Non-conforming driver

LICC

All players equipment should be examined for conformity before each tournament. I'm actually kinda surprised it's not...I thought that in some shape or form, it was. Just like how NASCAR inspects cars each week.

I get the USGA has the conforming list, but there is too much money at stake each tournament. It wouldn't take much to have all equipment examined and cleared.

• Like 1

> @JaNelson38 said:

> All players equipment should be examined for conformity before each tournament. I'm actually kinda surprised it's not...I thought that in some shape or form, it was. Just like how NASCAR inspects cars each week.

>

> I get the USGA has the conforming list, but there is too much money at stake each tournament. It wouldn't take much to have all equipment examined and cleared.

Looks like much more testing is needed

The only problem I have is that they need to be telling us the numbers. He said it was very close so I'm betting it was tested on Callaway's device and it passed but didn't pass on the R&A's device. We are likely in the 1000's of point here and not even worth talking about as an advantage.

• Like 2

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I'm hear what everyone is saying about every player, every week having their clubs tested...how keen do you think the guys would be for that?! I have no idea how long it takes to do this sort of thing but I can't imagine it is a 2 minute job. In an ideal world they would do the testing but it's far from it. I mean, how many of the guys are tested on a weekly basis for drugs? What's the bigger issue?

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

It appears the R&A is full of feces and lacking in logic.

"and the R&A wouldn’t comment on other possible failures, saying only that “all drivers were conforming for the start of the championship.”

How on earth can they say they are all conforming in the championship when they only tested 30 and found 4 non conforming. They have no information on the rest of the drivers.

> @Cornwall1888 said:

> I’m sure they give tour players the hottest/borderline drivers and they can become illegal through use when the face begins to wear out and get slightly thinner

>

>

What do you think the belt sanders in the tour van are for? ;)

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

In an ideal world, they would test everyone’s drivers, wedges and urin, but there’s not enough time for that. I don’t see a problem with random testing, It’s better than nothing.

Everyone understands that there may be more nonconforming drivers out there. I don’t think it’s a good look for Xander trying to defend himself by pointing that out. He should take responsibility for himself.

> @Maximilian said:

> In an ideal world, they would test everyone’s drivers, wedges and urin, but there’s not enough time for that. I don’t see a problem with random testing, It’s better than nothing.

>

> Everyone understands that there may be more nonconforming drivers out there. I don’t think it’s a good look for Xander trying to defend himself by pointing that out. He should take responsibility for himself.

This isn't on him. It's all on Callaway. They provide all the equipment and it is up to them to make sure he has legal equipment. It's not like he went out to PGA Superstore and bought one off the rack. Callaway can add this to their off-center balls.

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

I can see how he'd have a gripe if there were 4 others that failed and only his name is outted.....That ain't right.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

> @Socrates said:

> > @Maximilian said:

> > In an ideal world, they would test everyone’s drivers, wedges and urin, but there’s not enough time for that. I don’t see a problem with random testing, It’s better than nothing.

> >

> > Everyone understands that there may be more nonconforming drivers out there. I don’t think it’s a good look for Xander trying to defend himself by pointing that out. He should take responsibility for himself.

>

> This isn't on him. It's all on Callaway. They provide all the equipment and it is up to them to make sure he has legal equipment. It's not like he went out to PGA Superstore and bought one off the rack. Callaway can add this to their off-center balls.

Totally agree with that. And if his response would have been “Oh sh!t I had no idea, sorry I’ll replace it right away”, no one would think anything about it. But since he is not saying that but instead is trying to defend himself by saying that it’s unfair that they aren’t testing everyone’s else’s equipment, is what I think is a bad look for him.

• Like 2

> @Socrates said:

> The only problem I have is that they need to be telling us the numbers. He said it was very close so I'm betting it was tested on Callaway's device and it passed but didn't pass on the R&A's device. We are likely in the 1000's of point here and not even worth talking about as an advantage.

Yes. Guaranteed this is the issue. Calibration.

Every single tour head out there is tested. The results advertised on the spec decal. And nobody wants an illegal head. This shitstorm is what that will get you.

In top of that. The head would need to be way hotter than max to even matter.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Maximilian said:

> > @Socrates said:

> > > @Maximilian said:

> > > In an ideal world, they would test everyone’s drivers, wedges and urin, but there’s not enough time for that. I don’t see a problem with random testing, It’s better than nothing.

