GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

“Plastics pollution? Course urged golfers to hit balls into Lake Michigan” (Arcadia Bluffs)

JeffreySpicoli ·  
JeffreySpicoliJeffreySpicoli Members  1957WRX Points: 471Posts: 1,957 Platinum Tees
Posted:

Comments

• cassel191919cassel191919 Members  217WRX Points: 67Posts: 217 Fairways

I guess it is time for me to stop doing this

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • kalamazookalamazoo Members  528WRX Points: 104Posts: 528 Golden Tee

I gotta bite my tongue on this one because as a fisherman and a golfer I can see the argument from both sides. I'll add the following points for consideration:
    1. The article BARELY mentioned it, but balls are routinely retrieved from the waters below 12. Not sure if Arcadia does it anymore, but I know for a fact that locals do. Is every ball retrieved? Obviously not, but I think the article could have covered this aspect a little better.
    2. Not every ball hit into the water on 12 is intentional. (Source: Personal experience :wink: )

Posted:
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Members  516WRX Points: 257Posts: 516 Golden Tee

Referring to golf balls being deposited into an infinitesimally small portion of Lake Michigan as "plastics pollution" doesn't say much for the sense of perspective of the FreeP writer and the "environmental activists" they quote. What a stupid article.

Posted:
  • marmooskapaulmarmooskapaul Members  1455WRX Points: 230Posts: 1,455 Platinum Tees

Fish structure, just like chunk rock.

Posted:
  • VNutzVNutz Members  6799WRX Points: 746Posts: 6,799 Titanium Tees

They should send the Civil War Gold guys there, they might actually find something of value on the lake floor.

Posted:
  • tjbluetjblue Members  263WRX Points: 78Posts: 263 Greens

Stood on 12 a few weeks ago and was tempted to hit a shot in the lake. Took a pass. I need to save my drives for the course.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • HackerDaveHackerDave Members  1448WRX Points: 141Handicap: 13.5Posts: 1,448 Platinum Tees

I've hit a ball into the lake every time I've I played it. It's really hard to resist. I'm going next month and will try to refrain but I make no promises!

Posted:
  • VNutzVNutz Members  6799WRX Points: 746Posts: 6,799 Titanium Tees

I've seen many people hit drives into the lake there, it's going to happen whether Arcadia "encourages" it or not. I haven't played there in 5-10 years but I never once saw that description or read/heard any encouragement to do this. This is just the media trying to create a story against a somewhat disliked entity in Arcadia Bluffs, a course that was heavily opposed to when it was built. Environmentalists have hated this course from the very beginning, this is just playing into that.

Posted:
  • HackerDaveHackerDave Members  1448WRX Points: 141Handicap: 13.5Posts: 1,448 Platinum Tees

I guess this is what "hard hitting investigative reporting" looks like when you are a dying newspaper with limited resources. Even with a joint operating agreement, these idiots can't find a way to put a paper on your porch.

Posted:
  • JeffreySpicoliJeffreySpicoli Members  1957WRX Points: 471Posts: 1,957 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
  • PuttCurseRepeatPuttCurseRepeat It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it! Members  914WRX Points: 148Posts: 914 Golden Tee

I always thought that AB's encouragement of hitting balls into Lake Michigan was idiotic. The mindless participation of this "ritual" is idiotic as well. Neither one is the end of the world, though.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • greenj20greenj20 Grosse Pointe Farms, MIMembers  81WRX Points: 24Handicap: 23.6Posts: 81 Fairways

Definitely a "tradition" on the trips I have taken up there.

Posted:
    Driver: Epic Flash 9* 
    3Wood: Taylormade M2 (2017) HL
    Hybrids: F8 One Length 5H, Ping G25 23*, 20*
    Irons: Forged Tec Black One Length PW-6
    Wedges: Forged TecOne Length Black GW, Vokey SM 6 Jet Black F Grind
    Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom
    Bag: Sun Mountain Phantom Cart
    Ball: Pro V1 Yellow

• JeffreySpicoliJeffreySpicoli Members  1957WRX Points: 471Posts: 1,957 Platinum Tees
    Posted:

Well I was there this week and they have installed a wooden fence and placed a sign asking people to refrain from hitting balls into the lake.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.