How many have found their "utopia" golf ball?

Comments

• Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@munichop said:
    @Tanner25
    Another vote for the GS. Best ball I ever played. Still looking for a decent substitute and I have tried 14 other models and counting.

I feel your pain. Thank god, GamerSoft didn't come out in yellow. Had that been the case and they discontinued the ball, I'd pretty much have to quit the game, lol.

• CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The Wilson FG Tour for me.

• jdvela55jdvela55 Sin City, NVMembers Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Myherobobhope said:

@aztec575 said:
    The Nike 20Xi-X. I have about 15 left and I am searching for it’s replacement.

Live in the now!

Have you tried the Bridgestone?

Ha! I took a 4 year break from the game and am back into now. The Bridgestone Tour B X is a super nice ball. I played it for 3 holes last weekend. Not sold on it just yet

FORMERLY KNOWN AS AZTEC575

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Callaway Xhot 3 deep Oban Revenge
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Callaway Apex 5 - PW w/ KBS V Steel
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
    Callaway MD 2 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Members Posts: 425 ✭✭✭✭

Right now it's the Srixon Z-Star. I'll get back to you next year.

Thank goodness I am more reliable with my affection for my wife than I am with my golf ball.

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jjfcpa said:

@Hammer22 said:

@jjfcpa said:
    ...but according to the research, softer balls do not go as far as firmer balls... PERIOD.

Total B.S. My driver SS is close to 110 and I switched to the '18 Project (a) - hit it just as far, if not farther, than any of those "$50" balls. Its compression is right there with the Chrome Soft and close to the BXS, it feels fantastic, and there is no shortage of performance. That being said, I also switch around to the new TP5 (great deals on the Pix version), and even though it is slightly firmer, can't tell the difference off any clubs other than the driver - and not by much. Great deals can be had on the Project (a) - have gotten most of mine for <$25/dozen. Dean Snell gets the credit for that ball as well.

@Chadwickog said:
    I found it, it was called the Nike RZN Platinum. I have yet to find its replacement.

Thought the same thing until I tried the TM balls. The Nike was fantastic other than it being slightly 'clicky', but sold off all 60 dozen I had stashed once I got hooked on the others.

Not sure about the BS part. The difficult thing is trying to compare distance off the driver. About the only way I've been able to test the "softer" vs "harder" distance issue is to hit two balls, but the difference could be based on the quality of the strike. I don't know about you, but I'm not good enough to hit two balls exactly the same. My anecdotal experience is that firmer balls do indeed go further "for me". Not saying that it's true for everyone. I will admit one thing. When hitting a softer ball, it certainly feels like I am compressing it more and this may be why it seems to be a better strike and, it follows, is going to go further. But the real world comparisons I've done prove that feeling to be misleading and a firmer ball results in more distance.

What research shows the softer balls don't go as far? I know one website claimed that this year while others have provided data that suggests there is virtually no difference.

Personally, I've found some of the softer surlyn balls fly higher and not on as flat of a trajectory off the tee. Other soft surlyn balls seems to go just the same. Off the irons, I feel like the softer surlyn balls are marginally longer (spinning slightly less of course).

I get that a particular ball may not work well for any one individual. From what I've read, my impression is that compression itself isn't changing anything that most would be able to detect. I could be wrong though.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I believe mai golf Thai that under perfect conditions higher compression balls go further... actual golfers hitting balls on the course is significantly different.

Honestly. I spent the first half the season trying different stuff. I have found my ball (hopefully) and plan to game it as much as possible. Having consistent results is a huge win, even if they aren’t necessarily optimized.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• trapsmv15trapsmv15 Plattsburgh, NYMembers Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The harder balls being faster than the softer balls, period — this thing needs a bit of clarification, particularly since you said you’re a slower swing speed golfer like I am. I saw their data; I even bought the new Maxfli Tour CG because of it. It’s a great ball. I like it a lot. But I am here to tell you that I get 5 yards more carry on ALL clubs with the Wilson Duo Soft compared to the Tour CG. The height increase let’s me hold greens fairly comparatively — not saying equal — to the urethane. I understand where that other site is coming from but at that lower range, they even conceded that the data of slower speed golfers tightened together some. I play the Duo Soft now because I’m a Wilson Staff nut, and it’s now very close compared to my all-time ball, the Maxfli Softfli. We have to try these and get objective real world results here. Not discounting your experience, and I’m happy you play an awesome ball! I’m just not on that a-hard-ball-is-faster train that the other site played up a little bit for a tagline.

Driver: Wilson Staff C300 9.5* (Fujikura Speeder Pro 58 S)

Fairways: Wilson Staff C300 15* + 18* (Fujikura Speeder Pro 68 S)

Hybrids: Wilson Staff C300 20* + 23* (Fujikura Speeder Pro 78 S)

Irons: Wilson Staff C300 5-PW, GW, SW (KBS Tour 90 S)

Putter: Wilson Staff 8802 Milled (35”)

Ball: Wilson Duo Soft

• Ghost_OrchidGhost_Orchid Golf Junkie Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I switched to the Wilson Staff FG Tour this year (switched from XV), not looking back.
    They are long, soft, and spins just the right amount. Oh, and no one else (except 2 other ppl in this thread) plays them.

• bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always preferred a "crisp" or even "clicky" feel to a golf ball, but still want the spin you can get from something like a Pro V1. I've found a few unicorn balls over the years, all seem to have been manufactured by the same company ;)

Precept EV Extra Spin
    Nike Tour Accuracy TW
    Nike One
    Nike RXN Tour Platinum / Black
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Currently using a mix of RZN and Tour B. I tend to favour the Tour B at the moment, but only because my long game is quite erratic and they are easier to replace than the Nikes.

The Dee Three: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 65X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

• gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me it has been the Srixon Z Star. The ball is a great all around performer for my game.

Gil Leonard
  • storm319storm319 Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bodhi555 said:
    I've always preferred a "crisp" or even "clicky" feel to a golf ball, but still want the spin you can get from something like a Pro V1. I've found a few unicorn balls over the years, all seem to have been manufactured by the same company ;)

Precept EV Extra Spin
    Nike Tour Accuracy TW
    Nike One
    Nike RXN Tour Platinum / Black
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Currently using a mix of RZN and Tour B. I tend to favour the Tour B at the moment, but only because my long game is quite erratic and they are easier to replace than the Nikes.

Bridgestone did not produce any of the RZN balls for Nike. I believe the last balls Bridgestone produced were the One Tour/D (2009-2010).

• Mikey5eMikey5e Members Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever premium golf ball I find a sale on or win as a prize. Right now I have Titleist Pro v1x, Bridgestone Brx, TP5, Chrome soft, Srixon Z Star, and even e12's. They all seem to work well for me.

• TKSTKS Members Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

I'm finding the softer urethane balls the best for me:
    1. Wilson FG Tour
    2. Bridgstone bxs
    3. Srixon zstar
    4. Tp5
    5. Wilson duo Professional
    "After the big ball test" I tried the MTBX, saw none of the distance gains claimed, noticed a steeper decent angle and its durability is the worst.

All Wishon, all the time:
    919THI 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S
    919F/D, Black Shaft
    775 18* hyb, Interflexx Shaft
    590 4iron, Black hybd Shaft
    5-SW Sterlings S300's
    PCF Micro 58*
    S2R #5 putter Double Bend Shaft
    Softer Urethane balls - too many to list
  • PritamPritam Members Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭

I used to think that the Nike RZN Tour Black or RZN Speed White balls were perfect for me. I bought dozens of them. Then I tried the 2019 Pro V1. No comparison. It’s the perfect ball for me. My swing hasn’t changed nor has my swing speed but the ball is now further down the course after every shot. I never liked the earlier Pro V1 but the 2019 ball is definitely juiced.

• lchanglchang Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mikey5e said:
    Whatever premium golf ball I find a sale on or win as a prize. Right now I have Titleist Pro v1x, Bridgestone Brx, TP5, Chrome soft, Srixon Z Star, and even e12's. They all seem to work well for me.

Interesting that e12’s (surlyn) are on that list with the others (all urethane)?

• Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 14, 2019 12:44pm #47

Im currently infatuated with 2019 tp5x- i was sick of sucking back every full shot 90-140 yards nearly off the green. Tp5x drop and stop, maybe a foot or two of suck back. Still enough spin for partial shots, ive heard of people complaining about hitting more flyers than normal, but i havent seen such. And the feel is perfect for me. Not too firm, not too soft. Driver launches high but flat 😻

• Double DodgerDouble Dodger Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

@Hammer22 said:

@jjfcpa said:
    ...but according to the research, softer balls do not go as far as firmer balls... PERIOD.

Total B.S. My driver SS is close to 110 and I switched to the '18 Project (a) - hit it just as far, if not farther, than any of those "$50" balls. Its compression is right there with the Chrome Soft and close to the BXS, it feels fantastic, and there is no shortage of performance. That being said, I also switch around to the new TP5 (great deals on the Pix version), and even though it is slightly firmer, can't tell the difference off any clubs other than the driver - and not by much. Great deals can be had on the Project (a) - have gotten most of mine for <$25/dozen. Dean Snell gets the credit for that ball as well.

@Chadwickog said:
    I found it, it was called the Nike RZN Platinum. I have yet to find its replacement.

Thought the same thing until I tried the TM balls. The Nike was fantastic other than it being slightly 'clicky', but sold off all 60 dozen I had stashed once I got hooked on the others.

60 dozen??
    That’s a bunch of green bananas man......

• OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Snell MTB-X. Enough said.

PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5 Tensei Pro White 60s
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4 Iron Elevate Tour
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • Hammer22Hammer22 Members Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 14, 2019 8:17pm #50

@Double Dodger said:
    60 dozen??
    That’s a bunch of green bananas man......

A great ball, and they’re still so popular that I sold every last one in about a week. No regrets going to TM though.

nflam-button.png
  • Mikey5eMikey5e Members Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lchang said:

@Mikey5e said:

Interesting that e12’s (surlyn) are on that list with the others (all urethane)?

