GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Mizuno MP-20 - July 2019

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10629WRX Points: 3,755Handicap: 8Posts: 10,629 ClubWRX

On -, @BearQ said:

On -, @starsail85 said:

On -, @BearQ said:

On -, @Lenny2 said:

Why does the very first pic not have a number on the sole identifying what iron it is?

Tour only 2-iron

Any way the regular guy can get one of these two irons ? I’d love an 18 degree bladed 3 iron

No lol, nor should we really.

BUT!
    Callaway mb, cobra mb are available for retail 2-iron

Plus just get the HMB 2 irons. Way better off in all ways with just a slight change in look.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • DavethegolferDavethegolfer Members  413WRX Points: 81Posts: 413 Greens

Online reviews start today (tomorrow depending where on the planet you are) - Ask Golf Nut posting later

Posted:
  • 2over2over Members  231WRX Points: 136Posts: 231 Fairways

On -, @jonn443 said:

On -, @2over said:

OK, I'm a Mizuno guy since the early 90's MP-14, MP-33, MP-18 in the bag now. I hate to criticize but the muscle on these is too small, too low. I want a higher muscle back a' la Titleist 680 or the original TN 87. The MP-18 is better in this respect and the MP-20 is a step backward. I prefer a lower COG in my blades and don't like the modern trend to launch it a mile in the air with all the clubs. Most of us who are drawn to blades have no trouble hitting it high--it's keeping it down when we want to that is the key to a real shot-makers club...

You do not want a low COG then because the lower the "muscle", the higher the ball flight (typically). You would most likely benefit from a mid COG iron, J15 MB, 945/965, or the P-730.

You're right, I meant to write a higher COG which a higher muscle back like the 680 has. I want to keep the ball down

Posted:
  • Crooksc17Crooksc17 NJMembers  953WRX Points: 114Handicap: 5Posts: 953 Golden Tee

On -, @Davethegolfer said:

Online reviews start today (tomorrow depending where on the planet you are) - Ask Golf Nut posting later

Embargo date is September 6th so probably won’t see any reviews until then

Posted:

Advertisement
  • drbonesvtdrbonesvt ClubWRX  8369WRX Points: 334Handicap: WIPPosts: 8,369 ClubWRX

Wish they would shrink that Pw and top line

Posted:
    SIM 8* Kuro Kage XD 70TX tipped 1.25" 
    SIM 15* ADDI 90x tipped 2"
    Titleist 2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)
    Titleist MB 620 3-PW (48* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) -1* Weak loft Titlest 620MB specs
    54* Wedge Works V grind & 60* Wedge Works M grind - Tour Issue S400 (64* Lie angle) 
    Piretti Potenza Sight Dot 365g |Bettinardi BB8 Trisole bare 348g | or Toulon San Diego Sight Line  - 68* Lie angle 2* of loft 
    All woods & 2i hot melted, tour issue zcord .580 Ping Hoofer 
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members  3827WRX Points: 730Handicap: 3.0Posts: 3,827 Titanium Tees

On -, @drbonesvt said:

Wish they would shrink that Pw and top line

I'll probably go 4,5 in the HMB 6-9 in the blade and 46,51,56,60 in the T-20 wedge to get around the PW issue

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    TaylorMade Sim Max Rescue 19° w/ HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 3-9 w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 48°,53°,58° w/ DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 34"

• Bdmac79Bdmac79 Members  1021WRX Points: 141Posts: 1,021 Platinum Tees

Topline of the 9 and PW should roughly matchup to the wedges, per the photos.

Posted:
    SIM T.I./9/HZRDUS Yellow HC 65
    SIM T.I./15/HZRDUS Yellow HC 75
    TS2/17/AD-DI 85
    U510 3-U500 4/EvenFlow White 100
    T100 5-9/PX LZ
    SM8 Raw 46.10F-52.8F-WW58.6K/PX LZ
    SC NP2 Tour CT Custom
    SC Futura X5 Tour CT Prototype 2.5
    Pro V1
  • halfsumohalfsumo Members  843WRX Points: 199Posts: 843 Golden Tee

I think they've specifically put a ton of thought into the pitching wedge since like 5-7 years ago, when at that time, yes I agree, the PW was usually a little too big and too round, but that hasn't been the case IMO for at least the last 3 iterations of irons. Of course, everyone has their own subjective opinion on looks and it could be they still aren't hitting the exact look that will capture everyone, but every time I see someone complain about the PW I can't help but wonder if they just haven't given an MP a shot in the last 5 years.

Posted:
    Post edited by halfsumo on
    Mavrik 8* Tensei Pro White 60tx
    TS3 15*  Tensei Pro White 70tx
    PXG gen 2 17* Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
    PING G410 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 M4
    PING i210 5-PW MMT 105tx
    PING Glide 3.0 50, 56ss
    Vokey SM7 60 S grind
    Newport 2 
  • Bdmac79Bdmac79 Members  1021WRX Points: 141Posts: 1,021 Platinum Tees

On -, @halfsumo said:

I think they've specifically put a ton of thought into the pitching wedge since like 7 years ago, when at that time, yes I agree, the PW was usually a little too big and too round, but that hasn't been the case IMO for at least the last 3 iterations of MP. Of course, everyone has their own subjective opinion on looks and it could be they still aren't hitting the exact look that will capture everyone, but every time I see someone complain about the PW I can't help but wonder if they just haven't given an MP a shot in the last 5 years.

I agree. The last few models - specifically the MP 18 and the JPX Tours - have addressed the complaints of the 9 and PW looking like "shovels".

Posted:
    SIM T.I./9/HZRDUS Yellow HC 65
    SIM T.I./15/HZRDUS Yellow HC 75
    TS2/17/AD-DI 85
    U510 3-U500 4/EvenFlow White 100
    T100 5-9/PX LZ
    SM8 Raw 46.10F-52.8F-WW58.6K/PX LZ
    SC NP2 Tour CT Custom
    SC Futura X5 Tour CT Prototype 2.5
    Pro V1

Advertisement
  • musclefrontmusclefront Members  448WRX Points: 365Posts: 448 Greens

On -, @Bdmac79 said:

On -, @halfsumo said:

I think they've specifically put a ton of thought into the pitching wedge since like 7 years ago, when at that time, yes I agree, the PW was usually a little too big and too round, but that hasn't been the case IMO for at least the last 3 iterations of MP. Of course, everyone has their own subjective opinion on looks and it could be they still aren't hitting the exact look that will capture everyone, but every time I see someone complain about the PW I can't help but wonder if they just haven't given an MP a shot in the last 5 years.

I agree. The last few models - specifically the MP 18 and the JPX Tours - have addressed the complaints of the 9 and PW looking like "shovels".

The mp18 short irons are the perfect shape for my eye. They really nailed in all the irons blending the angle where the hosel meets the face. Always a turnoff in older mizuno for me

Posted:
  • COmedicCOmedic Members  193WRX Points: 70Posts: 193 Fairways

Can’t wait to hit the SEL set!

Posted:
  • bkloessbkloess St. Louis, MOMembers  78WRX Points: 58Posts: 78 Fairways

I realize that most blades look similar, but there is something to every Mizuno blade that , for some reason, looks amazing.

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 9.5 w/ Rogue 125 TX
    Ping G30 13 w/ Tour AD-DI 8x
    Ping S55 (3-P) w/ Tour Issue DG x100 +.5
    Ping Tour Gorge 52/56/60 w/ DG TI S400
    Scotty 009/ Scotty FB+ Circle T
    Titleist Pro V1x

Got to see the MP-20 blade in the flesh today and retract my post on this thread about the muscle back being a little low and not looking as good as the latest titleist mb. The MP-20 is pretty much perfect and feels amazing... still the champ.

Posted:
  • FOOTJOY16FOOTJOY16 Members  829WRX Points: 136Posts: 829 Golden Tee

On -, @2over said:

Got to see the MP-20 blade in the flesh today and retract my post on this thread about the muscle back being a little low and not looking as good as the latest titleist mb. The MP-20 is pretty much perfect and feels amazing... still the champ.

Blade length and top line look good?

Posted:
    Titleist TS4 8.5
    Titleist TS3  15.0
    Mizuno MP 20 4-PW Project X
    Vokey SM7 56M 08, 60L04
    Scotty Newport Button Back or
    Scotty Select 1/500 Newport

Advertisement

On -, @FOOTJOY16 said:

On -, @2over said:

The blade length, face depth, and top-line look identical to my MP-18 blades. And there may be something after all to that copper thing because they felt just ever so slightly softer. I should not have hit them.

Posted:
  • Weston11Weston11 Members  271WRX Points: 99Posts: 271 Greens

On -, @2over said:

On -, @FOOTJOY16 said:

On -, @2over said:

The blade length, face depth, and top-line look identical to my MP-18 blades. And there may be something after all to that copper thing because they felt just ever so slightly softer. I should not have hit them.

Were the faces satin finish like your MP18's, or were they shiny chrome like the MP4s? Thanks!

Posted:
    Driver: SIM 9.0 - Hzrdus Smoke Green 70TX
    Fairway: SIM 15 - Diamana ZF 80TX 
    3 iron: Titleist U500 - Mitsubishi MMT 125X
    4-PW: Miura TC-201 - DG X7
    Wedges: Vokey SM8 51F, 55F, and 59K - DG TI S400 
    Putter: Byron Morgan 615 or Evnroll ER 2.2
    Ball: Pro V1X
  • therealjonzonetherealjonzone Members  2779WRX Points: 351Handicap: 2.9Posts: 2,779 Titanium Tees

On -, @Weston11 said:

On -, @2over said:

On -, @FOOTJOY16 said:

On -, @2over said:

Were the faces satin finish like your MP18's, or were they shiny chrome like the MP4s? Thanks!

More dull, and non reflective

I will say that the copper makes them some of the softest, if not the softest major OEM irons I’ve ever hit.

Posted:
  • Lumberjack627Lumberjack627 Members  130WRX Points: 60Handicap: 12Posts: 130 Fairways

How good do you actually have to be to play these clubs ?

Posted:
  • LaznastyLaznasty The Amazing Golf Ball Whacker Guy Valparaiso, IndianaMembers  821WRX Points: 254Posts: 821 Golden Tee

On -, @Lumberjack627 said:

How good do you actually have to be to play these clubs?

A good rule of thumb would be:
    High handicap: mp20 HMB
    Mid handicap: mp20 cavity back
    Low handicap: mp20 blade
    If you go to a good fitter and hit the ball well with your shorter irons, you could do a blended set. Blades in the shorter irons, cavity back in the mid irons, and HMB in the longer irons. But realistically, you could play the blades throughout the whole set if you like the looks and aren't going to be upset about miss-hits. A few years after I picked up the game I played Titleist 710 MB's, which I had absolutely zero business playing. But they were fun when struck well, and they looked so **** good behind the ball.

Posted:
    Ping G410+ -- VA Nemesys
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 5W -- AD-DI 70x
    PXG 0317x 22° -- Nippon G.O.S.T.
    PXG 0311P 4-Gw --Nippon Modus 120x
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge 54° 58° -- shimada tour wedge
    Lamb Crafted Camden -- BGT Stability Tour

Advertisement
  • Lumberjack627Lumberjack627 Members  130WRX Points: 60Handicap: 12Posts: 130 Fairways

On -, @Laznasty

Thank you for the feedback I will be trying to get maybe a combo set during the winter time with the down time from the weather. Really appreciate it.
    Posted:
  • Glaze88Glaze88 Members  82WRX Points: 49Posts: 82 Fairways

These are a gorgeous iron! Mizuno just know how to do it right!!

Posted:
  • golfinguru11golfinguru11 Nor CalMembers  333WRX Points: 227Handicap: 1.8Posts: 333 Greens

The wait is agonizing. Might be in some 620 MBs before I can give them a chance :(

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5* - Aldila 130msi Rogue Black 60 tx 
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - Accra TZ6 75 x
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - VA Raijin 84 x
    Mizuno MP-54 (4,5) MP-20 (6-PW) - Nippon Modus 125 s
    Vokey SM7 RAW 52F 56S 60D - Nippon Modus 125 wedge
    Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball 

Lefty, Lead tape enthusiast
  • davo32683davo32683 Members  2469WRX Points: 261Posts: 2,469 Platinum Tees

I saw these today too and was quite impressed. Might go back to blades even though I don’t need to. Just look like a joy to hit

Posted:
    Nothing is safe in my bag!
  • CSmithAMGCSmithAMG GeorgiaClubWRX  172WRX Points: 52Handicap: 6Posts: 172 ClubWRX

I’m curious, if you were going to do a blended set how would you decide between the HMB and CB for your long irons? I don’t want extra height or extra length. I’m also hesitant to go full MB. I guess it’s kinda like your first time riding a bike without training wheels. That bit of extra forgiveness is comforting.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ with HZRDUS smoke green 70g 6.55<br />Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3wood HZRDUS yellow 6.5 <br />Callaway Epic 3 hybrid Hzrdus Black 85<br />Callaway Apex Pro Irons KBS Tour 130<br />Callaway MD Forged wedges S400<br />Scotty Cameron Futura 7M<br />Taylormade TP5X

Advertisement
  • golfinguru11golfinguru11 Nor CalMembers  333WRX Points: 227Handicap: 1.8Posts: 333 Greens

On -, @CSmithAMG said:

I’m curious, if you were going to do a blended set how would you decide between the HMB and CB for your long irons? I don’t want extra height or extra length. I’m also hesitant to go full MB. I guess it’s kinda like your first time riding a bike without training wheels. That bit of extra forgiveness is comforting.

If you don’t want height or distance I’d stay away from hmb altogether. MMCs are more than forgiving enough for a good ball striker.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5* - Aldila 130msi Rogue Black 60 tx 
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - Accra TZ6 75 x
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - VA Raijin 84 x
    Mizuno MP-54 (4,5) MP-20 (6-PW) - Nippon Modus 125 s
    Vokey SM7 RAW 52F 56S 60D - Nippon Modus 125 wedge
    Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball 

Lefty, Lead tape enthusiast
  • CSmithAMGCSmithAMG GeorgiaClubWRX  172WRX Points: 52Handicap: 6Posts: 172 ClubWRX

On -, @MBBG said:

On -, @CSmithAMG said:

The MMC is as forgiving as HMB but without the extra launch height.

That was my impression. I’m think MMC 3-6 and MB for the rest. Sound right?

Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ with HZRDUS smoke green 70g 6.55<br />Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3wood HZRDUS yellow 6.5 <br />Callaway Epic 3 hybrid Hzrdus Black 85<br />Callaway Apex Pro Irons KBS Tour 130<br />Callaway MD Forged wedges S400<br />Scotty Cameron Futura 7M<br />Taylormade TP5X

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.