How many strokes do you think you would save if you have a caddy

monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Putting...I think people would see a big difference in strokes per round. Someone to help you with reads, keep your head in it.
Total score as well...confirming your decisions or helping you commit.
I'd say an average golfer would save about 4 strokes putting per round and 3 strokes on other shots.

Side comment...why shouldn't golfers go it alone...why do they get an assistant to help them? Wouldn't it be more fair if they got zero assistance thru the round?

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Cobra F9 Aldila NV Green 75 S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
Ball - Snell MTB-x
Pure Midsized Grips

Comments

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,283 ClubWRX

On my own course? Zero.

As to why there are caddies? Easy to find all the historical reasons and, of course, on Tour, you are required to have one. "Fair"? Makes no sense, but been argued to death over the years.

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

On my home course none. First time playing a new course, if there's some tricks to it...maybe 2-3 shots

Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

IF the caddy had really good eyesight, they could save me a lot of aggravation. "Anybody see that? Yes, it's right beside that dark green spot."

• tanker44tanker44 Members Posts: 340 ✭✭✭✭

None. Most courses are infested with out-of-shape alcoholics.
    To have a caddy would require them to walk. By the 5th hole the caddy would be performing CPR.

TM M2 2016 10.5* 
    Cobra F9 13.5* 
    Cobra Black Utility 18*
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50/54/58 
    TP Juno

• Bonneville85308Bonneville85308 Members Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Zero strokes on a course I've played before. Maybe one or two strokes on a new-to-me course if there is some kind of hidden hazard or forced carry that my GPS doesn't point out.

• Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well I wouldn't shoot 212.....

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Ocean County, NJMembers Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of strokes putting on my home course is what I expect - My 67 year old eyesite could use some help. On full shots I know what to do but cannot always execute which a caddy could not help.

• caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just because a caddy tells me where to hit it and where to putt it doesn't mean I can do it. Zero.

• LokiLoki Members Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If they really knows how to read greens on a course I have never played, maybe 3-5 shots. Some of those shots would come from where to go off the tee, however.

Of the 15 or so caddies I have had, two were really good, one was an arrogant **** at Pebble and the others couldn't read greens very well. The Irish lass at Lahinch was really good. I liked how she would point out if the putt was up or downhill if it made sense to make the statement as it isn't always obvious. She won the Irish Amateur.

• ZA206ZA206 Members Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the caddie and the course I’m on....

TM 2019 M5 460 9.0 with Tensei Pro Orange TX
    TM 2019 M5 15 3W with Tensei Pro White 70 TX 
    TM 2018 M3 19 & 22 Rescue Hybrids with Fujikura Atmos Blue TS-8X
    718 AP2 (5-PW) with AMT White X100's
    TM 50, 56 & 60 Hi Toe with S400
    TM Ghost Spider S - 34"
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't used a caddie often enough to even take a good guess. Only during special rounds typically on new courses.

For the pros though since walking is vital to professional play I'm not sure why they shouldn't have to tote their own equipment? Not dying for a change but I'd be OK with it.

Got to think golfers, and sponsors both may see some opportunities.

• raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Two to three strokes.
    Two strokes on a ball that would be lost that I wouldn't bother to look for. Maybe a stroke all in everywhere else.

• ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

None. I seriously think pro's should play without them too, use a range finder and study the course. I think it could actually speed up play sometimes too.Too much back and forth about wind direction, club selection, this and that... see your therapist after the round. Just shoot the distance and hit the **** ball already.

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know why the “go it alone” comment comes up so often. Would you like to see the first and third base coaches go away in baseball, what about the multitude of coaches in football? A tour caddie’s most valuable asset is controlling the crowd and tv people as his player plays golf. They discuss club and shot selection but almost all tour players could talk to themselves and arrive at the same decision. Keeping the gallery idiots off their phones and aware that golf is being played is their biggest task.

@monkeyboy said:
    Putting...I think people would see a big difference in strokes per round. Someone to help you with reads, keep your head in it.
    I'd say an average golfer would save about 4 strokes putting per round and 3 strokes on other shots.

Side comment...why shouldn't golfers go it alone...why do they get an assistant to help them? Wouldn't it be more fair if they got zero assistance thru the round?

• larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I consider the caddy I had for my Michigan Am qualifier this past year,
    Negative 4 or 5.
    lol

• phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Members Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Had a forecaddy that was required at Sawgrass. It wasn't really a help at all to be honest. I still had to hit the shots and often times the "tips" were not entirely helpful most of the time. It was more like "oh keep it left of that tree, it opens a bit more there," or "it's 160 to carry the water," not much different that a good GPS or a decent yardage book would be able to help out with or something I couldn't figure out on my own such as not trying to hit it into a tree on the right or thinking I could carry it 285 over it when I know that isn't ever going to happen.

Cobra F9 7.5 - Accra TZ5 55
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5 - Fubuki V 70
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18 - Diamana Thump 85
    Mizuno CLK 22* - Speeder 75HB
    New Level 1031 5-P - DG105 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - DG105 Black Onyx
    Bettinardi BB0 "Gotta Sting" Proto 1 of 1 
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Newport
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think the "go at it alone" comments come up often because, well, people see it as more a team effort. How many times have you heard a caddy talk a player out of a certain club selection, they tell the player where to land the ball on the green, where to aim, how fast and what direction the wind is blowing, obviously yardage, they walk the course prior to rounds to scout it out. They play the role of on course therapist/mental coach. For me all the help the caddy gives takes some of the skill away from the overall aspect of golf ie: yardage to hazards/pins, contour of greens, wind patterns, club selection...etc. Essentially all the players do is hit shots, the caddy makes all the important choices for them basically.