Actually, I won a dozen of them as a door prize and put them in play to see how they would workout. I don't really care for them that much as I can't work them as well as the premium balls. I just wanted to try them to see how the new cover would react on the greens and I'm not very impressed with them.

• TheInfidelTheInfidel Gotta let the Big Dog eat.... Members Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gpleonard said:
    For me it has been the Srixon Z Star. The ball is a great all around performer for my game.

Same here (Z Star XV). Played all of the premium and DTC offerings and the Srixons work so well for me, sometimes too well on short irons and extra yards.

Ping G400 9* Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5 (+16g head weight)
    Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
    Adams Idea A7 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged, Project X LZ 6.5 +0.5' 4-PW
    Mizuno S18 50* Project X LZ 6.0 +0.5'
    Nike Engage Raw 54* S400 +0.5'
    Nike Engage Raw 58* S400 +0.5'
    Odyssey Dual Force 990 

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure it's my utopia ball, but I'm settled on the MTB Black for the rest of the year. Works for me from everywhere on the course. Like the feel, like the look and it also physically FEELS right to me (I like my balls glossy). $30 a dozen, and Dean Snell seems to be a good dude invested in his company and it's success... Not sure what else to ask for.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• lambo428lambo428 Members Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

For me and my slow swing speed Pro V1x .

Ping G LST 9*
    r7 CGB Max Fairway Woods
    Taylormade Rescue Mid Hybrids
    Apex CF 16 irons
    Titleist SM6 54* S
    Callaway MD3 60*
    Odyssey Milled Collection 2
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,740 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've been playing the Z Star, Tour B220 RX, Duo U, even the Ksig3. Most any urethane ball that's on the softer side of average and I'm golden. A good strike fly far and I can stop flops and shorter wedge shots on the green just fine. To be honest, I've found the concept of "utopia ball" completely foreign, since even though I'm a half way decent player that shoots in the range of 80 still, the variation in my strikes is about 10X more than variation between different balls so it basically doesn't matter what ball I use (within reason.)

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 16, 2019 8:07pm #56

2013 or 2019 Pro V1x
    2017 AVX
    2014 B330
    Any of those four models have been indistinguishable from "utopia" for me. They seem as long as anything for my game, they spin as well as I could ever ask and I've found them very predictable in terms of distance and how they react on and around the green. Plus they all three have a nice, high flight off the irons.

But I could list a dozen other models that worked virtually as well for me as those four. Those are just the ones I stuck with (more than a year at a stretch for all but the latest Pro V1x) long enough to become thoroughly familiar with them. If I played for a hundred or so round with a Pro V1 or a TP5 or an original 4pc K-Sig or a MTB Black I'll bet I would be adding them to the "utopia" list.

That said, there are several balls I would not care to play again after having tried them for a while and found them disappointing in one way or another. The 3pc K-Sig, first-gen MTB Red, any of the Srixon Z-Star variants, the original Chrome Soft, those old Nike "RZN" balls, older models of Callaway (Tour iZ and iX), early generations of Pro V1 (2011 and earlier) all of those I tried briefly and moved on rather quickly. Too many balls out there suit me, no need to keep trying to force the issue with one that does not.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Brass_BullseyeBrass_Bullseye BrassBullseye Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

Titleist AVX. When it first came out I thought Titleist had lost their minds. "Who in the **** is gonna pay $50 a box for a ball that's not even tour quality?" Then I played it. It's straighter and longer than any ball I've ever put in the bag and I've been playing for 37 years. It spins more than enough for me off the irons and around the greens, and is soft off the putter which I love. It's designed to be low trajectory, but I've always been a high ball hitter so my new trajectory is perfect. I've played it for a year and dropped my index from 10.0 to 8.0.

Titleist TS2 Driver,
    Titleist 915F 3W
    Titleist 915H 2H
    Titleist 716 CB irons 3-PW
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges, 52.08F, 56.08M
    Odyssey O-Works Red #7
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been playing CS X since they were introduced, work perfectly for me, then again, I can play about any urethane ball after about 9 holes of getting used to it.
    For winter/cold weather, Vice Pro/ProSoft in Lime green work good enough, though I have found in warm weather I prefer the CS X

Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • thejuicethejuice AtlantaMembers Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me it’s the Vice Pro Plus. I do have an occasional affair with the AVX, but because she’s a high priced side chick, I keep going back to my main girl the Pro Plus. The Pro Plus does everything I need her to do and I seem to shoot by best scores whenever she’s on the tee and on the greens. Again, I feel like I can play equally as strong with the AVX, but I get five Vice Pro Plus for $125 versus just one dozen AVX for $50. More bang for my buck with the Vice.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
    TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
    TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
    Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
    Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
    TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour
  • BreezyBrett20BreezyBrett20 Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Mine is the TP5, but I also play the Z-Star quite a bit, they’re very similar in my eyes

• dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The original Precept EV Extra Spin. Haven’t found her since.

Chrome Soft is trying. She likes to chase.

WITB 29JUL2019
    • Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • shopping for this gap...
    • CB3 4-G 
    • PM Grind '19 54/60/64
    • Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file