Spieth's problems.....??

garzargarzar Members Posts: 34 ✭✭

Can any of his current issues be traced to his really weak grip? Seems like every good player on tour these days is neutral-to-strong.

Comments

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,279 ClubWRX
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Weak grip and big chicken wing.

• chadly643chadly643 Members Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭

Matt Wolff just won an event with an absurdly weak grip. Hogan won with a weak grip. I have no idea what has happened to Spieth in these last few years. I’m sure at his level much of it is much more mental than physical. I would venture a guess McCormick has taken a look at his grip in the last year or two.

• RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Spieth used to play with a very strong grip. He had a bad miss of a dead block right with the driver. But, overall he was a good to excellent driver over the years. And his iron play was downright phenomenal.

In interviews Spieth and McCormick have talked about getting the clubface to close more/faster. My guess is that is in hopes of getting rid of the block. I tend to not agree with that concept and in particular trying to do it by weakening the grip and then trying to do it with Jordan's swing.

IMO, they need to get an accurate depiction of what is going on. He was a good-to-great driver of the ball and a phenomenal iron player. Changing his swing to get rid of an annoying miss would be something I would tread lightly on. If you can get rid of the miss...great. But if things are not really working we don't want to deviate too much from what made us incredible.

RH

• Fort Worth ProFort Worth Pro Members Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@RichieHunt said:
    Spieth used to play with a very strong grip. He had a bad miss of a dead block right with the driver. But, overall he was a good to excellent driver over the years. And his iron play was downright phenomenal.

In interviews Spieth and McCormick have talked about getting the clubface to close more/faster. My guess is that is in hopes of getting rid of the block. I tend to not agree with that concept and in particular trying to do it by weakening the grip and then trying to do it with Jordan's swing.

IMO, they need to get an accurate depiction of what is going on. He was a good-to-great driver of the ball and a phenomenal iron player. Changing his swing to get rid of an annoying miss would be something I would tread lightly on. If you can get rid of the miss...great. But if things are not really working we don't want to deviate too much from what made us incredible.

RH

When in the world did he play with a “very strong grip”? I have seen video of Jordan talking about increase in rotation of the clubface but it was in the context of something that wasn’t desirable not in something that he was wanting to do.

• Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is it his problem or is it just the PGA fields nowadays are very deep in talent?

@Tanner25 said:
    Is it his problem or is it just the PGA fields nowadays are very deep in talent?

He hit under 40% of his fairways this week. He isn’t in a good place with the driver...at all

• shortstop20shortstop20 Hit 'em straight! South DakotaMembers Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Tanner25 said:

He was the best player in the world just a few years ago. The field doesn’t change that much in 3-4 years.

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Tanner25 said:

Every ball striking stat shows that he has regressed.

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No deeper than they were a few years ago. He went from being a good driver and the best middle iron player in the world to being dreadful at both. He tried to make swing changes and it’s is not working. He got worse not better. He doesn’t seem to be injured, so it’s either mental or mechanical. Probably a bit of both at this point.

@Tanner25 said:

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

@Fort Worth Pro said:

@RichieHunt said:

RH

When in the world did he play with a “very strong grip”? I have seen video of Jordan talking about increase in rotation of the clubface but it was in the context of something that wasn’t desirable not in something that he was wanting to do.

Here's one from 2013. Looked pretty strong to me.

RH

• spineshankspineshank Charlotte, NCMembers Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

He has said that he was trying to fix something and they were doing some change. A change for the worse. Ask Kaymer how his change went.

Ping G400 LST 10*
    Taylormade M2 15*
    Callaway Apex 18*
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4-PW
    Callaway MD4 50* | 54* | 58*
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • jut111jut111 Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@RichieHunt said:

@Fort Worth Pro said:

@RichieHunt said:

RH

RH

Weird angle but pretty sure that’s not even close to strong.

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,489 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

he is searching!!!!!!!!!!!!! His stance was so wide at Portrush. I am not a fan of YJS but feel for him having lost his form
    So many of his swings appear to me that he is trying to save the shot or manipulating the club / face .. it all looks forced

Ping G410 LST 11.5* Aldila Nasty Long 60x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* X-Torsion Cu 60s
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • GolfonthemindGolfonthemind Members Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

He did an interview on No Laying UP’s Podcast recently where he went into his struggles and swing thoughts. Something along the lines of he has two or three thoughts he used from when he was playing his best and none of those are working. One of them he says he tries to rotate the club as open as possible in the backswing. I don’t think he got into why.

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,557 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

What my untrained eye sees is that he has loads more hip bend at address and is swinging on a different plane than 2015. He used to be so upright and down the line. Now ? Finishes way left and has a 2 way miss doing it.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

@jut111 said:

@RichieHunt said:

@Fort Worth Pro said:

@RichieHunt said:

RH

RH

It's not neutral and it's not weak. And it certainly doesn't look anywhere near as weak as Wolff's or Hogan's.

RH

@Golfonthemind said:

He did an interview on No Laying UP’s Podcast recently where he went into his struggles and swing thoughts. Something along the lines of he has two or three thoughts he used from when he was playing his best and none of those are working. One of them he says he tries to rotate the club as open as possible in the backswing. I don’t think he got into why.

The roll it open swing feel was what he said he felt all through 2015. In that interview he said he has never played with much face rotation and the problem is he has been “under and open” and has to square it too much. He isn’t trying to rotate it.

As to richie’s picture of his grip...that angle makes his left hand look strong. His left hand grip has always been weak and that was one of the things he liked about when he went to Cameron originally when he was a kid because cam didn’t tell him he needed to change his grip.

• iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 22, 2019 7:50pm #21

@RichieHunt said:

@jut111 said:

@RichieHunt said:

@Fort Worth Pro said:

@RichieHunt said:

RH

RH

It's not neutral and it's not weak. And it certainly doesn't look anywhere near as weak as Wolff's or Hogan's.

RH

Definitely the camera angle. It’s always been weak left hand with a stronger right hand. Here’s swing in 2012

And in 2010

• buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 22, 2019 7:59pm #22

@jut111 said:

@RichieHunt said:

@Fort Worth Pro said:

@RichieHunt said:

RH

RH

Weird angle but pretty sure that’s not even clos

• mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jut111 said:

@RichieHunt said:

@Fort Worth Pro said:

@RichieHunt said:

RH

RH

stock grip, 2.5-3 knuckles. Like lots of others, tried to 'get better' when he had the goods to get to number 1. Richie Hunt is right on.

• BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭

My guess is that it's a mental thing. Thinking back on his play over the last year a shot at the Memorial stands out for me. He blocked his driver right off the tee then went for the hero shot through a small opening that hit a tree vs punching it low. Mentally I think he needs to be smarter on the course when things aren't going right.

Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-GW
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Scotty Cameron
  • rich srich s Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if he runs his own IG account but I messaged Spieth a link to Paul Wilson’s YT channel

• ZitlowZitlow Members Posts: 314 ✭✭✭✭

He's searching for something to give him his confidence back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file