance whether it’s fake or not. I’m sure you can find time to run down to your local golf shop to compare.