Do You Wish PGA Was in August?

SCalGolferSCalGolfer Members Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

Do you wish the PGA was in August? There are no more majors until April. There is no Ryder Cup or important tournaments for eight months. It is what it is. I don't see them moving it back.

Comments

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

no

May is much better for golf than August.

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No.
    We have the Presidents Cup.

• SCalGolferSCalGolfer Members Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 21, 2019 7:21pm #4

@Roadking2003 said:
    No.
    We have the Presidents Cup.

I'd be curious as to how many people watch that tournament. Myself I only watch the Ryder.

• widow-makerwidow-maker Members Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I liked it better in August, but as long as they're committed to the playoff setup they've instituted, things aren't going to change. They've tried to cram everything into a 4.5 month window and it doesn't work all that well because the modern player is taking so many weeks off from playing to stay fresh that the secondary tournaments have really suffered. I personally think they should have scheduled the playoffs for late September into October (after Ryder Cup) with a week off between each event. The PGA could have moved later into August and with the schedule spread out more, the better players would have played in more summer events to stay sharp.

The Playoffs aren't that big a deal to most viewers but if they didn't cram them in I think being later in the season would fill a void for those that do enjoy watching golf. Post Ryder Cup through even Thanksgiving is a period of the golf calendar that the Playoffs could have as their own instead of trying to artificially shove everything into a time period that really doesn't fit.

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes but I'm willing to be open minded about this new schedule. Didn't agree with the change or the reasons for doing it but I understood why they did it.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • snizzlesnizzle Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 21, 2019 7:54pm #9

In actuality the last major ended only 3 weeks earlier this year compared to past years. The Players, which they are calling a so called "major" is in 8 months which has been the typical wait time between the PGA and Masters.
    With that said the corporate sponsor$ drive these decisions. Not much we fans can do about it. I'm still bummed they took the WGC from Akron and moved it to Memphis because of FedEx.

• 2over2over Members Posts: 196 ✭✭✭

I like seeing them all in the four month window. And I like the Open last, it's the oldest one and for me most fun to watch. Good way to end the major season. The FedEx and Ryder and President's Cup are a different golf season and quite interesting in their own right. Golf season lasts longer than any other major sport anyway.

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • DrivingChampDrivingChamp Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭✭

@SCalGolfer said:
    Do you wish the PGA was in August? There are no more majors until April. There is no Ryder Cup or important tournaments for eight months. It is what it is. I don't see them moving it back.

You’re not excited about the fedex cup!

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

no ... there's no difference between the two schedules, as has been pointed out ... eventually fedex won't sponsor the 'playoffs', so maybe we'll get lucky and not have to deal with that crap, but the pga is fine where it is ...

• bullie76bullie76 Members Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 21, 2019 8:55pm #14

No. There is still the FedEx to watch and Presidents cup. At this point I slowly lose interest in viewing golf anyway. I start looking forward to football season. I still play golf in the Fall but only during the week. I'm fine with the new schedule.

My senior bag.......
    Cleveland SL290  9 * driver stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 13* 3 wood reg
    Adams TL2 - FW 16* 4 wood  reg
    Callaway Rogue X 4,5,6,7 hybrids reg
    Ping G 7-pw(power lofts) CFS graphite reg
    Ping Glide 52, 58* reg
    Ping anser g5i putter
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,720 ClubWRX

No.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 21, 2019 9:45pm #16

Its pretty ok this way even though august for pga was a little better.
    Worse that the playoffs are early and fewer.

It really depends on the year. 2016 was terrible with Firestone, PGA, Playoffs, RC and the olympics logjammed. But this year I suppose the autumn will be pretty bleak. 2020 will be OK if they use this years schedule and add RC+ Olympics.

• Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You need to find some more interests or just man up and realize the season is over. Everything has a beginning and end. Yes it feels like the Monday after a looooong vacation. But you would still feel the same thing this time next month. So go hug your wife, tell her you love her, and y'all watch a movie tonight. It's going to be ok and before you know it it will be golf season again.

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,281 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 21, 2019 10:06pm #18

Yes, but I doubt anyone's answers are much different than they've been the other 100 times it's come up.

Presidents Cup mid-December pretty dumb, but whatever. I don't watch much of it anyway, probably the most I've watched was the last time it was in Australia at Royal Melbourne, I believe, but too tired to look it up.

• LICCLICC Members Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. The time from start to finish including the Players is about the same. The PGA goes from almost an afterthought in August to a greatly anticipated event in May. And the FedEx playoffs gives us some great tournaments with all the top players, giving us compelling golf at least once a month from March to August, and then the Cups in September/October and every four years the Olympics. I don’t see what some people are complaining about.

