What Ball Replaced The ProV1/ProV1x For You?

jick

The Top Pros No Longer Use Them...
What do Woods, Mickelson, Els, Sergio, Immelman, Sorenstam, and even last week's winner - Anthony Kim have in common?

Well, the answer is simple - none of them play a Titleist ball.

As of this week, only 5 of the top 17 in the World Rankings play Titleists. In the PGA Tour Money list, 7 out of 11 are non-Titleist users.

Titleist ads focus more on tour usage rather than performance benefits or technological advances. They have truly been trying to cash-in on their ball being a habit. But this trend seems to be losing steam as of late.

The top pros no longer use them, and this will have a trickle down effect to the others who will be influenced to move away from Titleist.

There is also the lawsuit Callaway filed again them where it was established that the ProV1 infringes on 8 out of the 9 patents in question. There is also the dark cloud about Titleist settling the lawsuit Bridgestone filed again them for patent infringement. Now when you buy a Titleist ball, a part of the price you pay is for the royalties it owes to Bridgestone for every ball sold.

With the technological espionage and the lack of advertising based on emprical stats or technological advances, Titleist's reputation is falling out of favor among many of its former users.

So to all of the former Pro V1 and Pro V1x users, what balls are you using now?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2008 Nike One Platinum (gamer)

Just tried the Srixon Z-urc really liked it too

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Former ball: Pro V1x

Current ball: 2008 Taylormade Red LDP :clapping:

Ditto...

Has nearly identical feel, plus better wind performance and a tad less spin which is better for me. And they are about $.50 a ball less expensive... (must be the part they are paying to Bridgestone....) I am not paying more to have a Titleist logo on my ball unless it plays better, and the current V1x is not as good as this ball... for me anyways.

None, I can't (won't) let what pros play influence what I play, I have to go by my feel not someone Else's. I play Pro V1's because they are the best for my game, can I hit another ball longer? Yes, can I hit another ball that spins the way I like? Yes, but can I get these features together? No so far, will always look but seldom find.

Regards,

Frankie

Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of playing a Titleist. I lost alot of respect for Callaway when they bought the patent rights thru the merger just so they can sue Titleist for infringement on the design Patent. Its not that Titleist stole the design of the ball by some spy. There design just happened to be VERY similar to bridgestones design developed around the same time and Bridgestone had there Patent approved first. Callaway and Bridgestone just want a piece of the huge pie that Titleist has. If I were going to switch it would be a Bridgestone B330s or Srixon Zurs.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I've moved from the Pro V1 to the TP Red LDP. I've found the TP Red LDP to be longer, more durable and more stable in the wind.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Bridgestone B330

I agree that Titleist seems to be losing momentum in the ball department. Other companies are making VERY good balls now with a lower price tag than the Pro V1/V1x.

TSR3 8 Tour AD UB 6

TSR2+ 14.5 Tour AD CQ 7

TSR2 21 Tour AD DI 85

U505 4 Tour AD DI 95

T200 5-6 Steelfiber i110

T150 7-GW Steelfiber i110
Vokey SM10 54F/60M Steelfiber i110
Scotty Cameron Timeless TT Circle T

Pro V1

As far as I'm aware Titleist still have a grip on the ball count that's tighter than a Scotsman's on a five pound note.

Wins are all well and good, but I always attach more importance to what the majority of players are playing since it gives a truer picture. There are many balls out there now in the premium sector that are all excellent (as opposed to 10 or 15 years ago when there were basically only two or three viable options) but Titleist still field more balls each week than Nike, Bridgestone, Srixon, Callaway and Taylor Made. Yes, there's tee up money involved, but that's true for the other balls too, and Titleist still clean up on the counts.

For me, the tour counts are an interesting diversion since I'm not a tour pro and perhaps need something different to what the big names are playing. My choice is based on the best qualities for my game and I'm playing a Nike One Platinum. It's got the soft feel I'm after around the greens, and it's workable, which is a must for me since I grew up shaping the ball. It's also a good ball for people like me who still play long irons as it gives a nice hanging flight with that little bit of extra spin that it naturally has over other balls.

Compared to a Pro V1 it's also more durable and I can get a couple of rounds out of a single ball where a Titleist starts to get a bit knackered after a dozen or so holes. A Pro V1X is definitely longer for me - maybe half a club with the irons and a noticable increase in distance with the driver - but I always pick a ball by working backwards from the green and I don't like the feel that the V1X has around the greens.

I've managed to get my grubby mitts on some of the 2008 One Platinums and they are the best ball I've ever played.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

i feel that the big name pro's are influenced to play certain balls. There are still pro's out there that use the older style prov's. for me I dont really care if I get an extra 3 yards off the tee. i still play prov's and i some times do play the bridgestone's and the new tp red. the callaway just feel gross on my putter and Phil had the same problem when he switched. he had to add an insert initially to his putter.

