Forgiving blades/ players irons?

Lenny2Lenny2 Members Posts: 2
edited Jul 10, 2019 8:02pm in Equipment #1

Hi, I have been away from the game for about 10 years. In 2009 I was a 6 handicap but was in a really bad accident and never thought I’d play golf again . 10 years later I’m just about to start playing again I think? A couple years ago my bag was stolen out of the garage and I’ve always played blades and grew up and learned to play on Hogan blades and clubs that were stolen were Nike TW Blades. So I’ve been looking around and have hit a few sets of different clubs that are game improvement irons because my game is nonexistent. But growing up and learning playing hogan blades and playing Nike blades for many years I just cannot get past the look at address with all that offset and the size of the head . So I’m wondering if in the last 10 years with all the technology that has came into the sport if there might be a players iron that is actually pretty forgiving. The game improvement irons give you way too much area to hit the ball. I rented a set of Apex pro 19’ irons that were a combo set and went out and played in Vegas and shot a 85 so it’s not as bad as I thought it would be but My game is in no condition to play a set of true blades yet. I want to have fun playing and could care less about my handicap or scores but I need to look down and see something I am confident in . Thanks for your help

Comments

• NYCGolfNutNYCGolfNut Members Posts: 297 ✭✭

I kind of went through a similar experience, except it was work, family and young kids that resulted in a 10+ year break. And I feel exactly the same way about the game. Just want to play what I like and could not care less about my handicap or score (fwiw, I usually shoot mid-to-high 80s).

I say go and get a set of what suits your eye and wallet, and if its blades, then so be it. I’ve ended up collecting a bunch of sets - from Nike OG blades (the prettiest thing ever made!) to the VR Pro blades (just so pure), Miura BB, Mizzy 69s, PXG 0311Ts, etc. I play what I feel like, and the results are usually within 3-5 strokes of each other.

• NDGolfer13NDGolfer13 Members Posts: 1,273 ✭✭

@NYCGolfNut said:
    I kind of went through a similar experience, except it was work, family and young kids that resulted in a 10+ year break. And I feel exactly the same way about the game. Just want to play what I like and could not care less about my handicap or score (fwiw, I usually shoot mid-to-high 80s).

I say go and get a set of what suits your eye and wallet, and if its blades, then so be it. I’ve ended up collecting a bunch of sets - from Nike OG blades (the prettiest thing ever made!) to the VR Pro blades (just so pure), Miura BB, Mizzy 69s, PXG 0311Ts, etc. I play what I feel like, and the results are usually within 3-5 strokes of each other.

Good for you. I feel the same way. Doesn’t really matter if I shoot 70 or 90. I do this for fun not a living.

Hit em straight.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Tensei Pro Orange
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Lowest Setting Tour AD BB 70X
    Srixon F65 5 Wood
    Rogue 2H Proforce V2 (new one)
    Miura MC501/CB2008
    Miura 1957 Y 49
    James Patrick 54/58
    Cameron Newport Flowneck Rebar

FOR NOW...........
    All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......
  • 2Down2Down Members Posts: 166 ✭✭

Welcome back.
    If you can find a set of mizuno MP5 to try you might just end up with them in the bag.
    The channel back design is just as pretty as I’ve seen and adds just enough forgiveness.
    Doesn’t hurt to have the feel mizuno is famous for either.

Ping G400 Lst 11° HZRDUS 76, 2.9, 5.5
    Cobra F8+ 3-4 15°  Aldila NV 2KXV 75 Green w/Cobra smart grip
    Adams tour prototype 18° Mitsubishi
    Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana 
    Mizuno MP5 5-W KBS tour 120 S
    Mizuno T6 50°
    Mizuno T7 54°
    Callaway Mack daddy 4 60°
    Ping anser 4 is in rotation at the moment, tp mills is resting as are the Cleveland, 8813, tess, kushin, bullseye, and the ugliest putter I own the Octagon.  
    Srixon Zstar  ball. 