> > >

> > > Everyone understands that there may be more nonconforming drivers out there. I don’t think it’s a good look for Xander trying to defend himself by pointing that out. He should take responsibility for himself.

> >

> > This isn't on him. It's all on Callaway. They provide all the equipment and it is up to them to make sure he has legal equipment. It's not like he went out to PGA Superstore and bought one off the rack. Callaway can add this to their off-center balls.

>

> Totally agree with that. And if his response would have been “Oh **** I had no idea, sorry I’ll replace it right away”, no one would think anything about it. But since he is not saying that but instead is trying to defend himself by saying that it’s unfair that they aren’t testing everyone’s else’s equipment, is what I think is a bad look for him.

The reason he is unhappy is because it’s so difficult to find a head that feels looks and sounds just right. When you have one you do not want to swap. Cracking the face on your gamer- honey is terrible news for a high level player. And no they can’t just pick out another one that specs the same. Driver heads are closer to snowflakes than facsimiles of each other.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Socrates said:

> > The only problem I have is that they need to be telling us the numbers. He said it was very close so I'm betting it was tested on Callaway's device and it passed but didn't pass on the R&A's device. We are likely in the 1000's of point here and not even worth talking about as an advantage.

>

> Yes. Guaranteed this is the issue. Calibration.

>

> Every single tour head out there is tested. The results advertised on the spec decal. And nobody wants an illegal head. This shitstorm is what that will get you.

>

> In top of that. The head would need to be way hotter than max to even matter.

Good point. They should be calibrating to the limit number, not the allowable tolerance.

> @Maximilian said:

> > @Socrates said:

> > > @Maximilian said:

> > > In an ideal world, they would test everyone’s drivers, wedges and urin, but there’s not enough time for that. I don’t see a problem with random testing, It’s better than nothing.

> > >

> > > Everyone understands that there may be more nonconforming drivers out there. I don’t think it’s a good look for Xander trying to defend himself by pointing that out. He should take responsibility for himself.

> >

> > This isn't on him. It's all on Callaway. They provide all the equipment and it is up to them to make sure he has legal equipment. It's not like he went out to PGA Superstore and bought one off the rack. Callaway can add this to their off-center balls.

>

> Totally agree with that. And if his response would have been “Oh **** I had no idea, sorry I’ll replace it right away”, no one would think anything about it. But since he is not saying that but instead is trying to defend himself by saying that it’s unfair that they aren’t testing everyone’s else’s equipment, is what I think is a bad look for him.

He outed the other manufactures in his most recent interview. PXG and Taylormade had failures as well. He is really not handling this well, you would think his agent or someone would step in and try and handle the PR because it just keeps getting worse.

First of all this is complete amateur hour by Callaway. Whoever is in charge of quality control needs to be fired, then fire their boss, and their bosses boss. The only way companies like Callaway get away with huge margins and charging 2x-4x for balls, clubs, etc. is the perception of quality. Now the perception is leaking thanks to ballgate and now drivergate. The company could be history with a few more incidents like these.

Regarding random testing, it's just not feasible to test 14 clubs of every competitor, so they do random testing. Seems completely reasonable. See random drug testing in every other pro sport.

Regarding Schauffele and others found to be in violation, there need to be real consequences. If not DQ, then a huge fine, like $50,000 huge. "It's not Schauffele's fault" - in some ways that's right, but when you outsource your club making to a bunch of amateurs who can't follow spec, that's what happens.

Regarding "the club was just over the edge of conforming", it's irrelevant. Illegal is illegal, you can't excuse this behavior because next time the bar will be pushed a little more until action is taken.

Shame on Callaway.

> @tw_focus said:

> First of all this is complete amateur hour by Callaway. Whoever is in charge of quality control needs to be fired, then fire their boss, and their bosses boss. The only way companies like Callaway get away with huge margins and charging 2x-4x for balls, clubs, etc. is the perception of quality. Now the perception is leaking thanks to ballgate and now drivergate. The company could be history with a few more incidents like these.

> Regarding random testing, it's just not feasible to test 14 clubs of every competitor, so they do random testing. Seems completely reasonable. See random drug testing in every other pro sport.

> Regarding Schauffele and others found to be in violation, there need to be real consequences. If not DQ, then a huge fine, like $50,000 huge. "It's not Schauffele's fault" - in some ways that's right, but when you outsource your club making to a bunch of amateurs who can't follow spec, that's what happens.

