How many have found their "utopia" golf ball?

Comments

• jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭

@OspreyCI said:
    Snell MTB-X. Enough said.

The only golfers not using this ball are those that have not tried it. Great ball and performs as advertised.

• kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 396 ✭✭✭✭

I love the tour b XS, but recently the 2019 Pro V1 has been close to the best ball for my game. The Tour B XS is the best ball around the greens, but spins a little too much for me with my driver at times. The 19 Pro V1 has a must stronger flight off the driver and longer irons, while still having the classic Pro V 1 feel and control. That may be the closest to a utopia ball I get to.

Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, AD Di 6s
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
    4-UW - Ping i210 DG 120 S300
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D 
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dan360 said:
    The original Precept EV Extra Spin. Haven’t found her since.

Chrome Soft is trying. She likes to chase.

00 precept ev was my ball in high school!

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• pleadguitarpleadguitar Sudbury, OntarioMembers Posts: 681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've tried tons of balls but the best bang I can get for my buck performance wise is titleist trusoft , I love this ball. The trajectory I get is perfect, it stops fine on the approach shots and putting feels superb. Distance control with irons, wedges and putter are great. It will be hard to go to another ball should they discontinue this one.

Cobra F6+ Pro 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X 44.5"
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° Project X pxv 6.0
    Cobra S2 Forged 3-PW Nippon NSPro1130 Tour 
    Cobra King PUR 50°V-54.5°V DG S300
    Callaway PM Grind 59° DG S300
    Wilson Staff 8802 Milled 32.5"
    Titleist DT Trusoft/ Callaway Superhot 
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 25, 2019 3:14am #66

TP5x. Just seem to always come back to that ball. This year I have give many for a run and have not found one to kick it out of the bag.

Edit: Snell MTB Black would second on the list.

• proguyproguy Members Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Srixon Zstar

F9 9 degree Atmos black
    Epic 15 degree Diamana white
    M3 19 Hyrbrid Proforce Yellow
    R11 7 wood Fuji something old school
    4-pw J40 CB Project X
    52,56,60 DD scratch 8810
    Bryon Gball!
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have been playing the B XS for a while now and can't find anything I'd change in it. For my 100 ss it's long off the tee, great spin on approaches and around the greens, nice feel and durable. I have always thought that all premium balls are similar in performance and it comes down to personal preference, and for me I just like the B SX more than any other ball.

• Golfer_1993Golfer_1993 Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thejuice said:
    For me it’s the Vice Pro Plus. I do have an occasional affair with the AVX, but because she’s a high priced side chick, I keep going back to my main girl the Pro Plus. The Pro Plus does everything I need her to do and I seem to shoot by best scores whenever she’s on the tee and on the greens. Again, I feel like I can play equally as strong with the AVX, but I get five Vice Pro Plus for $125 versus just one dozen AVX for $50. More bang for my buck with the Vice.

Seconded. The Pro Plus is just perfect. I played a round last week and drove the ball around 300 yards on average, my longest of the season so far. The feel on greens is just perfect too. I got 7 dozens in stock, might ordered some more when fall comes.

• JustmuckitJustmuckit St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I had with the Tour B RX. Then did a ball fitting, and picked up 6 mph of ball speed with the TP5x.
    Shot below my index first round out, and was very happy with their performance, especially off the tee.

• chisagchisag Members Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Red4282 said:
    Im currently infatuated with 2019 tp5x- i was sick of sucking back every full shot 90-140 yards nearly off the green. Tp5x drop and stop, maybe a foot or two of suck back. Still enough spin for partial shots, ive heard of people complaining about hitting more flyers than normal, but i havent seen such. And the feel is perfect for me. Not too firm, not too soft. Driver launches high but flat 😻

... Pretty much how I feel although I have been in this camp since the Lethal came out and every generation has gotten better. TP5x is usually within a yard or two of my pitch mark. Hits, bounces forward then spins back about the same amount or a little more or less depending on the club. Hitting mythical fliers, always a WRX greatest hits LOL, has never happened of course. Best ball off a driver I have hit. That said I could play a Z Star or ProV1x and be perfectly happy if I ran out of TP5x's.

Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Tensei Orange 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F8 18.5* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
    Tailor-made RBZ Tour  21.5 hybrid ... Matrix Altus 85s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90hy
    4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭

@chisag said:

@Red4282 said:
    Im currently infatuated with 2019 tp5x- i was sick of sucking back every full shot 90-140 yards nearly off the green. Tp5x drop and stop, maybe a foot or two of suck back. Still enough spin for partial shots, ive heard of people complaining about hitting more flyers than normal, but i havent seen such. And the feel is perfect for me. Not too firm, not too soft. Driver launches high but flat 😻

... Pretty much how I feel although I have been in this camp since the Lethal came out and every generation has gotten better. TP5x is usually within a yard or two of my pitch mark. Hits, bounces forward then spins back about the same amount or a little more or less depending on the club. Hitting mythical fliers, always a WRX greatest hits LOL, has never happened of course. Best ball off a driver I have hit. That said I could play a Z Star or ProV1x and be perfectly happy if I ran out of TP5x's.

Out of curiosity i checked today to see which ball tested closest to the tp5x (just in case i wanted to try something else for giggles) on a recent test done by another website. The 2 that were closet were mtb black, bridgestone b xs.

• LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘19 V1x for me. Long, good feel and short game performance.

Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Hanlpa01Hanlpa01 Akron, OHMembers Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Titleist AVX. Picked up a dozen with a gift card that I had and I fear that there’s no turning back. Great flight off the driver with a ton of control on the green.

Looks like I’m gonna be paying $50/doz in the future.

• DREWZER300DREWZER300 Members Posts: 74 ✭✭

@Hanlpa01 said:
    Titleist AVX. Picked up a dozen with a gift card that I had and I fear that there’s no turning back. Great flight off the driver with a ton of control on the green.

I picked some AVX up Thursday as I was playing in outings on Friday and Saturday. Figured it would be a good time to test a few different balls. I had some of the longest drives I have had in years with the AVX. Also no issues getting spin as I was throwing darts with wedges as well. Put it in play for my normal Sunday morning round and went on to shoot 72. So yeah I found my new ball.

Taylormade M5 Project X Smoke 6.0
    Taylormade M4 3W Graphite Design AD-IZ 7X
    Taylormade M4 3H KBS Tour Prototype 95X
    Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4-PW KBS C-Taper 130 X
    Titleist Vokey Wedges 48-F/54-M/60-D 
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade TP5x

• dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me it's the ProV1x and it's hurts every time I purchase them.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

TS2
    716 MB 5-PW
    MG 52 SB-09 | 56 LB-09 | 60 LB-09
    Select Newport 2
    ProV1x

• The PearlThe Pearl Members Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hanlpa01 said:

Get the LostGolfBalls.com 5 A rated. You will save tons an they have sales all the time. I just bought 5 dozen and they look like they are right off the factory assembly line. Great ball. Just goes a mile...

• gioreekogioreeko Members Posts: 335 ✭✭✭✭

Kirkland 4 piece. Replaced my ProV1's at one third the price.

Driver: Taylor Made M3
    3 wood: Taylor made 12 degree mini driver TP
    3 Iron Mizuno Fli hi
    4-UW: Ping i210
    Ping 54, 58 Ping Glide wedges
    Odyssey Versa Tank Putter
    Kirkland Tour ball
  • BubbBubb Members Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@pleadguitar said:
    I've tried tons of balls but the best bang I can get for my buck performance wise is titleist trusoft , I love this ball. The trajectory I get is perfect, it stops fine on the approach shots and putting feels superb. Distance control with irons, wedges and putter are great. It will be hard to go to another ball should they discontinue this one.

How would you compare it to the Callaway super soft?

@The Pearl said:

@Hanlpa01 said:

Get the LostGolfBalls.com 5 A rated. You will save tons an they have sales all the time. I just bought 5 dozen and they look like they are right off the factory assembly line. Great ball. Just goes a mile...

I’ll have to check it out. I picked up a box of Pro V1 reloads last year and it was real hit or miss. Some felt like new and others were like hitting rocks so I’ve been skeptical but I feel like a website would have better consistency. Thanks for the heads up.

@DREWZER300 said:

@Hanlpa01 said:

I picked some AVX up Thursday as I was playing in outings on Friday and Saturday. Figured it would be a good time to test a few different balls. I had some of the longest drives I have had in years with the AVX. Also no issues getting spin as I was throwing darts with wedges as well. Put it in play for my normal Sunday morning round and went on to shoot 72. So yeah I found my new ball.

Agreed completely. Played in a scramble on Friday and I usually hit cheap ones so not to be the guy holding up the group looking for a $4 ball. Ended up winning the long drive with the AVX. I’m hooked now.

• reitzer2000reitzer2000 Members Posts: 2

I have recently fallen in love with the Srixon Z Star XV. Have tried them all and I seem to fall out of love just as quickly usually but this one has stuck with me all year so far.

• jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭

@reitzer2000 said:
    I have recently fallen in love with the Srixon Z Star XV. Have tried them all and I seem to fall out of love just as quickly usually but this one has stuck with me all year so far.

What about this ball appeals to you? I just purchased a dozen to give them a try. It's up against the Snell MTB X so it will flat out have to perform in order for me to switch.

• Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 31, 2019 2:19am #84

Right now, Tour B X.

But I'll never forget the first time I tried a Pro V1 when that originally came out.

• pleadguitarpleadguitar Sudbury, OntarioMembers Posts: 681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bubb said:

@pleadguitar said:

How would you compare it to the Callaway super soft?

Supersoft was higher trajectory and thus loses distance for me, trusoft has a more penetrating flight

Cobra F6+ Pro 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X 44.5"
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° Project X pxv 6.0
    Cobra S2 Forged 3-PW Nippon NSPro1130 Tour 
    Cobra King PUR 50°V-54.5°V DG S300
    Callaway PM Grind 59° DG S300
    Wilson Staff 8802 Milled 32.5"
    Titleist DT Trusoft/ Callaway Superhot 
  • mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Snell MTB-X....does everything I want a golf ball to do. It’s just a perfect fit for me. And under $30 a dozen...nice bonus plan

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

2 piece - Titleist DT trusoft
    3 piece - TaylorMade Project(a)

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Red4282 said:

@chisag said:

@Red4282 said:

Out of curiosity i checked today to see which ball tested closest to the tp5x (just in case i wanted to try something else for giggles) on a recent test done by another website. The 2 that were closet were mtb black, bridgestone b xs.

Interesting. I have the B X and the TP5x being very similar. Afraid to try the BXS as I don't want too much spin. For my game, when I hit the ball properly, I get enough spin. When I mishit it, I get too much side spin. Therefore, I prefer a lower spinning ball. Going to give the Z star a go tomorrow.

• Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭

@LeoLeo99 said:

@Red4282 said:

@chisag said:

@Red4282 said:

Interesting. I have the B X and the TP5x being very similar. Afraid to try the BXS as I don't want too much spin. For my game, when I hit the ball properly, I get enough spin. When I mishit it, I get too much side spin. Therefore, I prefer a lower spinning ball. Going to give the Z star a go tomorrow.

Interestingly enough, there seems to be very minimal difference between the bridgestone line of balls, the x and xs are really close in terms of numbers (wedge spin within 200 rpm) as the rx and rxs as well. So it wouldnt suprise me at all if you have had good results with the x

• Twin2LTwin2L Members Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2019 2:23am #90

I’ve been playing the BRX for years and being a WRX’er, this year I’ve been trying several others, the Bridgestone XS, Srixon Q-Star Tour, Srixon Z Star, Wilson FG Tour and a couple of others, wondering if something else would be a better fit. I’ve had some very nice rounds with the Z-Star in particular, but I find myself swing much more aggressively with the firmer balls. I also find them half a club shorter off irons and no distance gain with much more sidespin (hook) with the driver.

Today, I had a frustrating 43 on my local course on the easier (and shorter) front nine with the Z-Star I’ve been playing for a month. Put the BRX in play on the 10th tee and hit my longest drive in weeks (275) with my second driver on #12. My tee shots were straighter, longer and I realized I was not pressing for the distance, it was there because I was swinging smoother. Shot a 39 on the back even with 17 Putts.

For me, consistency of flight, predictable distance and spin off the irons and wedges, semi-firm click off the putter, and easier distance off the driver make the Bridgestone BRX my “ utopia” ball.

My driver is a modest 100ish, I hit my forged 34* 7 iron 160 so I don’t think it’s a slow swing speed issue.

Ironically, I may never have looked for another ball if it didn’t have that giant “B” on the sides.

Post edited by Twin2L on
    It matters not what others call you. Only what you answer to defines who you are.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file