2019 Callaway PM Wedges

jimbjimb Members Posts: 1,749 ✭✭

I know there have been threads on the 2019 version of the PM wedges, but I thought I would just share my thoughts. I picked up a 60*, in like new condition for under $100 on a whim. It came with the KBS HI REV shaft. I took it to the range and hit some shots from turf and sand and was impressed with how insanely easy it was to hit, especially out of the sand. I have read before that the original PM was like cheating out of the sand and I agree with that completely. My current wedges are MD4 with the 56* and 60* lofts. I also carry a MD3 50* gap wedge. I thought I would pull the 50* and 56* for the 54* and add a 5 wood to fill the gap between my 3H and 3 wood. I found another like new 2019 PM in a 54*, also for under $100 with the DG Tour Red wedge shaft. I swapped out the KBS for the tour red that was in one of MD4 wedges and got the lengths right for me. These wedges are just a breeze to hit off the fairway, rough and sand. I never liked irons with lots of offset. My irons are 2019 Apex Pros. But with these PM wedges I don't even notice. I think the reason for that is the leading edge is rounded and sits in relation to the shaft line where I like to see it. They are just awesome wedges.

Comments

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,571 ✭✭

Yup the Eye2 wedges are still awesome

I play the "PM" lob wedge as well. Great from the sand and elevates the ball very easy

Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20H w/Diamana D+ 90
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • 2_PuttBirdies2_PuttBirdies Members Posts: 62 ✭✭

Picked up the PM 2.0 60* this year and it's been the best lob wedge I've ever owned. Seems much harder to hit fat shots than the previous ones I've used and the feel is great too. Much softer than I was expecting.

• rjp322rjp322 Members Posts: 3,186 ✭✭

Cant get this wedge to spin or check at all for some reason. Stupid easy to hit though, can open it up and flop it like crazy. Just no check so I ditched it

• jimbjimb Members Posts: 1,749 ✭✭

@rjp322 said:
    Cant get this wedge to spin or check at all for some reason. Stupid easy to hit though, can open it up and flop it like crazy. Just no check so I ditched it

I was at the range yesterday and was hitting the PMs with the DG shafts that I installed. I did notice on chips/short pitches in particular with the 54* I wasn't getting the check, or not as much check, as I imagined. I was thinking it might be a function of the height of the toe. The center of gravity would have to be high with these, which would encourage less spin I think. On full shots the ball goes high and appears to land soft, at least on the target greens at the range. I may try the KBS Hi Rev 2.0 in it to see if that creates more spin as they advertise. I'm a tinkerer. I've hit shot nice drop and stop out of the practice bunkers with the 60*. We'll see how it goes. The forgiveness may be enough to keep them as my gamers. At any rate, they will be in the bag at a tournament I'm in on Monday.

• cmatthews77cmatthews77 Tuscaloosa, ALMembers Posts: 848 ✭✭

🤨

@rjp322 said:

Callaway
    Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree - Hzrdus Yellow HC
    GBB Epic 3W (14) - Fubuki ax 
    GBB Epic 5W (18) - Project X HZRDUS
    Apex 3 (20) & 4 (23) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
    '16 Apex CF16 (5i), '16 Apex Pro (6,7), '18 Apex MB (8-PW) Recoil 95
    MD3 Black 52 & '19 PM Grind 58
    Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta
  • eRod v1.0eRod v1.0 "In Rod We Trust" Members Posts: 1,152 ✭✭

@rjp322 said:

Weird. I can't get mine to not check. I love the wedge overall. Low pitches, flops, sand. It's a very versatile wedge. It took me a minute to get used to the shape but it's pretty dang good.

Callaway Rogue SZ 9° - PX HZRDUS Smoke 70
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° - PX HZRDUS Smoke 70
    Ping G410 19° - PX Even Flow Black 85
    Callaway Apex CF19 5-AW - TT Elevate Tour
    Custom Callaway MD4 54° - KBS HI REV 2.0
    Custom Callaway PM Grind 19 58° - KBS HI REV 2.0
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭

Loved the originals and thought I’d “upgrade” to the 2019’s. Absolutely hated them, especially the offset. I like to play wedges back in my stance and all I saw was hosel. Developed a nasty little case of the shanks and ditched them very quickly. Bought a new set of the originals and I’ll play them as long as they last. I don’t know who wants that much offset in a wedge, but it’s definitely not for me.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 

@eRod v1.0 said:

@rjp322 said:

Weird. I can't get mine to not check. I love the wedge overall. Low pitches, flops, sand. It's a very versatile wedge. It took me a minute to get used to the shape but it's pretty dang good.