> Regarding "the club was just over the edge of conforming", it's irrelevant. Illegal is illegal, you can't excuse this behavior because next time the bar will be pushed a little more until action is taken.

> Shame on Callaway.

Couldn't disagree more with this post.

• Like 2

> @tw_focus said:

> First of all this is complete amateur hour by Callaway. Whoever is in charge of quality control needs to be fired, then fire their boss, and their bosses boss. The only way companies like Callaway get away with huge margins and charging 2x-4x for balls, clubs, etc. is the perception of quality. Now the perception is leaking thanks to ballgate and now drivergate. The company could be history with a few more incidents like these.

> Regarding random testing, it's just not feasible to test 14 clubs of every competitor, so they do random testing. Seems completely reasonable. See random drug testing in every other pro sport.

> Regarding Schauffele and others found to be in violation, there need to be real consequences. If not DQ, then a huge fine, like $50,000 huge. "It's not Schauffele's fault" - in some ways that's right, but when you outsource your club making to a bunch of amateurs who can't follow spec, that's what happens.

> Regarding "the club was just over the edge of conforming", it's irrelevant. Illegal is illegal, you can't excuse this behavior because next time the bar will be pushed a little more until action is taken.

> Shame on Callaway.

$50,000 is nothing for most of these guys. Meaningful penalty is suspension (not saying that is justified here, just pointing out what is significant for these guys).

I always love the NBA guy making north of $20 mil that gets fined $10-$20k for saying something....

> @tw_focus said:

>

From your Tiger posts here I imagine you would be singing a much different tune if Tiger's driver that was part of this R&A testing was "just over the edge of conforming". You would defend him to the death.

• Like 1

> @tw_focus said:

> Shame on Callaway.

All extremely hard to say without any numbers and facts. Suppose the callaway test process is independently certified , and the Rand As isn’t ? Then what ? Who’s machines are out of calibration. Point. We do not know.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The thing that he's actually pissed about is that the test is supposed to be confidential and 3 other drivers tested over, yet somehow other players knew about his and only his driver failing and were giving him shit for it. I'm with Xander on this one.

> @Maximilian said:

> > @Socrates said:

> > > @Maximilian said:

> > >

> >

>

• Like 2

> @tw_focus said:

> Shame on Callaway.

You're saying it's XS fault for signing with Callaway because he should have known they were a bunch of amateurs who can't build to spec?

Yeah, man. Totally reasonable take there. ?

• Like 1

> @Maximilian said:

> > @Socrates said:

> > > @Maximilian said:

> > >

> >

>

You might want to look up all of his comments on the incident. Also people most certainly would still be saying something about it.

> @tw_focus said:

> Shame on Callaway.

Yes fire everyone before the whole ship goes down.

Why would you test every club?

Have you ever seen the specs sticker on tour clubs? Do you think every player should have their own testing equipment at home?

Shame on people who don't understand things and demand public executions for littering.

> @tw_focus said:

> Shame on Callaway.

There. I fixed it for you. Now you don't sound like the guys on Fox News.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Maximilian said:

> > > @Socrates said:

> > > > @Maximilian said:

> > > > In an ideal world, they would test everyone’s drivers, wedges and urin, but there’s not enough time for that. I don’t see a problem with random testing, It’s better than nothing.

> > > >

> > > > Everyone understands that there may be more nonconforming drivers out there. I don’t think it’s a good look for Xander trying to defend himself by pointing that out. He should take responsibility for himself.

> > >

> > > This isn't on him. It's all on Callaway. They provide all the equipment and it is up to them to make sure he has legal equipment. It's not like he went out to PGA Superstore and bought one off the rack. Callaway can add this to their off-center balls.

> >

> > Totally agree with that. And if his response would have been “Oh **** I had no idea, sorry I’ll replace it right away”, no one would think anything about it. But since he is not saying that but instead is trying to defend himself by saying that it’s unfair that they aren’t testing everyone’s else’s equipment, is what I think is a bad look for him.

>

> The reason he is unhappy is because it’s so difficult to find a head that feels looks and sounds just right. When you have one you do not want to swap. Cracking the face on your gamer- honey is terrible news for a high level player. And no they can’t just pick out another one that specs the same. **Driver heads are closer to snowflakes than facsimiles of each othe**r.

Isn't that the truth. You go to a demo day and you find a driver that you stripe. You order the "same" driver, and it is nowhere close. That's why the pros might try 10, 15 heads, maybe more, when they get fit for a new driver.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse