College golfer in need of help

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right shoulder works too much down and not enough out to start downswing. You need to feel like either left shoulder stays down in transition or right shoulder works more out towards the ball. Will likely feel like you are coming way over the top. You get very under the plane right now so that's to be expected.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

> @Brandon1999 said:

> Lane,

> For the most part yes, consistency is the main issue.

>

Tough to say without a series of swings to judge the consistency issue, that swing looks pretty decent. do your inconsitent shots feel like they have any sort of pattern (for example, my misses typically are accompanied by catching the bottom groove, almost a top-ball). I have seen many people gain some consitency when they "covered" the ball a bit more. sergio garcia practices this forward leaning balance by placing golf balls under the heels of his shoes. getting more compact/over the ball at address really helped my consistency.

Also, what is your pre-shot routine?

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Most of the time my misses are thin shots, blocks, and hooks. My pre shot routine is two practice swings thinking about the shot I hit then I execute. > @extrastiff said:

> > @Brandon1999 said:

> > Lane,

> > For the most part yes, consistency is the main issue.

> >

>

> Tough to say without a series of swings to judge the consistency issue, that swing looks pretty decent. do your inconsitent shots feel like they have any sort of pattern (for example, my misses typically are accompanied by catching the bottom groove, almost a top-ball). I have seen many people gain some consitency when they "covered" the ball a bit more. sergio garcia practices this forward leaning balance by placing golf balls under the heels of his shoes. getting more compact/over the ball at address really helped my consistency.

>

> Also, what is your pre-shot routine?

Seems like you're struggling to stay in balance

Ping G400 LST 10.6* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* G Design AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* G Design AD DI 6x 

Ping G425 4h 23* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i - 7i & s55 8i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

> @Brandon1999 said:

> My goal is to make my game more consistent than what it is. Currently I’ll shoot under par one day and the next an 80. I can’t win tournaments because of the inconsistency but I know I have the potential.

I would agree with carnoustie that you seem off balance a bit. I would caution you to not get too crazy down the rabbit hole of overthinking what you need to do differently if you can shoot par.

Do what you need to stay down/over the ball, consistently. It can differ from person to person what move will work best. If you get a new problem of its not the shape you want, great. thats a fun fix. but stop thinning it. gonna be hard to make fixes if your hitting it all over the face.

Also, i recommend a preshot routine that includes checking distance from the ball, face angle, feet alignment, grip placement, etc. I have one thats about 10 steps, and i would really struggle to play under par without it.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

> @JAMH03 said:

> > @Brandon1999 said:

> > Never really had a lesson, basically self taught but now that I’m in college I need some help to take my game to the next level. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

> >

> >

>

> @Brandon1999 What does next level mean to you? What's your goal?

> @extrastiff said:

> > @Brandon1999 said:

> > My goal is to make my game more consistent than what it is. Currently I’ll shoot under par one day and the next an 80. I can’t win tournaments because of the inconsistency but I know I have the potential.

>

> I would agree with carnoustie that you seem off balance a bit. I would caution you to not get too crazy down the rabbit hole of overthinking what you need to do differently if you can shoot par.

>

> Do what you need to stay down/over the ball, consistently. It can differ from person to person what move will work best. If you get a new problem of its not the shape you want, great. thats a fun fix. but stop thinning it. gonna be hard to make fixes if your hitting it all over the face.

>

> Also, i recommend a preshot routine that includes checking distance from the ball, face angle, feet alignment, grip placement, etc. I have one thats about 10 steps, and i would really struggle to play under par without it.

Okay. I will definitely try to add more steps to my pre shot routine. I played again today and the problem was not with the contacts, it was mainly hooks. But thank you for the advice, I will be sure to use it.

> @Brandon1999 said:

> > @JAMH03 said:

> > > @Brandon1999 said:

> > > Never really had a lesson, basically self taught but now that I’m in college I need some help to take my game to the next level. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > @Brandon1999 What does next level mean to you? What's your goal?

>

> > @extrastiff said:

> > > @Brandon1999 said:

> > > My goal is to make my game more consistent than what it is. Currently I’ll shoot under par one day and the next an 80. I can’t win tournaments because of the inconsistency but I know I have the potential.

> >

> > I would agree with carnoustie that you seem off balance a bit. I would caution you to not get too crazy down the rabbit hole of overthinking what you need to do differently if you can shoot par.

> >

> > Do what you need to stay down/over the ball, consistently. It can differ from person to person what move will work best. If you get a new problem of its not the shape you want, great. thats a fun fix. but stop thinning it. gonna be hard to make fixes if your hitting it all over the face.

> >

> > Also, i recommend a preshot routine that includes checking distance from the ball, face angle, feet alignment, grip placement, etc. I have one thats about 10 steps, and i would really struggle to play under par without it.

>

> Okay. I will definitely try to add more steps to my pre shot routine. I played again today and the problem was not with the contacts, it was mainly hooks. But thank you for the advice, I will be sure to use it.

Sure! here is my routine. i figure typing it might help both of us, as i always rush and miss a step(when i hook, usually cause i had too much left hand to weak (more than two knuckles showing), which is the step of my routine i forget most often):

1.walk up to the ball from the angle i want the ball to travel when i hit it

2.i line up the face of the club behind the ball, feet together comfortablyfar away from the ball but still compact so i can stay down and balanced throughout the swing, adjusting my face of the club to be perpendicular to my intended target line

3. spread feet to my comfortable width, check that they are square to my target-line by hold my club shaft above them as a quick reference.

4. adjust the back foot forward/back depending on if i want a draw or fade

5. set the club back behind the ball, resetting to proper face angle, making sure the shaft lean is at the proper anger as well.

6. set my grip, left hand weak if i want a draw,strong for fade

7. final check for balance, making sure i feel compact and like im standing "over" the ball, not really on my toes, but similar to how sergio garcias "golf-ball under heels" feels. more weight on toes, but heels firmly pressing down too.

So i guess its seven steps. if i do all that, and then do a nice, full, relaxed swing, i can play pretty well.

@Brandon99

Here's my take You've got so much going for you already. You're playing, you've already got an advanced swing, you've got scores to base your decisions off of. You're working hard when other kids are partying. You are addressing your areas of weakness. You're going to make progress just being Brandon well done!

If you might consider my perspective I might add to the above.

1. You need a goal that is exciting to you!

This general I want to be more consistent is not likely to payoff. Can you think of a goal that's so exciting would make you jump out of bed on your day off?

If you could that would be something!

2. You'll probably want to apply these thoughts to what you come up with so you can really challenge yourself to put your talents on full display and get the maximum benefit for the time you put in.

Let us know what you come up with!

q2t3lb9j8utb.png

> @laneholt said:

> Brandon,

> All this pre shot routine stuff and goals ( blah, blah ) is nice window dressing and you may have the best stance,grip, ball position, etc; on the entire Planet, BUT your HANDS are the ONLY part of the Human connected to the butt end of that lever you hold in your hands. Our HAND control body movement and they control the face of that lever. AND — they are going to return to the centerline of you torso palms together if you do not train them otherwise. You have to train your dominant right HAND to perform a task that is TOTALLY FOREIGN AND UNNATURAL TO THE HUMAN GENETIC DESIGN.

> You MUST keep the palm of the right HAND facing upward / skyward during the DS. It is the job of the turning of the torso that squares the face , NOT THE HANDS!

> You can go off on a wild goose chase , but I have been right where you are and have been through the hooks and pulls and - the control of the HANDS is the key.

> Good luck,

>

> Lane

lol ok lane we get it. u love hands.

> @laneholt said:

> You had better love them also BC almost 1/2 of your brain Is dedicated to their use and they dictate terms to the body and THEY are the key / secret to the golf swing. They are the ONLY connection / link between the lever and the body and they control the face .

> Lane

>

I feel where you are coming from, and i like my hands. i just disagree that half the brain is solely dedicated to them (i know the homunculus brain theory suggests its a lot, but that is a contested thing, lots of people believe innervation is interconnected and inextricable, and i disagree they are the ONLY link). And i have never known neuroscience to be anything other than theory, based on research primarily based on trauma), and everything else is window dressing, etc etc, and I have managed to play under par from a long time and get a psych-neuroscience degree.

To each their own, all interesting perspectives for brandon to consider IMO.

> @laneholt said:

> Extra stiff,

> I am a dedicated student of the game and always eager to learn and your science degree would indicate you are an educated Man. Please tell me what part of the Human body controls the shaft / lever if NOT our hands ? Also- can you tell me what is the most important role of our hands ? Do you agree or disagree that the Human body will obey the movements of our hands?

> Thanks for your reply.

> Lane

>

>

thanks for asking! Sorry OP Brandon for the momentary thread hijack, hopefully you are getting something out of this.

I cannot tell you with any certainty, everything is theory. But i personally believe the majority of the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system is interdependent. The brain, the shoulders, the back, the legs (i even studied theories that brain matter exists in the extremities such as feet and toes). . . I believe there are complex neural pathways that run throughout the body, making each human potentially unique in the way they process. Therefore, i believe each golfer is unique in the way they control their hands. Dunno if that answers your first question adequately, best i can do :smile:

I have answers copied and pasted into word in case you want a lengthy response, but its all basically saying that everything is probably interdependent, and that i don't believe there is a way to isolate the hands from the entire system, and their importance varies from task to task. I respect that you may believe differently, since its all theory anyways. I personally have luck thinking about more than just the hands before i swing. YMMV

> @Brandon1999 said:

> The more I think about my issues, the more I think it’s just a scoring problem. I don’t have trouble hitting the ball. I can drive it 300+ and iron play is pretty good. I’m just not sure how to become a better scorer.

Your a big guy. get that balance right, with a full loose swing you will be hitting it a pretty long way like 320+. Not sure about the scoring thing that seems a little vague to me. Course management? Hooks are gone?

good luck man like i said u have a solid swing. cant say enough about the full, relaxed, proper setup. Find a pro, but a lot of them are bad so do your research. find a pro or semi that will walk the course with you.

> @laneholt said:

> Brandon,

> Since when trying to help you correct those hooks and become a good player is considered “ highhacking a thread ?” I suppose that is some childish person who is telling you to listen to ONLY him and no one else.

> I am a 80 year old very capable ball striker that has been through the hooks and pulls that ruined my chances of fulfilling my dreams years ago.

> All the stuff about setup, grip pressure, stance ball position , etc ; will not be worth a plug nickel in preparing you for what is going to happen in that 2/10 seconds fleeting amount of time during the DS. I suggest you keep my prior post for future use BC it maybe the ONLY chance you will ever have to correct the HOOKS.

> “Control of the HANDS within the golf swing is the key to mastering the golf swing.”

> Just trying to help and will not reply to those whose sole purpose is to put others down. Jus observe the Hans of the greats. Their are thousands of tour players with different grips, backswings , stances, ball position, etc; who won major championships. Their are millions of players with perfect grips, bs, stances, etc; who have never won the eight flight at their club.

> You must be aware of what your HANDS are preparing ( to genetic thingies that we must overcome ) to do at the very start of your DS or we are destined to failure. You me and everyone else who plays this great game. The key to a great swing is right on the ends of your arms. I would suggest you buy the book , “ The Hogan Manual of Human Performance “ by Gerry Hogan.

> Good luck,

> Lane

>

>

> ,

>

You are the one that called everyone elses tips "windowdressing," I apologize for responding and pointing out that we all get that you believe hands are the only thing that matters in a golf swing, it was not meant as a put-down. And no one is suggest what type of stance, grip, etc works best for brandon, or that my advice is the only advice worth listening to. I was suggesting he simply make those things repeatable, by working them into his setup. In fact i specifically suggested he go talk to a pro. And i consider talking about "the most important use of hands" not exactly what the OP was going for, which is why the hijack comment. Was not meant as an insult.

Not sure who is being childish or why, but your 80 and can hit the ball and love hands. Thats all good, i have nothing against that. Brandon has lots of useful stuff here even if u believe its only the hands that all the pro's focus on. If brandon wants articles/info on hands being the only important thing im sure he will ask for it, and if he wants articles on the best pros preaching the importance of setup and body rotation, as well as the importance of controlling your dominant hand, he also probably knows this thread is a resource.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/brooks-koepka-my-advice-to-make-your-second-shots-matter

> @laneholt said:

> Thanks for the Brooks Koepka attachment. One might notice his dominant right hand facing skyward at the top and during his DS which forces his right elbow into his right hip area where it becomes the pivot point of his golf swing. This hand movement keeps Koepka from hooks and pulls and it works well for anyone if you understand— GENETICS. Just trying to inject some different thought that you will never hear from other sources.

> Great to hear from you !!

>

> Lane

brooks states he has to time the hands with the body rotation to avoid hooks and pulls, as well as check his alignment. from my perspective, what he is suggesting includes more than just the hands, but I understand if from your perspective the hands are responsible for turning the body and creating proper foot alignment. All very interesting thoughts on genetics.

Good luck OP, look forward to seeing ur progress

• 1 month later...