Mizuno MP-20 - July 2019

Comments

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BearQ said:

@starsail85 said:

@BearQ said:

@Lenny2 said:
    Why does the very first pic not have a number on the sole identifying what iron it is?

Tour only 2-iron

Any way the regular guy can get one of these two irons ? I’d love an 18 degree bladed 3 iron

No lol, nor should we really.

BUT!
    Callaway mb, cobra mb are available for retail 2-iron

Plus just get the HMB 2 irons. Way better off in all ways with just a slight change in look.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • DavethegolferDavethegolfer Members Posts: 386 ✭✭✭✭

Online reviews start today (tomorrow depending where on the planet you are) - Ask Golf Nut posting later

• 2over2over Members Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

@jonn443 said:

@2over said:
    OK, I'm a Mizuno guy since the early 90's MP-14, MP-33, MP-18 in the bag now. I hate to criticize but the muscle on these is too small, too low. I want a higher muscle back a' la Titleist 680 or the original TN 87. The MP-18 is better in this respect and the MP-20 is a step backward. I prefer a lower COG in my blades and don't like the modern trend to launch it a mile in the air with all the clubs. Most of us who are drawn to blades have no trouble hitting it high--it's keeping it down when we want to that is the key to a real shot-makers club...

You do not want a low COG then because the lower the "muscle", the higher the ball flight (typically). You would most likely benefit from a mid COG iron, J15 MB, 945/965, or the P-730.

You're right, I meant to write a higher COG which a higher muscle back like the 680 has. I want to keep the ball down

• Crooksc17Crooksc17 NJMembers Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Davethegolfer said:
    Online reviews start today (tomorrow depending where on the planet you are) - Ask Golf Nut posting later

Embargo date is September 6th so probably won’t see any reviews until then

• drbonesvtdrbonesvt ClubWRX Posts: 8,190 ClubWRX

Wish they would shrink that Pw and top line

M5 9* MRC PRO-W 70TX 
    M5 15* MRC PRO-O 80TX 
    Titleist 2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)
    Titleist MB 716 3-PW (48* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1)
    54* Wedge Works V grind & 60* Wedge Works M grind - Tour Issue S400
    Bettinardi BB8 Trisole or Toulon San Diego
    Zcords ,all woods & 2i hot melted, Ping Hoofer 
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@drbonesvt said:
    Wish they would shrink that Pw and top line

I'll probably go 4,5 in the HMB 6-9 in the blade and 46,51,56,60 in the T-20 wedge to get around the PW issue

Cobra F9 10° w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
    TM M2 DF 16.5° w/ Diamana W80X
    Cobra F9 4 Iron w/ AD IZ 95X
    Miura CB57 4-PW w/ KBS Tour 130X
    Vokey SM4 52°/ Cleveland RTX 2.0 Raw 56°/ Vokey Proto 60° w/ DG Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red 34"
  • Bdmac79Bdmac79 Members Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Topline of the 9 and PW should roughly matchup to the wedges, per the photos.

TS3/9.5/HZRDUS Yellow HC 63
    TS2/15/Tour AD-DI 7
    913H.d/18/Tour AD-DI 85
    MP-18 Fli Hi 3/Tour AD 95
    MP-18 4-PW/PX LZ
    SM7 Raw 52.8F/PX LZ
    SM7 Raw 58.8M/PX LZ
    SC Newport 2 Tour Custom
    Pro V1
  • halfsumohalfsumo Members Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 15, 2019 7:40pm #101

I think they've specifically put a ton of thought into the pitching wedge since like 5-7 years ago, when at that time, yes I agree, the PW was usually a little too big and too round, but that hasn't been the case IMO for at least the last 3 iterations of irons. Of course, everyone has their own subjective opinion on looks and it could be they still aren't hitting the exact look that will capture everyone, but every time I see someone complain about the PW I can't help but wonder if they just haven't given an MP a shot in the last 5 years.

Post edited by halfsumo on
    M5 9* Accra TZ5 M4
    TS3 15 Tensei Pro White 70tx
    818 H1 19 Tensei Pro White 90tx
    i500 4 iron, Steelfiber i95S
    Fourteen FH-900 5-PW Steelfiber i95S
    PING Glide stealth 50, 56 SM7 D 60
    PING Ketsch
  • Bdmac79Bdmac79 Members Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@halfsumo said:
    I think they've specifically put a ton of thought into the pitching wedge since like 7 years ago, when at that time, yes I agree, the PW was usually a little too big and too round, but that hasn't been the case IMO for at least the last 3 iterations of MP. Of course, everyone has their own subjective opinion on looks and it could be they still aren't hitting the exact look that will capture everyone, but every time I see someone complain about the PW I can't help but wonder if they just haven't given an MP a shot in the last 5 years.

I agree. The last few models - specifically the MP 18 and the JPX Tours - have addressed the complaints of the 9 and PW looking like "shovels".

TS3/9.5/HZRDUS Yellow HC 63
    TS2/15/Tour AD-DI 7
    913H.d/18/Tour AD-DI 85
    MP-18 Fli Hi 3/Tour AD 95
    MP-18 4-PW/PX LZ
    SM7 Raw 52.8F/PX LZ
    SM7 Raw 58.8M/PX LZ
    SC Newport 2 Tour Custom
    Pro V1
  • musclefrontmusclefront Members Posts: 263 ✭✭✭✭

@Bdmac79 said:

@halfsumo said:
    I think they've specifically put a ton of thought into the pitching wedge since like 7 years ago, when at that time, yes I agree, the PW was usually a little too big and too round, but that hasn't been the case IMO for at least the last 3 iterations of MP. Of course, everyone has their own subjective opinion on looks and it could be they still aren't hitting the exact look that will capture everyone, but every time I see someone complain about the PW I can't help but wonder if they just haven't given an MP a shot in the last 5 years.

I agree. The last few models - specifically the MP 18 and the JPX Tours - have addressed the complaints of the 9 and PW looking like "shovels".

The mp18 short irons are the perfect shape for my eye. They really nailed in all the irons blending the angle where the hosel meets the face. Always a turnoff in older mizuno for me

• COmedicCOmedic Members Posts: 43 ✭✭

Can’t wait to hit the SEL set!

• bkloessbkloess St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 49 ✭✭

I realize that most blades look similar, but there is something to every Mizuno blade that , for some reason, looks amazing.

Ping G400 LST 9.5 w/ Rogue 125 TX
    Ping G30 13 w/ Tour AD-DI 8x
    Ping S55 (3-P) w/ Tour Issue DG x100 +.5
    Ping Tour Gorge 52/56/60 w/ DG TI S400
    Scotty 009/ Scotty FB+ Circle T
    Titleist Pro V1x

Got to see the MP-20 blade in the flesh today and retract my post on this thread about the muscle back being a little low and not looking as good as the latest titleist mb. The MP-20 is pretty much perfect and feels amazing... still the champ.

• FOOTJOY16FOOTJOY16 Members Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2over said:
    Got to see the MP-20 blade in the flesh today and retract my post on this thread about the muscle back being a little low and not looking as good as the latest titleist mb. The MP-20 is pretty much perfect and feels amazing... still the champ.

Blade length and top line look good?

Titleist TS4 8.5 GD Ad-GP 
    Titleist TS3  15.0
    Currently iron shopping...
    Vokey SM7 56M 08, 60L04
    Scotty Newport Button Back or
    Scotty Select 1/500 Newport

@FOOTJOY16 said:

@2over said:

The blade length, face depth, and top-line look identical to my MP-18 blades. And there may be something after all to that copper thing because they felt just ever so slightly softer. I should not have hit them.

• Weston11Weston11 Members Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

@2over said:

@FOOTJOY16 said:

@2over said:

The blade length, face depth, and top-line look identical to my MP-18 blades. And there may be something after all to that copper thing because they felt just ever so slightly softer. I should not have hit them.

Were the faces satin finish like your MP18's, or were they shiny chrome like the MP4s? Thanks!

Driver: TS4 9.5 - Hzrdus Smoke Green 70TX
    Fairway: TS2 15 - Kuro Kage DC XT80
    2 iron: PXG 0311X - $ Taper 130X
    Irons: Titleist 680 (4-9) - DG X7 
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 51F, 55S, and 59M - DG TI S400 Onyx
    Putter: Scotty Cameron T22 Newport 2
  • therealjonzonetherealjonzone Members Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Weston11 said:

@2over said:

@FOOTJOY16 said:

@2over said:

Were the faces satin finish like your MP18's, or were they shiny chrome like the MP4s? Thanks!

More dull, and non reflective

I will say that the copper makes them some of the softest, if not the softest major OEM irons I’ve ever hit.

• Lumberjack627Lumberjack627 Members Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

How good do you actually have to be to play these clubs ?

• LaznastyLaznasty Valparaiso, IndianaMembers Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lumberjack627 said:
    How good do you actually have to be to play these clubs?

A good rule of thumb would be:
    High handicap: mp20 HMB
    Mid handicap: mp20 cavity back
    Low handicap: mp20 blade
    If you go to a good fitter and hit the ball well with your shorter irons, you could do a blended set. Blades in the shorter irons, cavity back in the mid irons, and HMB in the longer irons. But realistically, you could play the blades throughout the whole set if you like the looks and aren't going to be upset about miss-hits. A few years after I picked up the game I played Titleist 710 MB's, which I had absolutely zero business playing. But they were fun when struck well, and they looked so **** good behind the ball.

Ping G410+
    Taylormade M5 5wood
    Titleist 910H
    Taylormade P750 (pw, 9i, 8i)
    Taylormade P770 (7i & 6i)
    Taylormade P790 (5i & 4i)
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge 50° 54° 58°
    Lamb Crafted Camden
  • Lumberjack627Lumberjack627 Members Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

@Laznasty
    Thank you for the feedback I will be trying to get maybe a combo set during the winter time with the down time from the weather. Really appreciate it.

• Glaze88Glaze88 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

These are a gorgeous iron! Mizuno just know how to do it right!!

• golfinguru11golfinguru11 Bay AreaMembers Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

The wait is agonizing. Might be in some 620 MBs before I can give them a chance :(

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5* - Aldila 130msi Rogue Black 60 tx 
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - Accra TZ6 75 x
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 20* - VA Raijin 84 x
    Miura CB LH 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 125 s
    Vokey SM7 RAW 52F 56S 60D - DG S300
    Odyssey stroke lab 7s/ Bettinardi BB2

Lead tape enthusiast
  • davo32683davo32683 Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I saw these today too and was quite impressed. Might go back to blades even though I don’t need to. Just look like a joy to hit

Nothing is safe in my bag!
  • CSmithAMGCSmithAMG ClubWRX Posts: 152 ClubWRX

I’m curious, if you were going to do a blended set how would you decide between the HMB and CB for your long irons? I don’t want extra height or extra length. I’m also hesitant to go full MB. I guess it’s kinda like your first time riding a bike without training wheels. That bit of extra forgiveness is comforting.

Callaway Epic SZ with HZRDUS smoke green 70g 6.55<br />Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3wood HZRDUS yellow 6.5 <br />Callaway Epic 3 hybrid Hzrdus Black 85<br />Callaway Apex Pro Irons KBS Tour 130<br />Callaway MD Forged wedges S400<br />Scotty Cameron Futura 7M<br />Taylormade TP5X
  • golfinguru11golfinguru11 Bay AreaMembers Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@CSmithAMG said:
    I’m curious, if you were going to do a blended set how would you decide between the HMB and CB for your long irons? I don’t want extra height or extra length. I’m also hesitant to go full MB. I guess it’s kinda like your first time riding a bike without training wheels. That bit of extra forgiveness is comforting.

If you don’t want height or distance I’d stay away from hmb altogether. MMCs are more than forgiving enough for a good ball striker.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5* - Aldila 130msi Rogue Black 60 tx 
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - Accra TZ6 75 x
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 20* - VA Raijin 84 x
    Miura CB LH 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 125 s
    Vokey SM7 RAW 52F 56S 60D - DG S300
    Odyssey stroke lab 7s/ Bettinardi BB2

Lead tape enthusiast
  • MBBGMBBG Members Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@CSmithAMG said:

The MMC is as forgiving as HMB but without the extra launch height.

EFSZ Triple Diamond 10.5 with HZRDUS Green  
    Taylormade Original One 13.5 HZRDUS Green 
    TEE CBX119 5 Wood with Evenflow White T1100
    Srixon U45 23* with Aerotech i95 S
    Srixon 585/785 combo set with Modus 105 
    Vokey Cold Forged 51/56*, PM Grind 60* Modus 125 Wedge
    Odyssey Works SaberTooth

• MBBGMBBG Members Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Rep took my order and said they’d either ship or arrive Sept 9, guess we’ll see.

EFSZ Triple Diamond 10.5 with HZRDUS Green  
    Taylormade Original One 13.5 HZRDUS Green 
    TEE CBX119 5 Wood with Evenflow White T1100
    Srixon U45 23* with Aerotech i95 S
    Srixon 585/785 combo set with Modus 105 
    Vokey Cold Forged 51/56*, PM Grind 60* Modus 125 Wedge
    Odyssey Works SaberTooth

• CSmithAMGCSmithAMG ClubWRX Posts: 152 ClubWRX

@MBBG said:

@CSmithAMG said:

The MMC is as forgiving as HMB but without the extra launch height.

That was my impression. I’m think MMC 3-6 and MB for the rest. Sound right?

Callaway Epic SZ with HZRDUS smoke green 70g 6.55<br />Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3wood HZRDUS yellow 6.5 <br />Callaway Epic 3 hybrid Hzrdus Black 85<br />Callaway Apex Pro Irons KBS Tour 130<br />Callaway MD Forged wedges S400<br />Scotty Cameron Futura 7M<br />Taylormade TP5X

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file