Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Can WRX start a new section for "Better Players" PLEEEEEASE (changed from Scratch)

BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXerMembers Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Aug 26, 2019 6:34pm in Website Help, News & Feedback #1

There are many questions and discussions myself and other scratch golfers would like to get into without the myriad of responses from players that shoot bogey+ golf..... If your a scratch then you know that opinions of bogey golfers dont hold much water and muddy up the conversation on the course or on WRX lol.... its strange but true how little 90+ scoring golfers opinions are not even listened to by better players.... its very rare they can tell you something you dont already know about

example: I started a thread bout whether its advantageous to hit higher/lower to up/down sloping fairways and I realized the guys got stuck on the idea of hitting a flighted shot with driver lol and best to just hit stock shot.... haha its easy to flight a drive down and realized the audience wasnt good enough to discuss the idea... but if it was in a scratch section the right guys would of responded with insight..... I asked a similar question about playing from uneven lies about going with the slope or forcing your will on it for the flight you want and the discussion was useless cause of the ability of the players. Plus it would be a place where bogey+ golfers could ask a good player a question.

I know Obee started that good thread for scratch golfers tourney results and thats great but can we get one section PLEASE..... or at least try it before you say no lol.... Thanks!!!!

G30 LST
3 wood M2 HL
OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
Cleveland Blob
SeeMore Butts
Post edited by Barfolomew on

Comments

• BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I feel I have to qualify myself as a par golfer to encourage the proper responses... I feel like I come off like a jerk when I open with" I'm a par golfer" then ask my questions hoping the bogey+ golfers will hold back rookie advice and ballers will answer knowing I can understand and want the advanced responses lol....

G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • JeffreySpicoliJeffreySpicoli Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How would WRX determine who is a scratch golfer and thus allowed to post in this proposed section? I hear you asking that only scratch or better would have the ability to post.

Nice idea but sounds like an administrative headache at best. Let alone a lot of work with low rewards for the WRX administrators.

• bladestrikerbladestriker No. Cal.Members Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How about just add the sub forum? I think that was the intent of the OP. Just like a lefty sub forum, I can post and look, but am not a lefty, so do not visit. I still recommend it for lefty golfers looking for info/gear.

‘16 M2 10.5º AD-DI 75X
    M2 tour 3 wood Kuro Kage 70x
    JPX 900 tour 4-PW PX lz 6.5
    Vokey 52º 56º 60º-PX lz 6.0
    Scotty Cameron AoP Newport 2 
    "I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds fine to me. Not a scratch golfer here. @Barfolomew I do have a question though... do we have comment based on where we are right now or where we have been or think of ourselves? I'm in poor form right now.
    Roger Gunn said something similar a long time ago.

• JJK947JJK947 Members Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@matthewb said:
    How would WRX determine who is a scratch golfer and thus allowed to post in this proposed section? I hear you asking that only scratch or better would have the ability to post.

Nice idea but sounds like an administrative headache at best. Let alone a lot of work with low rewards for the WRX administrators.

You'd have to have a moderator checking members ghin numbers for their handicap and giving them access. If you don't actualy check, then it's pretty useless. And like you said, an administrative headache if you have to check every request. It would be a useful subforum but not sure if excluding a large portion of the membership goes with the site's goals.

I've got a small list of names that I recognize and know are good players and knowledgable that I've accumulated in my head since I joined in 2007. I don't really put much stock into any other opinions I see on here. Really only talking about the equipment and swing related topics in that regard, though. It was easier to recognize who was who when the site was smaller. You'd see the same names a lot and kind of had an idea whether they knew what they were talking about. Since the site has grown so much, if I want an opinion I usually get it through PM or a certain memeber's WITB.

Taylormade M5 (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70
    Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80
    Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100
    Mizuno MP T7 52.09 - DG Tour S400
    Mizuno MP T20 58.04 - DG Tour S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do like the idea. In the old format we used to have our handicaps under our names. I have to admit I would look at someones handicap and that would inform me on the value of their advice on some subjects.

The definition of scratch would have to be recommended though and people would have to decide for themselves if they make the cut. For instance I have been a + cap but I am no longer and unlikely to be a + cap again anytime soon as I don't put the work in. Right now I am actually a 4 cap masquerading as 2cap and some times I am a 4 cap masquerading as a 8 cap :# Under the old format I think I used to list my cap as 3-6 or something like that as it move up and down all the time.

• Mikey5eMikey5e Members Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two years ago I had five eagles in the season, does that count for anything?

edited Jul 13, 2019 8:21pm #13

You guys are lookin at it too riged.... There are no rules who can use it. Doesnt matter if you used to be a baller 20 years ago you still understand it and can give good advice or a single cap or whatever. Jack can contribute I think lol. Its just a sub forum where most of the sticks can talk stuff out and hacks can check in too no biggie like any forum on WRX.

Doesnt have to be called scratch cause obviously some of you got stuck on that... call it the Stick forum for sticks lol...

There is a huge difference what a really good player is doing on a course and a guy trying to keep it under 100. Bogey+ golfers are not even daring to play shots scratch golfers are. Like a back dangerous pin.....a good player has many options controlling spin, height, low draw or club up for wind etc... where others just happy to finally hit a green..... So Different and so are the topics!!

b.helts gets it talkin crap out the gate and he cant even flight a driver haha.... the banter is even way different when its a 4 some of scratch goflers vs when chops are playin. That could be a topic in the new Stick forum lol!

Post edited by Barfolomew on
    G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • b.heltsb.helts Members Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

lol bud. Love it!

Maybe someday, in the “In the Sticks” forum or something, you can teach me to flight a driver.

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 14, 2019 4:06am #15

@Barfolomew said:
    Bogey+ golfers are not even daring to play shots scratch golfers are. Like a back dangerous pin.....

This is so not true. Bogie golfers are ALWAYS trying to pull off shots like this - often this is part of the reason they don't score lower.

I play with lots of high cappers, I tend to be way more conservative in my shot selection - particularly when I am in trouble. Mainly because I way more confident in being able to still make par after a chip out than they are.

I recall asking a 20 capper friend of mine why he attempted a low percentage shot. His answer was he mise-well go for broke, as he can screw up a hole form the middle of the fairway just as easy. Basically no matter where he was on the course, he was relying heavily on luck.

Post edited by 2bGood on
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,929 ClubWRX

@ThinkingPlus said:

@Mikey5e said:

No.

TP doesn't it count for -10 on those holes???

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,789 ClubWRX

@DavePelz4 said:

@ThinkingPlus said:

@Mikey5e said:

No.

TP doesn't it count for -10 on those holes???

If it must.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

LOL

This is an interesting idea. I was going to, and still may, start a thread about whether ANY posters pay attention to WHO, or rather how good the poster is, that makes the post when considering whether or not to lend any weight to what the poster is saying.

I think that sentence was confusing but I'm too tired to re-write it. LOL

Of course, with the new site the handicaps don't show any more. I think it should be a required field on one's profile AND show under the avatar as it used to.

Anywho, the Forum proposed by ol' Barf' COULD be started and a sub-heading written saying something like "This forum is primarily for discussion between VERY good players. If you're not one of them think twice about adding your content".

As to who those good players are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not sure. I'd think mid-single digits and better, either currently or in the past. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

Not a scratch golfer commenting.

I think the rub here is you want to GolfWRX both find and vette the people you intereact with on certain topics, when it's not in their interest to do so.

Clicks equals $ AND policing the posters would be problematic as well.

Lest I say something to stall out the positive mometum of this post to this point, let me stop at saying I can absolutely see the reasons for concern I think the problem calls for a more elegant solution.

@Barfolomew

• GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wait so this is a post about opening a section for scratch only and a bunch of non scratch guys (ahem including me) respond lol. Honestly easy enough to enforce a GHIN linkage and automatically kick you out or not allow you to post if your GHIN isn't up to snuff. I don't see why they would spend the time to program that though, since it'll probably just be about 30 members maybe.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I hear Dave Pelz has a handicap of 6. Stay away!
    I vote no girls allowed either.

X________________________________
    Sign Here

• Mikey5eMikey5e Members Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, the words 'blue nose' comes to mind.

• LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest Downfall St. Johns / Jacksonville FloridaMembers Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great idea, if it actually worked. I do t think it would. I’m a pretty low hc player and anytime I post a question, I just have to weed out the irrelevant responses. It’s pretty easy to tell a better player answering a question with experiences.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
    Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
    Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Barf, start your own forum, OnlyUnderPar.com. Stay away from WRX type stuff, (fashion, etc.) require attested hdcp and background check. Problem solved.

• lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@LUMA said:
    It’s pretty easy to tell a better player answering a question with experiences.

Or a mid handicapper with 35 years of experience playing the game.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black

@Barfolomew there was another thread where the OP was a 2 cap and he wanted feedback from players of a similar caliber. I immediately thought of this thread and I almost tagged you but...

Another thing you could do is you could just make a tag list then copy and paste it into your queries probably take you 10-20 mins and save you the time in the long run.

I'll tell you the truth though I'd want you to give a non scratch player credit for such an elegant solution.

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,402 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 21, 2019 4:17pm #29

Only if I get a "like to wear jeans when I can" forum.

Start a thread, figure out how to keep interest going if it means that much, but the posts so far just suggest you want a place you can talk about what you want to talk about without "hacks" getting in your way, no matter how you phrase it.

Elitist is how it's coming off, don't really believe you have that intent, but that's how it's coming off to me.

Learn plenty as a non-scratch from scratch golfers and too many topics of every description where the aspects of the game intersect for all levels.

edited Jul 25, 2019 9:15pm #30

Arrogance, Elitism, God Complex...... WoW its good were talkin bout golf and not something serious hahaha. OK I threw in god complex lol..... Easy guys were just on a golf forum cool your jets.... lemme guess you guys get upset after bad shots.....just another reason you're not playin par golf lol!

Here are a few threads I'm gonna start soon that would be more fitting in a "better players" forum:

1. How little can you practice and still shoot even par?
    2. What about your particular game makes you a par golfer? Is there 1 main thing that stands out or are you well rounded...discuss. I read Obee only drives as far as a 7 iron but still shoots under, that's amazing dont know if I could pull that off as I lean on Driver Putter...
    3. What kind of ratio do you play for score or play for practice to maintain scratch golf or to see improvements, discuss the nuances between the 2. I know my friends will say how'd you shoot I respond I was working on my game... oh so you sucked and stopped keeping score haha.... noooo lol

It's funny how many of you are over thinking a "better players" forum or taking it personal. I don't see anyone getting upset that there is equipment DESIGNED for better players like blades vs shovels and why couldn't a forum follow suit..... doesn't make it wrong that there's something for everyone. Maybe its elitist to play blades..... ok I wont play my MP-14s anymore

Yes I am a professional master debater..... i just don't get paid for it

G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • JeffreySpicoliJeffreySpicoli Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Barfolomew said:

Yes I am a professional master debater..... i just don't get paid for it

Just curious, how much have you been offered to be a paid professional master debater?

Or is this a self-proclaimed title?

This discussion has been closed.