TPC, The Winter Championship.

Lagavulin62

With all the talk of Sawgrass detracting from the event and dreams of this event somehow gaining greater appeal, what if we relocated to a cooler(almost cold) climate? Now obviously the concern is a location reasonably safe from March snow. But why can’t we have a high caliber event in a cold climate? Really test the players skills in situations many of us play routinely? Isn’t the point of watching the pros a chance to see them do what we try to do too often unsuccessfully?

I would think to protect against possible snow it would need to be along one of the coasts. Just how far up east or west is the question? Now too we are going to pay these guys big bucks so they don’t wimp out on us. But I think the Players has one of the largest purses anyway. Yes coffee and hot chocolate may surpass beer in sales(kidding), but wouldn’t that add some appeal to it? Ok call me nuts but you have to admit it would be different. Who knows what this might create?

> @Lagavulin62 said:

> With all the talk of Sawgrass detracting from the event and dreams of this event somehow gaining greater appeal, what if we relocated to a cooler(almost cold) climate? Now obviously the concern is a location reasonably safe from March snow. But why can’t we have a high caliber event in a cold climate? Really test the players skills in situations many of us play routinely? Isn’t the point of watching the pros a chance to see them do what we try to do too often unsuccessfully?

>

> I would think to protect against possible snow it would need to be along one of the coasts. Just how far up east or west is the question? Now too we are going to pay these guys big bucks so they don’t wimp out on us. But I think the Players has one of the largest purses anyway. Yes coffee and hot chocolate may surpass beer in sales(kidding), but wouldn’t that add some appeal to it? Ok call me nuts but you have to admit it would be different. Who knows what this might create?

Yes, you're nuts.

• Like 1

> @Lagavulin62 said:

> With all the talk of Sawgrass detracting from the event and dreams of this event somehow gaining greater appeal, what if we relocated to a cooler(almost cold) climate? Now obviously the concern is a location reasonably safe from March snow. But why can’t we have a high caliber event in a cold climate? Really test the players skills in situations many of us play routinely? Isn’t the point of watching the pros a chance to see them do what we try to do too often unsuccessfully?

>

> I would think to protect against possible snow it would need to be along one of the coasts. Just how far up east or west is the question? Now too we are going to pay these guys big bucks so they don’t wimp out on us. But I think the Players has one of the largest purses anyway. Yes coffee and hot chocolate may surpass beer in sales(kidding), but wouldn’t that add some appeal to it? Ok call me nuts but you have to admit it would be different. Who knows what this might create?

The US Tour has its headquarters at TPC Sawgrass. Moving the tournament is a non-starter.

So, yes, you're nuts.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

TPC in the winter somewhere not Sawgrass? Yeaaaaaahhhhh, that's gonna be an almost unanimous no.

I would entertain the idea of a smaller tournament on a breezy 40 F day, but asking for a high caliber tournament to be played when course maintenance (not just weather) is beyond less than ideal and expecting reasonable amounts of people to spectate let alone high ranking players to participate is just a bit far-fetched for me .

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

> @grm24 said:

> > @MidwestGolfBum said:

> > Given they are moving the headquarters to Texas and planning to build courses there, don't get you hopes up for it to move anywhere but right along with them.

>

> The PGA of America is moving its headquarters to Texas not the PGA Tour.

Yes, you're correct, my mistake. This is why I shouldn't be allowed to post while I'm "working".

• Like 1

I’ll vote yes.

Why not ? It’s not a major championship steeped in history. So a change of venue wouldn’t hurt a thing.

Disclaimer - my opinion of course.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Conversely, I quite like Sawgrass as a venue for the Players. While I'm not in the "5th Major" crowd, I do think of it and the Masters as a nice pair of big-time tournaments that are always on the same course that frequent viewers will know like the back of their hand.

The other majors move around, and most of the other tournaments (other than the Dell Match Play) aren't really appointment viewing for me, so the Players and the Masters are sort of unique in that way for me. If it moved, I'd be a little disappointed.

I also think Sawgrass is a pretty good course to test the best players. It's tough and punishing, but also pretty gettable if a player is sharp.

• Like 1

TM 2016 M2, Graphite Design Tour AD DI

Callaway Rogue 3w, 15º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Yonex EZone XPG 3h, 18.25º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Srixon U65 4di, 23º, Aerotech Steelfibre i95

Mizuno MP-59, 5i-PW, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF

Cleveland RTX Zipcore, 50º,54º,58º, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF 

Ping B60 Scottsdale TR, Nippon NS PRO Putter

Volvik S4

> @mocokid said:

> Yeah, play Liberty National or Shinnecock on Jan 30. Prob no snow as both are coastal. Good luck with 20-30 degree weather though.

I would love that. Bethpage off the tips, frozen greens and plow the snow off the fairways

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @Lagavulin62 said:

>

dreams of this event gaining greater appeal? ... what event? ... the players? ... it's already a pretty big deal locally, nationally and globally ...

Here’s the reality. Forums like Golf WRX are great for debating things like should the PGA be a major? Should there be a 5th major? What should it be? Should the Players move from TPC Sawgrass? But golf fans know that the 4 majors are the Masters, US Open, The Open, and the PGA. The Players, the playoffs, Tour Championship, and WGC events are second tier tournaments. Important, but not majors. Then come the regular tour events. The backbone of the schedule but once they are over the average fan quickly forgets who won what. You can argue that some of these tournaments are more prestigious. Memorial, Arnold Palmer, etc., but that’s a side topic. The Tour can try and battle reality all it wants with it’s “5th major” and Tour Championship, but reality is undefeated.

You already have a winter Major - it's called The (British) Open

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Didnt that course in Arizona where they played the match play a couple of years ago have snow in the morning? Looked kind of funny with snow on the cactuses. Apart from that, no. Snow and frost adds nothing. We on the 60th parallel sometimes plays in that kind of conditions, as I also suspect people in the northern states of USA and Canada do, but thats just because thats what is offered if you do not have time or money to go to Spain. Or I guess like Florida.

But admitted, I prefer playing in 12C to 30C.

Regarding Sawgrass being a major or not. It kind of had that function in the old schedule, being the Big tournament of May. Filled the gap between Masters and US Open. I kind of liked that, with PGA in early august. And Sawgrass i think presents itself better in may. Admittedly some years got to logjammed in August. Now that might be something, touching on the "cold" subject. Why arent there any really big tournaments in october to february? This year september to february? One would suspect that it isnt too cold in Florida in that period? Is it because the big names wants time to spend some of their money?

> @Hankshank said:

> Didnt that course in Arizona where they played the match play a couple of years ago have snow in the morning? Looked kind of funny with snow on the cactuses. Apart from that, no. Snow and frost adds nothing. We on the 60th parallel sometimes plays in that kind of conditions, as I also suspect people in the northern states of USA and Canada do, but thats just because thats what is offered if you do not have time or money to go to Spain. Or I guess like Florida.

> But admitted, I prefer playing in 12C to 30C.

>

>

that was my first thought ...

> @golfer07840 said:

> > @Hankshank said:

> > Why arent there any really big tournaments in october to february? This year september to february? One would suspect that it isnt too cold in Florida in that period? Is it because the big names wants time to spend some of their money?

>

> lw065rsya124.png

>

>

>

Pga tour should invest in concision / head trauma research. Might prove profitable.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It’s time for another session of **POST BREAKDOWN**, by Ferg

With all the talk of Sawgrass detracting from the event and dreams of this event somehow gaining greater appeal, what if we relocated to a cooler(almost cold) climate?

No. Cold never fixes a tour event. Golf fans and players alike prefer shirts without sleeves.

Now obviously the concern is a location reasonably safe from March snow. But why can’t we have a high caliber event in a cold climate?

Read above.

Really test the players skills in situations many of us play routinely?

Don’t try to “speak for us.”

Isn’t the point of watching the pros a chance to see them do what we try to do too often unsuccessfully?

No. The point is to watch the best perform at a high level.

Just how far up east or west is the question?

South is the answer.

Yes coffee and hot chocolate may surpass beer in sales(kidding), but wouldn’t that add some appeal to it?

Now you’re just being silly.

Who knows what this might create?

You are trying to create a mess. Add mowers, equipment, grandstands and thousands of people to soft, wet turf and you get a mess.

Tour events are to generate revenue. You won't be able to generate enough revenue playing in colder temps to make the stop profitable to the organization, or the venue.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

> @Hankshank said:

> Didnt that course in Arizona where they played the match play a couple of years ago have snow in the morning? Looked kind of funny with snow on the cactuses. Apart from that, no. Snow and frost adds nothing. We on the 60th parallel sometimes plays in that kind of conditions, as I also suspect people in the northern states of USA and Canada do, but thats just because thats what is offered if you do not have time or money to go to Spain. Or I guess like Florida.

> But admitted, I prefer playing in 12C to 30C.

>

>

Dove Mountain in Marana, AZ, February 20, 2013.

![](https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/capital-weather-gang/Images/2013-02-20T202057Z_01_MAR32_RTRIDSP_3_GOLF-PGA-MATCHPLAY-SUSPENSION.jpg?uuid=Qb2mdHukEeKaddqwIBZw2g.jpg "")

![](https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/capital-weather-gang/Images/162208447.jpg?uuid=oRIJdnukEeKaddqwIBZw2g.jpg "")

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

You couldn’t have picked a better name for yourself. Yes that is the whole point. Use what makes the British Open special to create something here in the US.

Edit: This new format is a joke. For the love of forums, please bring back the classic version.

That post was supposed to be quoted from Bingo’s post where he stated(paraphrasing) “we already have a winter classic, the British Open.”