How many have found their "utopia" golf ball?

jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭

I look for anything and everything that will improve my game. That includes golf clubs and balls. I'm not ready to spend $ 50 a dozen for golf balls even though I seldom lose a ball and can afford it. So after playing a lot of the premium balls offered by the big OEM's, I decided to move to the DTC (direct-to-consumer) golf balls. I started with the Snell MTB more than a year ago when they were first released. Seemed like a very good ball for the money and when buying in bulk (5 dozen or more), the price gets under $ 30. As time went on, I still experimented with golf balls to try and find the one that might help my game. I was looking for launch and spin that would align with my swing characteristics. I found myself moving back to the big OEM's offerings again and playing them for a while until I decided to move to a firmer ball based on the ball test done on that other website. I'm a senior golfer with a slower swing speed, but according to the research, softer balls do not go as far as firmer balls... PERIOD. I decided to purchase some Snell MTB X, even though I had tried the MTB Red a year a ago and felt that it was just too firm.

I tried the X on a couple of holes and didn't like the feel and really didn't see any improvement in distance or spin. A week or so went by and I decided to play a full 18 with the MTB X the only ball in my bag. I guess it took that kind of commitment before I could see what I was missing. Distance was definitely longer than any other ball I had played irregardless of the club I was using. Spin on approach shots was excellent to the point that I changed the way I now hit shots into the green. Before I was anticipating some rollout and now I'm expecting the ball to stop in a very short distance ...and that's exactly what I get. I've made the MTB X my permanent "utopia" ball and won't be looking for anything better.

Just wondering if anyone else has made this journey and what you settled on?

Comments

• Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Ive become a big fan of the Wilson Duo lately. Very soft, good distance, decent spin on full shots and fairly cheap.

• Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

GamerSoft, sadly they are gone

• texcromtexcrom ClubWRX Posts: 3,542 ClubWRX

I’m sure I’ll get a rash of **** on this, but.......Titleist ProV1X.
    It’s long, has just the right amount of spin and feels great. For me, at least.
    I’ve played Titleist balls since 1968. It is the ball by which all balls are measured, and probably always will be.

Any combination of 14 of the clubs below make up the bag at any given time:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff 
    Titleist TS3 16.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist U-500 20 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 90g Stiff (August 30th)
    Titleist T-100 4-PW AMT Tour White S-300 (August 30th)
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron & 4 iron Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 AP2 4 - PW AMT Tour White S-300 - WAITING FOR CORRECT SET!
    Titleist Vokey SM7 46-10F, 50-08F, 54-10S, 58-12D, 60-10S, 60-12D
    Titleist Scotty Cameron T-22 Newport 
    Titleist Scotty Cameron T-22 Newport 2 
    Titleist Pro V1X
    GO VOLS!
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jjfcpa said:
    I look for anything and everything that will improve my game. That includes golf clubs and balls. I'm not ready to spend $ 50 a dozen for golf balls even though I seldom lose a ball and can afford it.

No offense but when someone posts something like this most people think it's about the money. LOL

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been completely satisfied with Bridgestone BXS and Tru-vis

• JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Chadwickog said:
    I found it, it was called the Nike RZN Platinum. I have yet to find its replacement.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Platinum the best ball ever made.

Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R - CAMO!
    Cobra F9 15* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have recently settled on the B XS and couldn't be happier. Not sure it's my favourite all time ball, but out of what's around right now it's the best combo of distance/spin/feel/durability for my game. If balls were free I'd play the B XS over every other ball. Z Star and TP5 also very good balls.

• playaplaya Members Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Justsomeguy said:

@Chadwickog said:
    I found it, it was called the Nike RZN Platinum. I have yet to find its replacement.

Not sure if you are talking about the last gen Tour Platinum, which were apparently very good balls (but cost $10 a box more than ProV1 in Oz), but the first RZN Platinums were very poor balls from my experience. Short, not much spin and very hard/clicky feel.

• monks66monks66 Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justsomeguy said:

@Chadwickog said:

IMHO the Taylor Made LDP RED was the best ball ever made .....who can back me on that?

• Hammer22Hammer22 Members Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jjfcpa said:
    ...but according to the research, softer balls do not go as far as firmer balls... PERIOD.

Total B.S. My driver SS is close to 110 and I switched to the '18 Project (a) - hit it just as far, if not farther, than any of those "$50" balls. Its compression is right there with the Chrome Soft and close to the BXS, it feels fantastic, and there is no shortage of performance. That being said, I also switch around to the new TP5 (great deals on the Pix version), and even though it is slightly firmer, can't tell the difference off any clubs other than the driver - and not by much. Great deals can be had on the Project (a) - have gotten most of mine for <$25/dozen. Dean Snell gets the credit for that ball as well.

@Chadwickog said:

Thought the same thing until I tried the TM balls. The Nike was fantastic other than it being slightly 'clicky', but sold off all 60 dozen I had stashed once I got hooked on the others.

nflam-button.png
  • munichopmunichop Members Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭

@Tanner25
    Another vote for the GS. Best ball I ever played. Still looking for a decent substitute and I have tried 14 other models and counting.

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wilson Staff FG Tour for me.
    Or Chrome Soft

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • TNGolfer8TNGolfer8 Members Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭

@monks66 said:

@Justsomeguy said:

@Chadwickog said:

IMHO the Taylor Made LDP RED was the best ball ever made .....who can back me on that?

I was a big fan of that ball as well! Currently playing the Snell MTB, designed by Dean Snell, who also designed the TM Red, if I'm not mistaken.

Driver-PIng G400 Max
    3W- Ping G400
    5W-Wishon 949mc
    25* Maltby Tour Hybrid
    5-GW- Maltby TE Forged
    SW- Ping Glide 2.0 56*
    LW- Ping Glide 2.0 60*
    Maltby Pure Track Tour Milled Blade Putter
    Ball- Snell MTB Black

Also frequently used-
    Wishon 919 thi
    Maltby UFW 7W
  • Hammer22Hammer22 Members Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TNGolfer8 said:
    I was a big fan of that ball as well! Currently playing the Snell MTB, designed by Dean Snell, who also designed the TM Red, if I'm not mistaken.

If only that info was out there...

nflam-button.png
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Ocean County, NJMembers Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite recent ball was the Maxfli U/3 (discontinued) followed by the Gamer Soft (discontinued). Thanks DSG. I am currently pleased with the DT TruSoft.

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It’s been an interesting journey for me... really like the Bridgestone bx, hated the tp5x... indifferent to the proV offerings, though I’ve only hit used ones... tried mtb x early season and didn’t love it. Gamed the black today and I’m fairly convinced I’m done searching for a bit.

We will see after a few more rounds. Have two dozen, so I’m committed for a bit. Mg c4s will be my **** day balls.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Found it many times, and then lost it again.

• jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭

@nsxguy said:

@jjfcpa said:
    I look for anything and everything that will improve my game. That includes golf clubs and balls. I'm not ready to spend $ 50 a dozen for golf balls even though I seldom lose a ball and can afford it.

No offense but when someone posts something like this most people think it's about the money. LOL

No offense taken, but it's really not about the money. That's why I played Bridgestone Tour B RX for almost a year. It's a great ball, but just not as good as the one I settled on - the Snell MTB X. If you saw my inventory of golf balls from every manufacturer around (almost), you'd see it's not about the money.

@Hammer22 said:

@jjfcpa said:
    ...but according to the research, softer balls do not go as far as firmer balls... PERIOD.

Total B.S. My driver SS is close to 110 and I switched to the '18 Project (a) - hit it just as far, if not farther, than any of those "$50" balls. Its compression is right there with the Chrome Soft and close to the BXS, it feels fantastic, and there is no shortage of performance. That being said, I also switch around to the new TP5 (great deals on the Pix version), and even though it is slightly firmer, can't tell the difference off any clubs other than the driver - and not by much. Great deals can be had on the Project (a) - have gotten most of mine for <$25/dozen. Dean Snell gets the credit for that ball as well.

@Chadwickog said:

Thought the same thing until I tried the TM balls. The Nike was fantastic other than it being slightly 'clicky', but sold off all 60 dozen I had stashed once I got hooked on the others.

Not sure about the BS part. The difficult thing is trying to compare distance off the driver. About the only way I've been able to test the "softer" vs "harder" distance issue is to hit two balls, but the difference could be based on the quality of the strike. I don't know about you, but I'm not good enough to hit two balls exactly the same. My anecdotal experience is that firmer balls do indeed go further "for me". Not saying that it's true for everyone. I will admit one thing. When hitting a softer ball, it certainly feels like I am compressing it more and this may be why it seems to be a better strike and, it follows, is going to go further. But the real world comparisons I've done prove that feeling to be misleading and a firmer ball results in more distance.

