gear for an adult beginner?

BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,214 ✭✭
edited Jul 11, 2019 9:37pm in Equipment #1

My brother is a year younger than I but is now thinking he wants to try golf. We're half a century. What would you suggest for his gear? Play it Again? Craigslist? Are there new sets for adult beginners that aren't made out of Chinese pig iron? I have no clue. I did look at Play it Again and they did have some nice sets...almost all of which were not cheap and in need of new grips. Appreciate any "advicers…"

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
Ping G400 5-wood
Taylormade Spider blade
Srixon Z Star

Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

Comments

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,656 ClubWRX

Costco has some Cally starter sets for under $200. Seem to be decent clubs and a decent price. Cally's also having a closeout sale on some older models that might work as well.

• cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,253 ✭✭

If your brother is interested in the game but not really serious then pig iron sets are the way to go. I've never seen a boxed set whose quality rivals clubs coming out of a tour van. Those boxed sets have to have its quality compromised in order to be under a certain price point. My suggestion is to go through your local Craigslist and you'll see ads of full sets of tour quality clubs at a very reasonable price.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    1988 Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot 56d Sand Wedge and 52d W3 Wedge
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 94 ✭✭

Go to any big box store and get a starter set. Are they made of, "Chinese pig iron"? Sure but then again so is everything else.

• cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,253 ✭✭

@Zengolfer36 said:
    Go to any big box store and get a starter set. Are they made of, "Chinese pig iron"? Sure but then again so is everything else.

Most boxed sets have iron heads made out of zinc, not stainless steel or carbon steel found in quality name brand sets at your local Golftown or Dick's.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    1988 Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot 56d Sand Wedge and 52d W3 Wedge
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • hacker49hacker49 Members Posts: 543 ✭✭

Depends on how serious he is and how much he wants to spend. If he isn't sure he will stick to it or doesn't want to spend much go to any sporting good store and buy one of those cheap beginner sets. If he is sure he will stick to it find a good set a few years old from ebay or one of those second hand online retailers. You can find some good quality sets for a decent price.

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,229 ✭✭

Honestly, buy him a used set of ping eye 2 to get started with... use the ping fitting chart to get the right color... buy titanium woods off eBay.

get everything re gripped.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Members Posts: 2,452 ✭✭

Ping g5 g10 g15 irons two Vokey wedges sm5 54/58 Ping Anser putter Tm V Steel 3 and 5 woods Ping G5 driver. Classic starters to Play Your Best☺

2019 May

Ping [email protected] 10.5
    Tee 16.5
    Tm V Steel @ 18

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Vokey SM5 50 08 F Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10

Titleist Scotty Mid Slant Pro Platinum at 34 and a Half!

• JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,068 ✭✭

@RogerinNewZealand said:
    Ping g5 g10 g15 irons two Vokey wedges sm5 54/58 Ping Anser putter Tm V Steel 3 and 5 woods Ping G5 driver. Classic starters to Play Your Best☺

I agree with this, something to learn with and if he gets hooked then sell them in a year or two and buy some new ones at a fitting.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver 13.5 Regular Diamana F Ltd
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G400 4-UW & G410 SW Regular Alta (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3
    Bettinardi BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback
  • MilfordleftyMilfordlefty Members Posts: 703 ✭✭

Has he ever swung a golf club? Is he athletic? If yes and you think he'll take to golf easily take him somewhere to get on a monitor to see his swing speed with a driver and 7i. Is he a regular or stiff flex guy, steel or graphite in irons? If naturally athletic, likely a full set is warranted, so a box set maybe the best option now. If he wants to just play social rounds, I would recommend putting together a partial bag. (does he want to look like a golfer but shoot 120 or hit the ball up in the air with a chance at bogey, double or triple?) I would go ebay and buy a TM mini-driver (12 or 14° and @ 43.5"/260cc head, easier to hit for a beginner), a 5 wood (18°ish), a partial iron set (start at 7i) from TM, Cobra or Callaway & putter and a stand bag (look at offering from GlobalGolf or Dallas Golf on the internet too). If he is just starting, it is not like he can hit his irons with any progressive gap. He'll likely hit his 7i any where from 150 - 110, depending on the quality of strike, so having a 4-SW may result in half the clubs he can't hit well. Worst thing you can do is go real cheap and he struggles and gets turned off of golf. You have buddies with older sets he can borrow or buy? For a beginner the Lydia Ko mind set is the best "hit the ball, find it, hit it again). You just want clubs that will get the ball up in the air, worm burning your way around a hole/course is no fun.

Driver - Ping G400 Max 11° (small +), Alta CB R flex, stock length
    FW - Ping G400 5W, 16.9° (small -), Alta CB R flex, stock length
    Hybrid - Ping G400 4H, 22°, Alta CB R flex, stock length
    Hybrid - Ping G400 5H, 26º, Alta CB R flex, stock length
    Irons - Ping G20 6-GW, CFS steel R, Black dot lie, std length
    Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth, 56° Black dot lie angle, std length, Ping Tour 58°, Black dot lie angle, std length
    Putter - Original Odyssey #7 XG w/ SuperStroke Flatso 2.0, red paint by Continental Golf

And a Dave Pelz golf book.........

2019 May

Tee 16.5
    Tm V Steel @ 18

• tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,231 ✭✭

@Joelsim said:

@RogerinNewZealand said:

I agree with this, something to learn with and if he gets hooked then sell them in a year or two and buy some new ones at a fitting.

Pretty much anything PING "G"....or Rapture V3. :)

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3 , 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • MattC555MattC555 Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

I absolutely agree with PING, anything "G". If he can figure out what color dot he is, he will be all set.

indocti discant
    et ament meminisse periti
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 1,016 ✭✭

My suggestion would be something like 2nd swing. Get some decent used clubs from three or four years ago for relatively dirt cheap.

My recommendations were based on...where ever he plays other folk will look at witb and go hey there Great Classic Choices...all great performers....and also hence easy to resell

2019 May

Tee 16.5
    Tm V Steel @ 18

• orangeologyorangeology Category II Hoarder Members Posts: 676 ✭✭

callawaypreowned.com. get a set of X-14 or X-16 irons way under 200, in a decent condition. pro'ly the best bang for the buck beginners club. oh and X-Hot driver and a 5 wood. cheap Odyssey White Hot Putter. look for their occasional sale. go Rockbottomgolf.com get a ammunition box of Top Flite or Wilson Staff balls or Noodles.

all the above can be had low, and you can't go wrong. how do i know? cuz i started that way. :)
    good luck and welcome to the happy addiction. sorry it's not as cheap as street cracks, but trust us. it's healthier

Callaway XR16 Pro Tour Issue 9º + Fujikura Six Tour Spec X / Nike Flex 440 + Fujikura Six Tour Spec X
    Adams Super LS Speedline Tour Issue 14º XTD + Aldila RIP'd NV "Yellow Eye" 7 TX
    Royal Collection 505V BBD Hybrid 18º + DG Tour Issue X100
    Taylormade TP UDI 18º + DG Tour Issue X100
    (incoming) Taylormade 300 Forged Lehman Grind 3 iron + DG Tour Issue S300
    Nike VR II Pro Blades + DG Tour Issue X100 3 - 9 & PW
    Scratch STI 50º 56º 59º 60º + DG Tour Issue X100/S400
    Scotty CLN
    Nike Tour RZN Platinum / Srixon Q Star Tour