Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

It's not just Nike losing its way.

smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down.Members Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had these young dudes mean mugging me when I unsubscribed from an adidas email I got from filling out a golf survey. Maybe the attitude represents that they are sad to see me unsubscribe but these folks don't look very sporty nor do their clothes.

Perhaps all of the "athletic" brands are moving towards just being clothing companies as people have a little less time for recreation and the new generation recreates differently.

Comments

• asloper6001asloper6001 slope Members Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2019 5:15pm #2

So you're not a junkie anymore. Congrats!
    All the big box brands don't really give a crap about golf, they just want the revenue from it.

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I got three kids. I'm a bargain rack at TJ Maxx guy. (Only reason I am at TJ Maxx is wife drug me there.)

• ctsgolfctsgolf Members Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

@smashdn said:
    I got three kids. I'm a bargain rack at TJ Maxx guy. (Only reason I am at TJ Maxx is wife drug me there.)

I own a few golf shirts from Marshall's, all purchased for less than $25. Adidas, UA, Nike, Bonobos are among the brands I own from Marshall's.

The rest I have purchased NWT from eBay over the years. I have never spent more than $25 on a golf shirt, I don't buy used clothing, and I have over 20 golf shirts all name brand.

Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Callaway MD Forged  Recoil 125 F4
    Miura  KM-006  

• leec4571leec4571 Members Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

I do all my golf clothing shopping a ROSS, TJ Maxx, and Marshalls. I just recently purchased 2 golf performance shirts from SAM'S club for $7.98 each. They feel just like UA, NIKE or ADIDAS.

• BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭

I call it adapting to a changing market. Yes, some styles are weird but so are the people who wear them. From the golf show this year Adidas' new line adicross is described as, "designed for wear-anywhere versatility. " So Adidas not only wants you to wear their clothing on the golf course but off it as well. They are trying to expand their market of consumers as are other companies.

Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-GW
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Scotty Cameron
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@smashdn said:

Perhaps all of the "athletic" brands are moving towards just being clothing companies as people have a little less time for recreation and the new generation recreates differently.

Just about every great outdoor brand has just turned into clothing companies. There was a time when LL Bean, Patagonia, Eddie Bauer, etc used to actually sell outdoor gear, tents, rock climbing gear, etc. Now their number one sellers are sweaters and PJs that say "Sassy" on the butt.

Looks like the same thing is happening to other companies as well.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

The last bit of hunting clothing I bought was from LL Bean. I wanted a waxed cotton, down vest with pockets high on the chest. They had one. Needed them high pockets to put my hands in while wearing waders.

BTW - I wear my golf clothes off the course. I just don't wear my off the course clothes to play golf if that makes sense. I mean a solid or tastefully patterned polo shirt and some slacks goes for just about any occasion save a funeral or black tie event and the opposite end of the spectrum; a demo derby or hot dog eating contest.

• lopey986lopey986 ClubWRX Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

At least Adidas keeps their traditional golf clothing line while introducing the Adicross stuff. If Nike had stuck with what they were doing the last couple of years but done some Golf x SB capsules and stuff they would have sold like crazy and the traditional people would still be buying a lot of stuff too.

• oregongolforegongolf Lefty Boomers Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

They all look like they JUUL.

• birdiebarragebirdiebarrage IG @smallssees D.C.Members Posts: 31 ✭✭

There are many good, boutique brands to choose from that focus on golf.

• Mtngolfer1Mtngolfer1 Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want to pin the blame solely on the clothing brand/manufactures. Those buying have some influence My older daughter was at a local junior event and a couple of young boys that she goes to school with who were also playing were with their parents. As the boys were walking away the father of one boy grabbed his son's belt loop and pulled his son's shorts up, the boy turned to him and shook his head as he was walking pulling his shorts back down. The father then said to the mother of the other boy that he hated the way the boys were wearing their shorts pulled down. Her response was that she thought it looked cute and the young girls seem to like the boy's look ....SMH The boy's father now visually frustrated asked my daughter do you think it's cute? Proud father moment followed... her response was No I think it looks uncomfortable, but I'm not paying attention to them I'm playing golf. Personally I don't like the look either, With 18 years in age separating my youngest from my oldest I see it across a wide spectrum. I'm not sure if it's the clothing manufactures or those buying the clothing. It's a case of the chicken or the egg.

• wldchld22wldchld22 Members Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll give adi credit where they seem to have three lines. Traditional, experimental and lifestyle. More and more I find myself wanting to support boutique brands that actually love the game.

• tmac7592tmac7592 Members Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mtngolfer1 said:
    I don't want to pin the blame solely on the clothing brand/manufactures. Those buying have some influence My older daughter was at a local junior event and a couple of young boys that she goes to school with who were also playing were with their parents. As the boys were walking away the father of one boy grabbed his son's belt loop and pulled his son's shorts up, the boy turned to him and shook his head as he was walking pulling his shorts back down. The father then said to the mother of the other boy that he hated the way the boys were wearing their shorts pulled down. Her response was that she thought it looked cute and the young girls seem to like the boy's look ....SMH The boy's father now visually frustrated asked my daughter do you think it's cute? Proud father moment followed... her response was No I think it looks uncomfortable, but I'm not paying attention to them I'm playing golf. Personally I don't like the look either, With 18 years in age separating my youngest from my oldest I see it across a wide spectrum. I'm not sure if it's the clothing manufactures or those buying the clothing. It's a case of the chicken or the egg.

Wearing your shorts down is very 15 years ago haha sky’s our thighs out

Nike Dymo 380 WB 83
    Nike Dymo low profile WB 83
    Titleist 712U 2 iron/ 585.h 19 v2 100
    Titleist 680 Satin 3-PW TTDG
    SM6 Copper 54,58 TTDG
    Scotty Cameron Centershaft Proto
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@oregongolf said:
    They all look like they JUUL.

Those kids don’t JUUL. They’re too woke to support the privilege of those who JUUL.

• DoubleorQuitsDoubleorQuits Members Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭

No real surprise on companies focusing on soft goods as the margins and sell through are way better than hard goods.

• OldboyOldboy Members Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

kids still sag their pants? i did that in the 90s. who says tradition is dead?

Tight rolling is back too I think.

• Jimmy MacJimmy Mac Members Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

They haven't lost their way, they simply move to the money.

As for the photo, if they we're simply standing with better postures and smiles they'd look pretty athletic. Star and stripes are popular every time the Ryder Cup rolls around, all-black is farily perennial, the tone-on-tone camo was pretty popular last year with Nike and Polo. Polka dots were all over hats earlier this year.

Odds are pretty good you'll see elements of what they're wearing influencing even traditional gear in a few months.

• golfheaven69golfheaven69 Members Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

@smashdn said:
    Tight rolling is back too I think.

And on the opposite end; so are JNCOs.

Titleist TS4 Driver 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 18°, 21°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 56°, 58°
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Titleist ProV1x

• Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

As others have said it's just a simple business move. If 65% of profits come from a demographic you're gonna cater to them more than any other.

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Ping G20 3 wood 15 * | Ping TFC 149F Stiff
    Ping G400 5 Wood 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW | Project X 6.5 Rifle
    Titleist SM6 50* / 56* / 62* | Stock
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

I can't see 65% of your golf profits being that demographic. 65% as a whole sure, I'll buy that.

I hope that is the fallacy they are following.

• Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 19, 2019 5:00pm #27

@smashdn said:
    I can't see 65% of your golf profits being that demographic. 65% as a whole sure, I'll buy that.

I hope that is the fallacy they are following.

I was just making up numbers for a purpose. Follow the money. Something has to be telling them to go that way.

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Ping G20 3 wood 15 * | Ping TFC 149F Stiff
    Ping G400 5 Wood 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW | Project X 6.5 Rifle
    Titleist SM6 50* / 56* / 62* | Stock
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, Adidas is way more than just a golf company. Golf probably only makes up 1/4 of their line? They have a major skateboarding line. Soccer, obviously. Streetwear/fashion. I don't see the purpose of this thread.

• Lancj1Lancj1 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recent golf shoes - footjoy an example - are just trainers.

• RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,224 ClubWRX

Someone should give those kids a sandwich.

Ping G410 Tensi Orange
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji