How many have found their "utopia" golf ball?

12467
7

Comments

  • Red4282Red4282 Members  877WRX Points: 359Posts: 877 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #92

    On -, @Twin2L said:

    I’ve been playing the BRX for years and being a WRX’er, this year I’ve been trying several others, the Bridgestone XS, Srixon Q-Star Tour, Srixon Z Star, Wilson FG Tour and a couple of others, wondering if something else would be a better fit. I’ve had some very nice rounds with the Z-Star in particular, but I find myself swing much more aggressively with the firmer balls. I also find them half a club shorter off irons and no distance gain with much more sidespin (hook) with the driver.

    Today, I had a frustrating 43 on my local course on the easier (and shorter) front nine with the Z-Star I’ve been playing for a month. Put the BRX in play on the 10th tee and hit my longest drive in weeks (275) with my second driver on #12. My tee shots were straighter, longer and I realized I was not pressing for the distance, it was there because I was swinging smoother. Shot a 39 on the back even with 17 Putts.

    For me, consistency of flight, predictable distance and spin off the irons and wedges, semi-firm click off the putter, and easier distance off the driver make the Bridgestone BRX my “ utopia” ball.

    My driver is a modest 100ish, I hit my forged 34* 7 iron 160 so I don’t think it’s a slow swing speed issue.

    Ironically, I may never have looked for another ball if it didn’t have that giant “B” on the sides.

    Hate to burst your bubble but it was just likely in your head- that or a bad ball. All these balls are so close to each other in performance, its really splitting hairs. That being said i agree with you on the giant “B”...

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Mikey5eMikey5e michMembers  1323WRX Points: 298Handicap: 15Posts: 1,323 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #93

    Question : Could a PGA professional score as well with a Top Flite bomb as with a Titleist Pro V1? I know they probably couldn't get quite the spin off the Top Flight but they can adapt as well.

    Posted:
  • Red4282Red4282 Members  877WRX Points: 359Posts: 877 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #94

    On -, @Mikey5e said:

    Question : Could a PGA professional score as well with a Top Flite bomb as with a Titleist Pro V1? I know they probably couldn't get quite the spin off the Top Flight but they can adapt as well.

    Probably not but i would expect the difference to be fairly small. 3-5 shots maybe

    Posted:
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1812WRX Points: 276Handicap: ?Posts: 1,812 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #95

    On -, @gioreeko said:

    Kirkland 4 piece. Replaced my ProV1's at one third the price.

    How’s your stock holding up? Ready for the new ones?
    Finally played an MTB X. Great ball

    Posted:
  • Twin2LTwin2L Members  352WRX Points: 241Handicap: 12Posts: 352 Greens
    Joined:  #96

    On -, @Red4282 said:

    On -, @Twin2L said

    ...........
    Ironically, I may never have looked for another ball if it didn’t have that giant “B” on the sides.

    Hate to burst your bubble but it was just likely in your head- that or a bad ball. All these balls are so close to each other in performance, its really splitting hairs. That being said i agree with you on the giant “B”...
    "......."........."...............................................................>>>>.

    No bubble to burst. I do agree that I have a decided level of confidence in the BRX that allows me to relax over a shot.

    I agree that most so-called premium balls are in the same compression range + or - 15%, resulting in comparable feel and effort required for comparable results.

    However, there is a significant difference in the balls. With a difference in compression of 22#, fully 1/3 of the BRX’s 66 compression, the Z-Star compression is 88, there is a significant difference in feel off all clubs.

    I turned 60 a week ago Saturday. I learned to play in the early 70’s in the era of the wound ball, even pre balata. Back then the choices were all soft except for the old “rockflights”. Even later when Titleist came out with the 80 compression, followed by the 90, those differences were noticeable. I did play the 80’s well and often, but didn’t like he 90’s at all.

    Ironically, 35 years later I played the v1x and B330, but a 2nd significant neck injury and a dozen years later, I prefer the feel and sense if control of a softer ball. (It’s also less stressful on a once repaired then reinjured cervical spine), resulting in far less pain post round.

    I’m a very tactile person and an admitted “feel” player. I even struggle with the lack of feedback sensation of the oversized putter grips. While I still have enough club head speed to compress most balls well enough,I simply love the soft feel of a ball that compresses on the face. Yes, I can tell the difference.