It’s the strangest thing. Just will not check on short chops and pitches. Can switch right back to my Vokey and everything is back to normal checking. Love everything else about the wedge which sucks. If it checked how I felt it should it woulda been in my bag forever

• 41NAS41NAS Members Posts: 65 ✭✭

I own the 60 2017-8 version and it's absurd how versatile and easy it is to hit; I do slightly agree re: the ability to get it to check on short pitches at times, but absent that, I am already thinking about buying another one and just stocking it away when the grooves on my current gamer eventually fade.
    Interestingly enough, I also play the MD4 52-56, matte black, both in the S-grind and I want to move on from both of them. Anyone play the Hi-Toe in similar lofts that can provide feedback?

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,480 ✭✭

PM vs Hi toe? Any function differences other than finish?

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD Tour Blue 75X
    Rogue Tour Blue 85x or 818H2 Tour Blue 85x
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW Modus 120X
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Hi-Toe 58 Modus 125 Wedge (Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Sigma 2 Tyne
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• clemsontiger1clemsontiger1 Members Posts: 202 ✭✭

@rjp322 said:

@eRod v1.0 said:

@rjp322 said:

It’s the strangest thing. Just will not check on short chops and pitches. Can switch right back to my Vokey and everything is back to normal checking. Love everything else about the wedge which sucks. If it checked how I felt it should it woulda been in my bag forever

What shafts are in the vokey and the PM?

Taylormade M3, 10.5
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 set to 16 degrees
    Cobra Baffler set to 19 with the Red Tie shaft
    Titleist 818 H1 with the Tensei Pro White 90 shaft
    Taylormade P790 Irons (5-PW) with Project X shafts
    Callaway MD3 wedges (50 & 54) with KBS Tour shafts
    Callaway PM grind (58) with KBS Tour shaft
    Odyssey O-Works #7

@clemsontiger1 said:

@rjp322 said:

@eRod v1.0 said:

@rjp322 said:

What shafts are in the vokey and the PM?

Stock Hi Rev 2.0 in Callaway. Stock wedge flex S200 I think in vokey. Really should not have any real difference with that little of a shot

Well, I played with my two PMs today and must say I found them significantly better than the MD4. Pitches were checking well and full shot were drop and stop. Cannot be happier now.

• DrawBiasDrawBias Oklahoma CityMembers Posts: 205 ✭✭

I've also had a significantly better experience with the PM Grind wedges over the MD3. I've heard that Roger Cleveland generally preaches that "bounce is your friend" - and I can see it in the PM Grind. Great feel - and better control/spin (for me) than the MD3.

DRIVER: PING G LS Tec - 10.5 w/PING Tour shaft
    FAIRWAY: Cobra KING F6 3W w/Red Tie
    HYBRID: Cobra KING F6 19* w/Red Tie
    IRONS: Callaway Apex CF 16 4-AW w/XP95 (S300)
    WEDGES: Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56/13 and 60/10
    PUTTER: Odyssey White Hot Pro V-Line
    BALLS:Titleist Pro V1x and Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • JasonPetermannJasonPetermann Members Posts: 419 ✭✭

Just got my 2019 PM grind. I notice a significantly lower ball flight between it and my MD 3. Anyone else seeing that?

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5 w/Fujikura Pro 62 Green
    Ping G410 3 Fairway w/Alta CB 65
    Ping G410 4 Hybrid w/Alta CB 70
    Ping G410 5 hybrid w/Alta CB 70
    Callaway Rogue Pro 6-PW w/ Recoil 760 F3
    Callaway MD3 - 50, 54 and 60
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle
    Callaway Chrome Soft/Z-Star
    Sun Mountain 2017 Sync

@JasonPetermann said:
    Just got my 2019 PM grind. I notice a significantly lower ball flight between it and my MD 3. Anyone else seeing that?

I think because of the higher toe area you might see that if you have a steep angle of attack with these. I hit mine about the height about the height I'd expect for the marked loft. What I really like about these wedges is they are very stable at impact. I have never felt anything like it in a sand wedge.

• MobMob Just Another Lefty Members Posts: 3,484 ✭✭
    edited Today @ 3:01pm #18

I have a 64 degree PM grind that is bent to 62 degrees. This has been a very fun and effective club around the greens. It is great out of the rough, good out of the bunkers, and great when I am short sided. Hits the ball high with a soft landing and minimal roll out of the rough. I do not use it for anything more than a half swing, as the risk of chunking it out of the fairway for me is quite high.
    The offset was an issue at first, but I have gotten used to it after a couple of months of use and it no longer bothers me.

Epic Flash Subzero with Tensei Pro Orange 60S shaft vs. Cobra F9 Tour length with Tensei Pro Orange 60S shaft
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD IZ 75 stiff
    Callaway Rogue 2 and 4 hybrid with GD Tour AD IZ 85 stiff hybrid shaft
    TM P790 5-A with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Callaway Forged 56 degree wedge and PM19 62 degree wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe