Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

How many strokes do you think you would save if you have a caddy

2»

Comments

• Shades234Shades234 San DiegoMembers Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Would help to not have to carry/push my bag on hilly 36 hole days. Ran out of gas on the back 9 of my US Am qualifier. I wasn't in contention, but there was a huge difference between my first 27 or so holes and the final 9. When my miss off the tee shifts from a push to a pull, I know I'm spent.

• PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Home course - zero
    Most courses - 3 to 5
    Kiawah Ocean Course - I’d say 10 strokes easily.
    Royal Portrush - I’ll let you know in a few weeks, assuming I don’t run out of golf balls.

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Really depends on the course and how much you know it already. Flat munis or your home course(s) likely almost no benefit. Target golf type courses where you need to know where to miss could be quite a few

• gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had a walking caddie in April at TPC sawgrass and he thought I could swing out of the rough and advance the ball like pros. I always wanted to chip out but he was like you got this. So for me, a caddie added strokes to my game. Perhaps it depends on the caddie though. I asked for a good one and maybe i didn’t.

• LefthookLefthook Golf nerd Members Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the “tourist” caddies are only good for carrying the clubs. But if you get a good one at e.g Old Course it will be very helpful.

I accidentally was set up with a forcaddy once - that was quite useful. On every hole he run 250 yards down to spot where the tee shot ended.

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

On a brand new course with a better player, I could see it saving 4 or 5 strokes. With GPS apps, it's not too hard to tell where you can't miss on your own, but things like putting would be helped a good amount I imagine, and also on approached, having a caddie to let you know of any false fronts or tiers you can't make out by naked eye would help, too.

For a hack like me, caddie probably would not make a huge difference. Maybe 1 or 2 strokes I'd guess. Not worth the money unless it was part of green fee.

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero 9* | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    '16 M1 Tour Issue 16* | Diamana B 70X
    '17 M1 Tour Issue 3h or GAPR Lo | Accra TZ6 M5
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Bettinardi MC 360 Tour or Ardmore 2 
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,930 ClubWRX

Depends on the quality of the caddie, his or her course knowledge, ability to read greens and of course, not laugh too hard at me.

• Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience ClubWRX Posts: 3,573 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 24, 2019 8:12pm #39

@Ferguson said:
    Played with and without, same course. Caddies are overrated. Just like celebrity events of any kind, cucumber sandwiches, 30 SPF sunscreen, Kevin Bacon, the opening ceremonies at the Olympics, performance golf socks, foie gras, pro football and tanning salons.

footjoy pro dry are the best socks by far. Better than Bombas and any other higher end sock... they are so good that i only wear prodry's unless i am wearing a suit or slacks

• JDCONJDCON PrincetonMembers Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭

If it's a caddy like in Caddyshack... about 12 strokes.

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Only guessing. On St. Andrews or the like maybe seven strokes per 18. But stateside or any of the upscale courses I frequent caddies are an almost costly remnant of golfs past. When I walk my pushcart carries the bag and my Garmin handles yardage. The only aspect that is unfortunate is as caddies disappear so do those beginner jobs for kids.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, PX HZRDUS Red 75
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• SomedayScratchSomedayScratch Members Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say on average... less than 1 stroke but more than 0 strokes. A typical round in the -3 to +2 strokes range. Even half a stroke per round is potentially worth hundreds of thousands or more for a PGA pro.

They aren't going to make you better every round; some you'll play the exact same, some you'll you make the right play because of them, others you'll make the wrong play because of them. Overall, over the long haul, if you have a caddy that knows what they are doing, you'll gain a little bit of an advantage. But nothing too crazy. Not the several strokes other are suggesting, unless you are an inexperienced player.

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 25, 2019 4:13pm #43

@Gamble Gamble said:

@Ferguson said:
    Played with and without, same course. Caddies are overrated. Just like celebrity events of any kind, cucumber sandwiches, 30 SPF sunscreen, Kevin Bacon, the opening ceremonies at the Olympics, performance golf socks, foie gras, pro football and tanning salons.

footjoy pro dry are the best socks by far. Better than Bombas and any other higher end sock... they are so good that i only wear prodry's unless i am wearing a suit or slacks

The footjoy socks do not pill. I will give you that.
    Mrs. Ferguson and i are runners. She more than I ( a lot more).

For golf and running we prefer Belega.

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

known course -- maybe 1-2
    unknown course -- could be as much as 4-6

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 4-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The one I had at Pebble saved me 3 or 4 strokes at least. He figured out my distances in the first couple of holes and after that the strategy he advised for every hole was spot on. The one I had at Westchester CC cost me 5: his reads on the greens we atrocious ( often wrong side of the hole ) and he kept having me hit to bad spots. It all depends on the caddy.

I was a caddy in my teens and early 20's. If you were nice, I was good, but jerks I cost strokes with things like reads being a 1/2 inch off. I carried a lot of doubles, so sometimes I was helping one and hurting the other. Having been a caddy, I try to be nice to them even when they are worthless.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
  • BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members Posts: 424 ✭✭✭✭

@kobe123 said:

@Optimus-Par said:
    Not so much a caddie to save me strokes, but perhaps some spectators positioned about 280 off the tee to point out my ball once I get up there. I always have jealous feelings for the tour guys when they have a multitude of people looking for their ball.

This is 100% right. The ability to find a ball in 3 minutes is insane. ****, sometimes I can't find mine in the first cut.

I second this! My caddy at Bandon was insane at finding balls. It's not like he was standing in the fairway either, he'd be on the tee with us and just confidently say that he'd find it.

Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-GW
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Scotty Cameron
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe .5 to 1 stroke on a course I know well. I play allot of competitive 2 man best ball matches over the year. You essentially act as each others caddie (except for carrying clubs and raking bunkers). I tend to play a bit better in this format and part of it is the second set of eyes, and talking about shots etc. On the putting green I notice it most. IF you have a good partner(caddie) you know well, have them confirm a read you may be unsure of helps with a more confident stroke.

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SNIPERBBB said:
    Only time I want a caddy is on a new course, more for off the tee and approach shots. Home course after a year you shouldn't need any help.

Lots of people are posting something along this lines. My home course I have played 1000 times at least. I can read the break of putts as my approach shot lands, but I still misread putts all the time when it comes to the specific detail.

I also assume we are talking about a pga style caddie - someone you know well, can trust and work with.

• sirparalotsirparalot Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 25, 2019 9:32pm #49

My most recent caddie experience at Harbor Town saved me 3-4 strokes. He knew where to drive the ball and where to miss the incredibly small greens to have a chance at saving par. Cant say he did much for me on the greens.

• b.mattayb.mattay New WRX'er Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few for sure.

2017 M1 (8.25, Grafalloy Blue 65X, Z-Cord)

King LTD (14.5, Grafalloy Blue 75X, Z-Cord)

Sonartec GS Tour (18, Fujikura 370, Z-Cord)

714 AP2 (4-9, X100, Z-Cord, 1 Degree Flat)

SM6 (46.08F, 50.12F, 55.15F, 60.12V, S400, Z-Cord, 1 Degree Flat)

Rossa Corza (P2 Reflex, Counterweight [50g], 34”)
  • lhahnlhahn Members Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 26, 2019 6:21am #51

@Ferguson said:

Replace foie gras with truffles and you're 100% correct.
    As to the OP's question, assuming my home course and the caddie knew me and my game/yardages/tendencies inside out, maybe a stroke a round (+/- one).

2018 Tour Issue M4 8.2* - Copperhead 70TX
    2016 Tour Issue M2 14.1*
    Mizuno MP 68 - 4-PW
    TM 54*
    TM Hi-Toe 64*
    Yamada Emperor 33"
    TP5X
  • LefthookLefthook Golf nerd Members Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you get someone like Ken Ventury - and struggle off the tee - you will save a few strokes. When Venturi caddied he checked which ball the player was using and brought with him a few. So there was never a lost ball and never an impossible lie in the woods. I bet he could read putts too.

• JRSJRS Members Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭

last time out my caddy cost me 5 thousand pounds. anyone know where i can get a sleeve of slazenger #1's?

• rb2golfrb2golf New YorkMembers Posts: 22 ✭✭

Depends on the caddie. A friend who knows your game and is of same or better playing ability as you could be invaluable, especially in tournament play. For a lot of Am events here in the Northeast, you have to walk 36 holes a day, up and down super hilly courses. Not only does that require a lot of physical energy, when you're tired you make bad decisions. Talking through each shot with a caddy is like having a proofreader. They also can eliminate the amount of decisions you have to make, like picking out a target for instance. Allowing you to tune out a bit more and go into flow state / autopilot.

A lot of courses I play require caddies. Some are good, some are bad. That high school or college kid with a 14 handicap looking for a summer job, won't be reading my putts for me. The more seasoned the better typically, unless they're just overworked, which many of them are. The better the course, the better the caddy program typically. And if you're a guest, chances are you're going to get the lowest caddy in the pool. Members and those with regular games and who request regular caddies, develop a relationship with their caddy that can last for years. In some cases, they can help them land business deals, win big money when playing $100/hole or something crazy like that, and just overall making them feel confident that they can bring their associates to the course without looking like a fool. To those people, caddies are an essential part of the golf experience. I caddied at a place like that when I was younger, and it was literally the best job I've ever had.

Mostly I just have caddies carry the bag, but if you're going to use them for reads and stuff, then I'd say it helps you about 10% of the time. It hurts you the other 90% because only you can marry the line to speed. I only call them in when I really don't know which way it goes. And only if they seem like they know what they're doing. I'm also a guest of the place usually so don't typically get the better caddies at the club.

Hope this helps. :smiley:

Rob

Member, MGA eClub New York City
    Driver: Titleist TS3 7.75 with 65g Accuflex Creation ProTourOnly XX
    3w: Titleist TS2 13.5 with 70g Aldila Rogue Black X
    5w: Titleist TS2 18 with 85g Evenflow T1100 White X
    4-6i: Miura CB301 with DG TI S400
    7-P: Miura MC501 with DG TI S400
    Vokey 50 F, 54 F, 62 M Jet Black with DG TI S400 Black Onyx
    Gamer: Scotty Cameron 2018 Select Laguna

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list