Ever just have an unusually bad day at the course?

ClevelandKyleClevelandKyle Members Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited Jul 8, 2019 5:57pm in General Golf Talk #1

Well, I shot 100 yesterday at a local golf course near me called Emerald Hills. I haven't shot 100 since I started playing the game again about 8 months ago after a 15 year hiatus. Granted, this golf course is one of the longest and more challenging courses in south Florida. But i frequent this course and I know its layout very well. My drives were crap. I haven't sliced my drives in the longest and for whatever reason, I had the hardest time keeping that from happening. I was all over the place. I was chunking shots that should've set me up for birdies, skulling my irons and chips, and water hazards were my worst enemy. The only thing that was strong yesterday was my putting. The highlight of the day was a 45 foot putt for par on the 16th hole which really impressed the mates I was playing with. From that point, things started to slightly improve for me, but it was a little too late. Drove long and straight on 17 & 18, and finished with a nice lay up on the 18th hole for a par. I'm a 15 cap player so I know this might not seem too bad, especially since it was just one round, but I know this course. I can score an 85 there with my eyes closed. I'm just feelin salty about it all! lol. Anyone else recently have a poor round like this?

Taylormade M3 10.5, Mitsubishi Tensei Red 50
Taylormade M3 3H, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 70
Taylormade Fairway Rescue 3 & 5 Wood
Callaway X20 Tour Irons, Project X Flighted Steel (TTIP) 5.0
Cleveland TA5 Irons, True Tempered Dynamic Gold Steel
Ben Hogan 5610 SW
Cleveland 588 Tour Action 60 deg Wedge
Cleveland 588 Tour Action 52 deg Wedge
Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball
Bridgestone Tour B XS

«134

Comments

  • daphenom121daphenom121 Members Posts: 235 ✭✭

    During our last club championship I shot a 75 to be in 2nd place after the first round followed by a smooth 91. I haven't had a worse round, had no confidence in my swing and it led to struggles with chipping and putting as well. It was my highest score in over three years but I guess that is golf!

  • SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Members Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yup. Last year in July I shot 78, first time I had broken 80 since high school. First round of the club championship in August, shot a smooth 109. Hadn't shot over 100 in a long long time.

    Cobra King F8 Driver  Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (15.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid (19 degree setting)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Red X3 (34")
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,271 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Yup. As about a 4-5 hcp, about month ago I started a round with a 10 and followed it up with a double. Great start right? 3rd hole got my first ace, super happy and thought I'd gotten my round back on track. Well I was dead wrong. Had one of the worst rounds in memory to follow. Shot a smooth 90, with an ace, when I'm used to shooting high 70s low 80s. Just awful, thought there was no chance I'd ever shoot 90 again, let alone in a round with a 1 on the card, but it happened. Oddly enough I didn't play again until Saturday and shot 75. Weird game, humbling game, but that's what keeps you coming back.

  • ClevelandKyleClevelandKyle Members Posts: 34 ✭✭

    @VNutz said:
    Yup. As about a 4-5 hcp, about month ago I started a round with a 10 and followed it up with a double. Great start right? 3rd hole got my first ace, super happy and thought I'd gotten my round back on track. Well I was dead wrong. Had one of the worst rounds in memory to follow. Shot a smooth 90, with an ace, when I'm used to shooting high 70s low 80s. Just awful, thought there was no chance I'd ever shoot 90 again, let alone in a round with a 1 on the card, but it happened. Oddly enough I didn't play again until Saturday and shot 75. Weird game, humbling game, but that's what keeps you coming back.

    That's a tough pill to swallow bud. That ace probably made you feel on top of the world. I've had a round where I made back to back eagles and shot a 79, then go out the following day with my ego leaving my head the size of a watermelon and shoot a 92. It's strange how golf can play a psychological screw on you on any given day.

    Taylormade M3 10.5, Mitsubishi Tensei Red 50
    Taylormade M3 3H, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 70
    Taylormade Fairway Rescue 3 & 5 Wood
    Callaway X20 Tour Irons, Project X Flighted Steel (TTIP) 5.0
    Cleveland TA5 Irons, True Tempered Dynamic Gold Steel
    Ben Hogan 5610 SW
    Cleveland 588 Tour Action 60 deg Wedge
    Cleveland 588 Tour Action 52 deg Wedge
    Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

  • HonestPlayerHonestPlayer Members Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

    Sometimes the best pros shoot mid 80s. Don't worry about it, make sure you get after the course next time with good course management.

    Most birdies in a round in 2019 - 3
    Holes in ones career - 1

  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    NOPE all my recent rounds have been awesome
    Last summer though ....

    Ping G410 LST 11.5* Tensei Org 60x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* X-Torsion Cu 60s
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Ping iwedge 50* Tour Concept x100 green 
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    It's been a struggle this summer. 12 capper playing like a twenty. Loosin' money left and right, can't chip or putt to save my life. Played with asst. pro last weekend , he gave me a business to his therapist .

    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Ocean County, NJMembers Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I turned into a moron on the back nine today. For a few holes I could not do anything. Not going to lose sleep over it.

  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,714 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Last Sunday was the worst I've played in collective memory. Came close to whiffing a drive, which frankly ain't easy to do with a 460cc paint can on the end of the shaft.

    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

    I'm a mere mortal with a 13.5 handicap, but I turned in just a miserable round last weekend. I got a sudden bout of the tops and thins, especially off the tee. I hit like 5 or 6 tee shots directly into the ground in front of the tee.

    I'm basically just going to chalk it up to an anomalous round and not try to make much of it.

    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver, 13 deg., Fujikura ATMOS Red
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, Project X EvenFlow Blue 75
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrid, Kuro Kage Black
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 Milled S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway Mac Daddy PM Grind 58 deg.
    Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide, Rosemark 7Teen grip / Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S, Rosemark 1.52 grip
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭✭

    last weekend. typical game until number seventeen. 510 Par five with water crosswise about 340 out with a big willow tree guarding the right side of the pond. there's a marsh and pond up left at 150 if you yank your drive.
    So I went marshland first. gutshot. took the penalty, re-hit and made it up the right right of the fairway. short of goal but safe. then sailed a long one that rolled into the high grass in front of the water.
    not findable. dropped in front of the hazard, made it to 50 in front of the green. pitched, two putted and left ashamed.
    since I dunked one on number sixteen, the new sleeve of Callaway's was gone and I had to dip into the bag for something to play eighteen.

    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

    when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry areaMembers Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭

    An unusually bad day at golf????
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Ive had an unusually bad YEAR!
    My swing and game is on extended vacation to the point im bout ready to hang it up for a good 3-4 months

  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    When all else fails, golf is always there to remind us that we stink.

  • jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    After repairing my game over the past year, I went out this past Sunday with high hopes. Proceeded to shoot a horrific 90 that included several dribbled drives that were embarrassing especially in front of the pro I was playing with. Managed to chip in for birdie from the rough but that was the highlight. Need to get to the for a long session before playing again next weekend - WOW.

  • MooMoo Members Posts: 384 ✭✭✭✭

    Absolutely! When they start to stack up, I start really thinking about a possible reason. But one bad round and it's best to just write it off and charge out for the next one.

    Driver TS2 (first driver in 9 years that could out the trusty 910 D2)
    Ping i3+ Blades (backup set Mizuno MP 54 P-4 which are now in cold storage until the end of time)
    Rogue 3 wood with Evenflow Blue (so easy to hit high and long...Evenflow rules!)
    Rogue 5 wood with Evenflow Blue
    Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,275 ClubWRX

    Perspective.

    85 isn't a no brainer score for a 15 handicap on what you describe as a long and challenging course.

    100 doesn't seem out of the realm of reason for a bad day. Everyone has unusually bad days.

    Just thought I was headed in the wrong direction (overreacting of course) but the golf I've played starting with the 4th and including Sat/Sun/last night has been downright great for me!

  • SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Members Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yup. Last year in July I shot 78, first time I had broken 80 since high school. Driver and irons were phenomenal, couldn't make a putt but didn't have to. First round of the club championship in August, shot a smooth 109. Couldn't get off the tee box or over anything wet. Actually putted fairly well. Hadn't shot over 100 in a long long time. Took a few weeks off before playing after that.

    Cobra King F8 Driver  Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (15.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid (19 degree setting)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Red X3 (34")
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    honestly -- be glad you had it...b/c just like rounds where everything goes in -- they're the extreme outliers. have a laugh, a beer or cigar...let it pass and go low the next round out.

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Ocean County, NJMembers Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @KAndyMan said:
    An unusually bad day at golf????
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Ive had an unusually bad YEAR!
    My swing and game is on extended vacation to the point im bout ready to hang it up for a good 3-4 months

    Wait until December and l will join you.

  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Seems to happen to me every 3-5 rounds. One day I'm out there, swing tempo feels effortless and I shoot great. Next day it feels jagged, clumsy, unhinged. Wish I could tell you why.

    I think that's why we keep playing. Chasing that perfect round that is next to impossible to attain.

    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • lchanglchang Members Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @gioguy21 said:
    honestly -- be glad you had it...b/c just like rounds where everything goes in -- they're the extreme outliers. have a laugh, a beer or cigar...let it pass and go low the next round out.

    Hmmm. Seems like for me, the everything-goes-wrong rounds are more common than the everything-goes-right rounds.

    Can’t just be me?!

  • BicknellCCBicknellCC Members Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Roody said:
    Seems to happen to me every 3-5 rounds. One day I'm out there, swing tempo feels effortless and I shoot great. Next day it feels jagged, clumsy, unhinged. Wish I could tell you why.

    I think that's why we keep playing. Chasing that perfect round that is next to impossible to attain.

    That sounds very familiar,
    I always have a few holes per round where I forget how to swing, but every so often, I feel exactly as you describe and shoot plus 20 or worse.
    Sunday afternoon, I started with 3 easy pars, and fell apart after that. Finally got my next par on 18. Shot a smooth 92.

  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2019 4:37pm #24

    @ClevelandKyle said:
    Anyone else recently have a poor round like this?

    Yes, last night. I couldn't hit anything. Very discouraging. One of the mysteries of golf is why competence disappears so quickly.

    Post edited by MountainGoat on
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2019 2:02pm #25

    I had a horrible start to my practice session last night. Was rather glad I was solo. I lost eight balls on the first nine holes. The only clubs working at all well were my wedges - everything else was shockingly bad. Quite a come down from recent weeks. But I decided to continue with the back nine if only because it's longer and provides a better opportunity for practising the basics. Plus by then I only had three cheap balls left in the bag and felt I might as well get rid of the lot of them :)

    After one more poor hole my swing began to come back to me. I'm still not sure what happened but I think maybe I'd just forgotten what I was there for and was just going through the motions. Once I actually began to think about what I wanted from the shot and where the ball was going to go things came good. My last drive was actually one of the best I've done recently being dead straight and 230 yards in total. I've noticed something like this before. Some days when I play I can really focus in on the ball, where I want it to go and how to strike it. It's like I'm really in the zone. Sadly most days I don't have that level of focus.

    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @BicknellCC said:
    That sounds very familiar,
    I always have a few holes per round where I forget how to swing, but every so often, I feel exactly as you describe and shoot plus 20 or worse.
    Sunday afternoon, I started with 3 easy pars, and fell apart after that. Finally got my next par on 18. Shot a smooth 92.

    It just happened to me last weekend. We had a two day tournament at my club. Day 1, I'm striping the ball. Getting many compliments from my playing partners on the good shots. The swing feels great, effortless. After 15 holes I am only 6 over, which is a pretty good day going for me.

    Then a storm rolled through. We sat under a shelter waiting it out for over an hour. The lightning passed, but the rain didn't stop. The pro shop said to finish the last 3 holes in the rain. I proceed to go par, bogey, double. Finished at +9, and was pissed because I really wanted to break 80. I put my name on two closest to the pins. One for a 10 footer, and one for a 3 footer. Surprisingly, the 10 footer was the only one that held up. The 3 footer got beat by a 1 footer.

    Then day 2 came along, and the feeling of effortless swing from the day prior was gone. The brain got clouded with too many swing thoughts because what I was doing wasn't working like yesterday. I struggled to an 88. Sometimes I just don't know.

    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • ctsgolfctsgolf Members Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

    Shot a 92 earlier this year in a qualifier; currently playing to a 4.1. Just couldn't get the round over with fast enough.

    Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Callaway MD Forged  Recoil 125 F4
    Miura  KM-006  

  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A few rounds back at one of my favorite courses. Didn't feel comfortable over the ball. Kicked the ball around and bogeyed the first hole. The next hole was a long, dogleg right par 5, water right, ob left. Drove my tee shot ob and hit a guy in his back yard. He couldn't have been more forgiving, but I was rattled. Next shot was in the drink and it was a hackathon for the rest of the round.

    One of the holes has a bunker in the middle of the fairway, which I found, then hit an iron out into the middle of the fairway, and we all watched the ball take a 45 degree turn and roll 60 yards into a lake. Another hole I had 130 to the middle with the flag in front. I took a little off my 130 club, then watched the ball fly the green and the hill behind it and end up in the street.

  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Birdie Mac said:
    A few rounds back at one of my favorite courses. Didn't feel comfortable over the ball. Kicked the ball around and bogeyed the first hole. The next hole was a long, dogleg right par 5, water right, ob left. Drove my tee shot ob and hit a guy in his back yard. He couldn't have been more forgiving, but I was rattled. Next shot was in the drink and it was a hackathon for the rest of the round.

    One of the holes has a bunker in the middle of the fairway, which I found, then hit an iron out into the middle of the fairway, and we all watched the ball take a 45 degree turn and roll 60 yards into a lake. Another hole I had 130 to the middle with the flag in front. I took a little off my 130 club, then watched the ball fly the green and the hill behind it and end up in the street.

    Sometimes you just have to laugh huh? It sounds like you took a little something off of your 150 club! I laughed a little bit harder than I should have at the fairway bunker shot. The way it is written it sounds like it almost gained momentum the more it was along the ground!

    Cobra F9 7.5 - Accra TZ5 55
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5 - Fubuki V 70
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18 - Diamana Thump 85
    Mizuno CLK 22* - Speeder 75HB
    New Level 1031 5-P - DG105 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - DG105 Black Onyx
    Bettinardi BB0 "Gotta Sting" Proto 1 of 1 
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Newport
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @phatchrisrules said:

    @Birdie Mac said:
    A few rounds back at one of my favorite courses. Didn't feel comfortable over the ball. Kicked the ball around and bogeyed the first hole. The next hole was a long, dogleg right par 5, water right, ob left. Drove my tee shot ob and hit a guy in his back yard. He couldn't have been more forgiving, but I was rattled. Next shot was in the drink and it was a hackathon for the rest of the round.

    One of the holes has a bunker in the middle of the fairway, which I found, then hit an iron out into the middle of the fairway, and we all watched the ball take a 45 degree turn and roll 60 yards into a lake. Another hole I had 130 to the middle with the flag in front. I took a little off my 130 club, then watched the ball fly the green and the hill behind it and end up in the street.

    Sometimes you just have to laugh huh? It sounds like you took a little something off of your 150 club! I laughed a little bit harder than I should have at the fairway bunker shot. The way it is written it sounds like it almost gained momentum the more it was along the ground!

    Laughing now, but that was a tough day. The ball out of the bunker grew legs and headed for the lake like it was late for a meeting. It was unreal how many hazards I found, and I put the ball in the street twice. Hopefully I used up most of my allotment of bad shots for the year that round.

  • ShakesterShakester Members Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm a pretty consistent player. Not good mind you. Just consistent, but am prone to one of those rounds that has me wanting to quit. Its usually followed up with a great round that reminds me of why I love the game, so it balances out.

    Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood 18
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file