• JoeFrigoJoeFrigo Members Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited Jul 12, 2019 10:55am #5

@Lenny2 said:
    Hi, I have been away from the game for about 10 years. In 2009 I was a 6 handicap but was in a really bad accident and never thought I’d play golf again . 10 years later I’m just about to start playing again I think? A couple years ago my bag was stolen out of the garage and I’ve always played blades and grew up and learned to play on Hogan blades and clubs that were stolen were Nike TW Blades. So I’ve been looking around and have hit a few sets of different clubs that are game improvement irons because my game is nonexistent. But growing up and learning playing hogan blades and playing Nike blades for many years I just cannot get past the look at address with all that offset and the size of the head . So I’m wondering if in the last 10 years with all the technology that has came into the sport if there might be a players iron that is actually pretty forgiving. The game improvement irons give you way too much area to hit the ball. I rented a set of Apex pro 19’ irons that were a combo set and went out and played in Vegas and shot a 85 so it’s not as bad as I thought it would be but My game is in no condition to play a set of true blades yet. I want to have fun playing and could care less about my handicap or scores but I need to look down and see something I am confident in . Thanks for your help

For a blade the Srixon's are great clubs. the model from 2 years ago (z965's) they're quite forgiving for a blade. The 765 or this years 785s are great cavity backs

Currently I play a direct to consumer company called Sub70 and theyre the best irons ive played especially for the price. I would put them right up there with the mentioned Srixon Z965s I used to play.... They have a cavity back, muscle back, and muscle back + which are larger for more forgiveness. Brand new set will cost you under $700. The KBS Tour is the stock shaft and if you geta 4 - pw I think its only $560sih??

TM M5 9* Accra tz6 75m5....... Hogan GS53 10.5* UST Mamiya Lin-Q gunmetal
    TM Original One 13.5* GD AD IZ 7tx or TM M6 15* GD AD IZ 7tx
    TM M6 18* GD AD IZ 8tx............ Hogan GS53 16* UST Mamiya Lin-Q gunmetal
    TM Gapr HI 20* GD AD Hy 95x
    Sub 70 CB 4i - 6i PX 6.5
    Sub 70 MB 7i - Pw PX 6.5
    Cleveland RTX4 raw 52*, 58* DG S400
    Swag Suave One Raw Proto w/ BGT Stability shaft...... Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab

• bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 814 ✭✭

If you can find a set in decent shape, I'd highly recommend the Nike VR Pros. Maltby rate them on a similar "forgiveness" level as a set of Player's CB's, and I find I get remarkably decent results if I don't quite flush it. Most sets for sale now sadly are fairly battered, but if you can find a set, they are a wonderful set of irons. There was a reason Fleetwood was so keen to get another set when his wore out - and his current form suggests he should be looking for another one.

The Dee Three: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 65X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

• TherealpatgilesTherealpatgiles Members Posts: 354 ✭✭

You're in the market for a used set of Bridgestone j15cb. Try em, you'll love em.

Taylormade m5 9 ad gp 7x
    Epon af901 19 modus 120
    Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron
    Epon af 503 4-w modus 120s
    Epon tour 50 55 60 modus w
    Epon i33 rose gold putter
  • SebmourSebmour sebastiendamour.com Members Posts: 579 ✭✭

Go out and try the Cobra King Forged CB/MB. I just sold my Callaway Apex MB 2018 because the Cobra offer so much more forgiveness and the look is perfect. I hate offset. I love thin top line and I love the smaller heads and turf interaction.

www.sebastiendamour.com
    Titleist TS3 8.5* EVenflow T1100 6.5
    Titleist 816H2 21 degré Fujikura Tour spec 8.8 HB xstiff
    King Forged CB/MB 3-PW Nippon NS Pro Modus 120 x 
    Mizuno T7 wedge 52, 56, 60 
    Odyssey O works R line 
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,386 ✭✭

Mizuno MP5
    Apex MB ( not the current but older ones )

Those two are about as forgiving a blade you will find. Plus they feel great and perform great.

• Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,889 ✭✭

Maltby MMB
    Throwing Honma TW-X out there as well, even though it is not a blade, but carries the appearance much like the TM790.

