Mizuno MP-20 HMB - July 2019

1131415161719»

Comments

• jetmech879jetmech879  1394Members Posts: 1,394

@Aviador Naval said:
    For those that have ordered AND PLAYED an HMB/MB combo, where did you split them, did you bend them to close yardage gaps, and now that you’ve played them would you do anything differently if you could start over?

I’ve ordered a 5-6 HMB with 7-P MB but am waffling slightly. A back order on 5 HMB heads until next week has provided some decision space.

FWIW, other configurations I’m considering are only 5i in HMB, 5-7 in HMB, or stopping at 9i and ordering a T20 46 deg with same shaft as irons. Indecision sucks...

I pre ordered a full set of HMBs coming from the MP 18 MMCs and blades. I loved the long irons in the HMBs but in the mid and short irons I had no control or consistency. So I ordered the blades in 6-pw and could not be happier! I am thinking about putting the 6 HMB back in but am still uncertain. I think these blend the best at the 5 HMB to 6 MB. To my eye I feel like the 6 and 7 in the HMB look bigger than the longer irons. Then when you get to the 9 and pw in the HMBs the don’t look quite as bad. I haven’t been this in love with a set of irons since the Callaway X protos that I played for 4 years! (Personal record by 2 years😂)

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 9° Diamana BF 70X
    Taylormade M1 2017 TI 16° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
    Mizuno MP-20 HMB 18* 2 iron Nippon Modus 105X black
    Mizuno MP-20 4-5 HMB, 6-PW MB Nippon Modus 125X
    Titleist Vokey SM7 raw 50F, 54S & 58D Nippon 125 X&S
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    Titleist Pro-V1
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Aviador NavalAviador Naval equus mortuus non caedis  1163Members Posts: 1,163

@jetmech879 said:

@Aviador Naval said:
    For those that have ordered AND PLAYED an HMB/MB combo, where did you split them, did you bend them to close yardage gaps, and now that you’ve played them would you do anything differently if you could start over?

I’ve ordered a 5-6 HMB with 7-P MB but am waffling slightly. A back order on 5 HMB heads until next week has provided some decision space.

FWIW, other configurations I’m considering are only 5i in HMB, 5-7 in HMB, or stopping at 9i and ordering a T20 46 deg with same shaft as irons. Indecision sucks...

I pre ordered a full set of HMBs coming from the MP 18 MMCs and blades. I loved the long irons in the HMBs but in the mid and short irons I had no control or consistency. So I ordered the blades in 6-pw and could not be happier! I am thinking about putting the 6 HMB back in but am still uncertain. I think these blend the best at the 5 HMB to 6 MB. To my eye I feel like the 6 and 7 in the HMB look bigger than the longer irons. Then when you get to the 9 and pw in the HMBs the don’t look quite as bad. I haven’t been this in love with a set of irons since the Callaway X protos that I played for 4 years! (Personal record by 2 years😂)

Thanks. Are you playing the lofts straight-up or did you tweak the 5 and 6?

Posted:
    917 D2 9.5
    Original Ti Launcher 3w-15
    TS2 fw @ 18
    TS2 hyb @ 21
    5 T-MB
    6 MP20 HMB
    7-P MP20 MB
    50-12, 54F, 58D
    Old Mn-Bn Anser

@Aviador Naval said:

@jetmech879 said:

@Aviador Naval said:

Thanks. Are you playing the lofts straight-up or did you tweak the 5 and 6?

I ordered the HMBs to the SEL specs so the 5 is 1* weak. My blades are standard loft. I like 4* gapping on my irons.

Posted:
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    Titleist Pro-V1
  • Lumberjack627Lumberjack627  115Members Posts: 115

I ordered HMB 4-7 and MB 8-p. My irons arrived today (except 4 iron). I have to get out and hit them still but I feel for my game the best place was to split at the 7-8 iron.

Posted:
  • asKaasaasKaasa Fred Fåkkåpz  64Members Posts: 64

@Lumberjack627 said:
    I ordered HMB 4-7 and MB 8-p. My irons arrived today (except 4 iron). I have to get out and hit them still but I feel for my game the best place was to split at the 7-8 iron.

Nice! Please report your experiences.
    Did you do anything to the lofts?

Posted:
  • Lumberjack627Lumberjack627  115Members Posts: 115

@asKaasa said:

@Lumberjack627 said:

Nice! Please report your experiences.
    Did you do anything to the lofts?

