gear for an adult beginner?

BeerPerHole ·  
BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members  1605WRX Points: 475Posts: 1,605 Platinum Tees

My brother is a year younger than I but is now thinking he wants to try golf. We're half a century. What would you suggest for his gear? Play it Again? Craigslist? Are there new sets for adult beginners that aren't made out of Chinese pig iron? I have no clue. I did look at Play it Again and they did have some nice sets...almost all of which were not cheap and in need of new grips. Appreciate any "advicers…"

Posted:
Ping GMax 400, Tour Stiff, 8*
Mizuno Forged JPX 900 Irons
A Couple of Ping Glide Wedges
Ping Anser G Putter
Ping G400 5-Wood
Snell MTB-X
Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

Comments

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25409WRX Points: 2,565Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,409 ClubWRX

Costco has some Cally starter sets for under $200. Seem to be decent clubs and a decent price. Cally's also having a closeout sale on some older models that might work as well.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members  2561WRX Points: 443Posts: 2,561 Titanium Tees

If your brother is interested in the game but not really serious then pig iron sets are the way to go. I've never seen a boxed set whose quality rivals clubs coming out of a tour van. Those boxed sets have to have its quality compromised in order to be under a certain price point. My suggestion is to go through your local Craigslist and you'll see ads of full sets of tour quality clubs at a very reasonable price.

Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter
  • PingistheanserPingistheanser Columbus, OHMembers  340WRX Points: 222Handicap: 10Posts: 340 Greens

Go to any big box store and get a starter set. Are they made of, "Chinese pig iron"? Sure but then again so is everything else.

Posted:
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members  2561WRX Points: 443Posts: 2,561 Titanium Tees

On -, @Zengolfer36 said:

Go to any big box store and get a starter set. Are they made of, "Chinese pig iron"? Sure but then again so is everything else.

Most boxed sets have iron heads made out of zinc, not stainless steel or carbon steel found in quality name brand sets at your local Golftown or Dick's.

Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter
  • hacker49hacker49 Members  587WRX Points: 134Posts: 587 Golden Tee

Depends on how serious he is and how much he wants to spend. If he isn't sure he will stick to it or doesn't want to spend much go to any sporting good store and buy one of those cheap beginner sets. If he is sure he will stick to it find a good set a few years old from ebay or one of those second hand online retailers. You can find some good quality sets for a decent price.

Posted:
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  2954WRX Points: 698Posts: 2,954 Titanium Tees

Honestly, buy him a used set of ping eye 2 to get started with... use the ping fitting chart to get the right color... buy titanium woods off eBay.

get everything re gripped.

Posted:

As of 3/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Blue X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    4 iron / utility Sub 70 699 with Proforce 85 gram X
    50, 54, 58 Vokeys
    2 Ball Putter
    13/14 completed for now.

Advertisement
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers  2851WRX Points: 286Posts: 2,851 Titanium Tees

Ping g5 g10 g15 irons two Vokey wedges sm5 54/58 Ping Anser putter Tm V Steel 3 and 5 woods Ping G5 driver. Classic starters to Play Your Best☺

Posted:
    2020  31st May all Well🙂

Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
    Cleveland Launcher FL 3wd
    with 60gram PLPlatinum
    Titleist 904F 7wd steelshaft

MP100=33  pw 98765

54 SM Vokey 2006
    60 RTX2
    ProPlatinumMidSLT

17May back at Range
    re learning to hit a ball again
    rusty but accurate.

• JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 525Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees

On -, @RogerinNewZealand said:

Ping g5 g10 g15 irons two Vokey wedges sm5 54/58 Ping Anser putter Tm V Steel 3 and 5 woods Ping G5 driver. Classic starters to Play Your Best☺

I agree with this, something to learn with and if he gets hooked then sell them in a year or two and buy some new ones at a fitting.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Fairways: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff and TaylorMade M6 3 Wood
    Utility: Wilson Staff Model Utility #3 Regular KBS
    Hybrid: Titleist TS2 21* Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G410 5-PW (#5 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 50, 54 and 58
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).
  • MilfordleftyMilfordlefty SE MI Members  842WRX Points: 144Posts: 842 Golden Tee

Has he ever swung a golf club? Is he athletic? If yes and you think he'll take to golf easily take him somewhere to get on a monitor to see his swing speed with a driver and 7i. Is he a regular or stiff flex guy, steel or graphite in irons? If naturally athletic, likely a full set is warranted, so a box set maybe the best option now. If he wants to just play social rounds, I would recommend putting together a partial bag. (does he want to look like a golfer but shoot 120 or hit the ball up in the air with a chance at bogey, double or triple?) I would go ebay and buy a TM mini-driver (12 or 14° and @ 43.5"/260cc head, easier to hit for a beginner), a 5 wood (18°ish), a partial iron set (start at 7i) from TM, Cobra or Callaway & putter and a stand bag (look at offering from GlobalGolf or Dallas Golf on the internet too). If he is just starting, it is not like he can hit his irons with any progressive gap. He'll likely hit his 7i any where from 150 - 110, depending on the quality of strike, so having a 4-SW may result in half the clubs he can't hit well. Worst thing you can do is go real cheap and he struggles and gets turned off of golf. You have buddies with older sets he can borrow or buy? For a beginner the Lydia Ko mind set is the best "hit the ball, find it, hit it again). You just want clubs that will get the ball up in the air, worm burning your way around a hole/course is no fun.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR flex stock length
    Ping G400 5W 17.5° Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 45 R flex stock length
    Ping G400 3H 4H & 5H Alta CB R flex stock length
    Ping G20 5-9 CFS steel, R flex -1/4" Black dot
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 46°,50º & 56° AWT 2.0 R Black dot stock length
    Odyssey 2019 Seven Slant Stroke Lab with stock grip 35"
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers  2851WRX Points: 286Posts: 2,851 Titanium Tees

And a Dave Pelz golf book.........

Posted:
    2020  31st May all Well🙂

Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
    with 60gram PLPlatinum

MP100=33  pw 98765

54 SM Vokey 2006
    60 RTX2
    ProPlatinumMidSLT

17May back at Range
    rusty but accurate.

• tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX  25662WRX Points: 829Handicap: GolfPosts: 25,662 Titanium Tees

On -, @Joelsim said:

On -, @RogerinNewZealand said:

I agree with this, something to learn with and if he gets hooked then sell them in a year or two and buy some new ones at a fitting.

Pretty much anything PING "G"....or Rapture V3. :)

Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
    Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    (MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)

Advertisement
  • MattC555MattC555 Members  12WRX Points: 42Posts: 12 Bunkers

I absolutely agree with PING, anything "G". If he can figure out what color dot he is, he will be all set.

Posted:
    indocti discant
    et ament meminisse periti
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members  1255WRX Points: 308Posts: 1,255 Platinum Tees

My suggestion would be something like 2nd swing. Get some decent used clubs from three or four years ago for relatively dirt cheap.

Posted:

My recommendations were based on...where ever he plays other folk will look at witb and go hey there Great Classic Choices...all great performers....and also hence easy to resell

Posted:
    2020  31st May all Well🙂

Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
    with 60gram PLPlatinum

MP100=33  pw 98765

54 SM Vokey 2006
    60 RTX2
    ProPlatinumMidSLT

17May back at Range
    rusty but accurate.

• orangeologyorangeology Category II Hoarder NY NJMembers  764WRX Points: 161Handicap: 14Posts: 764 Golden Tee

callawaypreowned.com. get a set of X-14 or X-16 irons way under 200, in a decent condition. pro'ly the best bang for the buck beginners club. oh and X-Hot driver and a 5 wood. cheap Odyssey White Hot Putter. look for their occasional sale. go Rockbottomgolf.com get a ammunition box of Top Flite or Wilson Staff balls or Noodles.

all the above can be had low, and you can't go wrong. how do i know? cuz i started that way. :)
    good luck and welcome to the happy addiction. sorry it's not as cheap as street cracks, but trust us. it's healthier

Posted:

Driver
    Callaway XR16 Pro TC 9º + Fujikura Six Tour Spec X

Woods/Hybrids
    Callaway Rogue TC 14.7º + Fujikura Pro Tour Spec TI 6X
    Adams Super LS Speedline TI 14º + Aldila RIP'd NV 7 TX
    Royal Collection 505V BBD Hybrid #2 18º + NS PRO 950W X

Irons
    TM TP UDI #2 18º + DG TI X100
    set1: Nike VFP 4i + HZRDUS HC Black 95 6.5, 5i + DG TI X100, VP Forged Blades 6–P + DG TI X100
    set2: Nike VR Pro II Blades + DG TI X100 3-P

Wedges
    Scratch 8620 47º 50º 56º DG S300 / Scratch STI 60º + DG TI S400

Putters
    Scotty CLN, Edel The Brick

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.