Back to Wilson 50 Elite

mvhoffman

Well after playing the TF Gamer for the past year, I ordered 4 dozen of the Wilson 50 Elite. I found one of my old orange ones in my bag and remembered how much I liked the ball. 4 dozen yellow from Target will be here Wed. The TF Gamer is a great ball, just missed the muted feel/sound of the Elite.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

> @"Song Dog" said:

> I wonder what the difference is between the prior model and the new model, if there is any. The 50 is a very good ball imo

Honestly, I don't know if I am getting the previous model or the new model. I loved the previous model and am hoping that is what i'm getting. I was holding out for a good deal on some matte balls, but couldn't look away from this one. I'll let you know if they are new or old and if I notice any difference. They will be here tomorrow so I am going to hit up the practice area tomorrow night for some chipping and putting.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

Yes I believe I started that thread. Used to be my favorite ball and such an incredible value. Haven’t played one in over a year tho.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

> @Tanner25 said:

> Keep us posted. There used to be epic threads here on the 50 Elite and now it died out. I used to think their colored balls did not feel as good as their white balls. Curious if they closed the gap on the new ones.

Honestly Tanner, I don't think that I ever used a white 50. Yellow, Orange and Pink. I had a bunch of Orange for a while and just ordered 4 dozen yellow. I liked the pink, but for some reason here in the Pocono region the pink would blend in too much. I lost them quick.

> @Minarets said:

> Yes I believe I started that thread. Used to be my favorite ball and such an incredible value. Haven’t played one in over a year tho.

You definitely started one of those EPIC threads. The thread was the reason that I tried the 50. I'm actually really looking forward to going back to it. I'm going to give my 2 left over dozen of TF gamers to my brother

yes, same, i almost forgot how much i liked that ball. i hated the yellow. it was a duller, muted yellow which i do not care for. the orange and pink were standouts tho. much brighter. in Tennessee, the fall can be hard to find any white or yellow ball, but the orange and pink were easy to see.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

The Fifty Elite is a terrific ball, especially given the price. I agree though, the yellow color could be changed, however.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

Well they came today. They are last years model. Highlighter yellow !!!

> @Tanner25 said:

> Is that good or bad? Was hoping to hear more about the new ones. At that price, you can't get hurt.

I don't mind the highlighter yellow at all. I am going to keep an eye out for some new ones too and see what they are all about. If you find them before I do, toss it up on here. I don't know if it's just my way of thinking, but it appears the Duo soft is going to take place eventually if the new launch doesn't take off. Just my 2 cents.

The fifty is one of my favorite balls. It hasn't made the bag for a wile, but that is only because I ran out and in between my next purchase My son gave me 6 dozen of the Bridgestone 330RX and I hade 4 dozen of the K-sig and 4 dozen of the K-sig 2 balls. So I have a stock pile of golf balls to work my way through. I may be one of the few guys on the forums that is letting the original K-sig sit on the shelf and gather dust and doesn't scan the Costco website for the next release...LOL For my game all these balls are playable and could make the bag on any given day. This thread got my interest up again and I will likely play the fifty during my next round. I have a dozen of the fifty left from my last purchase after running out and giving my daughter 2 dozen. For those interested the fifty is a decent choice for a Junior golfer. My daughter loves the feel of the fifty and choses it over the Titleist Tour Soft a ball she "had to have" and even the avx the ball "all her friends are now playing" and she has 3 dozen sitting on her shelf...SMH. I am a cheerleader for the fifty because it plays well the price point is only a bonus. My daughter has become a cheerleader as well again because of how it performs for her, she could care less about the price. On at least two occasions parents of other junior girls have asked me about the fifty because of her. Its a great ball worth giving a try if anyone is wondering.

> @mvhoffman said:

> > @Tanner25 said:

> > Is that good or bad? Was hoping to hear more about the new ones. At that price, you can't get hurt.

>

> I don't mind the highlighter yellow at all. I am going to keep an eye out for some new ones too and see what they are all about. If you find them before I do, toss it up on here. I don't know if it's just my way of thinking, but it appears the Duo soft is going to take place eventually if the new launch doesn't take off. Just my 2 cents.

>

>

I do like the Duo Soft Spin. Duo soft, not so much.

I played with them this morning after having a year and a half hiatus from them... long off the tee, soft off the irons, plenty of spin around the greens, mute off the putter. So nice to have them back in the bag for my nice +2 round today!

• Like 1

I tried the newest 50 elite Saturday and it was 10 yards shorter for me than the q star tour (qst). More importantly it launched much lower so it won't be in the bag this weekend. I will try the qst at elevation this weekend. It seems to fly a little higher than my e12 soft at that altitude. The qst's only issue is it seems more sensitive to wind. I will likely play both the e12 soft and the qst depending on conditions.

> @Tanner25 said:

> Keep us posted. There used to be epic threads here on the 50 Elite and now it died out. I used to think their colored balls did not feel as good as their white balls. Curious if they closed the gap on the new ones.

I been playing the 50 for probably 2 years now (mixed with a few duo optix). Don't know why but I thought the yellow never played as good as the white. Probably all in my head but at least now I know I'm not alone there.:smile:

Played again last night with the 50 Elite. 2nd round since going back to them... +5 - 76. I have to say, I forgot how these balls fly. They are bullets yet absolutely responsive. I personally am a very high spin player. I come down very hard on the ball and can usually spin back short to mid irons and never have a problem checking up the greenside shots. I hit a few "mishits" yesterday where the ball should not have had the spin it did, but stopped on a dime with a little release (1 foot maybe). For everyone who says these are only "spring/fall/winter balls" they now have become my all the time gamers again.

And on a side note... my new Cobra F8 Driver...wow. Honestly, +10-15 yards carry from the F7 (same shaft).

• Like 1

> @mvhoffman said:

> Played again last night with the 50 Elite. 2nd round since going back to them... +5 - 76. I have to say, I forgot how these balls fly. They are bullets yet absolutely responsive. I personally am a very high spin player. I come down very hard on the ball and can usually spin back short to mid irons and never have a problem checking up the greenside shots. I hit a few "mishits" yesterday where the ball should not have had the spin it did, but stopped on a dime with a little release (1 foot maybe). For everyone who says these are only "spring/fall/winter balls" they now have become my all the time gamers again.

>

> And on a side note... my new Cobra F8 Driver...wow. Honestly, +10-15 yards carry from the F7 (same shaft).

The f9 would make you shit your pants.

I took some time off this ball and switched to an e6 while I've been making some serious effort in changing my swing mechanics. I'm finally at the point where its starting to settle in as muscle memory and may switch back to this ball in the near future.

As I said above I was intrigued by this ball once again and took it our after a long lay off from play it. The weather was extremely warm well into the high 90's and I believe the ball's performance suffered due to it. It felt extremely soft in all phases of the game I just couldn't dial it in. My best rounds with this ball if my memory serves me well have been in cooler temps, I won't say that I have given up on the fifty, however it will be regulated to those rounds later in the fall or earlier in the spring. I told my daughter my thoughts and she defended the fifty telling me she hasn't noticed any difference from the spring until now. As long as she is happy, I am happy.....LOL

• 5 months later...