I will I live in the north east so I don’t know when I will get a chance to but for me I did hmb irons 1 weak and mb irons 1 strong to make a more traditional loft like what I am used to with my current set.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ARL67ARL67 Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life  213Members Posts: 213

What is the opinion of the HMB vs the MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi , say in 6-5-4 irons ?

I keep 2 bags and have a set of MP-18 MMC in each ( 5-PW , one with C-Taper R+, and the other Steelfiber i95 Regular )
    In one set I replaced the MMC 5i with a MMC Fli-Hi 5i and it has been a much better club for me all season long.
    I liked it so much that I bought another gently-used MMC Fli-Hi 5i & 6i for my other set, which I plan to rebuild over the winter with a heavier shaft ( SF i110cw ).

Would the HMB offer much over the MMC Fli-Hi , specifically in 5 & 6 irons ?

Posted:

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
    Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65 Stiff
    Titleist TS2 13.5 with Diamana S+ 70 Stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 21 & 23 with Accra FX300H Stiff
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 5i & 6i with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 7-PW with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Cleveland RTX 54* & 58 Mid with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

• JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar  1874Members Posts: 1,874

I'm upgrading from my 900 forged and I'm torn between the 919F and the HMPs.

I'm leaning towards the 919F with stronger lofts with a view to buying the HMB 3 iron and strengthening the loft on it to fill that gap at the top end of my bag. Now, has anyone else done this? The standalone HMB utility irons in 3,4,5 don't have loft altering options and thus the gapping would be off.

Is the HMB set 3 iron, strengthened, still as forgiving. I'd be HMB 3 iron and then 4-PW in the 919F or HMPs. Curious as to your experiences with the longer iron.

Posted:

@JonnyKrasnodar said:

I'm leaning towards the 919F with stronger lofts with a view to buying the HMB 3 iron and strengthening the loft on it to fill that gap at the top end of my bag. Now, has anyone else done this? The standalone HMB utility irons in 3,4,5 don't have loft altering options and thus the gapping would be off.

Is the HMB set 3 iron, strengthened, still as forgiving. I'd be HMB 3 iron and then 4-PW in the 919F or HMPs. Curious as to your experiences with the longer iron.

I would not consider strengthening the loft of any Mizuno iron (and only a handful of wedges). They have quite low bounce compared to virtually every other manufacturer.

I say this as a guy who has played a lot of Mizuno irons since the early 90s and has a HMB/MB combo arriving tomorrow.

Lots to love about Mizuno but I wish they’d address this in future club design. Feels like playing without a safety net...

Posted:
    917 D2 9.5
    TS2 fw @ 18
    TS2 hyb @ 21
    5 T-MB
    6 MP20 HMB
    7-P MP20 MB
    50-12, 54F, 58D
    Old Mn-Bn Anser
  • mickeyplylermickeyplyler  5Members Posts: 5

Four iron still back ordered. Has anyone heard any dates?

Posted:
  • beluga99beluga99 If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too...  957Members Posts: 957

@Aviador Naval said:

@JonnyKrasnodar said:

I would not consider strengthening the loft of any Mizuno iron (and only a handful of wedges). They have quite low bounce compared to virtually every other manufacturer.

I say this as a guy who has played a lot of Mizuno irons since the early 90s and has a HMB/MB combo arriving tomorrow.

Lots to love about Mizuno but I wish they’d address this in future club design. Feels like playing without a safety net...

What combo did you end up going for?

Posted:
    917 D3
    917 F2
    i25 5w
    Anser 23
    Fli-Hi
    919T 6-P
    SM7 52F 56F 60D
    Odyssey

Advertisement

@beluga99 said:

@Aviador Naval said:

@JonnyKrasnodar said:

Stayed with 5-6 HMB and 7-P MB. I intend to leave the 5i @ 25, weaken the 6i to 29, and leave the MB as designed. I’m not opposed to weakening the 6i to 30 and then each of the MBs by one degree but will make that call after some time on the course. North of 5i is a 21 deg Titleist hybrid.

Posted:
    917 D2 9.5
    TS2 fw @ 18
    TS2 hyb @ 21
    5 T-MB
    6 MP20 HMB
    7-P MP20 MB
    50-12, 54F, 58D
    Old Mn-Bn Anser

@Aviador Naval said:

@beluga99 said:

@Aviador Naval said:

@JonnyKrasnodar said:

Stayed with 5-6 HMB and 7-P MB. I intend to leave the 5i @ 25, weaken the 6i to 29, and leave the MB as designed. I’m not opposed to weakening the 6i to 30 and then each of the MBs by one degree but will make that call after some time on the course. North of 5i is a 21 deg Titleist hybrid.

Sounds good. I would be interested in your thoughts as I noticed how similar our bags are. Titleist driver and fairway, I also have an 816 hybrid, Mizuno fli-hi for my 5 iron, 919T 6-P & Vokeys. Out of interest what shaft did you go for in the MP20s? I have the LZ 6.0 in the 919T irons, which feels nice, but can go a little bit left when I try and pound one.

Posted:
    917 D3
    917 F2
    i25 5w
    Anser 23
    Fli-Hi
    919T 6-P
    SM7 52F 56F 60D
    Odyssey

@beluga99 said:

@Aviador Naval said:

@beluga99 said:

@Aviador Naval said:

@JonnyKrasnodar said:

Sounds good. I would be interested in your thoughts as I noticed how similar our bags are. Titleist driver and fairway, I also have an 816 hybrid, Mizuno fli-hi for my 5 iron, 919T 6-P & Vokeys. Out of interest what shaft did you go for in the MP20s? I have the LZ 6.0 in the 919T irons, which feels nice, but can go a little bit left when I try and pound one.

I had LZ 5.5 in my 919T. It provided me the best ballspeed and launch angle during demo/test but I found on the course that my contact consistency suffered and I never truly loved the feel (it was fine - just not great) - and like you, leaned left more than I’ve dealt with in past.

I have a fairly decent idea of weight range and flex profile that I prefer but decided to do the Optimizer out of curiosity. C-Taper Lite-S, Steelfiber i110, and Modus 105-X were the suggestions with LZ 5.5 at the 5th spot. Tried a bunch of shafts but in the end went with the Modus 105 in X. Nice balance in swing, great feel at impact, very consistent contact and results. I liked that shaft felt good and led to good results in both full swings and knock-downs.

If weather forecast holds, I’ll get some grass range time and at least one round in this weekend. Will provide feedback.

Posted:
    917 D2 9.5
    TS2 fw @ 18
    TS2 hyb @ 21
    5 T-MB
    6 MP20 HMB
    7-P MP20 MB
    50-12, 54F, 58D
    Old Mn-Bn Anser

@Aviador Naval said:

@beluga99 said:

@Aviador Naval said:

@beluga99 said:

@Aviador Naval said:

@JonnyKrasnodar said:

I had LZ 5.5 in my 919T. It provided me the best ballspeed and launch angle during demo/test but I found on the course that my contact consistency suffered and I never truly loved the feel (it was fine - just not great) - and like you, leaned left more than I’ve dealt with in past.

I have a fairly decent idea of weight range and flex profile that I prefer but decided to do the Optimizer out of curiosity. C-Taper Lite-S, Steelfiber i110, and Modus 105-X were the suggestions with LZ 5.5 at the 5th spot. Tried a bunch of shafts but in the end went with the Modus 105 in X. Nice balance in swing, great feel at impact, very consistent contact and results. I liked that shaft felt good and led to good results in both full swings and knock-downs.

If weather forecast holds, I’ll get some grass range time and at least one round in this weekend. Will provide feedback.

Terrific, thanks for the feedback.

Posted:
    917 D3
    917 F2
    i25 5w
    Anser 23
    Fli-Hi
    919T 6-P
    SM7 52F 56F 60D
    Odyssey

@JonnyKrasnodar said:

If you liked the 900 forged and liked the size I’d consider a full set of HMBs. They are basically the same size as the 919f. I believe the HMPs are slightly larger than the 919f. Plus I can add having played both the 919f and the HMBs, there is no comparison in looks and feel. HMB wins all day.

Posted:
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    Titleist Pro-V1

Advertisement

@jetmech879 said:

@JonnyKrasnodar said:

If you liked the 900 forged and liked the size I’d consider a full set of HMBs. They are basically the same size as the 919f. I believe the HMPs are slightly larger than the 919f. Plus I can add having played both the 919f and the HMBs, there is no comparison in looks and feel. HMB wins all day.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'll be getting fit not this weekend but the following weekend so will see how the numbers stack up. Ultimately, I hadn't considered the fill HMB set because I haven't seen them in person whereas I have the 919 and like the familiarity.

Looking forward to it!

