Booking tee time as a single

I golf only as a single due to my business and personal schedule. A couple years ago the city courses began allowing singles to book a tee time the day of golfing as long as we were paired with a 2/3. Public courses mostly do not allow this still. The problem is that in Vancouver Canada the game of golf needs to be shrunk immensely. Way too many people are golfing IMO

I was just wondering if this is common practice or just unusual to Vancouver? To be honest I was getting sick and tired of being treated like a second-class citizen as a single golfer. “Come on down and we will get you out” I’m an adult. I have work to do Karen. lol also, I know that you can see Exactly where there is space in the schedule at a moments glance. What is the thought process here? As a business, would it not make sense to allow someone to book that fourth spot in a threesome or do they think the threesome will magically become a foursome instead of most likely the twosome that it will be.

I had even started contemplating booking in as a pair just so I can get a teatime as a single. I don’t know why courses would not allow singles to book as many many groups have people just plain not show up. There is no penalty for not showing up to your group tee time but you are the devil if you think you’re going to book a tee time as a single

What are your local rules regarding booking tee times as a single?

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Public courses around me don’t allow singles to book a tee time either. I play early mornings so I usually don’t have any issues getting on but it sucks when you have to wait around to join up with a group. What really annoys me is that they will pair up a 3 and 2 some (ie 5 some group) but won’t allow a single to join up with a 4 some. I’m against 5 somes in general but if you are going to allow them, might as well let me join up with a 4 instead of making me sit around. Maybe I need to make friends

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Most course (esp. in Canada) that aren't resort destinations are going to have that kind of single policy. One of the main problems is that people are predictably, unreliable as to the number of people they bring. Often booking 2 and bring 3 or 4, or book 3 and bring 4, thinking it's no big deal. Meanwhile, you've booked someone else into that slot and now it's a big deal.

Courses that are resort courses, usually have a different setup and book singles and further in advance. When I travel and booking, I always phone and book, making sure they know that I'm a single player and prefer to play with a group. That way there are no misunderstandings.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Wow, that's bizarre.

Places around here won't let you book an open time as a single but if there is already a 2-some or 3-some there they all (that I am aware of) let you add yourself as a single.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Never been an issue around here. Weirdly, I rarely get paired with anyone as a single. If I play with my buddy we will often get paired with another twosome though.

I have gotten griped at at a course once when we were playing 36 and some of the guys who weren't regular golfers quit after 30 or so holes and just rode in the cart with the rest of us that were still playing. It looked like we had six or eight guys playing but in actuality it was only four. Oddly enough, the group that complained was a fivesome in front of us that we were right up against.

> @shanx said:

> Hmm, Golfnow allows you to book from 1 to 4 golfers, and often have "Hot Deals" for single golfers to join booked threesomes...

Not always. Its course specific. Hot deals are also pre-paid tee times by golfnow so it was always a foursome to start.

Currently live in the Chicago area and from what I've seen about 1/3 of the courses don't allow singles to book unless a twosome or threesome has also booked the time.

The public courses around here generally accept single bookings but the courses will routinely book multiple singles into the same time slot or add a single to an existing twosome or threesome. Been that way as long as I can remember, although I do recall running into a few exceptions over the years.

Most courses I'm familiar with have thankfully done away with the "just come on down and we'll get you out sometime" treatment of singles during primetime. The wide majority both where I live now and where I used to live will allow a single to book into any open time slot or at least allow it if a 2- or 3-some has already booked. On many of these courses, if I book as a single into an open foursome time at say 7:30am Saturday morning, there is pretty much a 100% chance that the other slots will get filled by the day of play, so the course is no worse off by letting singles do this.

There is one course near my home in Phoenix that doesn't let a single book anything ahead of time, even if a threesome is already in the slot. So, I never play the course despite liking the layout. They probably lose out on $1,500+ of revenue from me alone per year they would get if they just let me book into a threesome with the fourth slot open.

In the Chicagoland area, ~80% of the courses will allow a single to book online, either in any open 4-slot (5 stars), or as an add-on to an existing twosome or threesome (4 stars). A handful will give a single a tee time if you call the pro shop, but won't allow them to book online. A very small number won't give a tee time to a single at all. See: [https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19012972#Comment_19012972](https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19012972#Comment_19012972 "https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19012972#Comment_19012972")

Frankly, it's crazy that courses don't allow singles to book online. They'd rather lose 50% of the possible revenue by allowing a twosome to go out?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I'd say about half of the courses in Northern VA don't let me book as a single online however I can usually call and say I'm a single and tell them when I'd like to play. The worst I got was when I once booked for one person at a course and got to the very end and it said "Sorry this tee time only accepts twosomes or more" which annoyed me. I guess it just depends on the course.

> @mci711 said:

> I read this as "less people need to golf, so I can golf more as a single with less issues. Because me playing as a single is more important than public courses staying in business and making money." Join a private club.

You read a lot into that but totally missed the sarcasm. That’s a three-putt read @mci711

It sounds like most places are relatively similar to me, then. I was just frustrated with the “come on down and we will get you on” attitude. I get not allowing a single to take a fully open teatime but not allowing one to join an already booked group is silly. Not allowing a single at all is BANANAS.

Anyways,...got onto another course today and all is well with the world again.

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

must be area related. you can go out here by yourself if no one books into your time. i walk plenty rounds by my self. so peaceful. sometimes i catch up to a group, ask if they mind if i join , if not i’ll just play a few balls into the greens. not a fan of playing through. then that group becomes more focused on pushing forward then the game.

When I lived in Korea they would let a single book a tee time if they were willing to pay for 3 golfers. They also will not let you join up with a group of 3.

In Hawaii it seems the same culture is present. I hate going out and playing here as a single because invariably it means I'm playing as a single in a backed up course with a group of 4 in front and behind me.

> @act0fgod said:

> When I lived in Korea they would let a single book a tee time if they were willing to pay for 3 golfers. They also will not let you join up with a group of 3.

>

> In Hawaii it seems the same culture is present. I hate going out and playing here as a single because invariably it means I'm playing as a single in a backed up course with a group of 4 in front and behind me.

Japan is similar in that you pretty much aren't playing and paying as a single at most courses and I've never heard of any course in Japan putting people who don't know each other together. Golf at the majority of courses in Japan is not a play 18 holes straight affair. You play 9, have lunch and drinks with your playing partners and then play the other 9 after lunch. The only place I saw that let a single go out was at a golf resort hotel that foreigners frequented when the course was empty. Most courses are charging a lot more than what they charge for golf at courses in the US though and they don't need to fill their tee sheets so that plays into it.

marmaduk, I'm out in Fraser Valley and will go out from time to time as a single. My favoured courses show how many spots still available (2 or 1) and the ones that don't I just call them to get a feel for their policy.

I don't play in Vancouver ever so don't know of any places that make it easy for the single golfer.

Best Regards

You are not being treated as a second class citizen in golf reservation. You are, just a single.

Think of this way. Fro the golf course's point of view, You are trying to block a tee time for 4 with only one player. This will prevent the golf course to have a 4-some to take that time slot.

I do know that most if not all the golf courses will leave a few time slot for the walk on. I had been playing as a single walk-on for years and knows the best way is to call up the pro shop before hands to confirm the waiting time for a walk-on. They will tell you come on over and they'll get you out or, something like, so far everyone been showing up and there is a long waiting list already for the walk-on.

Asking to reserve a tee time for a single is like asking the restaurant to reserve a table for a single patron.

Face the fact that you'll be the walk-on as a single golfer. Call ahead.

> @wkuo3 said:

> You are not being treated as a second class citizen in golf reservation. You are, just a single.

> Think of this way. Fro the golf course's point of view, You are trying to block a tee time for 4 with only one player. This will prevent the golf course to have a 4-some to take that time slot.

>

Devil's Advocate position: If the course is typically busy enough during prime time, if a single books into an open foursome time, the other three slots will fill up with either three singles, or a twosome and one more single. If this isn't during prime time, then there will be plenty of other times available for a foursome, so why does it matter if a single books into the open time?

There are some courses in my area where in peak season on the weekends, literally every single spot in every foursome from opening to around noon is booked. These courses allow any number of players to book into an open time. The course is going to be getting 4 greens fees from the 9:42am tee time regardless of whether one foursome books, or four singles. It would be silly to restrict singles from booking in that situation. Most people today don't want to or can't spend hours sitting around the pro shop hoping that some group shows up 1 person short so they can get out. They want to know when they will be starting and roughly when they will be done. So these courses would end up with a lot of threesomes and twosomes going out, because who the heck wants to show up at a course during prime time and pray there is an opening unless it's Bethpage Black or something, when there are other courses who will allow a single to book?

> @Bonneville85308 said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > You are not being treated as a second class citizen in golf reservation. You are, just a single.

> > Think of this way. Fro the golf course's point of view, You are trying to block a tee time for 4 with only one player. This will prevent the golf course to have a 4-some to take that time slot.

