Playing better with a much softer shaft

BarracudaBarracuda Members Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any highish swing speed player using very weak shafts with good results?

I have a swings speed of 108mph with driver, around 6 months ago, I tried aTPT 17 LKP (similar to a regular, low kick shaft). I started hitting everything dead center, ballflight was great, and it continues to this day.

Last week I tried a Miura 7 iron with a regular flex nippon 750 wrap tech in regular. Again, everything dead center, higher ballflight compared too my modus 105 stiff. 125mph ballspeef with a smash factor over 1,40.

I am now thinking of building a set and try it out. It's a 2k project, so I was wondering if anybody got lucky with something similar.

Comments

• 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I play anything from a stiff flex to a senior flex in my bag. Driver is reg flex, 3 wood senior flex, most other wood and hybrids are reg flex and irons are stiff flex. I play what feels best for the shots I need. I've found these flexes allow me to score the best on any given day.

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

some hard swingers need softer flexes and vice versa
    Glad u found what works for your swing's fingerprint

Ping G400 LST 11.5* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Aldila NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,826 ClubWRX

Who's gonna be the person to make a childish response like..."That's what she said?"

Oh...guess it's this childish person.

• BarracudaBarracuda Members Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need a Michael Scott meme to go with it...

@DavePelz4 said:
    Who's gonna be the person to make a childish response like..."That's what she said?"

• From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DavePelz4 said:

Well... "she" ain't my wife, or my girlfriend.

Neither of them would say that.

• GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For the last 5 years or so, I've had the best results with a Motore 757 in my driver. It's considered pretty soft all around but it's got great balance and I can time it better than almost anything.

Never tried it with irons as I definitely prefer as much weight as I can get in them.

M5 9.0°, 757 
    Steelhead XR 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
    MD Forged 50/54/58
    SM6 62M

Piretti Potenza
    Tour BX

• phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Members Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@GooseHook said:
    For the last 5 years or so, I've had the best results with a Motore 757 in my driver. It's considered pretty soft all around but it's got great balance and I can time it better than almost anything.

Never tried it with irons as I definitely prefer as much weight as I can get in them.

I thought the 757s were pretty butt and tip stiff?

Cobra F9 7.5 - Accra TZ5 55
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5 - Fubuki V 70
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18 - Diamana Thump 85
    Mizuno CLK 22* - Speeder 75HB
    New Level 1031 5-P - DG105 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - DG105 Black Onyx
    Bettinardi BB0 "Gotta Sting" Proto 1 of 1 
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Newport
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Members Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Barracuda said:

I have a swings speed of 108mph with driver, around 6 months ago, I tried aTPT 17 LKP (similar to a regular, low kick shaft). I started hitting everything dead center, ballflight was great, and it continues to this day.

Last week I tried a Miura 7 iron with a regular flex nippon 750 wrap tech in regular. Again, everything dead center, higher ballflight compared too my modus 105 stiff. 125mph ballspeef with a smash factor over 1,40.

I am now thinking of building a set and try it out. It's a 2k project, so I was wondering if anybody got lucky with something similar.

I have seen it a couple of times in fits I have done. Not necessarily "soft" but lighter. Theoretically you could make the TPT17 stiffer than the 15 if you tipped it enough. TPT even state on their site that don't be surprised if you find that going softer based on the stated shaft swing speeds gives better results. I typically flex people down in the TPT because it is so stable. I've sold two 18s to people who swing in the low 90s, one 16 to someone who was over 105, and one 15 straight in for someone who was at 115-117. They are great shafts. The way I look at is this, you can hit a driver that weights 55-60g when swinging at 108 why can't you hit a 75-80g shaft when swinging at like 90? It should be easy but a lot of people have preconceived notions about how heavy an iron shaft needs to be but disregard how light wood shafts are.

Cobra F9 7.5 - Accra TZ5 55
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5 - Fubuki V 70
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18 - Diamana Thump 85
    Mizuno CLK 22* - Speeder 75HB
    New Level 1031 5-P - DG105 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - DG105 Black Onyx
    Bettinardi BB0 "Gotta Sting" Proto 1 of 1 
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Newport
  • shanxshanx Members Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on the border of Regular and Stiff, been measured 105 to 115 with the driver. I play softer tipped wood shafts (Fuji 652, Evo 661), and am going through mid weight iron shafts now. I have played S300s forever, tried others along the way, kept returning..

Picked up a MP60 with a frayed label Dynamic Gold shaft in it at PGASS last week, assumed it was a S300. Hit it great, on the spot every time in the bay, distance was a pinch farther on average, even though I wasn't really going after it. Peeled back the label, the shaft was an R300. Dropped the club and ran out of the store...lol!

• chivachiva Members Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@shanx said:
    I'm on the border of Regular and Stiff, been measured 105 to 115 with the driver. I play softer tipped wood shafts (Fuji 652, Evo 661), and am going through mid weight iron shafts now. I have played S300s forever, tried others along the way, kept returning..

Picked up a MP60 with a frayed label Dynamic Gold shaft in it at PGASS last week, assumed it was a S300. Hit it great, on the spot every time in the bay, distance was a pinch farther on average, even though I wasn't really going after it. Peeled back the label, the shaft was an R300. Dropped the club and ran out of the store...lol!

Did you turn in your WRX card? Lol.

OB and water hazards you flunkies
  • Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 23, 2019 6:58am #12

@Barracuda said:

Feel of flex is a trigger for how much power we put on that club, so if we play a shaft stronger than our feel preference, we would give it the little extra, sometimes for the better, in other cases for the worse. The same goes for Total weight and balance, they are also factors for our timing and delivery of the club, so its when Play length, Shaft weight, weight distribution (balance), and feel of flex is right for the actual player that his impact and consistency will be the best.

We can SEE this with our own eyes, so if we pay more attention to how club specs forces the player to adjust one way or the other, for the better or worse, we can find the right specs easier than using "tools" to navigate by.

Go to this post and start from the chapter VISUAL FITTING where i have described how we can SEE CLUB SPECS (too little or too much) when the player swing the club, We can judge both Play lengths, Total Weight, Balance, flex and Profile this way, and use this specs to trigger the player into a swing that works the best for him. (good balance, timing, float = good impact), so its important to pay attention to the PLAYER and how club specs forces him to adjust, if not we might go by the numbers from a LM alone, where we overlooked that the player was swinging out of his shoes to make it with that club, so he want be able to play good with it all 18 holes...

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/7871739#Comment_7871739

• Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe not as extreme as yours but i swing the driver at 115-117 range, and im supposed to be in an x flex. Every x flex i have tried (just a handful) seemed very difficult for me to time and load consistently. Throw in a stiff and everything clicks much better. The notion that swing speed determines flex is really wrong. Tempo and transition play bigger factors with flex as well as feel. The slower tempo swings will like softer shafts and fast tempo hard loaders will like stiffer flexes, generally speaking.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file