Swing conflicts between golf & tennis

golfrlgolfrl Members Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited Jul 11, 2019 8:08pm in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1

Wanted to get thoughts about exposing kids to tennis(pre teen kids). Are your kids playing both sports on regular basis? Do they experience conflict in swings? My kids played tennis(around age 8 & 6) before and one of them complained about getting confused between the two swings. Now they are looking to get back into tennis but we are concerned about the potential conflicts.

Comments

• JJK947JJK947 Members Posts: 3,115 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2019 8:23pm #2

Like anything it would depend on the individual but I find the modern tennis forehand to mess with the release in my golf swing a little bit if I'm not careful. It's pretty minor and only noticeable when I'm playing a lot more tennis than golf. Trying to learn both at the same time might introduce some other variables. The coordination and increase in use of different muscles/motions would more than make up for any conflict, I would believe. FWIW, I believe Kuchar is an avid player as well as Nicklaus during his peak golf days.

Taylormade M5 (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70
    Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80
    Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade TP 54.11 - KBS Tour V Wedge
    Taylormade TP EF 60 ATV - KBS Tour Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2019 8:50pm #3

Jack was an avid tennis player.

And a lot of tennis pros are excellent golfers. Lendl and Ashe come to mind. They picked it up pretty quick in retirement.

All athletic movements swinging an instrument have more things in common than not.

It’s always better to expose kids to other things. You never know, they may be at Wimbledon some day instead of The Masters.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,277 ✭✭

I think they compliment one another. The relationship of club/racquet to ball and resultant spin imparted is similar and will only help a decent athlete figure it out. The overall motion is different enough so as not to be confused.

USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • chrissdcchrissdc Members Posts: 58 ✭✭

A kid we are close to, whose father was a Davis Cup tennis player, played a lot tennis with her to help with her hand /eye coordination and overall athleticism.
    She is committed to USC to play golf.

• Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 129 ✭✭

If your kids have athletic pedigree they'll be just fine. The more sports the better!

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood(recently destroyed)
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

• caligolfer2103caligolfer2103 Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

my son has been playing golf for about a year now. started tennis about 3 months ago. not seeing any impact to his golf swing. that said he is only 8 and doesn't have the wrist strength to do those wicked loopy high top spin forehands that i imagine could wreak havoc on a golf swing.

• BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members Posts: 360 ✭✭

Like above, it's not the best idea to specialize a kid into one particular sport. The most important part is just having them involved in something that "they" like to do. This quote is perfect, "You don't have to specialize - do everything that you love and then, at some time, the future will come together for you in some form." -Francis Ford Coppola

Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-GW
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Scotty Cameron
  • luderifficluderiffic Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

Tennis is an excellent cardio sport which will serve to keep your kid in shape and improve his quality of life later on.