Div 1 College Player playing in local club championship

2»
2

Comments

  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5337WRX Points: 540Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,337 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #32

    On -, @tiger1873 said:

    This obviously depends on the club and how good it's members are. Any self respecting D1 player would not want to play a club championship unless the membership was really good.

    If the kid is still in college I would almost best they are not a member but on a family membership. In that case it should be easy to state that the main or full member is only eligible for the championship. Pretty simple and most clubs do not accept members kids for club championships.

    You are making lots generalizations here. Clubs operate widely differently, particularly as GOLFwrx with all sorts of membership types. We do allow juniors(under 20) to qualify and play in the Club Championship. We have not had one win the Men's side yet, but they have won the women's side a few times. The goal of our event is to find the best player in the club, regardless of membership class. And yes Pro's that are members play in the event (Professional Staff are not members).

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BertGABertGA Members  360WRX Points: 130Posts: 360 Greens
    Joined:  #33

    On -, @2bGood said:

    On -, @BertGA said:

    On -, @ezpz said:

    I would find it weird if the best player in your club isn't playing in the club championships, what other reason than finding the strongest player in your club would there be for hosting such an event?

    For the average club I’m guessing it’s a revenue stream, not a measure of the best player. You don’t need a handicapped field of 72 golfers over three days to crown the champ. It could usually be decided with maybe 8 guys and 2 rounds. If you really want to crown a champion, take gross scores.Unless you are at Seminole or some club filled with pros, 98%of the membership isn’t sniffing Club Champion territory, aside from that time they got fit for their new Epic Flash.

    It’s bragging rights, getting your name on the plaque. And money. That’s what it is about.

    Wow do I ever disagree about that. Most to the clubs in my area don't even charge anything to play in the club championship as it is the one event about the score and nothing else - no honey pot, no door prizes. All most al the clubs do Low Net and Low Gross champs and have flighted championships with in the event.

    Disagree about my point, or disagree that it costs money to become club champ? Because it’s $60 where I play, for the gross or net division, 54 holes. Plus standard cart fees. Pretty much the standard charge for ANY tournament at our club, except of course the member/guest. I can’t say whether there is a cash prize, or just your picture holding the plaque on the wall, because I’ve never won it. :p

    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3793WRX Points: 1,109Posts: 3,793 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #34

    A junior won ours last year. Smoked the field. He was not even a tournament golfer. He was at one time then decided not to play tournament golf anymore. Just practiced here and there. He had just graduated and was getting ready for college. Just wanted to play in it. The membership didn't like that he won and they changed to Match Play this year. I guess they felt it gave everyone else a better chance at winning.

    I honestly laugh at the members at our course. It is humorous to say the least. Our course from the tips is 6800 but plays more like 7000 yards. The course doesn't drain well and there is no rollout in the fairways and we are at sea level. If you get 10 yards of roll then you have gotten a lot. The only time the course is utilized from the tips is when the high school plays there, the juniors at the course, a few visitors, and sometimes members that really shouldn't be playing from there. There might be 8 members at course that should be playing from the tips. Rest of the year all of the members play from the blue tees which are about 6400 yards but plays longer. There might be 15 members at our course that should be playing from this set of tees based on handicap and how far they hit the ball. Yet, in our club championship they play from the tips. Playing from the tips pretty much eliminates everyone but a handful of players in the Championship flight.

    Posted:
  • cmatthews77cmatthews77 ALMembers  903WRX Points: 109Handicap: 1.5Posts: 903 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #35

    Good comments... And yes I agree that the kid should be able to play 100%.

    Posted:
    Callaway
    Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree - Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted
    GBB Epic 3W (16) - Oban Isawa
    Apex 3 (20) & 4 (23) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
    Apex CF16 5i
    ’16 Apex Pro 6/7i
    ’18 Apex MB 8-PW
    MD3 Black 50, 54 (S Grind), 58 (PM Grind)
    Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta

    *Sometimes play strong 3w, 5 wood and 52/58 wedge setup 
  • JoshB10JoshB10 Members  41WRX Points: 68Handicap: 1.5Posts: 41 Bunkers
    Joined:  #36

    I don’t see why you wouldn’t want your best golfers competing to be your club champion? This makes no sense to me. The entire purpose of club championships is to acknowledge the skilled players at your club & try to encourage others to join or see your club as prestigious & a top facility for quality players.

    Posted:
    • Taylormade Original One Mini Driver 10*
    • Taylormade GAPR 2
    • Mizuno MP 59 3-PW
    • Titleist Vokey SM5 50*, 55*, 60*
    • Scotty Cameron 2020 Special Select 2.5
  • HiTrajLoSpinHiTrajLoSpin East TennesseeMembers  121WRX Points: 83Handicap: 7.0Posts: 121 Fairways
    Joined:  #37

    Is the D1 player listed as an official member and charged dues? When the club announces an assessment, is the D1 player charged? Does he play in the member/guest as the member? Of course not ... then he shouldn't be eligible for the club championship. Let him play in the junior club championship if 18 or under, otherwise play in state amateur tourneys.

    Posted:

    TS2 11.5°
    TS2 18°
    818H1 21°, 25°
    718AP2 5-PW
    SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M
    Scotty Fastback w/counterbalanced shaft mod

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5337WRX Points: 540Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,337 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #38

    On -, @BertGA said:

    On -, @2bGood said:

    On -, @BertGA said:

    On -, @ezpz said:

    I would find it weird if the best player in your club isn't playing in the club championships, what other reason than finding the strongest player in your club would there be for hosting such an event?

    For the average club I’m guessing it’s a revenue stream, not a measure of the best player. You don’t need a handicapped field of 72 golfers over three days to crown the champ. It could usually be decided with maybe 8 guys and 2 rounds. If you really want to crown a champion, take gross scores.Unless you are at Seminole or some club filled with pros, 98%of the membership isn’t sniffing Club Champion territory, aside from that time they got fit for their new Epic Flash.

    It’s bragging rights, getting your name on the plaque. And money. That’s what it is about.

    Wow do I ever disagree about that. Most to the clubs in my area don't even charge anything to play in the club championship as it is the one event about the score and nothing else - no honey pot, no door prizes. All most al the clubs do Low Net and Low Gross champs and have flighted championships with in the event.

    Disagree about my point, or disagree that it costs money to become club champ? Because it’s $60 where I play, for the gross or net division, 54 holes. Plus standard cart fees. Pretty much the standard charge for ANY tournament at our club, except of course the member/guest. I can’t say whether there is a cash prize, or just your picture holding the plaque on the wall, because I’ve never won it. :p

    I was disagreeing that club championships are all about making money. Of course what clubs do varies wildly.

    Posted:
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5337WRX Points: 540Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,337 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #39

    On -, @TNGolfGeek said:

    Is the D1 player listed as an official member and charged dues? When the club announces an assessment, is the D1 player charged? Does he play in the member/guest as the member? Of course not ... then he shouldn't be eligible for the club championship. Let him play in the junior club championship if 18 or under, otherwise play in state amateur tourneys.

    Why do you say ‘of course not.’ ? At our club they would be a voting member if over 18 just like any other member and do pay assessments prorated to their membership category .

    But we do let under 18 qualify to play too as we want to find the best player we have, not the best player from a certain membership category.

    Posted:
  • HiTrajLoSpinHiTrajLoSpin East TennesseeMembers  121WRX Points: 83Handicap: 7.0Posts: 121 Fairways
    Joined:  #40

    On -, @2bGood said:

    On -, @TNGolfGeek said:

    Is the D1 player listed as an official member and charged dues? When the club announces an assessment, is the D1 player charged? Does he play in the member/guest as the member? Of course not ... then he shouldn't be eligible for the club championship. Let him play in the junior club championship if 18 or under, otherwise play in state amateur tourneys.

    Why do you say ‘of course not.’ ? At our club they would be a voting member if over 18 just like any other member and do pay assessments prorated to their membership category .

    But we do let under 18 qualify to play too as we want to find the best player we have, not the best player from a certain membership category.

    To clarify, my post assumed that the parents of the D1 player were the actual members, and that he was playing at the club as their dependant; that is the case at my club.

    Posted:

    TS2 11.5°
    TS2 18°
    818H1 21°, 25°
    718AP2 5-PW
    SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M
    Scotty Fastback w/counterbalanced shaft mod

  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members  17193WRX Points: 1,422Posts: 17,193 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #41

    On -, @HiTrajLoSpin said:

    On -, @2bGood said:

    On -, @TNGolfGeek said:

    Is the D1 player listed as an official member and charged dues? When the club announces an assessment, is the D1 player charged? Does he play in the member/guest as the member? Of course not ... then he shouldn't be eligible for the club championship. Let him play in the junior club championship if 18 or under, otherwise play in state amateur tourneys.

    Why do you say ‘of course not.’ ? At our club they would be a voting member if over 18 just like any other member and do pay assessments prorated to their membership category .

    But we do let under 18 qualify to play too as we want to find the best player we have, not the best player from a certain membership category.

    To clarify, my post assumed that the parents of the D1 player were the actual members, and that he was playing at the club as their dependant; that is the case at my club.

    Majority of my player’s parents don’t play golf. They are the member.

    Posted:
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5337WRX Points: 540Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,337 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #42

    On -, @HiTrajLoSpin said:

    On -, @2bGood said:

    On -, @TNGolfGeek said:

    Is the D1 player listed as an official member and charged dues? When the club announces an assessment, is the D1 player charged? Does he play in the member/guest as the member? Of course not ... then he shouldn't be eligible for the club championship. Let him play in the junior club championship if 18 or under, otherwise play in state amateur tourneys.

    Why do you say ‘of course not.’ ? At our club they would be a voting member if over 18 just like any other member and do pay assessments prorated to their membership category .

    But we do let under 18 qualify to play too as we want to find the best player we have, not the best player from a certain membership category.

    To clarify, my post assumed that the parents of the D1 player were the actual members, and that he was playing at the club as their dependant; that is the case at my club.

    Fist enough. Clubs have a huge variation in how membership works. Our club you can’t be a junior member over age 18. You then have to pay an entry fee and monthly dues, but we give a great discount for under 35 to keep a good feeder system of young members.

    One of the private clubs near us also has an elite player membership. Joe Shmoe pays 65k to join, but if you can play you way in for free if you young and can show you have the game to potentially do something in golf.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • blairdblaird Biloxi, MSMembers  2224WRX Points: 163Posts: 2,224 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #43

    Yes he should play IF he is a member. We have memberships and family memberships at my course as well as stockholders and non stockholders. All of them can compete in our club championship. We dont get much participation but I am not going to make it worse by limiting who can play.
    Our family memberships can include children of members until they are 23, at that point the "kids" have to become regular members. I actually think all of our jr division were family membership members.
    I couldnt care less how good he is, if he is a member and wants to and is able to play, there is nothing they should do to keep him out. Only thing I can think of, if some dont want him to play, is move the tournament to when he is in school.

    Posted:
2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.