What do you want to see in the next Ping i series iron?

ForeleftForeleft Members Posts: 2,127 ✭✭

Hard to believe that threads are popping up already about the i210 replacement.
Personally, I would like to see the shape of iE1's in a clean cavity package. I found them to be very easy to align and liked the shape of the head, but not the cavity ornamentation.

Comments

• buntabunta Members Posts: 636 ✭✭

Forget the i series. i want the S series with a clean cavity. No more elastomer.

Matter of fact, take the s55, take out the elastomer, make it one piece forged, or multi material, i dont give a sh*t. i just want a clean cavity s55.

TS3 9.5
    G25 3W
    J15 CB 4-PW
    SM7 50/54/58

• CDLgolfCDLgolf Members Posts: 846 ✭✭

@Foreleft said:
    Personally, I would like to see the shape of iE1's in a clean cavity package. I found them to be very easy to align and liked the shape of the head, but not the cavity ornamentation.

I would love to see an updated ie1. Seems like the perfect mid size iron to me. I like the size, progressive offset and the feel of the irons. For me, perfect combo of what I look for in an iron.

Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Gorge 56 & 60
    Odyssey
  • jmccaffjmccaff Members Posts: 381 ✭✭

......ie2

TITLEIST 910D2
    TAYLOR MADE RBZ 19* 21*
    PING i e1
    TITLEIST SM6
    PING SCOTTSDALE TR
  • WesquireWesquire Members Posts: 731 ✭✭

I'd like the aesthetic to be more like the i200 than the i210 and for them to reduce the offset in the long irons.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5° (Mitsubishi CK Pro Orange 70 TX Tipped 1")
    3 Wood - Ping G 14.5° (PX HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5 Tipped 1.5")
    2 Crossover - Ping G410 17° (PX HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5)
    4-W - Ping i200 (PX 6.5)
    Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50°/55°/60° (PX 6.5)
    Putter - Directed Force
    Ball - Snell MTB-X
  • 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,205 ✭✭

@Wesquire said:
    I'd like the aesthetic to be more like the i200 than the i210 and for them to reduce the offset in the long irons.

Sounds perfect. I200 with less offset in 3-6i

• collje26collje26 Members Posts: 568 ✭✭

For the love of god make it a stealth finish. The glide 2.0’s wear tremendously well.

Ping G400 Max 9 Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Blue 80tx
    Ping G 17.5 Rombax P95x
    Callaway Apex Pro Smoke 3 DG TI S400
    Callaway Apex MB Raw 4-P PX 6.5
    Callaway MD Forged 54/60 PX 6.5
    Toulon Austin
    ProV1/ProV1x
  • Indygolfer85Indygolfer85 Members Posts: 253 ✭✭

@collje26 said:
    For the love of god make it a stealth finish. The glide 2.0’s wear tremendously well.

Bingo, give me the iblade or i210 in stealth.

Callaway Rogue SZ 9* 
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3w
    TEE XCG6 3h
    Ping i210 4-P 
    Callaway MD4 50*
    Callaway MD Forged 55*
    Callaway PM 60*
    Toulon Atlanta
    Srixon Z-Star XV
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,940 ✭✭
    edited Jul 9, 2019 3:39pm #9

@bunta said:
    Forget the i series. i want the S series with a clean cavity. No more elastomer.

Matter of fact, take the s55, take out the elastomer, make it one piece forged, or multi material, i dont give a sh*t. i just want a clean cavity s55.

... So you want a fractionally bigger blueprint?

Edit: saw you said you wanted a cavity. My bad.

Post edited by PowderedToastMan on
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • ForeleftForeleft Members Posts: 2,127 ✭✭

@PowderedToastMan said:

@bunta said:

BP has no cavity - would put it close to i500.

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,302 ✭✭

I like a Stealth option. Forged face inserts? More than likely they will trend to higher launch lower spin.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • Rpete33Rpete33 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭

When are these projected roughly to be released? I was thinking about picking up a set of the i210s but if something is going to be released in the fall I will hold off, I personally love the looks of the i210. If they brought out a stealth version with less over offset I would be all over them

• PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,940 ✭✭

@Foreleft said:

@PowderedToastMan said:

@bunta said:

Missed the part where you said you wanted a cavity, my bad. That being said, so much of that great PING feel comes from the CTP. You get rid of that and it feels and sounds harder.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • buntabunta Members Posts: 636 ✭✭

@PowderedToastMan said:

@PowderedToastMan said:

@bunta said:

Missed the part where you said you wanted a cavity, my bad. That being said, so much of that great PING feel comes from the CTP. You get rid of that and it feels and sounds harder.

thats true, ive now played 3 sets with CTP and frankly, i just dont want it anymore esp after getting a taste of forged irons. i do miss my (s55 sitting in the golf closet) Pings., but i feel the CTP had long overstayed its welcome in a way. It just ruins a club's appearance. I personally think they have smart enough people there in arizona that can give us a forged s55 with plenty of perimeter weighting, tungsten toe etc with plenty of forgiveness that'll blow everything else out of the water as far as players cavity back irons category go. Say for instance the J15cb, j40cb, the 714cb/715/718, the z745/65/85, all of them forged with a decent amount of help when you need it. So it can be done.

TS3 9.5
    G25 3W
    J15 CB 4-PW
    SM7 50/54/58

• MisterMittensMisterMittens KCMOMembers Posts: 11 ✭✭

The i210 is the best set of irons I've ever played or owned. Only thing that would kick them out at this point is a stealth version.

Also surprised to see that some people prefer the i200 to the i210. I owned the i200 as well, but the i210 is better looking and feeling in every way IMO.

• ForeleftForeleft Members Posts: 2,127 ✭✭

Surprised so many pine for a stealth version.
    I’m ok with stealth in wedges, but not crazy about them in my irons.

• thigosthigos El Paso, TXClubWRX Posts: 147 ClubWRX

Is the fall release date realistic/confirmed? Seems the i210 just came out.

G400 Max 9* - Hzrdus Red H.C. 6.0
    M4 3HL 16.5 - Tour AD-IZ - 7s
    i500 - (retro 4-U) - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno S18 - 54 & 58
    Vokey SM6 - 62* M
    StrokeLab Double Wide Flow Neck - 35"
    PV1x
    Current index - 7.0

Sounds to me like most are describing a new iblade and not a new ie1.

Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Gorge 56 & 60
    Odyssey
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 772 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2019 2:10am #19

@CDLgolf said:

Agreed. The iBlade is the perfect iron for me. I'd like to see them slim down the 6-UW on the new i series even more so it plays more as a combo set. I loved my i200 but the 6 iron was ugly to me and I didn't like the paddle length on the long irons. Cleaner look like iBlade which is the best looking Ping iron ever aside from the Blueprint.

Also the CTP is amazing tech and they should never ditch it. It's ingenious for swingweighting and sound control. IMO the iBlade feels just as good as every other multi material forging on the market. It doesn't feel as good as a GF forged Mizuno one piece (and other one piece forgings) but AP2 etc every day of the week.

Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° & 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Ping iBlade 4-9 DGS300
    Vokey SM6 46F
    SM7 50F 54S 
    OG PM Grind 58
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2019 2:33am #20

I’m still hypnotized by the Blueprint, like holy xxxx. I’m looking at the two iron. I cannnot compare a more true launch characteristic iron on paper and still looks like a handsome rebel?

Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Ping Redwood
  • asumnerdawgasumnerdawg Members Posts: 373 ✭✭

No ferrule. Shelf the terrible hydro pearl finish. Stop getting smaller. It’s a midsize iron. The iblade is a players iron and blueprint a blade. No elastomer. More perimeter weighting like the older i-series, especially the tungsten in the toe.

Gamer/Backup
    Driver: Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv
    3wd: TEE CB Pro 14.5 Speeder 757 stiff; Callaway XHot 3w
    5wd: Cobra F6 Baffler set at 17.5; Titleist 917 2H
    3H- Ping G with Evenflow Blue 85 6.0; N/A
    4 iron: G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
    5-PW: Ping i15 green dot AWT stiff; i200 w/ CFS stiff 3-PW
    52/12 F: Vokey sm7 2 up; Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 52
    58/12 D: Vokey sm7 2 up; Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 58
    Putter: Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 X
  • swing33swing33 Members Posts: 119 ✭✭

Put me in the camp of an updated ie1. Considering sending mine back to the factory over the winter to get them refinished - another good thing about the ie1 is that PING can refinish them :)

• matchavezmatchavez Members Posts: 4,245 ✭✭

If I were interested in i225s, I'd be looking for:

• 8620 Steel
    • Stealth QPQ
    • Getting the toe screw and ferrule weight system
    • numbers back on the face
    • long irons that actually get airborne, especially the 4. (i200 bias there)
    • stock black shafts like the ProjectX / LZ

And if you want to get really radical, I think it would be really cool to have a base of 4 screw ports along the back of the main impact area, with two screws in it. Place them on the inner two for feel, outer two for balance, etc. etc. Similar to some of the PXG stuff, but looks more like a Callaway wedge with the four "ports".

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• Mtngolfer1Mtngolfer1 Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,696 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2019 4:56am #24

@Foreleft said:

I am in this camp as well. I love the ie1. I have passed on the i200 and i210 due to lack of real performance improvement for me. The ie1 just fits my eye and performs well for me making it difficult to replace. I do feel the last two releases of I irons have been a pretty big departure from the ie1. I would like to see see Ping go back to the ie1 approach for the next i .

• NSCohen17NSCohen17 Classic Scotty Long Island, NYMembers Posts: 745 ✭✭

The only thing I would want from the new i series would be a steep discount on a nos set of i210s to replace my now long in the tooth S56. 😁

Titleist 910D2 Rombax X-type 60-S, D1 setting
    Titleist 910F2 15, Rombax X-type 70-S, C1 setting
    Titleist 910H 19, Rombax 8D07 S, C1 setting
    ’99 Hogan Apex 3-E, Apex 4 
    Vokey SM6 52 Black ‘raw’
    Vokey SM5 58 Black ‘raw’
    Scotty Coronado Two, 34”, Lamkin deep etched
    Titleist 4 bag

• kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 370 ✭✭

there isn't much i'd change about the i210 other than maybe it being forged. Best feeling cast club i've played, but you cannot replicate forged.

Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, AD Di 6s
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
    4-UW - Ping i210 DG 120 S300
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D 
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • mooseman76mooseman76 Members Posts: 875 ✭✭

I’ll be the first to say it. I want a re-release of the eye 2 irons. I live my i210’s but there is just something about the simple looks of the eye2 with no ferrule, rugged finish, no ctp...

• stormbringerstormbringer Stormbringer UtahMembers Posts: 71 ✭✭

I would like to see a return to the old tumbled finish. Keep the CTP, remove the ferrule, keep the loft's where they are and the bounce up.

Driver  G410 Plus 9 Project X Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    3 Wood  Rapture 13.5 Ping TFC 949 Stiff
    5 Wood Cleveland Mashie 18 Miyazaki C Kua Stiff
    Hybrid  Karsten 4 Hybrid Ping KS 401 Stiff
    Irons  G400 Black Dot 4-PW Ping AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges  RTX-3 CB 52/10 TTDG Wedge, RTX-3 CB 58/09 Rotex
    Bobby Grace A** Kicker Putter 37" SS Plus XL Counter Balanced
    Ball  Titleist PV1
  • Frisco KidFrisco Kid Members Posts: 178 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2019 6:02pm #29

Agree on the tumbled finish, if not I’d like to see a one piece forging and less offset.

Post edited by Frisco Kid on
    Ping G30 Driver Tour 65 R
    Ping G30 3 Metal TFC419 R
    Ping G30 5 Metal TFC419 R
    Ping I200 4-P Modus 105 R
    Ping Glide 2.0 50SS, 54SS, 58SS CFS
    Ping G Sigma Tyne Putter
    Ping DLX Cart Bag
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Members Posts: 1,967 ✭✭

BringBackTheAnser

Forged, tumble finish (at least on the original I believe), midsized cavity with minimal offset, great flight and feel. I am with you on the 8620 steel, stealth I could take but not overly concerned with. I have hit Glide vs. Stealth back to back and there is definitely a more positive feel aspect to the 8620.

Cobra F9 7.5* - Accra TZP 455 (TZ5 55 Prototype)
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5* - Diamana Thump 75F
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18* - Diamana Thump 85F
    Mizuno CLK 21* - Fujikura Evolution HB 75
    New Level 1031 Black 5-PW - Dynamic Gold 105 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50/SS, 54/ES, 58/ES - Dynamic Gold 105 Black Onyx
    Bettinardi BB0 "Gotta Sting" Prototype 1 of 1 - Stability
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Limited Edition Newport 

@balls_deep said:

@CDLgolf said:

Agreed. The iBlade is the perfect iron for me. I'd like to see them slim down the 6-UW on the new i series even more so it plays more as a combo set. I loved my i200 but the 6 iron was ugly to me and I didn't like the paddle length on the long irons. Cleaner look like iBlade which is the best looking Ping iron ever aside from the Blueprint.

Also the CTP is amazing tech and they should never ditch it. It's ingenious for swingweighting and sound control. IMO the iBlade feels just as good as every other multi material forging on the market. It doesn't feel as good as a GF forged Mizuno one piece (and other one piece forgings) but AP2 etc every day of the week.

I'm the exact opposite. I like the ie1 because of its "midsize" . In my mind it's mid way between the G and S series. I feel the i series has started to lean more towards a S series than the G series. I liked the progressive blade length and offset.
    With so many models out now maybe they are going to phase out the iblade and or S series and go from blueprint to i series to G series.

Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Gorge 56 & 60
    Odyssey