Double Hit Rules Question - Chipping

theothertwo ·  
theothertwotheothertwo Members  2665WRX Points: 227Posts: 2,665 Titanium Tees

Sorry if this is a stupid question. It is my understanding that a wedge double hit has no more penalty under the new rules, this is the situation kind of like TC Chen where after you chip the ball, the club hits the ball a second time. What about at address and beginning of the chip, is there a penalty if you move the ball before you actually hit your shot. Picture a wedge slightly hitting the ball as you start your backswing. ???? Thanks.

Posted:

Honma TW 737 460 10.5* Driver

Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood

Srixon H45 22* Hybrid

Titleist 818H1 25* Hybrid

5-PW Honma TW 737V Irons

56* Honma TW-W Sand Wedge

50* Honma TW-W Gap Wedge

Miura KM 005 Putter

Comments

• Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members  4975WRX Points: 485Handicap: 3,8Posts: 4,975 Titanium Tees

Double hit is no penalty but moving (not just touching) the ball before a stroke is a one stroke penalty, two if you do not replace the ball.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25409WRX Points: 2,565Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,409 ClubWRX

On -, @theothertwo said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question. It is my understanding that a wedge double hit has no more penalty under the new rules, this is the situation kind of like TC Chen where after you chip the ball, the club hits the ball a second time. What about at address and beginning of the chip, is there a penalty if you move the ball before you actually hit your shot. Picture a wedge slightly hitting the ball as you start your backswing. ???? Thanks.

Did your ball actually move and end up in a different place or did you touch it and it returned to the same place?

Posted:
  • theothertwotheothertwo Members  2665WRX Points: 227Posts: 2,665 Titanium Tees

On -, @DavePelz4 said:

On -, @theothertwo said:

Did your ball actually move and end up in a different place or did you touch it and it returned to the same place?

The ball just wiggled, did not really move to a different spot....

Posted:

Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood

Srixon H45 22* Hybrid

5-PW Honma TW 737V Irons

50* Honma TW-W Gap Wedge

Miura KM 005 Putter

• AugsterAugster Members  4675WRX Points: 574Posts: 4,675 Titanium Tees

If it moved, that is changed position, then there is a penalty. You only need to replace on the spot if you can stop your swing.

If it only oscillated, rocked back and forth but ended up in the same spot, no penalty.

Moving a ball and hitting a ball are two separate actions. They aren’t covered in the double-hit rule.

Posted:
  • Colin LColin L Members  2449WRX Points: 400Handicap: 16.5Posts: 2,449 Platinum Tees

Erm, how can you hit a ball as you begin your backswing when it is in front of your club?

Posted:
  • theothertwotheothertwo Members  2665WRX Points: 227Posts: 2,665 Titanium Tees

On -, @Colin L said:

Erm, how can you hit a ball as you begin your backswing when it is in front of your club?

With the waggle, trigger kind of like a forward press when putting.

Posted:

Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood

Srixon H45 22* Hybrid

5-PW Honma TW 737V Irons

50* Honma TW-W Gap Wedge

Miura KM 005 Putter

Advertisement
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25409WRX Points: 2,565Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,409 ClubWRX

On -, @Augster said:

If it moved, that is changed position, then there is a penalty. You only need to replace on the spot if you can stop your swing.

If it only oscillated, rocked back and forth but ended up in the same spot, no penalty.

Moving a ball and hitting a ball are two separate actions. They aren’t covered in the double-hit rule.

The Augster is spot on here.

Posted:
  • Colin LColin L Members  2449WRX Points: 400Handicap: 16.5Posts: 2,449 Platinum Tees

On -, @theothertwo said:

On -, @Colin L said:

With the waggle, trigger kind of like a forward press when putting.

A forward press can't be part of your backswing, can it?
    (Ok, I'm not entirely serious.)

Posted:
  • hacker49hacker49 Members  587WRX Points: 134Posts: 587 Golden Tee

Unintentional contact is not a penalty as long as you replace it. Can't remember which pro it was but saw they hit the ball off the tee during their "waggle". They replaced the ball on the tee with no penalty.

Posted:
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees

On -, @hacker49 said:

Unintentional contact is not a penalty as long as you replace it. Can't remember which pro it was but saw they hit the ball off the tee during their "waggle". They replaced the ball on the tee with no penalty.

The teeing ground is different with different rules. There is not penalty in that situation, as the ball is not "in play" until the player makes a stroke at the ball. In fact the player can then re-tee in a different location, if he/she wishes.

Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • rogolfrogolf Members  4355WRX Points: 604Posts: 4,355 Titanium Tees

On -, @hacker49 said:

Not true. It's not a penalty in the teeing area or on the putting green, but it is a penalty everywhere else on the course, and the ball must be replaced at its original spot. See Rule 9.4

Posted:

Advertisement
  • DaveLeeNCDaveLeeNC Pinehurst, NCMembers  5837WRX Points: 521Posts: 5,837 Titanium Tees

FWIW, I don't think that it is correct/proper to think of the teeing ground as having special rules. If you dribble your ball off the tee, but not off the teeing ground, the ball is in play (just like it being in the fairway). The real issue is "did this happen when the ball was in play".

On the putting green - it is different there.

dave

Posted:
  • sui generissui generis Members  4458WRX Points: 785Posts: 4,458 Titanium Tees

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

FWIW, I don't think that it is correct/proper to think of the teeing ground as having special rules. If you dribble your ball off the tee, but not off the teeing ground, the ball is in play (just like it being in the fairway). The real issue is "did this happen when the ball was in play".

dave

Just nit picking a bit, Dave. There is no "teeing ground" any more. There is a "teeing area" and a ball there has more options in 2019. R6.1 & 6.2 tell the tale.

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • DaveLeeNCDaveLeeNC Pinehurst, NCMembers  5837WRX Points: 521Posts: 5,837 Titanium Tees

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

dave

Just nit picking a bit, Dave. There is no "teeing ground" any more. There is a "teeing area" and a ball there has more options in 2019. R6.1 & 6.2 tell the tale.

You are correct and I was pretty careless. There is no more teeing ground and I should have made clear that my comments only addressed the issue of unintentionally moving the ball. And actually since you can now move the ball from the teeing area (once it is in play), I guess I am not at all sure how that would work. Maybe accidently moving the ball in the teeing area (ball in play) is OK. I guess I really don't know what the rules are in the teeing area. Can I change balls in the middle of the hole??

dave

Posted:
  • antipantip Members  1168WRX Points: 382Posts: 1,168 Platinum Tees

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

dave

You are correct and I was pretty careless. There is no more teeing ground and I should have made clear that my comments only addressed the issue of unintentionally moving the ball. And actually since you can now move the ball from the teeing area (once it is in play), I guess I am not at all sure how that would work. Maybe accidently moving the ball in the teeing area (ball in play) is OK. I guess I really don't know what the rules are in the teeing area. Can I change balls in the middle of the hole??

dave

If your ball in play is back in the Teeing Area you can "play that ball or another ball from anywhere in the teeing area....." R6.2b(6) second bullet point.

Posted:
  • SawgrassSawgrass Members  15876WRX Points: 1,157Posts: 15,876 Titanium Tees

On -, @antip said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

dave

dave

If your ball in play is back in the Teeing Area you can "play that ball or another ball from anywhere in the teeing area....." R6.2b(6) second bullet point.

And what a joy that would be!

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Sawgrass said:

On -, @antip said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

dave

dave

And what a joy that would be!

Well I'd be holding a grudge against the original ball!

Posted:
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5337WRX Points: 540Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,337 Titanium Tees

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

dave

dave

Not to muddy the waters... under the old rules, I thought that once you had hit your first ball in the teeing ground - if you accidentally knocked your ball off the tee on a secondary ball (ie provisional) you then faced penalty for moving get ball. This came up in a rules seminar I was in. As it was super obscure I never looking into it, and just made sure to tee up my provisionals in a steady way.

Not sure if this is correct in the old rules or applies to the new rules.

Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members  4975WRX Points: 485Handicap: 3,8Posts: 4,975 Titanium Tees

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

FWIW, I don't think that it is correct/proper to think of the teeing ground as having special rules. If you dribble your ball off the tee, but not off the teeing ground, the ball is in play (just like it being in the fairway).

I wonder what you mean by that...

A ball on a tee is not in play until you make a stroke at it. If you dribble a ball of the tee before it is in play it does not matter where the ball ends up, it must be re-teed without penalty (or you may decide not to tee it but you are not allowed to play that ball if it is not in the teeing area). If you dribble a ball off the tee that is in play you get one stroke penalty and may replace the ball or play as it lies if it is still in the teeing area. If not you must place the ball somewhere within the teeing area.

Teeing area does have some very special Rules.

Posted:
  • QEightQEight FinlandMembers  3521WRX Points: 189Handicap: 11,0Posts: 3,521 Titanium Tees

On -, @2bGood said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

dave

dave

Not to muddy the waters... under the old rules, I thought that once you had hit your first ball in the teeing ground - if you accidentally knocked your ball off the tee on a secondary ball (ie provisional) you then faced penalty for moving get ball. This came up in a rules seminar I was in. As it was super obscure I never looking into it, and just made sure to tee up my provisionals in a steady way.

I would say bollocks.

Posted:
    Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
    Titleist 910f 3W
    Callaway XHot hybrid
    Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT

On -, @QEight said:

On -, @2bGood said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

dave

dave

I would say bollocks.

You chose the correct term.

