Do You Wish PGA Was in August?

Comments

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I just posted this on another thread but it is appropriate here as well. Cuss and discuss.

IMO the PGA needs a solid identity. It can have it if it would:
    1) Be held in August in the hottest part of the year most places. Be a true grit-fest. Survive the course and the heat.
    2) Be played in the middle of the US with a defined rotation of courses - Crooked Stick, Southern Hills, Bellerive, Valhala, Hazeltine, Oakland Hills, Medinah, Inverness, etc. Traditional parkland type layouts.
    3) Be set up harder than your average tour event but without stupid narrow fairways and rough (not a US Open set up) just hard hole locations and tight and fast fairways.

To go along with number one, you have to have it in August to give the PGA Professionals a fighting chance. Some of these guys their clubs haven't been open a whole month in April. There needs to be more of them in the field too. Could that bring the overall SOF down? Maybe, probably. But do you want the 150th ranked guy on tour in or would you rather give a guy a chance to be a story in the tournament? I would think TV wants the story.

Last thing, put that gap between The Masters and the US Open back in there. The Players can slide right in there and we can still have a hearty discussion about a fifth major (though I don't think it is).

Flow is good. Rhythm is good. This season has had neither. Felt like a sprint. Like we were rushing golf through instead of taking the time to build anticipation and enjoy the tournaments along the way.
    I like the defined "swings." The West Coast/Early Season swing, the Florida Swing, the Texas Swing, the East Coast Swing. I think this makes it easier for the players to play more events because the travel is less demanding and it really makes it seem like a Tour of tournaments, not just random tournaments sprinkled about.

• LICCLICC Members Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PGA has 4th rung status among general golf fans. And while generally all PGA Tour events are held at well-conditioned good courses, the other majors usually are held at outstanding, best-in-the-world at the highest level courses (the USGA had a few missed but usually has incredible venues). The PGA? It's gotten better courses in its rotation but does Quail Hollow, Trump Bedminster, Valhalla, Bellerive, Hazeltine, Atlanta Athletic Club, etc. really make you think of the best courses in the world?
    The PGA in May elevates its status and opens up more courses that it can use.

• cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 22, 2019 4:17pm #34

@Hawkeye77 said:

@Railroading13 said:
    The schedule fits ok. IMO the "5th major" now is the Tour Championship. It means the Fedex title and pays out 10 million. I bet if you polled every player and fan and asked - what would you rather win, a Players or the Tour Championship, the TC would win in a landslide.

Many have chosen other events such as the Memorial over The Players when asked about prestige and their preferences.

“I’d rather win a tournament with a smaller purse, weaker field, fewer exemptions, fewer OWGR and Fedex Cup points”. Said who?

• Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 22, 2019 4:26pm #35

@cdnglf said:

@Hawkeye77 said:

@Railroading13 said:
    The schedule fits ok. IMO the "5th major" now is the Tour Championship. It means the Fedex title and pays out 10 million. I bet if you polled every player and fan and asked - what would you rather win, a Players or the Tour Championship, the TC would win in a landslide.

Many have chosen other events such as the Memorial over The Players when asked about prestige and their preferences.

“I’d rather win a tournament with a smaller purse, weaker field, fewer exemptions, fewer OWGR and Fedex Cup points”. Said who?

Yeah, but Sawgrass isn’t “Jack’s Place”. “Jack’s Place” is more prestigious. Just ask the man himself.

8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lagavulin62 said:
    You need to find some more interests or just man up and realize the season is over. Everything has a beginning and end. Yes it feels like the Monday after a looooong vacation. But you would still feel the same thing this time next month. So go hug your wife, tell her you love her, and y'all watch a movie tonight. It's going to be ok and before you know it it will be golf season again.

I'm sorry, did winter come early? Did I fall asleep and wake up in the middle of November?

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

@Railroading13 said:

Examples?

• LokiLoki Members Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like that Wisconsin-Minnesota have lost the chance to hold a major.

I am done watching golf for the year, except maybe the Pres. Cup.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,616 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 23, 2019 12:40am #39

@golfer07840 said:

@Lagavulin62 said:
    You need to find some more interests or just man up and realize the season is over. Everything has a beginning and end. Yes it feels like the Monday after a looooong vacation. But you would still feel the same thing this time next month. So go hug your wife, tell her you love her, and y'all watch a movie tonight. It's going to be ok and before you know it it will be golf season again.

I'm sorry, did winter come early? Did I fall asleep and wake up in the middle of November?

Nope just the middle of July. And it’s over. There’s the pres cup blowout to look forward to later I guess. Lol. Maybe a 50/50 shot that the Fedex final isn’t a snooze fest decided before it begins.

Or did they change that format to something contrived in an effort to being on some artificial drama ? I can’t remember if that idea about evening up the scores on the final day passed or not ?

Edit - yes the Fedex cup is now a handicapped event. Hard pass.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 23, 2019 1:13am #40

Yes. I don’t like the new schedule at all. Moving The Players back to March has been the only thing I’ve liked.

• Need4spdNeed4spd Members Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I do. Call me a traditionalist but I liked the schedule the way it was.

In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 S
    TaylorMade M2 15° Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 75 6.0
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 F4
    Callaway Apex Pro (19’) 4-PW KBS Tour $-Taper 120 S
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.12D KBS Tour FLT 120 S
    Toulon Design Columbus
    TaylorMade TP5X 
    edited Jul 23, 2019 1:48am #42

@Need4spd said:
    Yes, I do. Call me a traditionalist but I liked the schedule the way it was.

Having the PGA last and in August was so anticlimactic. Feinstein has it right.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-open-championship-is-the-right-way-to-end-the-major-season

• george49george49 ClubWRX Posts: 270 ClubWRX

Yes, other wise Tiger has no shot of winning in cooler May temps.

• LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I clicked on this thread, I expected it to be from 2016 when the PGA was played in July. Y’all act like the PGA has been in August for 200 years. Y’all must have forgot.

• SCalGolferSCalGolfer Members Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

@cdnglf said:

@Hawkeye77 said:

@Railroading13 said:

They play in Jack's tournament - the best player ever to live (debatably). He's not getting any younger. The Memorial is right there with the Players, which is overrated IMO. It's played in a swamp.

• KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

@Loki said:

Whistling Straits had has the Ryder Cup next year and Hazeltine will be getting it's second Ryder Cup in 12 years in 2028, so the PGA of America sure likes going back to those two courses.

• buckeye440buckeye440 Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 23, 2019 3:20am #47

@snizzle said:
    I'm still bummed they took the WGC from Akron and moved it to Memphis because of FedEx.

Yup. I always thought the players loved Firestone, guess not.

• buckeye440buckeye440 Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭✭

I think we should give it a chance before we start bitching.

• Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 23, 2019 3:48am #49

@SCalGolfer said:

@cdnglf said:

@Hawkeye77 said:

@Railroading13 said:

They play in Jack's tournament - the best player ever to live (debatably). He's not getting any younger. The Memorial is right there with the Players, which is overrated IMO. It's played in a swamp.

“They’re only into making money.”
    But.
    “They’re as much into making money.”

8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I don't like the change it's fitting to crown the Champion Golfer of the Year at the end of the Major season.

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,283 ClubWRX

@Llortamaisey said:
    When I clicked on this thread, I expected it to be from 2016 when the PGA was played in July. Y’all act like the PGA has been in August for 200 years. Y’all must have forgot.

I don't think too many people have forgotten it was shoved into July for the Olympics (and was a stupid move then). Not really relevant to the issue at hand.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,616 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@buckeye440 said:
    I think we should give it a chance before we start bitching.

We’re here now. I’m not sure how this isn’t giving it a chance. Knowing the season is done and knowing how long it is till Augusta 2020 is here. Now.

Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

@KRAMER1997 said:

@Loki said:

Whistling Straits had has the Ryder Cup next year and Hazeltine will be getting it's second Ryder Cup in 12 years in 2028, so the PGA of America sure likes going back to those two courses.

Ugh. Not that place again. How can you have a Ryder cup at a course that’s self admitted to not being designed for spectators ?

Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

• golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:

@golfer07840 said:

@Lagavulin62 said:

Nope just the middle of July. And it’s over. There’s the pres cup blowout to look forward to later I guess. Lol. Maybe a 50/50 shot that the Fedex final isn’t a snooze fest decided before it begins.

Or did they change that format to something contrived in an effort to being on some artificial drama ? I can’t remember if that idea about evening up the scores on the final day passed or not ?

Edit - yes the Fedex cup is now a handicapped event. Hard pass.

I hate that it's handicapped as well. That does suck. No other way to say it.

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Darth Putter said:
    no

May is much better for golf than August.

May better, August is a hot humid snoozefest, like Bellerive last year, and many others in prior years. ZZZzzz

edited Jul 23, 2019 1:03pm #56

@mocokid said:

@Darth Putter said:
    no

May is much better for golf than August.

May better, August is a hot humid snoozefest, like Bellerive last year, and many others in prior years. ZZZzzz

Embrace the heat.

edited Jul 23, 2019 1:07pm #57

^Things I've learned... You can only edit a post three times before you can't any longer. If you try to drag and drop an image it doesn't work. If you try to copy an image and paste it it stores the address and you can't upload it from a file after saving it.

Please delete the last two posts.

• Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@smashdn said:

^Things I've learned... You can only edit a post three times before you can't any longer. If you try to drag and drop an image it doesn't work. If you try to copy an image and paste it it stores the address and you can't upload it from a file after saving it.

Please delete the last two posts.

Actually please delete this “new and improved” look go back to the classic. So many things are difficult now.

I'm not seeing any pictures in the posts right now.

• sfigginssfiggins Members Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to see the PGA in August about 1 out of 3 years so every region of the country can host the event.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file