Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Next Generation Camerons

SCalGolferSCalGolfer Members Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
edited Jul 15, 2019 3:26am in Putters #1

Hi guys,

I searched and didn't see anything. Does anyone know what the 2020 Camerons will be like? I'm hoping they go back to a non-insert model as I don't like the current lineup. I would also prefer a cleaner design without the words Scotty & Cameron, and big dots all over the clubhead. Black is a nice color. Scotty's early clean designs are my favorite. I currently game a 2009 Studio Select NP2.

Thanks in advance.

PS - the current NP2 is very nice minus the insert.

Comments

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The change to a non-insert putter head in the Phantom line hopefully signals a change across the board. This said, I prefer the Futura 7M/5M/5.5M over the Phantom line in both looks and feel.

Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • SCalGolferSCalGolfer Members Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

@noodle3872 said:
    The change to a non-insert putter head in the Phantom line hopefully signals a change across the board. This said, I prefer the Futura 7M/5M/5.5M over the Phantom line in both looks and feel.

Thanks. Nothing wrong with inserts it's just not my preference. I'm sure they play nicely.

• A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If nothing else, the current run of inserts for several years has really boosted the secondary market for the Classic's, PP's, Studio Stainless' , and Circas etc.!

'16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
    edited Jul 15, 2019 4:57am #5

What Scotty could do is make the next gen really clean. What I mean is minimize cherry dots and verbiage big time. I don't want to see Newport Two over two inches on the sole. I don't want Scotty Cameron on the neck or bumpers. Charge extra for that. Make it minimal. When you buy a BMW M3 in Germany you don't even get the badge, you have to order that. I love the stealth look more than the American in your face style.

Another option is to bring back the 340 gram option. How heavy are the current offerings - 350 / 360?

I even tried to kick my NP2 out of the bag with various brands where I liked the look better. In the end the NP2 holes more putts that anything else. It's a great putter.

Post edited by SCalGolfer on
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 15, 2019 5:33am #6

Hopefully they resemble these, with absolutely NO dots and a very minimal sole like pictured. It could be the biggest OTR release of SC's history. Blank neck, blank bumpers, Titleist script in the cavity, and small Scotty Cameron on the face(think classics). At worst for the sole, a classy Tei/Classic-like 'Scotty Cameron' with the line underneath on the sole(by Titleist).

Biggest offering though, NP and NP2 with optional flange lines. Make half of each model naked and the other half with lines. The NP2 naked, or even with topline sight-aids looks much cleaner to some folks.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1769376/new-cameron-putters-including-matsuyamas-2019-pga-championship#latest

'16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)

@A.Princey said:
    Hopefully they resemble these, with absolutely NO dots and a very minimal sole like pictured. It could be the biggest OTR release of SC's history. Blank neck, blank bumpers, Titleist script in the cavity, and small Scotty Cameron on the face(think classics). At worst for the sole, a classy Tei/Classic-like 'Scotty Cameron' with the line underneath on the sole(by Titleist).

Biggest offering though, NP and NP2 with optional flange lines. Make half of each model naked and the other half with lines. The NP2 naked, or even with topline sight-aids looks much cleaner to some folks.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1769376/new-cameron-putters-including-matsuyamas-2019-pga-championship#latest

Thank you for the link. Those are handsome putters sans the dots, which are too big and unsightly. If Scotty's new line is clean like that he will sell a ton of them.

• BaddsBadds Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It makes zero sense to make a putter with an insert that is made from the same material as the rest of the putter. Just dumb. This has to stop, Scotty.

• SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Im_A_Savage said:
    It makes zero sense to make a putter with an insert that is made from the same material as the rest of the putter. Just dumb. This has to stop, Scotty.

But then what would he do with his stock of double-sided tape?

• BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight IowaMembers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Skhacker said:

@Im_A_Savage said:

But then what would he do with his stock of double-sided tape?

Maybe he finally ran out??

Mizuno ST-190G Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno ST-190TS 15* Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno CLK 19* 3 Hybrid Speeder Evo HB 95X
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4-P C-Taper 130X (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Mizuno S18 50, 55, 60 C-Taper 130X soft stepped (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Mizuno TP Mills #5
    Titleist Pro V1 X

• semarlorsemarlor Charlotte, NCMembers Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of me thinks he knows exactly what he's doing. Release inserts and busy designs for years and make everyone long for the older styles...then release a clean, simple, solid head and sell a freaking ton of them. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit but I can already tell that it will be a huge seller if something anywhere close to what we are seeing is released. I am including myself in this and I haven't ponied up for a new putter in 10 years (but I've bought and sold dozens of used ones.)

• tom.lockharttom.lockhart Members Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

God I hope we can get a non-insert scotty. I just bought a 2012 Select in the awesome Black Mist finish because I've been waiting for a **** Scotty for too long!

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* (9.75*) Diamana D+
    Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana S+
    Titleist 917 F2 18* Diamana S+
    Titleist 816 H1 19* Atmos Blue
    Titleist 816 H1 23* Diamana S+
    Titleist 718 AP1 5-PW i95 Steelfiber
    Titleist SM7 48.10F
     Titleist SM6 54.10S
    2012 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 - 34"
    Titleist AVX
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think the insert putters catch a bad rap. Much to do about nothin' The deep milled stuff is worse. My 2 cents.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • j.a.j.a. Members Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do hope that next generation would be a more classic approach, it’s good the Tei3 has been relaunched and hopefully a full St.St. might be released, I mean with no aluminium insert like all those legendary putters from the 2000’s

• ChrisTChrisT Members Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited Sep 3, 2019 2:31am #15

I haven't bought a new SC for 10 years but loads of old ones. I'd def buy these. The current models with inserts sound like a Hyundai.

oops. Except for T22.......Just had to. It may remain in plastic.

@ChrisT said:
    The current models with inserts sound like a Hyundai.

oops. Except for T22.......Just had to. It may remain in plastic.

I would say, those models sound like a Lada... the Hyundai i30N actually sounds pretty good 😉

• JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Get a Bettinardi or a Piretti instead.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Cleveland RTX4 54 MID
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3, Studio Stock #28 Slotback, Studio Stock #38 & BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
    Piretti Forza & Matera Elite
  • MedsonMedson Members Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

With the recent T22 launch, maybe we’ll see return to classic next year? I mean Scotty OTR has gotten way too busy.

I remember there was some issues with wear and tear of the 2012 Black Mist Select line, hence it became silver in 2014.

• balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like many read the hate for inserts and then go in with preconceptions when they roll them. It's like a massive witch hunt. I play an older Scotty and the feel is gorgeous but the new ones are great too. Yeah, a cleaner look would be nice I guess but they're still d*mn good putters.

Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Project X HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X Evenflow 85g
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey SM7 52-F 56-F 60-D Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M 35"/Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"/Odyssey Double Wide Armlock 42"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 6.2

• brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I can't stand the inserts when compared to the stainless steel selects. Don't feel as good and just makes 0 sense. Would love to see a clean, carbon steel, non-insert, shallow milled release. Will never happen though.

PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 58M
    Black Lab BL-1
  • BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@brew4eagle said:
    I can't stand the inserts when compared to the stainless steel selects. Don't feel as good and just makes 0 sense. Would love to see a clean, carbon steel, non-insert, shallow milled release. Will never happen though.

Yeah, carbon is dead. Sucks
    But supposedly the next line is going to be solid milled again.
    No confirmation, so I'll believe it when I see.

Yadi for President
  • leftycabeleftycabe IowaClubWRX Posts: 65 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 9, 2019 2:40am #22

I haven’t heard specifics on the putter itself but a rep informed my “putter guy” that the new line is going to retail between $469-499. To me, that signals the solid one piece and they’ll tell a story about how they “refined” this and that and the new price point is going to be indicative of the premium materials, etc. I’ll be annoyed by the whole thing and then buy one anyway. 🤦‍♂️

• brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@leftycabe said:
    I haven’t heard specifics on the putter itself but a rep informed my “putter guy” that the new line is going to retail between $469-499. To me, that signals the solid one piece and they’ll tell a story about how they “refined” this and that and the new price point is going to be indicative of the premium materials, etc. I’ll be annoyed by the whole thing and then buy one anyway. 🤦‍♂️

At that price point just go custom made

PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 58M
    Black Lab BL-1
  • tangojaytangojay Members Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 10, 2019 3:13am #24

I wonder if he re-released this in order to maintain the price of the original TeI putters and re-set the OEM putter price?
    At one time, $299 was unheard off price for a putter, now it seems $299 is almost a standard price for a OEM putter. Look at the current Cameron list prices, nothing under $399.
    I would not doubt a re-release of Stainless Newport's and Newport 2's at $599 or $699 is too far.
    But again, I could and have been wrong thousands of times before,,,,,,,,,,,,,

@tangojay said:
    At one time, $299 was unheard off price for a putter, now it seems $299 is almost a standard price for a OEM putter. Look at the current Cameron list prices, nothing under $399.
    I would not doubt a re-release of Stainless Newport's and Newport 2's at $599 or $699 is too far.

We better don’t look at the price of drivers. At some point I believe the manufacturers themselves are helping to kill Golf with such big prices on everything regardless that most gear is made in China in these days...

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@j.a. said:

@tangojay said:

We better don’t look at the price of drivers. At some point I believe the manufacturers themselves are helping to kill Golf with such big prices on everything regardless that most gear is made in China in these days...

Costs of materials have gone up, cost to transport has gone up, while made overseas many assemble in the states and labor costs have gone up. Companies are spending more on r&d and marketing. A large portion of a releases budget is marketing.

• Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Price of irons have gone up ever since pxg

• MedsonMedson Members Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I can stomach $399 OTR. It has been a while since I bought a brand new OTR (nothing appealing to me).

• kerila07kerila07 Members Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure the T22 release was a test to see how well the public reacts to the higher prices everyone was eager to spend 600+ on the putters now when the 2020 models come out prices at 450 or more there will not be as much sticker shock.

• Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The last time Scotty made a long neck blade....19 years ago. Just saying, if anyone has a voice to complain....

• tangojaytangojay Members Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoGoErky said:

@j.a. said:

@tangojay said:

Costs of materials have gone up, cost to transport has gone up, while made overseas many assemble in the states and labor costs have gone up. Companies are spending more on r&d and marketing. A large portion of a releases budget is marketing.

Actually, Scotty Cameron has done this before, in an article with GOLF magazine, he stated he price his putters to a price the market would support, this marketing ploy, in my opinion was followed by PXG, I am sure you can find post here bashing them when they first introduced $1,200 plus iron sets.
    Now, many don’t even blink an eye. A driver today costs more than my complete PING set in ‘82, including a BECU putter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file