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jjfcpa said:

@Hammer22 said:

@jjfcpa said:

@Chadwickog said:

Not sure about the BS part. The difficult thing is trying to compare distance off the driver. About the only way I've been able to test the "softer" vs "harder" distance issue is to hit two balls, but the difference could be based on the quality of the strike. I don't know about you, but I'm not good enough to hit two balls exactly the same. My anecdotal experience is that firmer balls do indeed go further "for me". Not saying that it's true for everyone. I will admit one thing. When hitting a softer ball, it certainly feels like I am compressing it more and this may be why it seems to be a better strike and, it follows, is going to go further. But the real world comparisons I've done prove that feeling to be misleading and a firmer ball results in more distance.

I tried to compare balls today... it wasn’t helpful. My swing isnt consistent enough... I did give up on the Kirklands after hitting one well and feeling like it left me short... may have been totally unfair but here we are.

Honestly, I think golf balls are similar to grips, everyone has an opinion but at the end of the day pick what works for you and stick with it.

I’m gaming snell blacks for the rest of the season, I think. (And golf pride grips)

• Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2019 1:36am #23

My Titleist ProV1's got a time out & are sitting on the bench, fell in love with the Taylormade TP5's, they out perform on every club & are even better in the wind, just wish they didn't cost so much.

D.

Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80

@Zip-in-Z said:
    My Titleist ProV1's got a time out & are sitting on the bench, fell in love with the Taylormade TP5's, they out perform on every club & are even better in the wind, just wish they didn't cost so much.

D.

Have you tried snell? Other options are Bridgestone or srixon on discount... golf ball market is freaking goofy.

• chadly643chadly643 Members Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did find a true utopia golf ball this summer. Srixon Z-Star XV. They ran a BOGO sale and I was able to stock up for $20/dozen. This officially checks all the boxes. Distance. Spin. Feel. Price. Durability. In a couple of years I will run out, I hope I’m able to find this utopia again.

• Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Myherobobhope said:

@Zip-in-Z said:

D.

Have you tried snell? Other options are Bridgestone or srixon on discount... golf ball market is freaking goofy.

I live in Central Alberta, the local G-shops here don't sell the Snell products, I read your other post/thread, I may have to find some MTB Black when I'm back in SoCal this winter. As for Bridgestone, I'm not a fan, I played the Srixon Z-Star liked them alot, but the Taylormade TP5 out performs them.

Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My next purchase will be the MTB-X in 2 or 3 months. Working my way though some Srixons. I have a love/hate relationship with the XV. Love it off the driver. The Z Star is really a great, great ball. I see the Project a mentioned above. Great ball. I loved the earlier version with the seam. Hit my longest drives with that ball. That was Dean project, too - right? I'm intrigued about the MTB-X. If it doesn't balloon on the mid irons I'll probably enjoy it. I also like the idea of giving my ball $ to a small business man.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star

Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

@BeerPerHole said:
    My next purchase will be the MTB-X in 2 or 3 months. Working my way though some Srixons. I have a love/hate relationship with the XV. Love it off the driver. The Z Star is really a great, great ball. I see the Project a mentioned above. Great ball. I loved the earlier version with the seam. Hit my longest drives with that ball. That was Dean project, too - right? I'm intrigued about the MTB-X. If it doesn't balloon on the mid irons I'll probably enjoy it. I also like the idea of giving my ball $ to a small business man.

Snell is a great ball! I like the blacks more than the X, but I think I'm an outlier... They have performed as well for me as any other premium ball.

The Snell MTB X is definitely a stand out ball. I played and compared the Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro, Vice Pro Plus, Oncore Elixir, along with a host of big manufacturers balls including Callaway Titleist, Tailormade, Bridgestone, and Srixon. Many of them were indistinguishable from each other. MTB Black, Vice Pro, Bridgestone Tour B RX I could swap out and not really see much difference. A few years here or there and perhaps a little more spin on some shots, but was it the ball or the swing... couldn't tell. However, when I play the Snell MTB X the difference is in the neighborhood of significant. More distance, better spin, little effect from the wind. It's definitely the standout in the crowed. Just my experience so yours may be different, but everyone I've given a sleeve to has become a Snell MTB X convert. In Omaha, you can now purchase them retail in Scheels sporting goods at Village Pointe, but you won't get the discount for buying more than 3 dozen like you can on the Snell website.

• jdvela55jdvela55 Sin City, NVMembers Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Nike 20Xi-X. I have about 15 left and I am searching for it’s replacement.

FORMERLY KNOWN AS AZTEC575

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Callaway Xhot 3 deep Oban Revenge
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Callaway Apex 5 - PW w/ KBS V Steel
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
    Callaway MD 2 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges

@aztec575 said:
    The Nike 20Xi-X. I have about 15 left and I am searching for it’s replacement.

Live in the now!

Have you tried the Bridgestone?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file