Wyoming Cowboys
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,161 ✭✭
    edited Jul 12, 2019 3:19pm #11

Some of my suggestions to try out
    Callaway X Forged 2018 (currently playing )
    Callaway MB 2018 (currently playing )
    Mizuno MP5's
    Mizuno MP68's
    Srixon blades

And others, its your choice, there are others,but I have
    Time spent with these listed, clubs are personal, go try them all

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members Posts: 261 ✭✭

JPX 919 Tours
    Callaway Apex Pro
    TM p760s
    Titleist AP2s (most forgiving of these and popular with pros, but wait for T100's)

TaylorMade M5 8.5 deg - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange 70x
    Titleist TS3 14.25 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW - TT DG X7
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5
  • shanxshanx Members Posts: 791 ✭✭

MP15s - maybe not the super soft marshmallow feel off the face as the other MPs, but I am continually impressed how they cover my misses. I can't count how many times I hit one slightly thin and the ball still got to the target.

That said, I'm trying a set of MP5s this weekend!

• GraymulliganGraymulligan Members Posts: 2,375 ✭✭

@Sebmour said:
    Go out and try the Cobra King Forged CB/MB.

I'm surprised this isn't a more popular answer to this question. Super underrated clubs, and they'd still be in my bag if I hadn't found a killer deal on a set of King forged tours that just fit my eye a little better. The CB/MB set is so much more forgiving than it looks.

M5 w/Rogue
    Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
    RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
    PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
    MD3 50/54/58
    Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

• SebmourSebmour sebastiendamour.com Members Posts: 579 ✭✭

@Graymulligan said:

@Sebmour said:
    Go out and try the Cobra King Forged CB/MB.

I'm surprised this isn't a more popular answer to this question. Super underrated clubs, and they'd still be in my bag if I hadn't found a killer deal on a set of King forged tours that just fit my eye a little better. The CB/MB set is so much more forgiving than it looks.

Yer super duper underrated. I like it that way since they are not expensive either :smiley:

www.sebastiendamour.com
    Titleist TS3 8.5* EVenflow T1100 6.5
    Titleist 816H2 21 degré Fujikura Tour spec 8.8 HB xstiff
    King Forged CB/MB 3-PW Nippon NS Pro Modus 120 x 
    Mizuno T7 wedge 52, 56, 60 
    Odyssey O works R line 
  • gscott7gscott7 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

Wilson FG Tour V6. Great club, great feel, great reviews, fair price. Hard to complain about that.

• Chuck905Chuck905 Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭

MP18MB, those are gigantic that I couldn’t missed the sweet spot today after demo the ping Blueprint 4-PW

Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Ping Redwood
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,171 ✭✭

Where did you play in vegas that rents out Apex? I rent in vegas a few times a year and would love to try them.

I played the cobra forged cavity back. Great look at address and forgiving to degree. You'll know you missed the middle but still get a decent result.

One of the sets I rented in vegas were G400. Not at all what you're looking for. Even though I played with FG17 irons from the beginning until my kids were born, the g400 are in my bag and they're not leaving. When I played the blades, Ping i210 might meet your needs, also.

You after feel? Look at address? Look in the bag?

So, my three takeaways are: Cobra or i210, 85 after you thought you might never playnd again is terrific and keep an open mind. Lots of good clubs out there.

• jbrunkjbrunk Members Posts: 613 ✭✭
    edited Jul 14, 2019 1:27pm #19

I also recommend the 2018 Callaway X Forged, they’re nearly identical to the Apex Pro’s. Go to Callaway Preowned and look for a set in like new condition.

Srixon Z965s are another excellent suggestion. Check out Hurricane Golf for a great deal (seriously, it’s too good to pass up).

Sub 70 is a very intriguing company. I would love to hear more.

Cobra F9 1W Rogue MAX 65
    Cobra LTD 3W Rogue MAX 75
    Cobra F9 Tour 5W Rogue MAX 75
    Cobra F8 4Hy 22° Rogue Pro 75
    Callaway XF/MB 5i-PW Modus3 120
    Mizuno S18 52° 56° 60°
    Bettinardi iNOVAi 3.0 CS

• dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,258 ClubWRX

If you want an MB, some great suggestions on here. I would start with Srixons 945, 965, ZForged. Also the Mizuno MP5. All of those have a slightly larger footprint but are by no means large, just a little more clubhead than some other MB heads, a little more room for error. I have found little difference in playability between these and cavity backs.
    For more compact, I would start with Callaway Apex MB ‘18’s, and next would be the Cobras. Ben Hogan Ft Worth irons are compact and also playable with their excellent sole.

Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches