Where to stand when your opponent his hitting the ball on the fairway?

I am just getting into golf and was a little confused with this one,sorry if the answer is obvious.Was playing with a golfer yesterday that has played regularly for over 40 years,I was standing to his backside while he was addressing the ball on the fairway and he told me NEVER stand there when someone his hitting the ball because he can see me in his peripheral vision?He said always stand facing his chest,that way I’m out of his vision and never stand in line with the ball to his right either.I have no problem doing whatever he prefers,but is this common practice?When I golf with my other friends we usually stand 10 feet back in line with the ball to see the flight of it in case the hitter loses vision of it.

Comments

• Lefty96Lefty96 Members Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Generally it is good form to stand either directly in front of the person (so the ball is between you and them, I think this is what he mean by facing his chest) or to stand behind their backside so that you are completely out of sight. You definitely shouldn’t stand in this line behind the ball. One little move in the middle of his swing can cause him to take his mind off the ball. It’s just good form to stand out of sight.

Callaway Rogue Subzero 9*/Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
    XR 16 15* 3w/fukijura 565 Stiff
    Adams Red 18*/Matrix altus Stiff
    4-PW 718 AP3/AMT tour white Stiff
    50* cleveland RTX 2.0 (10* bounce)
    56* cleveland RTX 2.0 (12* bounce)
    60* cleveland RTX 2.0 (6* bounce)
    Odyssey O-Works #9 with Garsen Ultimate grip
  • rogolfrogolf Members Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As a referee, I was told to stand where I could see his buttocks or his belt buckle.

• dvboydvboy Members Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited Jul 16, 2019 1:56pm #4

Thanks,that makes sense,the main point I was trying to figure out was if it’s bad etiquette to stand to the back side of the player(facing his back,not in line with his shot).He was very adamant that is very poor etiquette to stand there and I just don’t see the logic of that,but wasn’t going to argue with someone who’s credentials way exceed mine.

• ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's not bad etiquette. He's got a poor swing if he's turning his head on his backswing. Just make sure you're not like 5 feet away from him. Give the same distance as you would if you were in front of him looking at the ball.

--kC

Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dvboy said:
    Thanks,that makes sense,the main point I was trying to figure out was if it’s bad etiquette to stand to the back side of the player(facing his back,not in line with his shot).He was very adamant that is very poor etiquette to stand there and I just don’t see the logic of that,but wasn’t going to argue with someone who’s credentials way exceed mine.

Lots of people have specific things that annoy them, things that would be just fine otherwise, and this seems like one of them. I agree with the others who have posted, standing in a spot where the player cannot see you is generally fine, including directly behind the player's back. But if any individual says that bothers him, respect that individual and find someplace else to stand. And if he wants to argue that standing behind a player is bad etiquette, you can refer him to this forum, and we can argue about it for hundreds of posts. >:)
    I generally don't like someone standing behind the ball and watching down the line, unless he's a bit further back than the 10 feet you say you prefer. If I ever have a problem with where someone is standing, I simply ask them politely not to stand there, and then apologize for my own sensitivity.

• dvboydvboy Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

@davep043 said:

@dvboy said:

Lots of people have specific things that annoy them, things that would be just fine otherwise, and this seems like one of them. I agree with the others who have posted, standing in a spot where the player cannot see you is generally fine, including directly behind the player's back. But if any individual says that bothers him, respect that individual and find someplace else to stand. And if he wants to argue that standing behind a player is bad etiquette, you can refer him to this forum, and we can argue about it for hundreds of posts. >:)
    I generally don't like someone standing behind the ball and watching down the line, unless he's a bit further back than the 10 feet you say you prefer. If I ever have a problem with where someone is standing, I simply ask them politely not to stand there, and then apologize for my own sensitivity.

Well put my friend,I think that sums things up nicely :)

• KyGolfKyGolf Western KentuckyMembers Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

If I am in a situation where I need to help watch the ball flight I will stand on or close to the line well back from the player. I have bad vision and if I am not behind the ball I will never pick it up. I haven't had anyone object to this practice. If I am playing with someone or a couple that I am familiar with and trust their skills I may be 30 to 50 yards ahead and off to the side of the line of play, depends on the situation and individuals involved.

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dvboy said:
    When I play golf with my other friends we usually stand 10 feet back in line with the ball to see the flight of it in case the hitter loses vision of it.

If the player is your partner, it's against the rules to stand 10 feet back in line with the ball. If the player is your opponent, it's bad etiquette.

Rule 10.2b
    (4) Restriction on Caddie Standing Behind Player. When a player begins taking a stance for
    the stroke and until the stroke is made:
    • The player’s caddie must not deliberately stand in a location on or close to an
    extension of the line of play behind the ball for any reason.

Footnote: See Rules 22, 23 and 24 (in forms of play involving partners, a player’s partner and the
    partner’s caddie may take the same actions (with the same limitations) as the player’s
    caddie may take under Rules 10.2b(2) and (4)).

Regarding where to stand, this might help;

https://www.bnl.gov/bera/activities/golf/golf/etiquette.htm

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 17, 2019 6:47pm #10

It sounds strange but I often stand where the player's golf bag is between me and him. My theory is, if he's OK with his own bag in his line of sight 8 feet from him then surely he's OK with me standing, in that same direction, 25-30 feet away.

But some guys are liable to object to anyone, anywhere, no matter how careful they try to be. In that case just do as they ask and make a mental note never to play with them again.

P.S. I mostly play with walking golfers. But standing on the far side of a golf cart is also a pretty safe bet.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Behind him if he’s away and I’m in his line,or at my ball

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I personally don't care where anyone stands. In fact, I've never even thought about it until this thread. As long as I can't hit you with my swing, we are good to go. I know a few guys that are more specific on where buddies stand, but there are those like me who've never even thought about it.

• ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Members Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭

The main problem with standing behind someone on their line is that most don't stand still or
    start walking in the backswing. Perif vision makes you look closer than you are.
    Running up on the tee to watch from behind is even worse.
    We often stand to someones back, because we have 2 choices, backside or beltbuckle. Just don't be
    so close. It's a big course. If a golfer sets their bag or cart 5-10 yards away, don't stand inside that.

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtMBgolf said:
    The main problem with standing behind someone on their line is that most don't stand still or
    start walking in the backswing.

Plus it's illegal if it's your partner and bad etiquette if not your partner.

• shortstop20shortstop20 Hit 'em straight! South DakotaMembers Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Depends. If the player is fidgeting then I’m not going to be real happy about you standing behind me on my target line and possibly distracting me. If I know you’re the type of person that will be still, then I don’t care.

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,768 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 21, 2019 11:59am #17

I’ve got to remeber to find more things to get annoyed with on the course!😀

I’m like 596 above, as long as I can’t reach you I don’t care where you are, and my ball is usually on it’s way before anyone has time to get fidgety. I watch from behind a lot so I can better see the ball flight.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • MooMoo Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 21, 2019 12:12pm #18

I love etiquette questions. So many people that play golf and don't know the basics.
    The thing is to allow the other player every opportunity to hit their best shot, which can mean accommodating requests that may not make any sense to you. Everyone sees the game a little different. I get a picture of the shot and then I set up and make the swing. If someone moves, talks, asks me a question after I get the picture, I have to start all over again.
    Never stand behind anyone in their line (unless you're 20 yards behind them). The best place to stand is either equal to the player playing, front or behind, and at least 10 to 15 feet away from them. Give them all the space in the world. Space is free of charge.
    Nice little guide here.

https://www.bnl.gov/bera/activities/golf/golf/etiquette.htm

Driver TS2 (first driver in 9 years that could out the trusty 910 D2)
    Ping i3+ Blades (backup set Mizuno MP 54 P-4 which are now in cold storage until the end of time)
    Rogue 3 wood with Evenflow Blue (so easy to hit high and long...Evenflow rules!)
    Rogue 5 wood with Evenflow Blue
    Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0
  • DivinDaveDivinDave Longview TexasMembers Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get annoyed if someone is standing directly behind me when I'm hitting. I dont know why, but I do, and I know that they dont mean any disrespect.
    I treat others the same way I like to be treated, so I never stand where the other golfer can see me.

Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Should be beside your ball if he's playing out of the fairway...

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file