> >

> Devil's Advocate position: If the course is typically busy enough during prime time, if a single books into an open foursome time, the other three slots will fill up with either three singles, or a twosome and one more single. If this isn't during prime time, then there will be plenty of other times available for a foursome, so why does it matter if a single books into the open time?

> There are some courses in my area where in peak season on the weekends, literally every single spot in every foursome from opening to around noon is booked. These courses allow any number of players to book into an open time. The course is going to be getting 4 greens fees from the 9:42am tee time regardless of whether one foursome books, or four singles. It would be silly to restrict singles from booking in that situation. Most people today don't want to or can't spend hours sitting around the pro shop hoping that some group shows up 1 person short so they can get out. They want to know when they will be starting and roughly when they will be done. So these courses would end up with a lot of threesomes and twosomes going out, because who the heck wants to show up at a course during prime time and pray there is an opening unless it's Bethpage Black or something, when there are other courses who will allow a single to book?

Certainly it can be viewed that way, but, the vacant or specially reserved tee time will be filled up with walk-on, single, double or more...... However, from a business stand point, it is just not feasible to give a whole tee time to a single and waiting for perhaps more singles or doubles to call in / sign in for the remainling spots.

Several of our local golf courses tried the single reservation for a season and revert it back to the minimum 2-some for making a reservation policy.

It's business sense, and believe me, if allowing single to reserve a tee time works, the golf xourses would have done it before you were born. Everyone is looking for an angle to improve their operational income before the season is over.

I understand why a course might not want to have a single book in an open 4-slot. Heck, I even avoid doing that the vast majority of the times on courses that allow it, as I don't want to risk being sent out as a single in a sea of foursomes. I'll do it if it's an afternoon round, and the teesheet looks fairly wide open.

However, I don't understand why they wouldn't want a single filling out a threesome, or joining a twosome. That's a lot of potential revenue left on the table. What I really don't understand is courses that will book a single on the phone, but not online. All the major booking engines can be configured to allow single to book any open slot, or allow a single to join a 2-some or 3-some.

I've been burned one too many times with the "come on out, and we'll get you on the course" policy. It's one thing if you live 5 minutes from the course, and there are other options in the area. I will no longer drive 45 minutes to some far suburban course just to find out that the next available slot is 3 hours out.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> I've been burned one too many times with the "come on out, and we'll get you on the course" policy. It's one thing if you live 5 minutes from the course, and there are other options in the area. I will no longer drive 45 minutes to some far suburban course just to find out that the next available slot is 3 hours out.

Yep.

I live in an area where there's no course I can play (i.e. none other than the big-money, old-money private club where I don't know any members) that's less than a 25-minute drive each way. And most are a few minutes farther away than that.

No way I'm going to make an hour round trip, plus get dressed and put on sunblock, etc just to get there and wait around for an hour or more hoping to get to play what will then turn out to be an abysmally slow round on a crowded course.

If I can't have a tee time slot reserved, I just pass.

• Like 1

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > I've been burned one too many times with the "come on out, and we'll get you on the course" policy. It's one thing if you live 5 minutes from the course, and there are other options in the area. I will no longer drive 45 minutes to some far suburban course just to find out that the next available slot is 3 hours out.

>

> Yep.

>

> I live in an area where there's no course I can play (i.e. none other than the big-money, old-money private club where I don't know any members) that's less than a 25-minute drive each way. And most are a few minutes farther away than that.

>

> No way I'm going to make an hour round trip, plus get dressed and put on sunblock, etc just to get there and wait around for an hour or more hoping to get to play what will then turn out to be an abysmally slow round on a crowded course.

>

> If I can't have a tee time slot reserved, I just pass.

If that was the only option, then I'd have no choice. However, 85% of the close to 200 public courses in Chicagoland will give a tee time to a single. We only have a handful of nice summer weekends. Why would I risk wasting my day waiting when I can book a round at one of the courses that doesn't treat me like Typhoid Mary?

• Like 1

> @Bonneville85308 said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > You are not being treated as a second class citizen in golf reservation. You are, just a single.

> > Think of this way. Fro the golf course's point of view, You are trying to block a tee time for 4 with only one player. This will prevent the golf course to have a 4-some to take that time slot.

> >

> Devil's Advocate position: If the course is typically busy enough during prime time, if a single books into an open foursome time, the other three slots will fill up with either three singles, or a twosome and one more single. If this isn't during prime time, then there will be plenty of other times available for a foursome, so why does it matter if a single books into the open time?

> There are some courses in my area where in peak season on the weekends, literally every single spot in every foursome from opening to around noon is booked. These courses allow any number of players to book into an open time. The course is going to be getting 4 greens fees from the 9:42am tee time regardless of whether one foursome books, or four singles. It would be silly to restrict singles from booking in that situation. Most people today don't want to or can't spend hours sitting around the pro shop hoping that some group shows up 1 person short so they can get out. They want to know when they will be starting and roughly when they will be done. So these courses would end up with a lot of threesomes and twosomes going out, because who the heck wants to show up at a course during prime time and pray there is an opening unless it's Bethpage Black or something, when there are other courses who will allow a single to book?

That's not a 'devils advocate' position, it's simply a poor position.

Extreme example, tee sheet booking opens up for the week on a busy course and the first 6 bookings starting at 7am Saturday go like this.

Which one is the course going to prefer? Which one is going to be easier to fill? As subsequent bookings, those 6 singles fit easily into the remaining slots in the second example. How are those foursomes in the second example going to fit into the slots in the first?

Again yes that's an extreme example, but it really is that simple.

X---

X---

X---

X---

X---

X---

XXXX

XX--

XXX- (Yeah r u b b i s h WRX word filter, this is 3 x's)

XX--

XXXX

XX--

And for the record, I go play as a Johnny Nomates single, as often as with my friends/golf buddies, and I have no prob with a course restricting single bookings to already partially occupied times.

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Honestly, if you were booking as a single on a weekend morning, and you saw an open 4-slot, and an adjacent 3-slot, would you really book as a single in the 4-slot? Are folks that paranoid about joining another single golfer on a busy weekend morning? I could possibly see a player wanting to play a practice solo round in the afternoon, but filling a bunch of open 4-slots seems odd.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Honestly, if you were booking as a single on a weekend morning, and you saw an open 4-slot, and an adjacent 3-slot, would you really book as a single in the 4-slot? Are folks that paranoid about joining another single golfer on a busy weekend morning? I could possibly see a player wanting to play a practice solo round in the afternoon, but filling a bunch of open 4-slots seems odd.

Of course not, but I don't buy the previous poster's contention that a popular course would magically fill it's teesheet with the same degree of ease if it was a free-for-all, vs restricting singles to already occupied slots, especially the impact on foursomes booking.

Like you I'm taking an already occupied slot, I have zero interest in getting stuck amongst groups as a single.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > Honestly, if you were booking as a single on a weekend morning, and you saw an open 4-slot, and an adjacent 3-slot, would you really book as a single in the 4-slot? Are folks that paranoid about joining another single golfer on a busy weekend morning? I could possibly see a player wanting to play a practice solo round in the afternoon, but filling a bunch of open 4-slots seems odd.

>

> Of course not, but I don't buy the previous poster's contention that a popular course would magically fill it's teesheet with the same degree of ease if it was a free-for-all, vs restricting singles to already occupied slots, especially the impact on foursomes booking.

> Like you I'm taking an already occupied slot, I have zero interest in getting stuck amongst groups as a single.

There are 76 public courses in Chicago that allow singles to book in any 4-slot. That ~35% of all courses. I have to imagine that if the policy caused significant issues for the courses, the number would be much, much lower. Yes, in theory it can be a problem, but I think the reality is much different.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > Honestly, if you were booking as a single on a weekend morning, and you saw an open 4-slot, and an adjacent 3-slot, would you really book as a single in the 4-slot? Are folks that paranoid about joining another single golfer on a busy weekend morning? I could possibly see a player wanting to play a practice solo round in the afternoon, but filling a bunch of open 4-slots seems odd.

> >

> > Of course not, but I don't buy the previous poster's contention that a popular course would magically fill it's teesheet with the same degree of ease if it was a free-for-all, vs restricting singles to already occupied slots, especially the impact on foursomes booking.

> > Like you I'm taking an already occupied slot, I have zero interest in getting stuck amongst groups as a single.

>

> There are 76 public courses in Chicago that allow singles to book in any 4-slot. That ~35% of all courses. I have to imagine that if the policy caused significant issues for the courses, the number would be much, much lower. Yes, in theory it can be a problem, but I think the reality is much different.

Fair Enough :-)

I guess different regions are... well, different also. In Texas I was surprised at the amount of folks who would take an open slot on their own and the number of 'play throughs' instead of joins you'd come across.

Whereas in the Bay Area and PNW, folks expect to pair up and largely proactively look to sort it out, while on deck or once on the course.

F.T.