2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Indy Trip Report

MountainKing

Since our yearly trip up to Gull Lake Michigan was officially cancelled this year after 10 years for me (30+ for the group) a few of us decided to head down to the Nobelsville/Carmel, IN area and try to get in 72 holes between Tues/Wed.

First round was out at Purgatory, one of the guys in the group previously played it and raved about it. Great start to the trip, course overall was in great condition (more on this at the end) and nobody was out there so we were able to fly through. It's a course that doesn't have much forgiveness, but a lot of holes you can score on if you keep the ball in play. I managed to get it to -2 going into the 13th hole and my game just fell apart and I ended up with a 76, still very happy with that. I really enjoyed the two finishing holes. My one complaint was the bunkers, for a place that brags about how many bunkers they have, I don't understand how they could not have an ounce of sand in them. All they were was the limestone base and rocks, if you hit out of one you not only skulled the ball but you turned the place into a war zone of flying gravel that your group had to duck for. I said something to the pro there after he asked about what we thought, he blamed it on the weather but I told him it looks like they haven't had sand in a few years. With that, I'd love to go back again and play the course and bunkers as they are suppose to be.

In the afternoon we drove over to the Robert Trent Jones designed Prairie View, we were expecting big things on this one. The gentlemen in the proshop asked us about the morning round and he said this course will blow away what we just played and it's in superior condition. Neither were true, the greens were some of the worst I've played on all season, just recently punched, shaggy and bumpy. The course had a couple of decent holes but nothing super memorable or stand out. If I did have to go with one it would be 18 only because I hit two great shots and lipped out my eagle putt. A lot of holes took driver out of your hands and gave you only one way to play it, just felt oddly laid out. I've played a lot of RTJ courses and this was not one of his finest moments. Game held up with a 77, unfortunately the heat got to all 4 of us so this was a tough round to make it through. Not sure what the guy in the pro shop thought good conditions looked like, but this was a big let down.

This morning we hit the road back to Chicago and drove over to the Trophy Club for our morning round. When they told me $39 I told the guy we were playing 18 with a cart and he assured me that was the rate. This course was a gem and we'll probably drive back down this fall to play it again. If you put this course up in Chicago it would easily command $90 a round. Conditions were perfect and we were again the only guys out there so pace was no issue. This course offered a lot of risk/reward and multiple ways to play each hole. It was tough but yet very fair if you managed to keep things in play, green complexes were interesting. Tough picking a favorite hole here, every hole was interesting and offered something unique. This has to be one of the best deals in golf. My body unfortunately was not doing well after the 36, my back was in bad shape, made striking the ball tough but putting even tougher. I ended up with 7 3 putts on the round but still was able to scramble for a 81.

We had planned a stop at Kampen in Purdue as our second round but ended up just calling it after this, with two bad backs in the group and one who was having a tough time with the heat another round wouldn't have been very fun.. Kind of embarrassing that at 39/40 years old 3 of us couldn't get in 36 today. Quick trip, but a fun trip. I took pictures but I'm no photographer, you'd be better off searching around if you wanted to see what all the courses looked like.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Great assessment of the courses you played, I agree with everything you said. Trophy Club is a great track, usually in good shape, pace of play is typically not an issue and its tough to beat their rates. I hope you can hit Kampen on your next trip, it is worth playing.

TM M2 8.5* Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6X+
TM TP UDi #1 w/ Diamana
TM TP UDi #3, MC 4-7, MB 8-P w/ Tour V S+
TM TP EF Tour Issue 50* & 56*, 62*
TM Spider Mallet w/ Carbon insert
TM TPx

> @"Indy Golfer" said:

> Great assessment of the courses you played, I agree with everything you said. Trophy Club is a great track, usually in good shape, pace of play is typically not an issue and its tough to beat their rates. I hope you can hit Kampen on your next trip, it is worth playing.

We've played Kampen numerous times which made skipping an easier choice. We'll head there in the fall and hit all 36.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

'Nice review. Pity about the conditions at PV. I thought PV was better than TC. I found TC visually uninteresting, at least the front nine.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I have not played Purgatory, but have driven by it recently. As for your other courses, I would agree 100%. I really enjoyed Trophy Club and would go back if ever in Indy. But, Prairie View was similar to every course I can play in St Louis (where I live). Nothing special about it and not worth more than $40 or so, in my mind.

> @Argonne69 said:

> 'Nice review. Pity about the conditions at PV. I thought PV was better than TC. I found TC visually uninteresting, at least the front nine.

Interesting that we're reversed on these two almost identical. PV was already big expectations due to it being RTJ, the clubhouse guy added to that by telling us it was in great shape and would blow away Purgatory. If your greens were recently punched, it's not in great shape based on that alone. The back 9 there did have some nice scenic holes.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @Bubb said:

> Next time consider Bear Slide and The Fort.

The Fort was closed Wednesday or we would have went there over Trophy. Next year we're doing the trip again and will probably do Fort, Trophy, Brickyard and maybe a couple others if we extend it a day.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > 'Nice review. Pity about the conditions at PV. I thought PV was better than TC. I found TC visually uninteresting, at least the front nine.

>

> Interesting that we're reversed on these two almost identical. PV was already big expectations due to it being RTJ, the clubhouse guy added to that by telling us it was in great shape and would blow away Purgatory. If your greens were recently punched, it's not in great shape based on that alone. The back 9 there did have some nice scenic holes.

Yeah, not sure what the clubhouse guy was thinking. He should have been apologizing for the conditions, and offering you a discount.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @MountainKing said:

> > @Bubb said:

> > Next time consider Bear Slide and The Fort.

>

> The Fort was closed Wednesday or we would have went there over Trophy. Next year we're doing the trip again and will probably do Fort, Trophy, Brickyard and maybe a couple others if we extend it a day.

Consider heading over to Harrison Hills in Attica, IN on the way back if you haven't played it before. 'Not superb, but a solid layout.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > > @Bubb said:

> > > Next time consider Bear Slide and The Fort.

> >

> > The Fort was closed Wednesday or we would have went there over Trophy. Next year we're doing the trip again and will probably do Fort, Trophy, Brickyard and maybe a couple others if we extend it a day.

>

> Consider heading over to Harrison Hills in Attica, IN on the way back if you haven't played it before. 'Not superb, but a solid layout.

>

Hey guys! Headed that way this weekend. Playing Purgatory on Friday and The Fort on Saturday. Plan was to play Prairie View on Sunday. I’m guessing their greens would have time to heal by then? Any other suggestions? Bear Slide? Thanks

> @ExoticsGuy13 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > @Bubb said:

> > > > Next time consider Bear Slide and The Fort.

> > >

> > > The Fort was closed Wednesday or we would have went there over Trophy. Next year we're doing the trip again and will probably do Fort, Trophy, Brickyard and maybe a couple others if we extend it a day.

> >

> > Consider heading over to Harrison Hills in Attica, IN on the way back if you haven't played it before. 'Not superb, but a solid layout.

> >

> Hey guys! Headed that way this weekend. Playing Purgatory on Friday and The Fort on Saturday. Plan was to play Prairie View on Sunday. I’m guessing their greens would have time to heal by then? Any other suggestions? Bear Slide? Thanks

>

I would skip PV, they used the bigger punches but just in general the course was not in great shape. lots of area's around the greens were burnt out/missing grass, ect. The course itself wasn't that interesting either, RTJ just kind of phoned that one in. Beyond the condition, in the last 11 holes you end up with only one, maybe two depending on tees you play/length off the tee, that you can really use driver on without risking ending up in a hazard or running through the fairway. Not worth the $89 you'll get hit to play there on a weekend.

Depending where you're driving from, if you're coming from north hit up Trophy Club or Kampen on the Purdue campus on Sunday instead.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @ExoticsGuy13 said:

Headed that way this weekend. Playing Purgatory on Friday and The Fort on Saturday. Plan was to play Prairie View on Sunday. I’m guessing their greens would have time to heal by then? Any other suggestions? Bear Slide? Thanks

>

Bear Slide is in solid shape, played it twice in the last 3 days. Purgatory was good yesterday too. Both are firm but receptive, though Barry may change that as he passes through tomorrow. Note - if it rains a lot Bear Slide tends to stay wet longer than other courses.

Trophy Club, Brickyard Crossing, and Plum Creek are good options. Supposed to be **HOT** this weekend.

As for the rest of the conversation in the thread, PV gets the most play of the top-tier courses around here. They have 2-3 outings/tournaments a week in season, if not more, that will shut down the course for most/all of the day. So it can get beat up a bit. When it's available, it is a solid layout/test, but it can be slooooow. Been 4 groups deep on the 10th tee before, and 2 groups deep on the back pretty regularly.

• Like 1

> @MountainKing said:

> > @ExoticsGuy13 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > > @Bubb said:

> > > > > Next time consider Bear Slide and The Fort.

> > > >

> > > > The Fort was closed Wednesday or we would have went there over Trophy. Next year we're doing the trip again and will probably do Fort, Trophy, Brickyard and maybe a couple others if we extend it a day.

> > >

> > > Consider heading over to Harrison Hills in Attica, IN on the way back if you haven't played it before. 'Not superb, but a solid layout.

> > >

> > Hey guys! Headed that way this weekend. Playing Purgatory on Friday and The Fort on Saturday. Plan was to play Prairie View on Sunday. I’m guessing their greens would have time to heal by then? Any other suggestions? Bear Slide? Thanks

> >

>

> I would skip PV, they used the bigger punches but just in general the course was not in great shape. lots of area's around the greens were burnt out/missing grass, ect. The course itself wasn't that interesting either, RTJ just kind of phoned that one in. Beyond the condition, in the last 11 holes you end up with only one, maybe two depending on tees you play/length off the tee, that you can really use driver on without risking ending up in a hazard or running through the fairway. Not worth the $89 you'll get hit to play there on a weekend.

>

> Depending where you're driving from, if you're coming from north hit up Trophy Club or Kampen on the Purdue campus on Sunday instead.

>

>

Thanks for the advice. We’re coming from Central Illinois. Any thoughts on Bear Slide?

Harrison Hills is another Liddy project as he laid out the redesign, believe he also was the architect of record for the Fort while working for Dye. Coming from the South side of CHG we would often turn at the Trophy club and play back. Wildcat Creek towards Kokomo used to be a fun round although you don't hear much about it. The Rock is still a good diversion although it's hard to imagine the maintenance to keep it in near top form.

> @Bubb said:

> Next time consider Bear Slide and The Fort.

I played The Fort last summer and thought the layout was fantastic, hilly winding terrain. It was in B+ condition then. I would play it again if I find myself in the area in the future.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

well we survived the HOT weekend in Indyland! Purgatory was a nice track playing firm and fast everywhere except the greens. Slow greens seemed to be the theme for the weekend. We really enjoyed The Fort. Great golf course in great condition, everywhere but the greens. It would appear that no one fixes their ball marks at The Fort?? Last stop was Rock Hollow. By this time we were all pretty spent, but we still had fun. The golf course was in great shape, including the greens! Greens were in excellent condition, but again I thought they were slow :( . I would definitely play a lot of the holes differently a second time around. Overall we had a great time and look forward to going back, in cooler conditions.h5aridbrnehd.jpgoyfl579oclyy.jpg