As far as I'm aware Titleist still have a grip on the ball count that's tighter than a Scotsman's on a five pound note.

Wins are all well and good, but I always attach more importance to what the majority of players are playing since it gives a truer picture. There are many balls out there now in the premium sector that are all excellent (as opposed to 10 or 15 years ago whe there were basically only two or three viable options) but Titleist still field more balls each week than Nike, Bridgestone, Srixon, Callaway and Taylor Made. Yes, there's tee up money involved, but that's true for the other balls too, and Titleist still clean up on the counts.

For me, the tour counts are an interesting diversion since I'm not a tour pro and perhaps need something different to what the big names are playing. My choice is based on the best qualities for my game and I'm playing a Nike One Platinum. It's got the soft feel I'm after around the greens, and it's workable, which is a must for me since I grew up shaping the ball. It's also a good ball for people like me who still play long irons as it gives a nice hanging flight with that little bit of extra spin that it naturally has over other balls.

Compared to a Pro V1 it's also more durable and I can get a couple of rounds out of a single ball where a Titleist starts to get a bit knackered after a dozen or so holes. A Pro V1X is definitely longer for me - maybe half a club with the irons and a noticable increase in distance with the driver - but I always pick a ball by working backwards from the green and I don't like the feel that the V1X has around the greens.

I've managed to get my grubby mitts on some of the 2008 One Platinums and they are the best ball I've ever played.

I agree Titleist BUYs more players than any other manufacturer. It is all "pay to play" on tour and Titleist currently has the deepest pockets.

Not that long ago they had the only real "tour quality" ball... almost everybody played it. As more and more manufacturers offer products (and sponsorship $$$) fewer will play Titleist, but unless Titleist cuts their budget, they will keep the ball count lead which they have staked a lot of marketing capital on and have drawn a line in the sand over..

It's the old "if a tour pro plays it then I have confidence that it can't suck..." concept. I can't honestly say I would play a ball that was not in use on tour for that reason... I figure nobody is going to stake their living on a "bad" ball no matter how much they get paid.

Now that Titleist isn't the only game in town, we all have more choices, which is a good thing... I am still going to select a ball that I think works best for my game but now I have more choices than ever.

How can you say the top pros are no longer using ProV1 or ProV1x? If you want to go by rankings, 2 of the Top 4 (Scott and Ogilvy) play Titleist, and so do Stricker and Singh. That's 4 Top 10 players - twice as many as any of the other companies who cherrypick the top players and give them truckloads of money to switch. You don't think Tiger, Phil, Ernie and Sergio left Titleist when they did because of money? Please. Titleist still has over 70 percent of all players and half of the top 50. Take the money out of the game and the counts are over 90 percent at all of the major amateur events. I'll stick to the Pro V1 because it works best. But don't embarrass yourself by saying the top pros no longer use them.

I'm just the opposite. I was using the Bridgestone E6+ and was curious about all the V1/V1x hype so I just ordered 2 dozens from lostgolfballs for a very good price. If they don't work out the 2 dozens are still cheaper than 2 dozen new Bridgestone E5/E6+s and I can always go back. I hope I don't get hooked.

ProV1 to Hogan Apex Tour to Z-URS to HX Tour-56 to B330-S

Interested in trying the new Tour i from Callaway.

Was introduced to a Titleist Rep, who added that they'll put the new ProV1 Protos in play for testing - normally after the PGA (maybe after the FedEx) -- New Balls are Coming in March '09. But that is the typical Titleist ball cycle

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I only use balls that suit my game, I love trying a new ball when it hits the market. My top ball is still the Pro V1 though, but do like the Red from Taylormade, got a dozen Callaway Tour i's to use once I can find my game again.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

On a side note, what's the most durable tour ball in your experience? (not to hijack the thread...)

2008 one platinum very durable for me and I was shredding the tm balls as well

Srixon Z-URC durable as well

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

the dumbest thing about this thread to me is that it is a "hate on titleist thread". Do you really think that more pro's are payed to play pro v's? why do so many taylormade, cleveland, ping, and callaway, ect pro's play prov1's? do you really think there sponsors allow them to sign deals with titleist. (NO) They play them because of performance and feel. Now the all the best players are playing different balls part. HMMMM? Money. furyk- plays srixon, (his sponsor)... mickelson plays cally, (his sponsor), I feel that nike makes there players play there balls because no non nike guys play them that I have ever seen. Garcia taylor made ball (his sponsor), and so on. If anyone is following the trend of money it is the people who are switching because these pro's are.

Now on a side note most of these balls are great golf balls and have all the same advantages as titleist.