Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Mizuno MP-20 MMC - July 2019

Comments

• Breezy-3-Breezy-3- Members Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭

Placed my order today! 4-9 MMC with Modus 120x and 3 new T-20 wedges, 46*, 50* both in satin, and 54* RAW. This wait is going to kill me..

Ping G410 LST 9* Accra TZ5 75 M5
    Taylormade M3 3HL Kuro Kage DC XT 80TX
    Titleist 915h 3H AD DI 105X
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-9 Nippon Modus 120x
    Titleist Vokey SM6 46* Nippon Modus 120x
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50*F, 54*S
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58* Raw 
    Piretti Matera Elite
    Taylormade TP5
  • kgeorge78kgeorge78 Members Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My Set is ordered

4-PW MMC S300
    52.09 56.10 60.10 T20 Chrome Wedges TI S400
    Lamkin Crossline in all.

Super Pumped - A tiny bit longer than my MP53 but not much in them. Hoping the TI helps on my misses. Plus they look unreal. And I like the gapping better - 22 deg 4 iron I can ditch the 3 iron and go right to 19 deg Hybrid.
    Not sure when I get them. Ordered tonight.

M6 10.5 ATMOS BLACK
    M6 ROCKET 14 DEG ATMOS BLACK
    Mizuno MP53 3-PW S300
    CLEVELAND RTX 4.0 52 56 60
    NEWPORT 2

• thebogeyputtthebogeyputt NYCMembers Posts: 68 ✭✭

long shot asking this question, but has anyone tried the MP-20 MMC heads with OBAN ct 115 shafts? Trying to at least upgrade my 7-PW to more players'/workable models now that my ball striking improved a lot + i'm hitting my short irons too far (i.e., need more spin). I currently play JPX 900 Hot Metals (yes, the game improvement model, lol).

• golf9596golf9596 Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

during my fitting I was comparing the MMC vs MB....The MB looks so good, but I know better at my age..I'm ready to pull the triger 4-pw w/$-tapper PVD finish.

Driver..Ping G410 LST-PO-70S
    3 Wood TM M6 (15*)  Project X 75-S
    TM Stage 2 18.5* Speeder VC7-S
    Apex Forged...4-PW $-tapper-S
    Putter.....Scott Cameron Select 1.5 Squareback
    Mac Daddy 48*... PM..51* & 57*
    Titleist 4up Carry
    Pro V 1 (2017)
  • thigosthigos El Paso, TXClubWRX Posts: 183 ClubWRX

Just hit all three 7 irons. Fell in love with the MMC based on the 7i. MB felt great but obviously punished misses more severely. I was impressed with the HMB for the hollow option. It was a little higher than the MMC, but no gain in distance for me.
    Considering the following
    4 HMB, 5-9 MMC, Pw MB

G400 Max 9* - Hzrdus Red H.C. 6.0
    M4 3HL 16.5 - Tour AD-IZ - 7s
    JPX 919 Forged (4-G) LZ 6.0
    Mizuno S18 - 54 & 58
    Vokey SM6 - 62* M
    StrokeLab Double Wide Flow Neck - 35"
    PV1x
    Current index: 4.9
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,327 ClubWRX

@jrshields3 said:

@eyeeye said:
    wonder if they'll be much different from my mp59's

They remind me of the MP 59s

Still a great iron. Major differences in the long irons but the MP59 7-PW remains as viable as ever. Remember how many purists knocked it when it first came out do to the co-forged titanium? I heard Chris V. say the 59 was as “neutrally weighted” a club as any Mizuno had made. I like they’ve kept the design profile going. No doubt the HMB and MP20 MMC are easier to hit in the long irons.

Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX Members Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SecondShot said:
    Here is the first picture of my new love :-)

you get out on the course yet with these?

• lordemsworthlordemsworth Members Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

From this view, the first thing that popped into my mind was how similar these look to the the 2014 Taylormade TP MCs.

• joakimjoakim Members Posts: 2
    edited Sep 11, 2019 7:26pm #160

icandy : Are the heads of the HMB slighly longer than the MMCs?
    No, at least I cant see a difference in the head length. When addressing the ball the HMB only looks slightly thicker from above.
    Got my set delivered today, 4-5 HMB and 6-PW MMC - I can just reconfirm that its the best clubs I've ever hit.

Now I saw the new T20 wedges in the shop today and that look will cost me another 3 new clubs - they also seem to have an amazing feel. Anyone that has tried the blue ones, isnt that strange to hit the ball with a very different color compared to the PW?

• SecondShotSecondShot #golfnerd GermanyMembers Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

@TrueWRX said:

@SecondShot said:
    Here is the first picture of my new love :-)

you get out on the course yet with these?

Unfortunately not before Friday... :-(

TaylorMade M6 Driver 10.5° (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S)
    TaylorMade M4 Fairway 15° (MCA TENSEI CK Blue Fairway 65 S)
    Mizuno MP-20 HMB Iron 3 (KBS Tour S)
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC Irons 4-PW (KBS Tour S)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Wedges 50.08 F, 54.14 F, 58.12 D (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)
    TaylorMade Spider Mini Red
    TaylorMade TP5
  • jetmech879jetmech879 Members Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting very impatiently for mine. I live in NC like 4 hrs from the Mizuno factory. I ordered my set directly thru a Mizuno rep on the 28th.

Taylormade M3 440 9° Diamana BF 70X
    Taylormade M1 2017 TI 16° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 18° Aldila RIP Tour 115 tour S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54S & 59D Nippon 125 wedge
    Taylormade Ardmore 3 red/white 
    Titleist Pro-V1
  • MBBGMBBG South of ChicagolandMembers Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I got unfortunate news sounds like mine won’t ship til Monday now.

S Yard T.388 Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 
    TaylorMade Original One 13.5* HZRDUS Green
    Titleist TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage XM
    Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3-6 MP-20 Blade 7-P DG AMT
    Mizuno T20 50 and 55 S400 TI 
    Callaway PM Grind 60
    PXG Operator LTD Edition “Darkness”
  • golfnut721golfnut721 Members Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2019 12:35am #164

Got mine coming. 4-pw 1.5 upright 6.5 project x. Can not wait.

Sorry guys - I’ll be on the course with my new sticks in about 45 minutes 😁😎

Titleist Vokey SM7 Wedges 50.08 F, 54.14 F, 58.12 D (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)
    TaylorMade TP5

@SecondShot said:

let us know how that goes haha

@thebogeyputt said:

@SecondShot said:

let us know how that goes haha

Lets get a live stream going here...

• mjbaker80mjbaker80 Members Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of the review video guys seem to suggest that they’d prefer the blades in 8-P or so. For y’all that have seen the whole set, what are your thoughts? I mean, I’ll stick take forgiveness in a 8, 9 etc so long as it’s not chunky. I do see in the picture about someone went blade in the PW which makes sense. I’m not Stenson, though...my thought is to go MMC all the way through. Thoughts?

@mjbaker80 said:
    A lot of the review video guys seem to suggest that they’d prefer the blades in 8-P or so. For y’all that have seen the whole set, what are your thoughts? I mean, I’ll stick take forgiveness in a 8, 9 etc so long as it’s not chunky. I do see in the picture about someone went blade in the PW which makes sense. I’m not Stenson, though...my thought is to go MMC all the way through. Thoughts?

Maybe I am blind, but the only noticeable difference for me was the back of the club (which I can't even see +90% of the time). Yes, the top line is thinner for MBs, but honestly I don't see why I can't get used to a slightly thicker top line for MMCs. We are talking millimeters here...so i would rather game something more forgiving. I could see why some did mb version for PWs...a thick top line PW does bother me, but that's because I am mental

edited Sep 12, 2019 3:02pm #170

I am curious about the progression of blade length through the set. I have only seen 7i and am wondering how much bigger the 4i may be. Voshall did say something that the MMC is very progressive set and lends itself to being played all the way through.

Mizuno S18 - 54 & 58
    Vokey SM6 - 62* M
    PV1x
  • mjbaker80mjbaker80 Members Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebogeyputt said:

@mjbaker80 said:

Maybe I am blind, but the only noticeable difference for me was the back of the club (which I can't even see +90% of the time). Yes, the top line is thinner for MBs, but honestly I don't see why I can't get used to a slightly thicker top line for MMCs. We are talking millimeters here...so i would rather game something more forgiving. I could see why some did mb version for PWs...a thick top line PW does bother me, but that's because I am mental

Haha! Love your sense of humor dude. Aren’t we all. And, I agree with you 110 percent. I know a guy who can still miss greens from 125-140.... me... so, bring on the forgiveness

• CSmithAMGCSmithAMG GeorgiaClubWRX Posts: 165 ClubWRX

Disappointed there’s no 3-iron. I was going to blend 3-6 of these with MBs. Maybe I’ll just go full “butter knife”

Callaway Epic SZ with HZRDUS smoke green 70g 6.55<br />Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3wood HZRDUS yellow 6.5 <br />Callaway Epic 3 hybrid Hzrdus Black 85<br />Callaway Apex Pro Irons KBS Tour 130<br />Callaway MD Forged wedges S400<br />Scotty Cameron Futura 7M<br />Taylormade TP5X
  • TdsjfbTdsjfb Members Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭

Spent an hour just hitting the MBs and MMCs with Modus 120s and 105s. Beautiful, is all I can say. Having said that, the MBs are decent size, not unhittable by any means for me (a 10). However, I'm going 5-PW on the MMCs. Great dispersion and a club longer than my current set (and the MBs)

WITB

Driver: Ping G400 LST (10 Degree) - HZRDUS Black (63) 6.0
    3 Wood: Ping G400 (14.5 Degree) - Tour 65 Stiff
    5 Wood: Ping G400 (17.5 Degree) - Tour 65 Stiff
    Hybrid: Adams A12 Pro (23 Degree) - RIP Proto 80
    Irons: Mizuno MX 300 (5-PW) - KBS Tour
    Vokey (50 Degree) Spin Milled - KBS Tour
    Vokey (54 Degree) Spin Milled - KBS Tour
    Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour
    Putter: Ping Redwood ZB
  • kgeorge78kgeorge78 Members Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

yep pissed at no 3 iron. I dont want a hybrid or a driving iron. I don't like the Hallow HMB I thought they were horrible
    The Titleist 510U was pretty good.

M6 10.5 ATMOS BLACK
    M6 ROCKET 14 DEG ATMOS BLACK
    Mizuno MP53 3-PW S300
    CLEVELAND RTX 4.0 52 56 60
    NEWPORT 2

• jetmech879jetmech879 Members Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kgeorge78 said:
    yep pissed at no 3 iron. I dont want a hybrid or a driving iron. I don't like the Hallow HMB I thought they were horrible
    The Titleist 510U was pretty good.

Keep in mind the mmc 4 iron is 22* loft. That is only 1* weak from a MB 3 iron. Just bend it a degree strong and there is your 3 iron. But I totally get it if you don’t want to add the offset. Could try the same thing with the hot metal pro 4 iron?

Taylormade M3 440 9° Diamana BF 70X
    Taylormade M1 2017 TI 16° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 18° Aldila RIP Tour 115 tour S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54S & 59D Nippon 125 wedge
    Taylormade Ardmore 3 red/white 
    Titleist Pro-V1
  • Breezy-3-Breezy-3- Members Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭

@SecondShot said:

How’d the new sticks fare for you today?

Ping G410 LST 9* Accra TZ5 75 M5
    Taylormade M3 3HL Kuro Kage DC XT 80TX
    Titleist 915h 3H AD DI 105X
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-9 Nippon Modus 120x
    Titleist Vokey SM6 46* Nippon Modus 120x
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50*F, 54*S
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58* Raw 
    Piretti Matera Elite
    Taylormade TP5
  • GmachineGmachine Members Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭

I just ordered my set today. Split the set, sort of.
    4 iron: HMB
    5-pw: MMC
    PX LZ 5.5, 1-degree strong in lofts

I demoed the MP-20s in three different store simulators. I originally wanted to get the full set in HMB (when I first saw pics online). Seeing them in real life, the HMBs definitely look great. But after demoing them, the weight just felt a bit off for me. Feel was good— a soft and springy like feel.. you can feel the ball jump off the club face. But had some
    chunky shots on the simulator and the offset on them was just a bit much in the mid irons. Definitely good for long irons but I use a 19-degree hybrid so I really only need a 4 iron and went HMB so I could get extra height in my 4-iron (my 180-190 yard club).

With the MMCs, the feel was so incredible. I was worried about forgiveness, but even my thin shots (my miss) still carried the ball just as far. The blade length was perfect. Next to
    no offset. And the chrome is like the sight of Santa when I was a kid.

MP-20 MMCs are definitely different from the MP-18 MMCs in regards to feel. They are softer and more of that forged feeling, as well
    as more forgiving on off-center strikes.

The store said they won’t start shipping until 9/20 but sounds like Mizuno is shipping pre-orders already? Is this true?

waitinggame

@Breezy-3- said:

@SecondShot said:

How’d the new sticks fare for you today?

Just hit two buckets of balls on the range. I've to get used to the new shaft weight (120 vs. 95 before) and a thicker grip (4 extra tapes vs. 1 before). And with my actual swing I need the lie bent 2° up. But the fitter and my pro suggested me to change a little bit in my setup (hands higher). Then I need standard lie.
    I didn't hit the balls perfect yesterday. But I'm on a good way ;-)
    First 18 holes are planned for today.

TaylorMade TP5

@Gmachine said:

I demoed the MP-20s in three different store simulators. I originally wanted to get the full set in HMB (when I first saw pics online). Seeing them in real life, the HMBs definitely look great. But after demoing them, the weight just felt a bit off for me. Feel was good— a soft and springy like feel.. you can feel the ball jump off the club face. But had some
    chunky shots on the simulator and the offset on them was just a bit much in the mid irons. Definitely good for long irons but I use a 19-degree hybrid so I really only need a 4 iron and went HMB so I could get extra height in my 4-iron (my 180-190 yard club).

With the MMCs, the feel was so incredible. I was worried about forgiveness, but even my thin shots (my miss) still carried the ball just as far. The blade length was perfect. Next to

MP-20 MMCs are definitely different from the MP-18 MMCs in regards to feel. They are softer and more of that forged feeling, as well

The store said they won’t start shipping until 9/20 but sounds like Mizuno is shipping pre-orders already? Is this true?

waitinggame

I went same shafts hard stepped and 1 strong. Will be my first time using the LZ's

The wait is killing me

• GmachineGmachine Members Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭

@TrueWRX said:

@Gmachine said:

waitinggame

I went same shafts hard stepped and 1 strong. Will be my first time using the LZ's

The wait is killing me

My last set were PXGs so I tried so many different shafts during that proper fitting and the PX LZs were my top two choices (ultimately went with DG 105s).

With the MMCs, i just felt more balance with the clubhead and PX LZ’s. Smooth swings and hard as I can swings just felt great. When I demoed the MMCs, I tried the DGs, $tapers, CTLs, Nippons but nothing felt better than the PX LZs. Great shaft for me and looks like great shafts for you.

Just placed my order from DD.
    4i HMB, 5-P MMC
    PX LZ 6.0 +1/4"
    D6 swingweight
    CP2 Wrap Mid.

Can't. Friggin. Wait. I have had the LZ in the past few sets and absolutely love them
    At least the research and decision part is over. Maybe I'll go ahead and get some actual work done

Mizuno S18 - 54 & 58
    Vokey SM6 - 62* M
    PV1x

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights