Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts or PM's. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Mizuno MP-20 HMB - July 2019

Comments

• eastrivereastriver VermontMembers  142WRX Points: 115Handicap: 14Posts: 142 Fairways

On -, @capking said:

On -, @eastriver said:

I have 2 T20s in blue and yes, they are great looking.

What did you go with? I got the 3i so I’m going to try with 2 wedges as well. I went 51* & 56*

I bought a 50 (low bounce), 54 (higher bounce), and 58 (low bounce). I've only been carry the 50 and 58 recently, though. wishing the 50 was a 52, actually. or that I had both. I'd like the option to switch between carry just 52-58, and 50-54-58. I have a feeling carrying less clubs with wider gapping might suit me better. I'll figure it out. Someday. Maybe.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • capkingcapking CanadaMembers  785WRX Points: 146Posts: 785 Golden Tee

On -, @eastriver said:

On -, @capking said:

On -, @eastriver said:

I have 2 T20s in blue and yes, they are great looking.

What did you go with? I got the 3i so I’m going to try with 2 wedges as well. I went 51* & 56*

I bought a 50 (low bounce), 54 (higher bounce), and 58 (low bounce). I've only been carry the 50 and 58 recently, though. wishing the 50 was a 52, actually. or that I had both. I'd like the option to switch between carry just 52-58, and 50-54-58. I have a feeling carrying less clubs with wider gapping might suit me better. I'll figure it out. Someday. Maybe.

Haha no doubt I just came from 52 56 60, but found I almost never used the 60. But the gap between my PW and the 52 was an issue, hoping a bent 1 strong 52 helps solving that problem.

Posted:
  • eastrivereastriver VermontMembers  142WRX Points: 115Handicap: 14Posts: 142 Fairways

On -, @capking I've had a very similar experience. used to have 52 56 60, except I often left out the 56. then decided to change my set up based on the standard 46* P in the HMBs.

another thing I'm considering is bending the 50 1 weak, but then the 54 would probably never get used.

Posted:
  • capkingcapking CanadaMembers  785WRX Points: 146Posts: 785 Golden Tee

On -, @eastriver it’s tough my rational with the gapping of 5* was it would be consistent with the 8i and up
    Posted:
  • Huntingchris0000Huntingchris0000 Members  1101WRX Points: 116Posts: 1,101 Platinum Tees

I bought the wedges today

Posted:
  • toddmanleytoddmanley Members  108WRX Points: 48Posts: 108 Fairways

The nice thing with the T20's is how you literally can get them in every loft. My HMB PW is 46* so I went 51/56/61 with the rest of my wedges and love them (all raw).

Posted:

Advertisement
  • herbert7890herbert7890 San AntonioMembers  365WRX Points: 239Handicap: 2.4Posts: 365 Greens

SELs came in today (3-4 iron are HMB, 5-PW MB) cant wait to try them!

Posted:

TaylorMade SIM Driver (set to 7.5 Degrees)
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3-Wood
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL Irons
    Callaway MD5 Jaws 50 Degrees
    Vokey Custom SM8 (56 and 60)
    Scotty Cameron Special Select 2020 Newport 2

• seanm135seanm135 Members  1WRX Points: 7Posts: 1 Starters

On -, @Houska said:

On -, @Huntingchris0000 said:

For the people that ordered a full set of HMBs have you experienced distance increases from your previous irons (what were previous irons)? Also how are the short irons distance wise? I have only been able to test 7 iron

I moved to the HMBs from the i500s...my thoughts

• HMBs are not as long by 5-8 yds
    • HMB distance control is much better than i500
    • Long iron confidence is great with the HMBs vs i500s but I loved the i500 look 7-PW (sleek)
    • The finish on the HMBs looks (my opinion) and holds up significantly better
    • Feel...not even close...HMBs

I'm playing i500s and considering switching to these... what are your thoughts in terms of a forgivability comparison?