It would be interesting to see the players out there solo, with a range finder and a pushcart only.

• HonestPlayerHonestPlayer Members Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 21, 2019 9:04pm #19

5 or so per round from experience. I went on holiday once, played a course with tough greens for a few rounds. Had the local caddies reading my putts. Made it way easier knowing the reads were right as I do trust my stroke I am bad at reading both speed and line of putts, so for me it can save 5-10 putts per round depending what length putts I have.

Caddy probably makes it fairer, green reading isn't really golf as such. Hitting the ball is what I consider golf, I'd rather the best putter be winning - not reader of putts. Between player and caddy I imagine most of the time they have good to perfect reads in pro golf. I wouldn't want it becoming too much of a stamina/organisation contest either - the players would be too up against it in strong wind and rain in majors if they got no caddy - would be stupid in my opinion for a player to not be allowed a caddy.

Most birdies in a round in 2019 - 3
    Holes in ones career - 1

• ryanarnesonryanarneson Members Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

@golfandfishing said:
    I don’t know why the “go it alone” comment comes up so often. Would you like to see the first and third base coaches go away in baseball, what about the multitude of coaches in football? A tour caddie’s most valuable asset is controlling the crowd and tv people as his player plays golf. They discuss club and shot selection but almost all tour players could talk to themselves and arrive at the same decision. Keeping the gallery idiots off their phones and aware that golf is being played is their biggest task.

@monkeyboy said:

Less coaches in baseball? Yes.
    Less coaches in football? Abso-freaking-lutely.
    Football is the most over-coached embarrassment out there.

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,725 ClubWRX

Might save a few strokes a round if and only if they could read putts substantially better than I do. Otherwise, meh.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • Optimus-ParOptimus-Par Transform, and roll putts. Members Posts: 621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not so much a caddie to save me strokes, but perhaps some spectators positioned about 280 off the tee to point out my ball once I get up there. I always have jealous feelings for the tour guys when they have a multitude of people looking for their ball.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]~ What's in my bag is more than meets the eye ~[/font]
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Played with and without, same course. Caddies are overrated. Just like celebrity events of any kind, cucumber sandwiches, 30 SPF sunscreen, Kevin Bacon, the opening ceremonies at the Olympics, performance golf socks, foie gras, pro football and tanning salons.

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

On an unfamiliar course, let's say playing a links courses while on a golf vacation in UK, having some way not to be totally blind about the best way to play each hole is very valuable. And I have trouble deriving that from a StrokeSaver or yardage book.

But for me, playing alongside a couple other golfers who know their way around the course is equally helpful to hiring a caddie. At one of the Open Rota courses that I've played a few times, there very first time I arranged to play with a guy who knew the course like the back of his hand. I asked him not to give me caddie-like advice but simply to hit his shots before me on every hole so I could see where he was aiming and what happened when the ball landed.

I found that much less distracting than typical caddie palaver and simply seeing his tee shots head off in a certain direction gave me a visual image of what needed doing. A couple times he hit shots and said, "That's a little too far left" or whatever which also helped.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Oriolesfan138Oriolesfan138 Members Posts: 37 ✭✭

As someone who likes to get out early and play alone, a forecaddie would def help. Those mornings when the sun is coming up and the dew is still on the grass, can make it hard to find a ball even a few yards off the fairway.

Depending on the caddy and the course, I would think 1-2 strokes on the greens if they are really familiar with them. Those times when you just totally misread, the caddy could help. I know I’ve had times on courses I’ve only played a few times where I swear it’s going one way, only to have it break hard the opposite direction. Could save a 3 putt on those occasions.

I don’t think I’d save any strokes off the tee and maybe occasionally on an approach if he knew the slope of the green that I couldn’t see clearly from the fairway.

• SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Members Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now? 0. My putter stroke is broken at the moment so it wouldn't matter. If I get that squared away, I would guess 2-3 shots. Even when I'm putting decent, I don't think my execution is currently at the level where a caddie would save me much.

Cobra King F8 Driver  Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (15.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid (19 degree setting)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Red X3 (34")
  • MountainKingMountainKing Members Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

None, I know my game and between range finder and gps I can get my yardages and lines.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
    Taylormade Stage 2 HL Accra FX 300
    Callaway Razr Tour Hybrid 19* Nunchuk
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100
    Tour Preferred 50/54 S400
    TM HI Toe 58 ATV S400
    TM Itsy Bitsy

• P.E.P.E. Members Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

On a course in Scotland or England with bunkers not visible from the tee or huge greens probably at least 6 strokes.

• kobe123kobe123 Golf Is A Way Of Life Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Optimus-Par said:
    Not so much a caddie to save me strokes, but perhaps some spectators positioned about 280 off the tee to point out my ball once I get up there. I always have jealous feelings for the tour guys when they have a multitude of people looking for their ball.

This is 100% right. The ability to find a ball in 3 minutes is insane. ****, sometimes I can't find mine in the first cut.

• SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Only time I want a caddy is on a new course, more for off the tee and approach shots. Home course after a year you shouldn't need any help.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Members Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably at least one stroke per hole which would put my scoring average to about 61.xx or so. I think I should get a caddy!!!

In all honesty it probably wouldn't save me any strokes other than when I hit a wayward tee shot and the can somehow always locate it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file