FIFA Women's World Cup

Crazy About GolfCrazy About Golf Members Posts: 299 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome.....another World Cup in the bag for the USWNT. How is it that the U.S. can produce such a dominant force in the women's game, but the men's national team can't even muster up a W against Trinidad and Tobago?? Yes, we are more culturally geared toward football, baseball, golf, etc......but you'd think with 320+ million people and all the resources here, we'd fare a bit better. Perhaps the ladies should represent the US in Qatar in 2022.....ha!

Cobra F9 Speedback 8 degree, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 in 6.5
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 12.5 degree, Aldila Tour ATX-75 in x-flex
Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder in x-flex
Mizuno MP18 3-PW, Dynamic Gold x-100
Mizuno T7 52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8 putter
​Titleist Pro-V1

Comments

• Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great Cup. I watched every game. Congrats USWNT!!!!! And watched the Men's also. As they lost Champ. to Mexico 1-0 in a game the U.S. should of won in the first half. SOS.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • Zac1321Zac1321 Members Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

easy, were lightyears ahead of most other countries in terms of promoting and pushing womens sports (thanks title IX). Not to say whether or not womens sports get the amount of resources they should that's an entirely different argument but title IX came around 50 years ago so weve got a huge jump on most everyone else

• Crazy About GolfCrazy About Golf Members Posts: 299 ✭✭✭✭

@Qqq123xx said:
    Great Cup. I watched every game. Congrats USWNT!!!!! And watched the Men's also. As they lost Champ. to Mexico 1-0 in a game the U.S. should of won in the first half. SOS.

@Qqq123xx said:

Should have been more precise, as my criticism is directed at their World Cup performances........pretty good showing at the CONCACAF....then again, the US wasn't exactly facing any powerhouses in this event. I'm still hopeful we'll get there one day!

​Titleist Pro-V1

@Zac1321 said:
    easy, were lightyears ahead of most other countries in terms of promoting and pushing womens sports (thanks title IX). Not to say whether or not womens sports get the amount of resources they should that's an entirely different argument but title IX came around 50 years ago so weve got a huge jump on most everyone else

But that doesn't answer the other question of why the US men are lagging so far behind the world's top programs.

​Titleist Pro-V1
  • Chief IlliniwekChief Illiniwek Members Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Crazy About Golf said:

@Zac1321 said:

But that doesn't answer the other question of why the US men are lagging so far behind the world's top programs.

I don't think there's any secret reason why other countries are so much better. The US's best athletes just don't play soccer. In fact I'd say it's way down the list although that trend may be changing but that's just my feeling, I have no evidence to back it up.

• Zac1321Zac1321 Members Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

@Chief Illiniwek said:

@Crazy About Golf said:

@Zac1321 said:

I don't think there's any secret reason why other countries are so much better. The US's best athletes just don't play soccer. In fact I'd say it's way down the list although that trend may be changing but that's just my feeling, I have no evidence to back it up.

yeah pretty much, same reason why no other countries are good at (or even really play) American football etc etc

• shanxshanx Members Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chief Illiniwek said:

@Crazy About Golf said:

@Zac1321 said:

This.

Also, MLS players don't make what NFL, NBA or NHL, so athletes with aspirations to be professional athletes don't line up to play soccer. Male soccer players are well paid in other parts of the world, but those parts dont have competition with other pro leagues.

• PetethreeputPetethreeput Members Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

$$$$$$ is the answer.
    In the USA a kid grows up seeing NFL, NBA, MLB on TV and hear about the money.
    Everywhere else in the world they grow up seeing Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, etc and the money and this is the avenue they pursue.
    It’s the draw of athletes.

Thanks for your comments.......this link provides an interesting and thoughtful take on the matter. Cheers.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/why-american-men-suck-soccer-world-cup-2018-6

​Titleist Pro-V1
  • CHuntsmanCHuntsman Members Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crazy About Golf said:
    Awesome.....another World Cup in the bag for the USWNT. How is it that the U.S. can produce such a dominant force in the women's game, but the men's national team can't even muster up a W against Trinidad and Tobago?? Yes, we are more culturally geared toward football, baseball, golf, etc......but you'd think with 320+ million people and all the resources here, we'd fare a bit better. Perhaps the ladies should represent the US in Qatar in 2022.....ha!

It starts a the top. Nothing but a bunch of imbeciles running it.

• GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Women's football is not really popular in Europe. Which means that there is not a lot of money to be made which leads to bad infrastructure and not a lot of professional players.
    I don't see this changing anytime soon, too. There is too much money to be made in the men's game and the people are so accustomed to high-level, men's football that the female matches feel incredibly slow in comparison.

Cobra F9 10° w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
    TM M2 DF 16.5° w/ Diamana W80X
    Cobra F9 4 Iron w/ AD IZ 95X
    Miura CB57 4-PW w/ KBS Tour 130X
    Vokey SM4 52°/ Cleveland RTX 2.0 Raw 56°/ Vokey Proto 60° w/ DG Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red 34"
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You have a sport which is affordable everywhere else in the world and the game of the streets. Here you have to pay to play to the point that poor kids have no access to the game at a high level and most kids in the streets play basketball not soccer.

That doesn’t even go into the structural issues of the US system with sub-par coaching and horrible talent identification and development practices.

Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)

@GolfChannel said:
    You have a sport which is affordable everywhere else in the world and the game of the streets. Here you have to pay to play to the point that poor kids have no access to the game at a high level and most kids in the streets play basketball not soccer.

That doesn’t even go into the structural issues of the US system with sub-par coaching and horrible talent identification and development practices.

Yes, pretty much what the article in the link above says......fingers crossed for a 3-peat by the ladies in 2023 and at least a solid performance by the men the year before.

​Titleist Pro-V1
  • scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UKMembers Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's not the us main sport. The women's game has grown alot in the uk recently with much larger crowds watching it but it's a million miles off the mens game. However, the national team has done well and having Phil neville as manager has really raised its profile. But the women's game gets larger numbers in Europe at present time with Barcelona, Juventus and lyon attracting 50k plus crowds recently..... And the first game of uks women's season is a Manchester Derby..... Be interesting to see what the crowd is.
    The US has the potential to have the main football league but its never lifted off as you love baseball, us football, hockey and basketball far more..... But you have a world Cup again soonish so the men might benefit from that

• brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Crazy About Golf said:

@GolfChannel said:

Yes, pretty much what the article in the link above says......fingers crossed for a 3-peat by the ladies in 2023 and at least a solid performance by the men the year before.

"Solid performance"?, let's set the bar at qualifying first

PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 58M
    Odyssey White Hot #1

@brew4eagle said:

@Crazy About Golf said:

@GolfChannel said:

"Solid performance"?, let's set the bar at qualifying first.

No need to quibble......hoping that they qualify is kind of a given.....I don't have incredibly high expectations; but again, my fingers are crossed for them to have a solid performance.

​Titleist Pro-V1
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I will tell you with 2 girls in youth soccer, there are more places for girls to learn and play then boys. My 8 year old signed up for boys soccer camp, only girl but 20 boys. Week later she did the girls camp 60 girls. It is unreal then difference, comes down to other sports are more popular.

TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@sheppy335 said:
    I will tell you with 2 girls in youth soccer, there are more places for girls to learn and play then boys. My 8 year old signed up for boys soccer camp, only girl but 20 boys. Week later she did the girls camp 60 girls. It is unreal then difference, comes down to other sports are more popular.

In my area, when the girls get older there aren't enough girls registering to make teams for a league. My 12 year old will have to play U16 so there's enough girls to make a league.

PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 58M
    Odyssey White Hot #1
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,114 mod
    edited Jul 24, 2019 12:48pm #20

@scruffynick said:
    It's not the us main sport.

Full stop.

When I was driving around Italy this spring, all you see are soccer fields. Out in the country, in small towns, even in the cities little half-fields with goals painted on the wall - everywhere. No (american) football fields. No hockey rinks. One basketball court that I can remember. No baseball fields. This is the difference that is never going to change no matter how much people want it to.

As far as the womens World Cup team, I just dont know how womens professional soccer gets more popular. When I was younger it was Mia Hamm that was the superstar in soccer. And each time after a World Cup it was about how much this was going to launch womens professional soccer in the US. But that hasnt happened. The 91 World Cup was now...28+ years ago and I dont see that much has changed outside of the usual post-WC surge in popularity.

I think the unfortunate bottom line is that outside of hardcore fans, it just does not appear to be financially viable. The only way I can see this changing would be either for long term, massive financial donations from sponsors or a situation like the WNBA where the MLS financially props up the NWSL and supports it no matter how much money is lost. Heck even during the WWC they were running stories about how the NWSL was on the brink of bankruptcy.

I love watching soccer but I've given up on it being wildly succesful in the US. But then again I'm not one of those "soccer people" that wants to convince you how great it is and thinks people are dumb who dont watch it. I really dont care what you watch. But from a business standpoint, its pretty clear that its a really hard sell in the US.

M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis

@dcmidnight said:

@scruffynick said:
    It's not the us main sport.

Full stop.

When I was driving around Italy this spring, all you see are soccer fields. Out in the country, in small towns, even in the cities little half-fields with goals painted on the wall - everywhere. No (american) football fields. No hockey rinks. One basketball court that I can remember. No baseball fields. This is the difference that is never going to change no matter how much people want it to.

As far as the womens World Cup team, I just dont know how womens professional soccer gets more popular. When I was younger it was Mia Hamm that was the superstar in soccer. And each time after a World Cup it was about how much this was going to launch womens professional soccer in the US. But that hasnt happened. The 91 World Cup was now...28+ years ago and I dont see that much has changed outside of the usual post-WC surge in popularity.

I think the unfortunate bottom line is that outside of hardcore fans, it just does not appear to be financially viable. The only way I can see this changing would be either for long term, massive financial donations from sponsors or a situation like the WNBA where the MLS financially props up the NWSL and supports it no matter how much money is lost. Heck even during the WWC they were running stories about how the NWSL was on the brink of bankruptcy.

I love watching soccer but I've given up on it being wildly succesful in the US. But then again I'm not one of those "soccer people" that wants to convince you how great it is and thinks people are dumb who dont watch it. I really dont care what you watch. But from a business standpoint, its pretty clear that its a really hard sell in the US.

Good Post, where in Italy have you been? Was a holiday rep for 4 years in Italy (in my youth thou) loved the country, people everything.... And yep all fanatical soccer supporters, but if you get the chance to go to a Rome Derby... Wow just wow!

• dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,114 mod

@scruffynick said:
    Good Post, where in Italy have you been? Was a holiday rep for 4 years in Italy (in my youth thou) loved the country, people everything.... And yep all fanatical soccer supporters, but if you get the chance to go to a Rome Derby... Wow just wow!

We did 2.5 weeks in Venice, Florence, Modena and Rome. It was amazing - I cannot wait to go back. We were going to go to a Roma game but in the weeks leading up to it they had a number of "incidents" at the stadium with visiting fans - including a fatal stabbing at a nearby bar. Decided, nah, we'll find something else to do lol.

M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This should be entertaining, define what makes them the best?

Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • calfan36calfan36 Members Posts: 196 ✭✭✭

This misconception that everyone says is so annoying. You don't need the "best athletes" playing soccer to be better. The US men's team is far more athletic than many teams way superior to it.

You need a proper culture of loving and living the sport. We don't have that, it's that simple soccer is a highly highly technical game. Think about the difference in skill level of a kid who grew up in Brazil, who plays on the street every waking moment, vs an American who's parents take him to soccer practice 3 yikes a week.

Now think about that and think about how almost every kid in Brazil is doing that. The competition is insane and the best of the best of the best make it

• Texas1Texas1 Members Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭

@GolfChannel said:
    This should be entertaining, define what makes them the best?

Couldn’t agree more. Let those defensive units try and play rugby for 80mins non stop. Jeez some can’t manage running 10yards without needing oxygen. I know this is also a generalization and a little ignorant also 😉

Also to suggest that the men’s soccer team has better athletes is ignorance of the highest order. Just complete nonsense

All pro teams have the trackers on players these days to see fitness levels etc. not like it was in the 70/80/90’s when they were all on the **** and eating **** food

There are many reasons why men’s soccer is complete garbage in the US.

Not competitive
    No local infrastructure
    Title 9 i college where no money for men’s soccer like women’s so there is nowhere to go after high school for most ( I may have the title 9 wrong there)
    No money
    And all this nonsense about they all play basketball or American football. Well even if there was a ton of money there’d only be so many doing soccer, soccer isn’t a game for larger athletes
    Real football is ingrained in all European and South American cultures, this is the biggest one. There are 100’s of semi-pro teams in 50square miles, so many good players that aren’t good enough. Also 1000’s of amateur teams that play 2/3 times a week. America will never have that due to all of the above. Massive infrastructure everywhere else and it’s bred into us

Titleist 915 D2 Fujikura PRO XLR8 S
    Titleist 917F2 13.5 ATTAS6 6x
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54f KBS Tour V
    Mizuno T7 50 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

@dcmidnight said:

@scruffynick said:

We did 2.5 weeks in Venice, Florence, Modena and Rome. It was amazing - I cannot wait to go back. We were going to go to a Roma game but in the weeks leading up to it they had a number of "incidents" at the stadium with visiting fans - including a fatal stabbing at a nearby bar. Decided, nah, we'll find something else to do lol.

Oh nots not good, but Rome is my favourite city. Just wonderful, and it just comes alive at night. Pitty Roma and lazio supporters aren't the best... Especially the ultras. Was a rep in North naples so I went to Rome alot, then up to Lake garda and if you get the chance to go to Lake garda..... Just take it in! Was based on the South corner called pescheria, stunning place

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file