Posted:
  • HouskaHouska ClubWRX  91WRX Points: 74Posts: 91 Fairways

On -, @seanm135 said:

On -, @Houska said:

On -, @Huntingchris0000 said:

For the people that ordered a full set of HMBs have you experienced distance increases from your previous irons (what were previous irons)? Also how are the short irons distance wise? I have only been able to test 7 iron

I moved to the HMBs from the i500s...my thoughts

• HMBs are not as long by 5-8 yds
    • HMB distance control is much better than i500
    • Long iron confidence is great with the HMBs vs i500s but I loved the i500 look 7-PW (sleek)
    • The finish on the HMBs looks (my opinion) and holds up significantly better
    • Feel...not even close...HMBs

I'm playing i500s and considering switching to these... what are your thoughts in terms of a forgivability comparison?

I find them to be very close in forgiveness. I would describe the difference here in head size or at least appearance. The i500 looks compact and forces you to concentrate on ball striking. I believe the HMB is slightly larger with a thicker top line. Perhaps the “sweet spot” size is the same area but head size is different.

Posted:
  • fullbodyfixfullbodyfix SF, CAMembers  113WRX Points: 43Handicap: 10Posts: 113 Fairways

On -, @herbert7890 said:

wow! nice - interested to hear your take on the blended set

Posted:
  • herbert7890herbert7890 San AntonioMembers  365WRX Points: 239Handicap: 2.4Posts: 365 Greens

On -, @fullbodyfix said:

On -, @herbert7890 said:

wow! nice - interested to hear your take on the blended set

Update: went to the range today and these were an absolute pleasure to hit and feel. Know I can really see the Mizuno slogan is real, as they felt like pure butter when flushed. Surprisingly, even the 5 iron blade was VERY easy to hit, with my stock draw and went super high as well. I

kinda wish the 3 and 4 were MBs as well but cant complain at all : ), I just had some slight overdraws with the HMBs Long irons, but I could get used to it with some time.

The MP-20s have fantastic Turf Interaction.. They really cut through the turf with such ease, it actually helped me in regards to a wrist injury problem I have. When I go to the range and hits tons of balls, I usually get my problematic wrist into sharp pain, but with these, NOTHING! I can only attribute that to the way they glide and cut the grass, vs my previous irons with bigger soles (T200s).

Today was a dream for me, so glad I joined the mizuno family and will gladly stay here for ever!

Posted:

Mizuno MP-20 SEL Irons

Advertisement
  • fullbodyfixfullbodyfix SF, CAMembers  113WRX Points: 43Handicap: 10Posts: 113 Fairways

Awesome

Posted:

On -, @herbert7890 what shafts did you get? I also have a bad wrist and, without a ton of evidence, think the Recoil 95s help me avoid pain.
    Posted:

On -, @eastriver said:

On -, @herbert7890 what shafts did you get? I also have a bad wrist and, without a ton of evidence, think the Recoil 95s help me avoid pain.

Project X LZ 6.0, best dispersion and numbers, second was $ taper.

Posted:

Mizuno MP-20 SEL Irons

• jrshelbyjrshelby Members  1530WRX Points: 302Posts: 1,530 Platinum Tees

So I'm LH and had a set of SEL. Everything felt great but the HMB felt completely dead. Anyone else have that experience?

Posted:
    TS4 9.5° Tour AD DI 7X
    TS2 13.5° Tour AD DI 8X
    T100 4-PW, 50° MODUS Pro 130
    Special Select NP2
  • jetmech879jetmech879 Members  1591WRX Points: 289Posts: 1,591 Platinum Tees

On -, @jrshelby said:

So I'm LH and had a set of SEL. Everything felt great but the HMB felt completely dead. Anyone else have that experience?

Nope. Complete opposite experience for me. I’m gaming The 2,4&5 iron in HMB 2 is 18*, 4 is standard 22*, and the 5 is 26*. All 3 are rocket launchers for me. What shaft are you playing in them?

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 TI 8° Fujikura Motore F1 7X WRX issue 
    Taylormade M1 2017 TI 15.5° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
    Taylormade GAPR Lo TI bonded 18 2 iron Tour AD 95X
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW Black KBS $taper 130X
    Vokey SM7 raw 50F, 54S & 58D Green Nippon 125 wedge
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    All Iomic Stick 2.3 grips and I-Classic Mid Putter grip
    Titleist Pro-V1 High #s

Advertisement
  • jrshelbyjrshelby Members  1530WRX Points: 302Posts: 1,530 Platinum Tees

On -, @jetmech879 said:

On -, @jrshelby said:

Nope. Complete opposite experience for me. I’m gaming The 2,4&5 iron in HMB 2 is 18*, 4 is standard 22*, and the 5 is 26*. All 3 are rocket launchers for me. What shaft are you playing in them?

Up grade to Modus 125 X. Came from 716 MB with same shafts. The SEL MB's felt great, it was just the HMB I had the problem with. Felt lifeless for lack of a better word,

Posted:
    TS4 9.5° Tour AD DI 7X
    TS2 13.5° Tour AD DI 8X
    T100 4-PW, 50° MODUS Pro 130
    Special Select NP2

On -, @jrshelby said:

On -, @jetmech879 said:

On -, @jrshelby said:

Up grade to Modus 125 X. Came from 716 MB with same shafts. The SEL MB's felt great, it was just the HMB I had the problem with. Felt lifeless for lack of a better word,

That’s funny! Exactly the same shaft I’m using! But in the 2 iron I went with a modus 105x. It’s my first experience with the modus 125. I have been a project x 6.5 guy for years but wanted to try something that might be easier on my old joints. So far so good. But joint pain is not gone.

Posted:
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    Titleist Pro-V1 High #s
  • todd08todd08 Members  9WRX Points: 5Posts: 9 Bunkers

Just got word Friday that I'll be getting 6-PW MB and T20 Satin 50 degree on Wednesday. HMB will be by the weekend. Making Club Champion ship them in batches and am happy to hear I'll have the coveted 4 iron along with the rest by Sunday. I'll post and let you know if they come through....

Posted:

so between the 5 HMB & 6 MB,

On -, @jetmech879, do you get the same 'crack' when you compress a shot properly? I would never say 'dead,' but the HMBs are not as responsive (or harsh) as the MP-32s I was playing before.

When I catch once nice with the 4i it is awesome the way the ball launches high and fast. It's become my favorite club.

Posted:
  • toddmanleytoddmanley Members  108WRX Points: 48Posts: 108 Fairways

Quick note - happy to report that going to the HMB's have paid dividends for my game (coming from the MP-18 blades). My shot data (using Garmin tech) pre-HMB showed that my thin shots were consistently leaving me a half club short on approach shots. Saturday at my home course I hit a thin 5-iron to a back pin location on a green with front bunkers. The old 18's would have landed me in the bunker - the HMB came in hot, cleared the bunkers and the ball came to rest on the lower front portion of the green. The HMB's are definitely helping my game.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • todd08todd08 Members  9WRX Points: 5Posts: 9 Bunkers

Question for those getting their MB's and HMB's and have also decided to go with the T-20 Wedges. I'm looking to get feedback on how they're fitting in with your sets and how they're playing. I went with a 50 degree to start to fill the gap wedge slot but am thinking of replacing my 54 and 58 Callaway PM Grinds as well. My issue with the PM G's is that they're not very forgiving either in full shots off the fairway or touch shots around the greens. Even with the varying bounces I have 8 & 10 I find I have to hit perfect shots to not dig ditches in soft ground situations or in think stuff around the greens. I find myself using my Apex AW now that has the much more rounded leading edge to avoid the chunks. Many times I hit the PM G's well but man there's payback if I don't catch it just right.

Posted:
  • asKaasaasKaasa Fred Fåkkåpz Members  128WRX Points: 89Posts: 128 Fairways

3-7 HMB and 8-P MB ordered. Very uncertain about the combo and where to split. I guess I’ll have to experience it... Can not wait!!!

Edit: Forgot to mention. Getting the T20s 51, 56 and 61 as well. All raw with stamping... I can’t spend another dime on gear now, my wife will think I am having an affair.

Posted:
    Post edited by asKaasa on

On -, @eastriver said:

so between the 5 HMB & 6 MB,
    On -, @jetmech879, do you get the same 'crack' when you compress a shot properly? I would never say 'dead,' but the HMBs are not as responsive (or harsh) as the MP-32s I was playing before.

When I catch once nice with the 4i it is awesome the way the ball launches high and fast. It's become my favorite club.

There is definitely a slightly higher pitch crack with the HMBs and the ball speed definitely seems higher with the HMB. The feel is still amazing though much like the blades.

I played this morning and am falling head over heals for this combo set! I really didn’t hit a bad iron shot all day. I hit 4 shots today that really stuck out. 8 iron from 155 to 3” on the 3rd hole, 4 iron from 200 to 8’ on 8th hole, 5 iron to 12” on 13th hole, and 7 iron from 165 to 6” on the 14th hole. I have never hit that many shots so close in one round!

I am on the fence about keeping the HMB 6 iron or not. The blend looks better between the 5 HMB to the 6 blade but I think I’d probably be better off with the HMB in that spot.

Posted:
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    Titleist Pro-V1 High #s

On -, @jetmech879 great golfstory. i'm vicariously living since I won't be making it out today.
    Posted:

On -, @eastriver said:

On -, @jetmech879 great golfstory. i'm vicariously living since I won't be making it out today.

Haha thanks! It was 35deg out when I teed off! Not your typical NC fall morning!

Posted:
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    Titleist Pro-V1 High #s

Advertisement

Upon playing yesterday with my new SELs, I have to agree the HMB do feel amazing and not much difference vs the 5-pw MBs. One shot that stood out with the HMB was in a long 230 yard par 3, I pulled the HMB 3 iron out and put it like 7 feet from the hole (with around 5 feet of roll), felt EXACTLY like an MB at impact and sounded amazing as well. I'm in awe with my SELs and this Mizuno buttery feeling.

Posted:

Mizuno MP-20 SEL Irons

On -, @herbert7890 said:

Upon playing yesterday with my new SELs, I have to agree the HMB do feel amazing and not much difference vs the 5-pw MBs. One shot that stood out with the HMB was in a long 230 yard par 3, I pulled the HMB 3 iron out and put it like 7 feet from the hole (with around 5 feet of roll), felt EXACTLY like an MB at impact and sounded amazing as well. I'm in awe with my SELs and this Mizuno buttery feeling.

I’m going to go ahead and say the HMB/MB is probably the best combo set I’ve ever played! They blend very well!

Posted:
    Post edited by jetmech879 on
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    Titleist Pro-V1 High #s

On -, @jetmech879 said:

On -, @herbert7890 said:

I’m going to g ahead and say the HMB/MB is probably the best combo set I’ve ever played! They blend very well!

I cant argue with that!!! I feel the same way!!! Even my old old Nike Forged pro combos cant beat the Mizuno- MP-20 combo. (I played the pro combos for 13 years)

Posted:

Mizuno MP-20 SEL Irons

Advertisement
  • Aviador NavalAviador Naval equus mortuus non caedis Members  1220WRX Points: 221Handicap: 3Posts: 1,220 Platinum Tees

For those that have ordered AND PLAYED an HMB/MB combo, where did you split them, did you bend them to close yardage gaps, and now that you’ve played them would you do anything differently if you could start over?

I’ve ordered a 5-6 HMB with 7-P MB but am waffling slightly. A back order on 5 HMB heads until next week has provided some decision space.

FWIW, other configurations I’m considering are only 5i in HMB, 5-7 in HMB, or stopping at 9i and ordering a T20 46 deg with same shaft as irons. Indecision sucks...

Posted:
    917 D2 9.5
    TS2 @ 16.5 and 20.25
    818 H1 @ 21 and 25
    718 T-MB 5i
    714 AP2 6i-9i
    48F, 54D, 58K
    Newport 2.5

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.