    Posted:
    It matters not what others call you. What you choose to answer to identifies who you are.


    Wishon 919THI  11* S2S Black 65 S
    Wishon 929HS  14* S2S White S
    Wishon 775HS   21* S2S Black Hybrids S
    Wishon 575MMC Forged 4-A Superlight steel S
    PING Glide 3.0 Eye2  54* & 60*
    Wishon S2R #1 milled face putter
  • Red4282Red4282 Members  877WRX Points: 359Posts: 877 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #97

    On -, @Twin2L said:

    On -, @Red4282 said:

    On -, @Twin2L said

    ...........
    Ironically, I may never have looked for another ball if it didn’t have that giant “B” on the sides.

    Hate to burst your bubble but it was just likely in your head- that or a bad ball. All these balls are so close to each other in performance, its really splitting hairs. That being said i agree with you on the giant “B”...
    "......."........."...............................................................>>>>.

    No bubble to burst. I do agree that I have a decided level of confidence in the BRX that allows me to relax over a shot.

    I agree that most so-called premium balls are in the same compression range + or - 15%, resulting in comparable feel and effort required for comparable results.

    However, there is a significant difference in the balls. With a difference in compression of 22#, fully 1/3 of the BRX’s 66 compression, the Z-Star compression is 88, there is a significant difference in feel off all clubs.

    I turned 60 a week ago Saturday. I learned to play in the early 70’s in the era of the wound ball, even pre balata. Back then the choices were all soft except for the old “rockflights”. Even later when Titleist came out with the 80 compression, followed by the 90, those differences were noticeable. I did play the 80’s well and often, but didn’t like he 90’s at all.

    Ironically, 35 years later I played the v1x and B330, but a 2nd significant neck injury and a dozen years later, I prefer the feel and sense if control of a softer ball. (It’s also less stressful on a once repaired then reinjured cervical spine), resulting in far less pain post round.

    I’m a very tactile person and an admitted “feel” player. I even struggle with the lack of feedback sensation of the oversized putter grips. While I still have enough club head speed to compress most balls well enough,I simply love the soft feel of a ball that compresses on the face. Yes, I can tell the difference.

    Yea feel is subjective im not saying your not accurate in feel and confidence. Maybe just how you worded it, that you switched balls and were hitting significantly longer and straighter. Reality is thats not really the case, the ball performs how you strike it. Perhaps the softer feel gave you the feedback needed to make the necessary adjustments.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • storm319storm319 USMembers  4312WRX Points: 489Posts: 4,312 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #98

    On -, @Twin2L said:

    On -, @Red4282 said:

    On -, @Twin2L said

    ...........
    Ironically, I may never have looked for another ball if it didn’t have that giant “B” on the sides.

    Hate to burst your bubble but it was just likely in your head- that or a bad ball. All these balls are so close to each other in performance, its really splitting hairs. That being said i agree with you on the giant “B”...
    "......."........."...............................................................>>>>.

    No bubble to burst. I do agree that I have a decided level of confidence in the BRX that allows me to relax over a shot.

    I agree that most so-called premium balls are in the same compression range + or - 15%, resulting in comparable feel and effort required for comparable results.

    However, there is a significant difference in the balls. With a difference in compression of 22#, fully 1/3 of the BRX’s 66 compression, the Z-Star compression is 88, there is a significant difference in feel off all clubs.

    I turned 60 a week ago Saturday. I learned to play in the early 70’s in the era of the wound ball, even pre balata. Back then the choices were all soft except for the old “rockflights”. Even later when Titleist came out with the 80 compression, followed by the 90, those differences were noticeable. I did play the 80’s well and often, but didn’t like he 90’s at all.

    Ironically, 35 years later I played the v1x and B330, but a 2nd significant neck injury and a dozen years later, I prefer the feel and sense if control of a softer ball. (It’s also less stressful on a once repaired then reinjured cervical spine), resulting in far less pain post round.

    I’m a very tactile person and an admitted “feel” player. I even struggle with the lack of feedback sensation of the oversized putter grips. While I still have enough club head speed to compress most balls well enough,I simply love the soft feel of a ball that compresses on the face. Yes, I can tell the difference.

