Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Ever just have an unusually bad day at the course?

124»

Comments

• zer0zer0 Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Birdie Mac said:

@zer0 said:
    A bad day??? LOL, I've had entire seasons that were awful. Over the past 4 years I've had multiple stretches of 2-3 straight months where I would shank over half of my shots. The other half were scared fat shots trying to avoid shanks. Last year I even lost to my wife 108-107 one day and she just started playing a few years ago.

Fast forward a year and i have apparently turned it all around (knock on wood) thanks to a life changing lesson in June. Played the same course I shot 108 exactly one year later and shot a 74.

Ok, zer0, you can't come on this board and elude to a holy grail lesson and not give us a peek under the hood. What about this lesson?

It was such a simple fix. My whole life I've rolled my wrists on the takeaway. That led to me having a hard time getting the club square on impact and often times leading with the hosel which led to my many bouts with the shanks. Pro had me try and close the club face on takeaway and as a result now I am coming through square on impact. No more shanks and I'm hitting the best iron shots of my life. And as I'm getting more and more comfortable with the swing I've been able to start to figure out how to even bring the club back square from the start.

It's still a process though. Shot another 74 over the weekend and then in 9 hole golf league a few days later I shot a 52. But, no shanks. Just couldn't connect to the ground and had a ton of thin shots.

• hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. It's amazing how sometimes is like you're beginning golfer. 14 hc and shooting over 100 is very humbling.

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

no...never.... :#

I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say I have.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • tdennietdennie Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

One year I qualified for the company golf tournament and shot ok, mid to high 80's. A few weeks later I played with some people from work and probably shot over 100

• JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Not played for a few weeks as work for me is mega busy in school holidays, so not played since mid July until last Friday. Absolutely shocking round, had got into regular late 70s beforehand, on Friday I couldn’t actually hit a ball properly, not even with my wedges. Lost about 10 balls, stopped scoring after 8 holes, duffed shots all over the place (which I never do) and sliced the **** out of my driver on a few holes too. Playing tmw so hopefully won’t be quite so poor.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Cleveland RTX4 54 MID
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3, Studio Stock #28 Slotback, Studio Stock #38 & BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
    Piretti Forza & Matera Elite
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,626 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 1, 2019 8:22pm #98

More than a bad day, going on a month more like it. Shot 39 on the front and that was that, all in the high 40's from then on. Just mentally exhausted for some reason. I still hit great shots, but just not consistent. My driving saves my bacon.

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    Cobra F8 12*
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790's this week, next week?
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX

@Joelsim said:
    Yes. Not played for a few weeks as work for me is mega busy in school holidays, so not played since mid July until last Friday. Absolutely shocking round, had got into regular late 70s beforehand, on Friday I couldn’t actually hit a ball properly, not even with my wedges. Lost about 10 balls, stopped scoring after 8 holes, duffed shots all over the place (which I never do) and sliced the **** out of my driver on a few holes too. Playing tmw so hopefully won’t be quite so poor.

You know what they say, bad day on the course is still better than a good day at work.

Ping G400 9°
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,626 ClubWRX

@lawsonman said:

@Joelsim said:

You know what they say, bad day on the course is still better than a good day at work.

If I'm playing well?

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    Cobra F8 12*
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790's this week, next week?
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@platgof said:

@lawsonman said:

@Joelsim said:

If I'm playing well?

After 45 consecutive 5:30am starts in July and August, I can attest to a bad day on the course being far better than any day at work.

15 over today, irons all over the place, which is usually my strength, but still much better than working.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Cleveland RTX4 54 MID
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3, Studio Stock #28 Slotback, Studio Stock #38 & BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
    Piretti Forza & Matera Elite

@platgof said:

@lawsonman said:

@Joelsim said:

If I'm playing well?

Nope, anytime.

Ping G400 9°
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • jak77jak77 Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

Yes. Round on Saturday started awesomely....then descended into horror. Something happened on the 5th and my swing went to crap for the rest of the day.

• mattmatt300mattmatt300 Members Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I’m only a couple months back into golf after 10 years of not playing. Only have time for 9 holes a couple times a week currently. Last week I shot 42 on Tuesday and 57 on Thursday. That was a rough day. :#

• wickwosswickwoss Members Posts: 36 ✭✭

As a roughly 14 hdcp a month and a half or so ago, I shot 77 and 97 in the same week. Talk about humbling.

Gone as low as 83 since, and as high as 104. Inconsistency is the only thing I can count on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file