Posted:

Advertisement

Back to the matter of moving the ball with the forward press/wiggle, it does matter what that movement belongs to, does it not? if the player continues with his backswing and stroke, then Rule 9.1b applies provided the forward movement is paradoxically considered to be part of the backswing. No replacement, the stroke counts plus penalty (in this case) and play the ball as it lies.

Posted:

On -, @Colin L said:

Back to the matter of moving the ball with the forward press/wiggle, it does matter what that movement belongs to, does it not? if the player continues with his backswing and stroke, then Rule 9.1b applies provided the forward movement is paradoxically considered to be part of the backswing. No replacement, the stroke counts plus penalty (in this case) and play the ball as it lies.

I agree Colin. If that waggle/forward press is the starting movement of a seamless backswing process, 9.1b applies.

Posted:

On -, @2bGood said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

dave

dave

On -, @2bGood said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

dave

dave

There are a few issues with this post. First, accidentally nudging your (correctly called) provisional ball off the tee before it is played was not a penalty in 2018 nor is it a penalty in 2019. In 2019, any accidental movement of a ball in the Teeing Area does not get a penalty, regardless of whether the ball is in play or not. This is not clear in the rules but has been the subject of a USGA ruling.

Posted:

On -, @antip said:

On -, @2bGood said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

dave

dave

On -, @2bGood said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

On -, @sui generis said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

dave

dave

There are a few issues with this post. First, accidentally nudging your (correctly called) provisional ball off the tee before it is played was not a penalty in 2018 nor is it a penalty in 2019. In 2019, any accidental movement of a ball in the Teeing Area does not get a penalty, regardless of whether the ball is in play or not. This is not clear in the rules but has been the subject of a USGA ruling.

Having read Rules 6.2 and 9.4b Exc 1 I find that slightly problematic. The Exception 1 says there is no penalty if a player causes his ball in play to move if a Rule allows or requires the player to lift and place/replace the ball having moved. Somehow I get the impression that the player actually MUST do something to that ball he has moved or caused it to have moved. Now, the challenging part here is that on the teeing area a player is allowed to move his ball around with no penalty but IMO that moving needs to be done with intent. A ball moved accidentally has not been moved with intent unless the player having done that then declares that 'this is the spot I want to play my ball'.

I hope I was able to elaborate my thought sufficiently to make them understandable.

Posted:

I guess that we could go to the endless divot thread ( https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1769726/so-really-re-divots#latest ) and point out that if your ball lands in a divot that is in a teeing area, then you get relief :-)

What is the rationale for allowing a ball change for a ball in play that ends in a teeing area? I don't see the need for that, but I am sure that I am missing something.

dave

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Mr. Bean said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

FWIW, I don't think that it is correct/proper to think of the teeing ground as having special rules. If you dribble your ball off the tee, but not off the teeing ground, the ball is in play (just like it being in the fairway).

A ball on a tee is not in play until you make a stroke at it. If you dribble a ball of the tee before it is in play it does not matter where the ball ends up, it must be re-teed without penalty (or you may decide not to tee it but you are not allowed to play that ball if it is not in the teeing area). If you dribble a ball off the tee that is in play you get one stroke penalty and may replace the ball or play as it lies if it is still in the teeing area. If not you must place the ball somewhere within the teeing area.

Here in the US, to 'dribble the ball off the tee' means to top it severely such that the ball bounces a very short distance and stops (displaying the kind of movement that a basketball would display when being dribbled while the player is moving). Kind of US thing, I guess.

dave

Posted:
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members  3093WRX Points: 332Posts: 3,093 Titanium Tees

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

I guess that we could go to the endless divot thread ( https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1769726/so-really-re-divots#latest ) and point out that if your ball lands in a divot that is in a teeing area, then you get relief :-)

What is the rationale for allowing a ball change for a ball in play that ends in a teeing area? I don't see the need for that, but I am sure that I am missing something.

dave

It is to keep the rules simple. You can change your ball every time you you drop or place it but cannot change it when you need to replace.

Posted:
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    D: ST180 / 3W: GT 180 / 21º, MP-H5 / 4-PW: MP-4 / 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: Hi-Toe / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

On -, @Mr. Bean said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

Here in the US, to 'dribble the ball off the tee' means to top it severely such that the ball bounces a very short distance and stops (displaying the kind of movement that a basketball would display when being dribbled while the player is moving). Kind of US thing, I guess.

dave

Even I, in the US, missed on what you were trying to say. In your case the player has made a stroke at the ball, the stroke counts, but the player has a few more options than if he were in the general area.

Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip

Advertisement

On -, @Vindog said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

On -, @Mr. Bean said:

On -, @DaveLeeNC said:

dave

Even I, in the US, missed on what you were trying to say. In your case the player has made a stroke at the ball, the stroke counts, but the player has a few more options than if he were in the general area.

Very interesting. That is a really common term in my experience (which is mostly midwest and/or southeast US golf).

dave

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.