    Comparing compression numbers across different OEMs is not an apples to apples comparison since there is no strictly followed industry standard measurement for compression anymore. Most of the OEMs (including Bridgestone) only measure the compression of the core. Srixon is one of the few OEMs that measure the entire ball. The only way to really compare across companies is for a 3rd party to measure in a consistent manner. In the MyGolfSpi ball test, this is what they found using a former industry standard Atti tester:

    Bridgestone Tour BRX = 99.6 avg
    Srixon Z Star = 100.8 avg

    Ultimately this measured difference is negligible between these two models, so the difference you perceived was either sensitivity to the relative hardness of specific layers of the ball or simply a placebo effect based on your comparison of the OEM stated numbers.

    Posted:
  • Twin2LTwin2L Members  352WRX Points: 241Handicap: 12Posts: 352 Greens
    Joined:  #99

    Comparing compression numbers across different OEMs is not an apples to apples comparison since there is no strictly followed industry standard measurement for compression anymore. Most of the OEMs (including Bridgestone) only measure the compression of the core. Srixon is one of the few OEMs that measure the entire ball. The only way to really compare across companies is for a 3rd party to measure in a consistent manner. In the MyGolfSpi ball test, this is what they found using a former industry standard Atti tester:

    Bridgestone Tour BRX = 99.6 avg
    Srixon Z Star = 100.8 avg

    Ultimately this measured difference is negligible between these two models, so the difference you perceived was either sensitivity to the relative hardness of specific layers of the ball or simply a placebo effect based on your comparison of the OEM stated numbers.

    Ya’ll are probably right. All I have to figure out now is whether I’m an idiot for playing this game..... no, that’s not it... or for expressing my experiences playing the game here on this forum.
    Yep, that’s it. I’m an idiot for not having hands of stone and a mind to match.... so that I might share your unbiased scientific declaration.

    As for your condescension and complete dismissal that my experience may have even the slightest chance of being valid, I believe it attempts to invalidate the individual nature of this wonderous endeavor we choose to enjoy and explore, the art, science and glory of man, stick, ball and objective.

    Clearly we experience and interact with our environment differently, I do not expect you to understand that which you cannot experience.

    Posted:
    It matters not what others call you. What you choose to answer to identifies who you are.


    Wishon 919THI  11* S2S Black 65 S
    Wishon 929HS  14* S2S White S
    Wishon 775HS   21* S2S Black Hybrids S
    Wishon 575MMC Forged 4-A Superlight steel S
    PING Glide 3.0 Eye2  54* & 60*
    Wishon S2R #1 milled face putter
  • Twin2LTwin2L Members  352WRX Points: 241Handicap: 12Posts: 352 Greens
    Joined:  #100

    As for the science if it all, take 2 different balls and drop them on the kitchen floor from shoulder height. They will bounce to different heights. I’ve seen some rebound an inch or more higher than another. This is also how they will interact with any surface they come in contact with, be it a clubface, green, cart path or tree. Each will rebound differently. My discussion is about MY utopia ball. It has no consideration or bearing on what you can make do with.

    Posted:
    It matters not what others call you. What you choose to answer to identifies who you are.


    Wishon 919THI  11* S2S Black 65 S
    Wishon 929HS  14* S2S White S
    Wishon 775HS   21* S2S Black Hybrids S
    Wishon 575MMC Forged 4-A Superlight steel S
    PING Glide 3.0 Eye2  54* & 60*
    Wishon S2R #1 milled face putter
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  2920WRX Points: 624Posts: 2,920 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #101

    Loving the MTB Black... not sure it's the utopia ball, but it fits my needs for now. Decently priced, performs as I need it...

    Posted:

    As of 3/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Blue X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    4 iron / utility Sub 70 699 with Proforce 85 gram X
    50, 54, 58 Vokeys
    2 Ball Putter
    13/14 completed for now.

  • playaplaya Members  8756WRX Points: 282Posts: 8,756 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #102

    On -, @Red4282 said:

    On -, @Mikey5e said:

    Question : Could a PGA professional score as well with a Top Flite bomb as with a Titleist Pro V1? I know they probably couldn't get quite the spin off the Top Flight but they can adapt as well.

    Probably not but i would expect the difference to be fairly small. 3-5 shots maybe

    Over 18 holes I would guess 1-2 shots max. I agree that pros would adapt and are good enough to score with any ball under normal conditions, but if the greens were very hard and fast maybe the 3-5 shots would be on the table.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Red4282Red4282 Members  877WRX Points: 359Posts: 877 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Aug 8, 2019 #103

    On -, @Twin2L said:

    As for the science if it all, take 2 different balls and drop them on the kitchen floor from shoulder height. They will bounce to different heights. I’ve seen some rebound an inch or more higher than another. This is also how they will interact with any surface they come in contact with, be it a clubface, green, cart path or tree. Each will rebound differently. My discussion is about MY utopia ball. It has no consideration or bearing on what you can make do with.

    Dropping on the floor does nothing, not even close to compressing the ball like a golf club will. You believe what you wanna believe man... perceptions are exactly that...how you perceive something doesnt always mean thats whats happening.

    Posted:
  • Twin2LTwin2L Members  352WRX Points: 241Handicap: 12Posts: 352 Greens
    Joined:  #104

    Dropping on the floor does nothing, not even close to compressing the ball like a golf club will. You believe what you wanna believe man... perceptions are exactly that...how you perceive something doesnt always mean thats whats happening.

    “Don’t believe your lying eyes”.

    Now I understand what you’re saying.

    Posted:
    It matters not what others call you. What you choose to answer to identifies who you are.


    Wishon 919THI  11* S2S Black 65 S
    Wishon 929HS  14* S2S White S
    Wishon 775HS   21* S2S Black Hybrids S
    Wishon 575MMC Forged 4-A Superlight steel S
    PING Glide 3.0 Eye2  54* & 60*
    Wishon S2R #1 milled face putter
  • NJgolfer11NJgolfer11 Members  186WRX Points: 95Handicap: 8Posts: 186 Fairways
    Joined:  #105

    I am in the same boat as well.

    I am down to my last 2 sleeves of Bridgestone B-330s. I have tried a few balls. I like the Taylormade Project a and TP5. The a I thought launched a little too high so I am concerned how it will be in the wind.

    The TP5 feels great and I get a lot of distance off the tee, but I am not sure if it will travel as well with my irons.

    When I had my fitting earlier in the year, but numbers for my driver were on average, 93.7 club head speed, 141 ball speed, 2712 spin rate.

    7-iron was 78.6 club head speed, 111.8 ball speed, 5625 spin rate.

    I am going to try different golf balls and see which one is best for me going forward, but I think I am asking for much.

    I want a soft feeling ball, that I can gain an extra 5 yards of carry with my irons, but also want it to check up well on my pitches and chips. I also prefer a softer feel off the putter.

    Am I asking for too much?

    Posted:
  • monks66monks66 Members  917WRX Points: 119Posts: 917 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #106

    On -, @NJgolfer11 said:

    I am in the same boat as well.

    I am down to my last 2 sleeves of Bridgestone B-330s. I have tried a few balls. I like the Taylormade Project a and TP5. The a I thought launched a little too high so I am concerned how it will be in the wind.

    The TP5 feels great and I get a lot of distance off the tee, but I am not sure if it will travel as well with my irons.

    When I had my fitting earlier in the year, but numbers for my driver were on average, 93.7 club head speed, 141 ball speed, 2712 spin rate.

    7-iron was 78.6 club head speed, 111.8 ball speed, 5625 spin rate.

    I am going to try different golf balls and see which one is best for me going forward, but I think I am asking for much.

    I want a soft feeling ball, that I can gain an extra 5 yards of carry with my irons, but also want it to check up well on my pitches and chips. I also prefer a softer feel off the putter.

    Am I asking for too much?

    AVX my friend

    Posted:
  • Twin2LTwin2L Members  352WRX Points: 241Handicap: 12Posts: 352 Greens
    Joined:  edited Aug 8, 2019 #107

    On -, @NJgolfer11 said:

    I am in the same boat as well.

    I am down to my last 2 sleeves of Bridgestone B-330s. I have tried a few balls. I like the Taylormade Project a and TP5. The a I thought launched a little too high so I am concerned how it will be in the wind.

    The TP5 feels great and I get a lot of distance off the tee, but I am not sure if it will travel as well with my irons.

    When I had my fitting earlier in the year, but numbers for my driver were on average, 93.7 club head speed, 141 ball speed, 2712 spin rate.

    7-iron was 78.6 club head speed, 111.8 ball speed, 5625 spin rate.

    I am going to try different golf balls and see which one is best for me going forward, but I think I am asking for much.

    I want a soft feeling ball, that I can gain an extra 5 yards of carry with my irons, but also want it to check up well on my pitches and chips. I also prefer a softer feel off the putter.

    Am I asking for too much?

    If you’re already playing the B330S, the BRXS will definitely give you the extra 5 yards with irons, very soft feel off the putter and has plenty of check up. The BRX is also worth a try, will also give you the 5 yard increase on irons and will feel slightly firmer off the putter if the BRXS feels too soft.

    Posted:
    It matters not what others call you. What you choose to answer to identifies who you are.


    Wishon 919THI  11* S2S Black 65 S
    Wishon 929HS  14* S2S White S
    Wishon 775HS   21* S2S Black Hybrids S
    Wishon 575MMC Forged 4-A Superlight steel S
    PING Glide 3.0 Eye2  54* & 60*
    Wishon S2R #1 milled face putter
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BreezyBrett20BreezyBrett20 Members  81WRX Points: 34Posts: 81 Fairways
    Joined:  #108

    On -, @Twin2L said:

    On -, @NJgolfer11 said:

    I am in the same boat as well.

    I am down to my last 2 sleeves of Bridgestone B-330s. I have tried a few balls. I like the Taylormade Project a and TP5. The a I thought launched a little too high so I am concerned how it will be in the wind.

    The TP5 feels great and I get a lot of distance off the tee, but I am not sure if it will travel as well with my irons.

    When I had my fitting earlier in the year, but numbers for my driver were on average, 93.7 club head speed, 141 ball speed, 2712 spin rate.

    7-iron was 78.6 club head speed, 111.8 ball speed, 5625 spin rate.

    I am going to try different golf balls and see which one is best for me going forward, but I think I am asking for much.

    I want a soft feeling ball, that I can gain an extra 5 yards of carry with my irons, but also want it to check up well on my pitches and chips. I also prefer a softer feel off the putter.

    Am I asking for too much?

    If you’re already playing the B330S, the BRXS will definitely give you the extra 5 yards with irons, very soft feel off the putter and has plenty of check up. The BRX is also worth a try, will also give you the 5 yard increase on irons and will feel slightly firmer off the putter if the BRXS feels too soft.

    RX is a really good ball

    Posted:
  • NJgolfer11NJgolfer11 Members  186WRX Points: 95Handicap: 8Posts: 186 Fairways
    Joined:  #109

    On -, @Twin2L said:

    On -, @NJgolfer11 said:

    I am in the same boat as well.

    I am down to my last 2 sleeves of Bridgestone B-330s. I have tried a few balls. I like the Taylormade Project a and TP5. The a I thought launched a little too high so I am concerned how it will be in the wind.

    The TP5 feels great and I get a lot of distance off the tee, but I am not sure if it will travel as well with my irons.

    When I had my fitting earlier in the year, but numbers for my driver were on average, 93.7 club head speed, 141 ball speed, 2712 spin rate.

    7-iron was 78.6 club head speed, 111.8 ball speed, 5625 spin rate.

    I am going to try different golf balls and see which one is best for me going forward, but I think I am asking for much.

    I want a soft feeling ball, that I can gain an extra 5 yards of carry with my irons, but also want it to check up well on my pitches and chips. I also prefer a softer feel off the putter.

    Am I asking for too much?

    If you’re already playing the B330S, the BRXS will definitely give you the extra 5 yards with irons, very soft feel off the putter and has plenty of check up. The BRX is also worth a try, will also give you the 5 yard increase on irons and will feel slightly firmer off the putter if the BRXS feels too soft.

    I did try the BRXS. I remember it feeling very nice. However, my concern is that I hit a high ball and with the low compression, I am afraid it will not travel well in the wind.

    I played the new ProV1X over the weekend and really like the feel. Compared to the TP5, my ball flight looked lower and on the level I am looking for.

    I am going to try the new BX and BXS, along with the Srixon XV. After that, I think I have an idea of which will be best for me.

    Thank you!

    Posted:
  • Mikey5eMikey5e michMembers  1323WRX Points: 298Handicap: 15Posts: 1,323 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #110

    There isn't such a 'utopia' ball. I find I love the ball more when I score well with it, but dislike it when I score poorly.

