2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

BeCu Ping Eye 2+ full set 1-lw - What do I really have here?

Dsoles00

Whelp, just picked these up today....

With the exception of the LW all the serial numbers match so my question is, what do I really have here? The only 12 club set I’ve seen available is listed over $3k. Was lucky to get a second chance as I parted with my OG 3-W BeCu black dots over 10 years ago. Should I keep these in the bag or in the closet? Thanks everyone!2ww2a1tfnq8g.jpeg

Pi6gnvzh8arttg.jpeg

Play and enjoy them. Beauties. Are they all + irons?

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Lofts are very week, that + LCG will lose a lot of distance vs modern irons. Shafts were shorter too assuming they're standard. Will spin more too. As nice as they are they're simply not on par with most modern equipment

• Like 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @JD3 said:

> Lofts are very week, that + LCG will lose a lot of distance vs modern irons. Shafts were shorter too assuming they're standard. Will spin more too. As nice as they are they're simply not on par with most modern equipment

Agree. In my opinion the Eye2 is the best iron ever made. Easy to hit and even many tour pros used them. Very accurate for cavity backs. But, they simply to not hold up in comparison to modern equipment. Shorter shafts and weak lofts will be 10-15 yards behind today's irons. Im hoping Ping will someday release them with modern specs.

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

Stock shafts sucked imo ..light and weak. First thing I'd do with a set is swap it out but keep them in case it added some resale value later.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @JD3 said:

> Lofts are very week, that + LCG will lose a lot of distance vs modern irons. Shafts were shorter too assuming they're standard. Will spin more too. As nice as they are they're simply not on par with most modern equipment

If you go by the numbers on the bottom of the irons then yes, you're right. If you compare similar lofted irons then there is very (if any) little distance loss. Watch the video fried egg golf did compareing 3 Ping irons.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

That's a cool set right there. The great thing about these clubs is they are beautiful and indestructible. They all look the same, and perform the same way every time.

The lofts may be weak by today's standards. The PW is 49º, but there's no gaps, and IMO, the wedges may be the easiest to hit in the game... ever.

The "weak loft" comments are... weak. You can always grab another club to hit exactly the same shot.

• Like 3

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Taylormade 11' Rescue 21º and 23.5º (Aldila RIP TP S)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

> @lawsonman said:

> > @JD3 said:

> > Lofts are very week, that + LCG will lose a lot of distance vs modern irons. Shafts were shorter too assuming they're standard. Will spin more too. As nice as they are they're simply not on par with most modern equipment

>

>

> If you go by the numbers on the bottom of the irons then yes, you're right. If you compare similar lofted irons then there is very (if any) little distance loss. Watch the video fried egg golf did compareing 3 Ping irons.

>

>

In addition the CG wasn't particularly low and is higher than many modern clubs. Weren't Ping iron shafts know to be light and stiff for many years and it wasn't until later models they offered different shaft stiffnesses?

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I think the KT shaft may have been "stock", although I have a set of stainless Eye2+'s with ZZ Lites. I've owned both and while I prefered the ZZ Lites, I played some pretty good golf with the KT's too.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Taylormade 11' Rescue 21º and 23.5º (Aldila RIP TP S)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

You have a set of clubs where if you lose 1 and put in a replacement the value drops by half..?

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

> @"rufus mangler" said:

> I think the KT shaft may have been "stock", although I have a set of stainless Eye2+'s with ZZ Lites. I've owned both and while I prefered the ZZ Lites, I played some pretty good golf with the KT's too.

ZZ Lite was the stock shaft in the Eye2/Eye2+, but the KT shaft (and KT-M) was an option. I've got a couple Eye2+ sticks with the KT-M.

In my experience, the Eye2+ hit the ball fairly high for their loft, but do so without excessive soon. When I switched to them for a year, I saw distance gains due to the lower spin, in spite of increased trajectory (I already hit a high ball).

A very credible club in the modern environment.

As others have already posted, I find the "short distance" comments a little odd. This is WRX, we're supposed to be collectively knowledgeable, able to see through the club marketing thru stronger lofts. No wonder we have 27* 6 irons.... smh

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @"rufus mangler" said:

> That's a cool set right there. The great thing about these clubs is they are beautiful and indestructible. They all look the same, and perform the same way every time.

>

> The lofts may be weak by today's standards. The PW is 49º, but there's no gaps, and IMO, the wedges may be the easiest to hit in the game... ever.

>

> The "weak loft" comments are... weak. You can always grab another club to hit exactly the same shot.

Errr no, not that simple. Modern clubs will launch higher with lower spin, and offer steeper decent. "controlling" with spin is really a lack of control, as a higher spinning ball will balloon and get effected more by the wind, more side spin too making it less accurate. Modern game is controlled with trajectory, a relative advantage very few had over the field like nicklaus and young tiger. New equipment has offered that aspect to pretty much everyone now.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @JD3 said:

> > @"rufus mangler" said:

> > That's a cool set right there. The great thing about these clubs is they are beautiful and indestructible. They all look the same, and perform the same way every time.

> >

> > The lofts may be weak by today's standards. The PW is 49º, but there's no gaps, and IMO, the wedges may be the easiest to hit in the game... ever.

> >

> > The "weak loft" comments are... weak. You can always grab another club to hit exactly the same shot.

>

> Errr no, not that simple. Modern clubs will launch higher with lower spin, and offer steeper decent. "controlling" with spin is really a lack of control, as a higher spinning ball will balloon and get effected more by the wind, more side spin too making it less accurate. Modern game is controlled with trajectory, a relative advantage very few had over the field like nicklaus and young tiger. New equipment has offered that aspect to pretty much everyone now.

How long did you play the Eye 2's?

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Appreciate all of the responses! Here’s a brief synopsis of my first round back with the Eye 2’s:

1) Distance was 5-10 yards shorter comparatively but when I struck it clean I couldn’t ask for more.

2) The wedges were absolute sauce. On the back 1/3 we got dialed in distance-wise and was having a good laugh being short my approaches and getting to use the LW.

All in all I had a great time in scorching heat, having a few brews and fully enjoying the pros and cons of the, “new” set. Now I just need to find a way to wake my putter up.

• Like 1

Those are a great set of irons. Will still produce some bag envy among those in the know.

Ignore the modern vs old baloney. Just take another club and you are fine.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I have a set of the eye two's copper 1 thru lw matching serial numbers. a few years ago it would cost you almost a grand to find a set in prestine condition but the market dropped out almost over night. A friend of mine who owns a Play it Again Sports store has several sets that range in price around $250 3-pw he says they don't sell well, but the SW and LW are still in high demand. I wish I would have sold mine a few years back. My advice is if you like them play them.

The + not as valuable as the originals, unless you find a + no + set with the original grooves

Play the P and S and L as a 3 wedge set

Partner them w Blueprints ....

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @MadGolfer76 said:

> Those are a great set of irons. Will still produce some bag envy among those in the know.

> Ignore the modern vs old baloney. Just take another club and you are fine.

If it were truly "baloney" youd still have pros playing them , or at least modern day replicas. As much as it pains some to hear, there are not.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @JD3 said:

> > @MadGolfer76 said:

> > Those are a great set of irons. Will still produce some bag envy among those in the know.

> > Ignore the modern vs old baloney. Just take another club and you are fine.

>

> If it were truly "baloney" youd still have pros playing them , or at least modern day replicas. As much as it pains some to hear, there are not.

Pros are paid to play the latest and greatest, so not a good comparison. Even if that wasn't true, it doesn't change the fact that they are a great, classic set of irons. Arguing the opposite is the painful part.

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x

And if that design still works someone would make it for them and pay them to play it... You missed the point. They put too much spin on the ball, and they're MoI can't begin to match what they're doing with hollowed out cup faces and multi material construction.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @JD3 said:

> And if that design still works someone would make it for them and pay them to play it... You missed the point. They put too much spin on the ball, and they're MoI can't begin to match what they're doing with hollowed out cup faces and multi material construction.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

> @JD3 said:

> And if that design still works someone would make it for them and pay them to play it... You missed the point. They put too much spin on the ball, and they're MoI can't begin to match what they're doing with hollowed out cup faces and multi material construction.

Oh, come on. The rest of the OEM's are going to license the design from PING to make one-off sets of them for whoever wants them? People were playing pro golf with these (likely) before you were even born, with golf balls that spun way more than anything available now. MOI and Spin problems - you are lucky there are no more good emoticons on these comment boxes, or I would face/palm you into next week. :)

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x

> @JD3 said:

Spin is different for different players. If you want to say they spin too much for "me", I get it. You didn't say that. As a matter of fact, who knows if you've ever played the old Eye2's since you never answered when asked.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

I went from 7200-7500 with an MS-11 6 iron at 31* to 6000 with an Eye2+ 6 iron, at 31*. To me, they may not be low spin, but they're certainly not high spin.

Emphasis on the "to me"

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @JD3 said:

> > @MadGolfer76 said:

> > Those are a great set of irons. Will still produce some bag envy among those in the know.

> > Ignore the modern vs old baloney. Just take another club and you are fine.

>

> If it were truly "baloney" youd still have pros playing them , or at least modern day replicas. As much as it pains some to hear, there are not.

I still have a set of 2-S becu eye + with microtaper shafts, which were the shaft of choice in those heads (the zz-lite and kt shafts were seen more in the steel heads). Currently gaming s56. Did a ping tour van fitting on Friday, and came away with two things: 1. The current iBlades were an improvement, but only marginal, over my S56 and 2. The Ping fitter used the eye 2 for comparison, saying that the s56 and iBlades were ‘just as forgiving as the eye 2s’.

They are a wonderful set that should be played, not displayed. The extreme offset is the only drawback, imo, but that’s a personal thing. The point is that they should be compared to players’ cavities of today, NOT sgi/distance clubs like the g400 (again, except for the offset). And for those of us who still prefer traditional lofts (an option ping offers from the factory, along with power spec on the opposite end), the distances are fine - very comparable to the s56 and iBlade for me (less than 2 yards diff With a 7 iron (~153-155, according to trackman with Wilson staff range balls).

I say use them and enjoy!

Edit: I should add that the shorter shaft argument is meaningless unless you are buying clubs off the shelf. If you get fitted, as you should if you care about your game at all, the shafts will be the length they are supposed to be for you. My eye2s are the exactly same length and lie specs as my s56s.

Titleist 910D2 Rombax X-type 60-S, A1 setting
Titleist 910F2 15, Rombax X-type 70-S, D1 setting
Titleist 910H 19, Rombax 8D07 S, D1 setting
Ping S56, KBS Tour 120S, 3-W
Ping Tour S 52/12, KBS Tour 120S
Ping Tour S 58 TS, KBS Tour 120S
Scotty Newport Fastback custom shop, 34", jumbo Scotty grip
Titleist Player 4 bag

People can play hickory shafted mashie if they want, as long as rules allow anyway. Point is (again) if you're going high MOI/high launch, eye2 is not on par with current offerings. Heavy tungsten at the bottom increases launch which allows for stronger lofts....net result, dream flight of high launch, low spin. Faster ball speed from thinner faces requires less club (which in itself is more forgiving).

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips