Duval - Mike Tyson of Golf?

JD3

Once great champion now shows up and adds some comedy by getting knocked out early round 1.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Lol ....

David lost his first two balls from the tee and then played a wrong ball for the third ball played from the tee. On discovering the mistake at the green he had to return to where the wrong ball was played but the correct ball could not be found. Therefore he had to play again from the tee for a fourth time under penalty of stroke and distance. He played six shots in completing the hole with the fourth ball from the tee. He incurred a two-shot penalty for playing the wrong ball but the strokes played with the wrong ball do not count in his score

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/british-open-2019-david-duval-plays-the-wrong-ball-posts-13-during-disastrous-front-nine

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Played one under on his final nine!! The guy just has to get off the Golf channel and play golf. Part time players on tough tournament course that do not play tournament golf will shoot high numbers. I like DD and he should play in Monday qualifying for every tournament or play that ferry tour. You only know your weaknesses if you play real tournament golf.

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

> @JD3 said:

> Lol ....

>

> David lost his first two balls from the tee and then played a wrong ball for the third ball played from the tee. On discovering the mistake at the green he had to return to where the wrong ball was played but the correct ball could not be found. Therefore he had to play again from the tee for a fourth time under penalty of stroke and distance. He played six shots in completing the hole with the fourth ball from the tee. He incurred a two-shot penalty for playing the wrong ball but the strokes played with the wrong ball do not count in his score

>

> https://www.golfdigest.com/story/british-open-2019-david-duval-plays-the-wrong-ball-posts-13-during-disastrous-front-nine

>

And who amongst us has not played the wrong ball before....well, maybe not in a major championship. LOL! Tiger probably would have withdrawn.

> @ghoul31 said:

> I never understood what happened to that guy

> He was the 3rd ranked player in the world, then 2 years later he was ranked 500

>

David is no Johnny Miller but didn’t JM fall off the radar after that crazy success of the mid 70’s? As I recall reading it was mostly family priorities. Maybe David had a similar situation? I don’t remember any major injuries.

> @ghoul31 said:

> I never understood what happened to that guy

> He was the 3rd ranked player in the world, then 2 years later he was ranked 500

>

Realized golf wasn't the be all and end all in his life. A couple of injuries. Lack of enthusiasm.

He's talked openly about it in the past. Fehrety's interview with him is pretty cool.....

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

> @RainShadow said:

> > @ghoul31 said:

> > I never understood what happened to that guy

> > He was the 3rd ranked player in the world, then 2 years later he was ranked 500

> >

>

> Realized golf wasn't the be all and end all in his life. A couple of injuries. Lack of enthusiasm.

> He's talked openly about it in the past. Fehrety's interview with him is pretty cool.....

Then why take up spot in the field?

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @JD3 said:

> > @RainShadow said:

> > > @ghoul31 said:

> > > I never understood what happened to that guy

> > > He was the 3rd ranked player in the world, then 2 years later he was ranked 500

> > >

> >

> > Realized golf wasn't the be all and end all in his life. A couple of injuries. Lack of enthusiasm.

> > He's talked openly about it in the past. Fehrety's interview with him is pretty cool.....

>

> Then why take up spot in the field?

Because he's earned it as a past Champion.

Why do past champions take a spot in the Masters field when they don't have the game?

It's a perk of winning some tournaments. He earned it long ago.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

> @JD3 said:

> > @RainShadow said:

> > > @ghoul31 said:

> > > He was the 3rd ranked player in the world, then 2 years later he was ranked 500

> > >

> >

> > Realized golf wasn't the be all and end all in his life. A couple of injuries. Lack of enthusiasm.

> > He's talked openly about it in the past. Fehrety's interview with him is pretty cool.....

>

It’s been mentioned he wasn’t taking anyone’s spot as he qualified as past winner, no special exemption. He felt like he could compete this week and I’m sure his enthusiasm was very high. He played because he wanted to. Nothing wrong with that. I originally said after the round he should WD. But after reading his reasons for continuing I now see he was correct and I think the fans appreciated that.

In some ways he found himself in the same situation as Rory. Obviously too far out and not young enough to work his way back, he at least stuck it out and did what he could.

So I think it’s a neat story.

I don’t get these comments about he’s taking someone’s spot. If it was someone’s , then they would have been in the field.

DD is a past champion He earned his spot - tell someone to go earn theirs

It’s a tough game - for him to post and not WD says way more about him as a person , his character - I respect him even more

• Like 1

> @JD3 said:

> > @RainShadow said:

> > > @ghoul31 said:

> > >

> >

>

He's taking up HIS spot in the field.

Same old nonsense.

• Like 3

> @Lagavulin62 said:

> > @JD3 said:

> > > @RainShadow said:

> > > > @ghoul31 said:

> > > > I never understood what happened to that guy

> > > > He was the 3rd ranked player in the world, then 2 years later he was ranked 500

> > > >

> > >

> > > Realized golf wasn't the be all and end all in his life. A couple of injuries. Lack of enthusiasm.

> > > He's talked openly about it in the past. Fehrety's interview with him is pretty cool.....

> >

> > Then why take up spot in the field?

>

> It’s been mentioned he wasn’t taking anyone’s spot as he qualified as past winner, no special exemption. He felt like he could compete this week and I’m sure his enthusiasm was very high. He played because he wanted to. Nothing wrong with that. I originally said after the round he should WD. But after reading his reasons for continuing I now see he was correct and I think the fans appreciated that.

>

> In some ways he found himself in the same situation as Rory. Obviously too far out and not young enough to work his way back, he at least stuck it out and did what he could.

>

> So I think it’s a neat story.

So what is it: he has other priorities now or he thinks he can compete? Hearing both sets of excuses depending on convenience. Bottom line; hes making a fool of himself and the game. Even if he's not taking up another spot (he is), he's certainly diluting the quality and slowing up play.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @JD3 said:

> > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > > @JD3 said:

> > > > @RainShadow said:

> > > > > @ghoul31 said:

> > > > > I never understood what happened to that guy

> > > > > He was the 3rd ranked player in the world, then 2 years later he was ranked 500

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Realized golf wasn't the be all and end all in his life. A couple of injuries. Lack of enthusiasm.

> > > > He's talked openly about it in the past. Fehrety's interview with him is pretty cool.....

> > >

> > > Then why take up spot in the field?

> >

> > It’s been mentioned he wasn’t taking anyone’s spot as he qualified as past winner, no special exemption. He felt like he could compete this week and I’m sure his enthusiasm was very high. He played because he wanted to. Nothing wrong with that. I originally said after the round he should WD. But after reading his reasons for continuing I now see he was correct and I think the fans appreciated that.

> >

> > In some ways he found himself in the same situation as Rory. Obviously too far out and not young enough to work his way back, he at least stuck it out and did what he could.

> >

> > So I think it’s a neat story.

>

> So what is it: he has other priorities now or he thinks he can compete? Hearing both sets of excuses depending on convenience. Bottom line; hes making a fool of himself and the game. Even if he's not taking up another spot (he is), he's certainly diluting the quality and slowing up play.

Both. The competition part was destroyed with the disaster hole. Just unfortunate.

If you are trying to compare him playing to what happens every April, I don’t see the connection. I have no issues with him playing.

I like the guy but these are the mistakes you make when you are not playing in competition!

The golf channel should follow Monday qualifier it’s better than the shit Rich Learner puts on the station!!! If DD is playing they should constitute work! He can go really low if he starts playing!

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

Duval certainly did take up a spot in the field. Martin Kaymer was the 1st alternate and would've been in the field if not for Duval.

Now the Masters is another story. They never have a full field 156. This year they only had about 87 in the field including past winners. If one of the past winners didn't play they would've just shortened the field by one less player as there are no alternates.

Duval also withdrew after the first round 2 out of the last 3 years. If he's not going to seriously compete than he probably shouldn't take up a spot in the Open.

• Like 1

> @RainShadow said:

> > @ghoul31 said:

> > I never understood what happened to that guy

> > He was the 3rd ranked player in the world, then 2 years later he was ranked 500

> >

>

> Realized golf wasn't the be all and end all in his life. A couple of injuries. Lack of enthusiasm.

> He's talked openly about it in the past. Fehrety's interview with him is pretty cool.....

He realized golf wasn’t the be all end all because he had to. He lost his game/swing due to back injuries and also got vertigo. Back would tighten up on him and he started compensating in swing, lost his game. He also got depression during this time because of failed serious relationship and golf troubles.

He gave the tour another go working with Chris o Connell prior to giving up and joining golf channel as an analyst which actually wasn’t too long ago. I watched him during this time and he put a ton of work in but didn’t work out.

> @JD3 said:

> > @RainShadow said:

> > > @ghoul31 said:

> > >

> >

>

It was his spot to begin with. He's a past champion of the event...which means he's actually at the FRONT of the line with regards to exemptions.

My guess is David is trying to just stay in touch with the guys on tour the best he can, maybe with an eye on being a team captain or vice-captain in the future.

Maybe David will give the Champions Tour a try in three years when he turns 50.

Tell the R&A to revoke the invitation that he earned. Until then he isn't taking a spot. He earned that spot.

> @snizzle said:

> Duval certainly did take up a spot in the field. Martin Kaymer was the 1st alternate and would've been in the field if not for Duval.

> Now the Masters is another story. They never have a full field 156. This year they only had about 87 in the field including past winners. If one of the past winners didn't play they would've just shortened the field by one less player as there are no alternates.

> Duval also withdrew after the first round 2 out of the last 3 years. If he's not going to seriously compete than he probably shouldn't take up a spot in the Open.