• Railroading13Railroading13 NebraskaMembers Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭

The schedule fits ok. IMO the "5th major" now is the Tour Championship. It means the Fedex title and pays out 10 million. I bet if you polled every player and fan and asked - what would you rather win, a Players or the Tour Championship, the TC would win in a landslide.

WITB

Cobra King LTD 9.5 Fujikura Pro 73 X
    Cobra Bio Cell 14.5 Diamana D+ 80 X
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 18.5 Diamana Ahina 80X
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4-5 KBS Tour 130X
    Mizuno MP18 SC 6-PW KBS Tour 130X
    Mizuno S18  52 degrees
    Mizuno T5  56 and 61
    Odyssey O Works 7s W/ Superstroke 50G counterweight
  • Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think this schedule could work better in Ryder Cup years, 2016 was a complete headwreck with the PGA moved up a few weeks because of the Olympics, the whole first Olympics thing, then the Fed Ex Cup in the middle of it all, everybody was nearly wrecked by the Ryder Cup. Next year has the potential for a good build-up to the Ryder Cup, it is given space to breathe rather than being stuck on after the Tour Championship.

• JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SCalGolfer said:

The weather in America largely dictates the schedule the PGA Tour has. There isnt much around the fact that it's basically impossible to play in the south during the summer, and that golf season is at its peak in Florida in February/March.

• Tepop84Tepop84 Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

@Lagavulin62 said:
    You need to find some more interests or just man up and realize the season is over. Everything has a beginning and end. Yes it feels like the Monday after a looooong vacation. But you would still feel the same thing this time next month. So go hug your wife, tell her you love her, and y'all watch a movie tonight. It's going to be ok and before you know it it will be golf season again.

Nope. This is prime golf season in the northeast and now the major season is done. It’s incredibly stupid of the pga tour.

• hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah but then Amazon will take over sponsorship and make cities all over the country give up every first born son in a competition to see who hosts the playoff events and then give it to some city that doesn't even care about it in the least.

@tiderider said:
    no ... there's no difference between the two schedules, as has been pointed out ... eventually fedex won't sponsor the 'playoffs', so maybe we'll get lucky and not have to deal with that crap, but the pga is fine where it is ...

• JK WardJK Ward Members Posts: 55 ✭✭

Not with the way it has been scheduled the last few years. It was too close to the Open, in my opinion. The last two years, only two tournaments separated the two majors, and one was the WGC-Bridgestone. During the Olympic year, only one tournament separated the two. As long as the FedEx cup and Olympics are on the schedule, it almost had to be moved.

• gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wish the US Open was in late August as the culminating event of the year.

To heck with the Fed-X Cup.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • woods991woods991 believelandClubWRX Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

yes I almost feel that golf is over for the year, I feel like I barely played enough rounds. Presidents Cup has never attracted enough traction for good ratings, the Ryder Cup now is a different story. As far as the playoffs, again was exciting last year because of Tiger but other than that I watch but with little interest.

Signature of Solon CC
    Ping G400 max 10.5 Tour Ad TP 6s 6 45"
    Ping g410 14.5 Tour Ad MJ 7s 43”
    Titleist 917 f2 18* Diamana  Thump 70s
    Callaway CF19 5-pw KBS C-Taper Lite 105
    Taylormade 50*, 55*, 60* Milled Grind Wedge Tour Only Nippon NS Pro WV 125S
    Evnroll ER9 Superstroke ultra slim 1.0p 33”
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I understand people saying it’s too short now, but it is cool to see the British assume the role of Glory’s Last Shot.

8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In all honestly, I would rather it was in August but if we are talking about what we wished for, I think it would be even better if it were in February or September, October or even November. Let's make the golf season longer not shorter.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,281 ClubWRX

@Railroading13 said:
    The schedule fits ok. IMO the "5th major" now is the Tour Championship. It means the Fedex title and pays out 10 million. I bet if you polled every player and fan and asked - what would you rather win, a Players or the Tour Championship, the TC would win in a landslide.

Many have chosen other events such as the Memorial over The Players when asked about prestige and their preferences.

• golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:
    Yes. Heck I wish the open was in August and the pga in October.

Sure, CBS is going to forgo all NFL coverage in the middle of October for the PGA Championship.

This is a TV thing folks. Nothing more, nothing less. As long as there is a FED EX Cup, no matter how ridiculous you may find it, this is the way it is now. They want as many eyeballs on the TV set as possible and they can't get that going up against football, both College and NFL in September.

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights