Paul Wilson golf...

Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited Jul 22, 2019 5:47am in Instruction & Academy #1

Not gonna lie, it works.

We laser a lot, and the GPS is +/- 2 yards. My previous average was 265ish. Hitting well over 280 now. Consistently.

Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla Tour Blue 75g
Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla Tour Blue
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 105
Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
TP5X

Comments

  • Lefty Light HItterLefty Light HItter Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I like the video about matching up your arm swing and your body pivot, but saying "strong is wrong" regarding your grip is pretty ridiculous. He claims if you have a strong grip and swing correctly you'll hook it terribly.

    Definitely not a coach, but I can see the correlation between rotation and how the club face closes. Rotate more, face closes slower, rotate less and face will turn over faster. For that reason it's reasonable to say someone who is wide open at impact (Dustin Johnson) probably has a stronger grip and someone with little to no rotation (Larry Rinker) probably has a pretty weak grip.

    In search of solid contact...
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Lefty Light HItter said:
    I like the video about matching up your arm swing and your body pivot, but saying "strong is wrong" regarding your grip is pretty ridiculous. He claims if you have a strong grip and swing correctly you'll hook it terribly.

    Definitely not a coach, but I can see the correlation between rotation and how the club face closes. Rotate more, face closes slower, rotate less and face will turn over faster. For that reason it's reasonable to say someone who is wide open at impact (Dustin Johnson) probably has a stronger grip and someone with little to no rotation (Larry Rinker) probably has a pretty weak grip.

    Shorten version of one on Tyler pay site but makes the key points on grip versus sternum.

  • WesquireWesquire Members Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 22, 2019 3:37pm #4

    @glk said:

    @Lefty Light HItter said:
    I like the video about matching up your arm swing and your body pivot, but saying "strong is wrong" regarding your grip is pretty ridiculous. He claims if you have a strong grip and swing correctly you'll hook it terribly.

    Definitely not a coach, but I can see the correlation between rotation and how the club face closes. Rotate more, face closes slower, rotate less and face will turn over faster. For that reason it's reasonable to say someone who is wide open at impact (Dustin Johnson) probably has a stronger grip and someone with little to no rotation (Larry Rinker) probably has a pretty weak grip.

    Shorten version of one on Tyler pay site but makes the key points on grip versus sternum.

    So the stronger the grip and/or more bow in the lead wrist, the more the sternum should be pointing forward?

    Koepka seems to have his sternum pointing down more than DJ and Rahm, and he also has a strong grip with bowing.

    Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5° (Mitsubishi CK Pro Orange 70 TX Tipped 1")
    3 Wood - Ping G 14.5° (PX HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5 Tipped 1.5")
    2 Crossover - Ping G410 17° (PX HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5)
    4-W - Ping i200 (PX 6.5)
    Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50°/55°/60° (PX 6.5)
    Putter - Directed Force
    Ball - Snell MTB-X
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Wesquire said:

    @glk said:

    @Lefty Light HItter said:
    I like the video about matching up your arm swing and your body pivot, but saying "strong is wrong" regarding your grip is pretty ridiculous. He claims if you have a strong grip and swing correctly you'll hook it terribly.

    Definitely not a coach, but I can see the correlation between rotation and how the club face closes. Rotate more, face closes slower, rotate less and face will turn over faster. For that reason it's reasonable to say someone who is wide open at impact (Dustin Johnson) probably has a stronger grip and someone with little to no rotation (Larry Rinker) probably has a pretty weak grip.

    Shorten version of one on Tyler pay site but makes the key points on grip versus sternum.

    So the stronger the grip and/or more bow in the lead wrist, the more the sternum should be pointing forward?

    Koepka seems to have his sternum pointing down more than DJ and Rahm, and he also has a strong grip with bowing.

    Watch the summary from 4:00 on - one has more options with a stronger grips.

  • WesquireWesquire Members Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 22, 2019 4:05pm #6

    @glk said:

    @Wesquire said:

    @glk said:

    @Lefty Light HItter said:
    I like the video about matching up your arm swing and your body pivot, but saying "strong is wrong" regarding your grip is pretty ridiculous. He claims if you have a strong grip and swing correctly you'll hook it terribly.

    Definitely not a coach, but I can see the correlation between rotation and how the club face closes. Rotate more, face closes slower, rotate less and face will turn over faster. For that reason it's reasonable to say someone who is wide open at impact (Dustin Johnson) probably has a stronger grip and someone with little to no rotation (Larry Rinker) probably has a pretty weak grip.

    Shorten version of one on Tyler pay site but makes the key points on grip versus sternum.

    So the stronger the grip and/or more bow in the lead wrist, the more the sternum should be pointing forward?

    Koepka seems to have his sternum pointing down more than DJ and Rahm, and he also has a strong grip with bowing.

    Watch the summary from 4:00 on - one has more options with a stronger grips.

    In the summary it says you could have a strong grip with bowing and a lot of rotation or have a more neutral wrist with less rotation. To me, it looks like Koepka has quite a big less rotation while still having significant bowing. Would you consider his wrists or grip to be more neutral than I'm thinking? I guess his lead hand is pretty neutral as far as grip goes.

    Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5° (Mitsubishi CK Pro Orange 70 TX Tipped 1")
    3 Wood - Ping G 14.5° (PX HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5 Tipped 1.5")
    2 Crossover - Ping G410 17° (PX HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5)
    4-W - Ping i200 (PX 6.5)
    Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50°/55°/60° (PX 6.5)
    Putter - Directed Force
    Ball - Snell MTB-X
  • Lefty Light HItterLefty Light HItter Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @glk said:

    @Lefty Light HItter said:
    I like the video about matching up your arm swing and your body pivot, but saying "strong is wrong" regarding your grip is pretty ridiculous. He claims if you have a strong grip and swing correctly you'll hook it terribly.

    Definitely not a coach, but I can see the correlation between rotation and how the club face closes. Rotate more, face closes slower, rotate less and face will turn over faster. For that reason it's reasonable to say someone who is wide open at impact (Dustin Johnson) probably has a stronger grip and someone with little to no rotation (Larry Rinker) probably has a pretty weak grip.

    Shorten version of one on Tyler pay site but makes the key points on grip versus sternum.

    This is what i was referring to.

    In search of solid contact...
  • Lefty Light HItterLefty Light HItter Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Also let me preface by saying I don't know Paul Wilson and he'd very likely put it on me if I played against him and he has likely made plenty of people better golfers.

    In search of solid contact...
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 22, 2019 4:32pm #9

    @Wesquire said:

    @glk said:

    @Wesquire said:

    @glk said:

    @Lefty Light HItter said:
    I like the video about matching up your arm swing and your body pivot, but saying "strong is wrong" regarding your grip is pretty ridiculous. He claims if you have a strong grip and swing correctly you'll hook it terribly.

    Definitely not a coach, but I can see the correlation between rotation and how the club face closes. Rotate more, face closes slower, rotate less and face will turn over faster. For that reason it's reasonable to say someone who is wide open at impact (Dustin Johnson) probably has a stronger grip and someone with little to no rotation (Larry Rinker) probably has a pretty weak grip.

    Shorten version of one on Tyler pay site but makes the key points on grip versus sternum.

    So the stronger the grip and/or more bow in the lead wrist, the more the sternum should be pointing forward?

    Koepka seems to have his sternum pointing down more than DJ and Rahm, and he also has a strong grip with bowing.

    Watch the summary from 4:00 on - one has more options with a stronger grips.

    In the summary it says you could have a strong grip with bowing and a lot of rotation or have a more neutral wrist with less rotation. To me, it looks like Koepka has quite a big less rotation while still having significant bowing. Would you consider his wrists or grip to be more neutral than I'm thinking? I guess his lead hand is pretty neutral as far as grip goes.

    I think Koepka has a ton of rotation (not as much as DJ and Rahm but still a lot) and bows quite a bit and grip is certainly more neutral. DJ though bowed a lot at the top by the time he gets to impact is very flat.
    Other examples of options are guys like Zach - he has a really strong grip, extends in the backswing, and flexes coming down but barely gets to flat at impact and might actually still be extended - Zach isn't known for tons of rotation - Kuchar is used as an example in the full version on Tyler's site of strong with less rotation. Na is another guy - more neutral grip but little rotation. Guys with weak grips like Spieth, Rahm really bow that lead wrist with a lot of rotation - Rod Pampling was used as an example of a weak grip with some bow but little rotation - think Pavin might fit into this pattern too.
    Said another way, a strong grip allows options in amount of bow and rotation at impact while a weak grip requires bow at impact and the amount of rotation will be dependent on how much bow one gets - lots of bow requires lots of rotation.

  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Yeah that's a terrible video. Just because he hooks it with his flip doesn't mean it's wrong by any means

  • WesquireWesquire Members Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Krt22 said:
    Yeah that's a terrible video. Just because he hooks it with his flip doesn't mean it's wrong by any means

    He also says that you have to have a flaw to hit a draw.

    Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5° (Mitsubishi CK Pro Orange 70 TX Tipped 1")
    3 Wood - Ping G 14.5° (PX HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5 Tipped 1.5")
    2 Crossover - Ping G410 17° (PX HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5)
    4-W - Ping i200 (PX 6.5)
    Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50°/55°/60° (PX 6.5)
    Putter - Directed Force
    Ball - Snell MTB-X
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Wesquire said:

    @Krt22 said:
    Yeah that's a terrible video. Just because he hooks it with his flip doesn't mean it's wrong by any means

    He also says that you have to have a flaw to hit a draw.

    Great way to capture a bunch of weak slicers as students.

    If you hit a draw...its a flaw...and a grip that is strong..is just wrong! Let me show you how to effortlessly hit cute little 225 yard slices.

  • WesquireWesquire Members Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Krt22 said:

    @Wesquire said:

    @Krt22 said:
    Yeah that's a terrible video. Just because he hooks it with his flip doesn't mean it's wrong by any means

    He also says that you have to have a flaw to hit a draw.

    Great way to capture a bunch of weak slicers as students.

    If you hit a draw...its a flaw...and a grip that is strong..is just wrong! Let me show you how to effortlessly hit cute little 225 yard slices.

    Correction, he said you have to have 2 flaws to hit a draw. He said you have to slide and not rotate and have a strong grip. I'm pretty sure Matt Wolff's stock shape is a draw and I dont know of anyone that slides less or rotates more. He even has a weak grip.

    Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5° (Mitsubishi CK Pro Orange 70 TX Tipped 1")
    3 Wood - Ping G 14.5° (PX HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5 Tipped 1.5")
    2 Crossover - Ping G410 17° (PX HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5)
    4-W - Ping i200 (PX 6.5)
    Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50°/55°/60° (PX 6.5)
    Putter - Directed Force
    Ball - Snell MTB-X
  • rich srich s Members Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 22, 2019 5:48pm #14

    @ebrasmus21 , it might be time. I am feeling inspired

  • musclefrontmusclefront Members Posts: 263 ✭✭✭✭

    @Krt22 said:
    Yeah that's a terrible video. Just because he hooks it with his flip doesn't mean it's wrong by any means

    Positive as always

  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @musclefront said:

    @Krt22 said:
    Yeah that's a terrible video. Just because he hooks it with his flip doesn't mean it's wrong by any means

    Positive as always

    Incredibly insightful comment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file