    Posted:
  • deepreddeepred Members  323WRX Points: 94Handicap: 12Posts: 323 Greens
    Joined:  #111

    On -, @playa said:

    On -, @Red4282 said:

    On -, @Mikey5e said:

    Question : Could a PGA professional score as well with a Top Flite bomb as with a Titleist Pro V1? I know they probably couldn't get quite the spin off the Top Flight but they can adapt as well.

    Probably not but i would expect the difference to be fairly small. 3-5 shots maybe

    Over 18 holes I would guess 1-2 shots max. I agree that pros would adapt and are good enough to score with any ball under normal conditions, but if the greens were very hard and fast maybe the 3-5 shots would be on the table.

    At Augusta National in mid April I think the difference would be more than a couple of strokes. Muirfield Village after three days of thunderstorms, probably not much difference in their scores but it would be fun to watch

    Posted:
    Cleveland Classic XL Driver
    KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
    Maltby MXU 23* 
    Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
    Wilson Pi5 6-PW
    Wilson JP 55* SW
    Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
    Ray Cook M2 Mallet
  • monks66monks66 Members  917WRX Points: 119Posts: 917 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #112

    I want to find a utopia ball, but new balls come out and part of my love for golf is trying new balls. I must say, i love the 2019 Pro v1X, the specs make it a mid handi's ball, not just low handi...great feel

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • monks66monks66 Members  917WRX Points: 119Posts: 917 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #113

    ooops sorry, I meant Pro v1, not Pro v1x in last post

    Posted:
  • Tim SherwoodTim Sherwood Members  421WRX Points: 139Handicap: HighPosts: 421 Greens
    Joined:  #114

    I think Project S may be the nicest ball I've ever played. Unfortunately I bought 30 Srixon Z stars + 30 Z Star XV's before I realised this.

    Posted:
  • monks66monks66 Members  917WRX Points: 119Posts: 917 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #115

    i am really loving the 2019 Pro v1...mostly cuz of the specs, a mid or high handi can truly play it and not be hurt by the usual high prov1 spin from tee to green

    Posted:
  • adkleeadklee Members  81WRX Points: 68Posts: 81 Fairways
    Joined:  #116

    Srixon XV for me.

    Everyone's looking for something in a ball--distance, feel, price, etc. The XV just happens to tick all the boxes on my golf ball list: Distance with driver, solid spin with irons, controlled spin with wedges, great feedback off putter. Great in the wind, firm conditions, soft conditions, etc. Also, pretty durable (unless a tree rudely gets in the way of my ball). Plus, you can usually get them for $20/dozen through their annual bogo sale or getting the $10/6-ball trial pack. As an average joe golfer, price was the tie-breaker between balls (pro v's, tp5's, rx's, etc etc.) that performed very similar for my game.

    Posted:
  • LHGolf4LHGolf4 Lefty Boomers  568WRX Points: 200Posts: 568 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #117

    I had been using Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV balls but they were spinning up a little too much and I was losing a fair amount of distance. I found an AVX and tried it for a few holes and it did pretty well so I used a gift card I had to get a dozen. After two rounds I am sold this thing fits my swing perfectly. Irons have the correct distance and they hop and stop into the green, wedges just drop and stop, plenty of spin for chip shots, and really good distance off the driver. I will look for some used ones as it hurts to pay that much for a dozen.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members  11744WRX Points: 1,555Posts: 11,744 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #118

    I have found my "utopia" ball three times so far. Wouldn't surprise me to "re-find" it again at some point in the future...

    In 2013 a long-weekend social event I attended gave away a dozen Pro V1x to each player. On impulse I teed them up and use them all three days and the height and distance I got off the driver, along with instantly "bonding" with the way they acted around the green sold me on them. Didn't play anything else for the next year or so.

    Then because I can't stand happiness I switched to Chrome Soft then B330 balls instead. Didn't much like Chrome Soft but B330 suited me just fine. After a couple years, I picked up a dozen NOS 2015 Pro V1x at a decent price and it was like, "Wow I really like these a lot!". Go figure. Found "utopia" in the Pro V1x for the second time.

    So I used them for the next few months until the AVX came out. AVX was love at first round. Lots of extra rollout from my driver (really low trajectory and landing angle, not a lot of spin) and maybe a few extra yards off the irons. I just kind of ignored the occasional ball carrying 3-4 extra yards off an 8-iron then taking a big hop forward on a firm green and into trouble. The AVX affair lasted a year and a half before I abandoned it and returned to the Pro V1x fold.

    So now I'm playing 2019 Pro V1x and "utopia" is here again. Honest to goodness, I'm going to make it at least five years this time I swear. Really. Seriously. I will. You read it here first.

    Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • monks66monks66 Members  917WRX Points: 119Posts: 917 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #119

    On -, @North Butte said:

    I have found my "utopia" ball three times so far. Wouldn't surprise me to "re-find" it again at some point in the future...

    In 2013 a long-weekend social event I attended gave away a dozen Pro V1x to each player. On impulse I teed them up and use them all three days and the height and distance I got off the driver, along with instantly "bonding" with the way they acted around the green sold me on them. Didn't play anything else for the next year or so.

    Then because I can't stand happiness I switched to Chrome Soft then B330 balls instead. Didn't much like Chrome Soft but B330 suited me just fine. After a couple years, I picked up a dozen NOS 2015 Pro V1x at a decent price and it was like, "Wow I really like these a lot!". Go figure. Found "utopia" in the Pro V1x for the second time.

    So I used them for the next few months until the AVX came out. AVX was love at first round. Lots of extra rollout from my driver (really low trajectory and landing angle, not a lot of spin) and maybe a few extra yards off the irons. I just kind of ignored the occasional ball carrying 3-4 extra yards off an 8-iron then taking a big hop forward on a firm green and into trouble. The AVX affair lasted a year and a half before I abandoned it and returned to the Pro V1x fold.

    So now I'm playing 2019 Pro V1x and "utopia" is here again. Honest to goodness, I'm going to make it at least five years this time I swear. Really. Seriously. I will. You read it here first.

    LOL...i can relate, i have yet to find a utopia ball, evnthough I stated I did like you..and when I thought I did, tried something else. its part of the fun of golf...I did find my utopia driver at least...Taylor Made M2 lol

    Posted:
  • rwbloom93rwbloom93 Members  27WRX Points: 18Posts: 27 Bunkers
    Joined:  edited Sep 5, 2019 #120

    On -, @Red4282 said:

    On -, @Twin2L said:

    As for the science if it all, take 2 different balls and drop them on the kitchen floor from shoulder height. They will bounce to different heights. I’ve seen some rebound an inch or more higher than another. This is also how they will interact with any surface they come in contact with, be it a clubface, green, cart path or tree. Each will rebound differently. My discussion is about MY utopia ball. It has no consideration or bearing on what you can make do with.

    Dropping on the floor does nothing, not even close to compressing the ball like a golf club will. You believe what you wanna believe man... perceptions are exactly that...how you perceive something doesnt always mean thats whats happening.

    Dropping a ball from shoulder height onto a hard surface and observing the rebound gives an indication how hot the ball will be off the clubface on chips and putts only (and to some extent 1/2 wedges). But other than that, I agree with you, it doesn't relate to full shots with driver or irons. Almost all the high compression (premium) balls are "dead" on drop tests relative to mid/low compression balls....but that's a big advantage for premium on fast greens because it gives the golfer control (along with the urethane cover).

    Don't have a utopia ball and I honestly enjoy the differences in all the modern balls. Gun to the head, pick a ball, probably TourB RX.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • PopeofTexasPopeofTexas Members, Paid BST  70WRX Points: 24Posts: 70 Bunkers
    Joined:  #121

    On -, @LHGolf4 said:

    I had been using Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV balls but they were spinning up a little too much and I was losing a fair amount of distance. I found an AVX and tried it for a few holes and it did pretty well so I used a gift card I had to get a dozen. After two rounds I am sold this thing fits my swing perfectly. Irons have the correct distance and they hop and stop into the green, wedges just drop and stop, plenty of spin for chip shots, and really good distance off the driver. I will look for some used ones as it hurts to pay that much for a dozen.

    You guys are really making me want to try the AVX. I do love both Z-Star and XV and I also love that they are gettable for $20/dozen though.

    Posted:

    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9*
    Hybrids: Callaway Rogue 17* & Callaway XR 19*
    Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 4-9i
    Wedges: Callaway Apex Pro 16 PW & AW
    Cleveland TA Reg. 588 54* SW
    Callaway MD4 58/10 S-Grind
    Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo 7 Dual Balance
    Bag: Sun Mountain C-130
    Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart V1
    Ball: Bang for your $$. Currently playing Srixon Z-Star

7

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.