Posted:
  • Huntingchris0000Huntingchris0000  1056Members Posts: 1,056

I went from 900 forged to full set of HMBs. Honestly the full set of HMBs look great to me. I can use the extra forgiveness as my handicap has creeped up to a 5 from a 2 when I had more time to play

Posted:
  • golfcart22golfcart22 Tony P  185Members Posts: 185

@Huntingchris0000 said:
    I went from 900 forged to full set of HMBs. Honestly the full set of HMBs look great to me. I can use the extra forgiveness as my handicap has creeped up to a 5 from a 2 when I had more time to play

+1

Only able to play a couple of rounds but have really enjoyed these wrenches so far.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 w/PX Evenflow 10.5
    Ping G30 3W 14.5 w/Fuji Motore F3
    Mizuno H5-2i w/KBS ct-lite
    Mizuno H4 3&4 w/KBSct
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 5-PW w/Modus Tour120
    Cleveland CBX2 52 & 58 w/Modus Wedge 115
    Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport M2 / ProV1
  • Climb&GolfClimb&Golf  74Members Posts: 74

@JonnyKrasnodar said:

I've gone full set in HMB, and I've found the 3 iron to be incredibly forgiving. In fact it's my new favorite club which is bizarre. As an 11 right now, I have never even carried a 3 Iron before, I'm not the greatest ballstriker either. I usually go 4 iron then hybrid, but I thought I'd get the HMB 3 as a possible future driving iron.

First round out with the HMBs and first swing with it on course, I put it to the middle of the green from 195yds into a two club wind. That's a situation I'd usually lay up as it's so low percentage for me with the hybrid, it tends to balloon fade. After that I thought I'd try it in a few other situations, 5 out of the 7 times it was excellent, and the other two stayed in play so a huge success. Feels incredible when you catch it too. Best downwind off the tee was 242 yds right down the middle. It's an absolute rocket ship with great launch, even off a downhill lie. It's maybe even a touch too high for a pure driving iron, but I can already see I’ll have no issues hitting this into greens. There is a HMB 2 iron you could look at...

Posted:

@Climb&Golf said:

@JonnyKrasnodar said:

I've gone full set in HMB, and I've found the 3 iron to be incredibly forgiving. In fact it's my new favorite club which is bizarre. As an 11 right now, I have never even carried a 3 Iron before, I'm not the greatest ballstriker either. I usually go 4 iron then hybrid, but I thought I'd get the HMB 3 as a possible future driving iron.

First round out with the HMBs and first swing with it on course, I put it to the middle of the green from 195yds into a two club wind. That's a situation I'd usually lay up as it's so low percentage for me with the hybrid, it tends to balloon fade. After that I thought I'd try it in a few other situations, 5 out of the 7 times it was excellent, and the other two stayed in play so a huge success. Feels incredible when you catch it too. Best downwind off the tee was 242 yds right down the middle. It's an absolute rocket ship with great launch, even off a downhill lie. It's maybe even a touch too high for a pure driving iron, but I can already see I’ll have no issues hitting this into greens. There is a HMB 2 iron you could look at...

Sounds good...I will test the two iron as well as that might fill the gap better but ultimately I wanted to see who had experience of the set iron first of all. It certainly looks nicer than my current MP 18 fli hi so if it's as long and forgiving then it'll be going in my bag without too many issues.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • eastrivereastriver Vermont 75Members Posts: 75

gotta say that's got me pretty interested in getting both the 3 and/or 2 to play with as driving irons. glad to hear you're having such great results, @Climb&Golf

Posted:
  • DaRizDaRiz SoCal 1538Members Posts: 1,538

Lots of loft talk so sorry if I have missed this, but is anyone playing these with standard Mizuno lofts? ie 24* 4 iron, 27* 5 iron..

I want to turn my H4 long irons into HMBs, but will they launch too high if I am bending them 2* weak? I feel like I would have to redo the top end of my bag if I played a 22* 4 iron. Interested to hear if anyone has kept the standard lofts and what the distance changes were like vs their old setup.

Posted:
    TS3 8.5* Kiyoshi Purple 75
    TS2 15* Kiyoshi Purple 75
    818H1 19* Atmos TS Blue 85
    4-6 MP-H4 s300
    7-PW MP-4 s300
    SM5 50.12F 54.14F SM7 60.12D
    #7 MXM

Initial impression after first bucket from wet turf - wonder if I should have gotten the 6i in MB vice HMB. Will obviously give it more time this weekend but I found myself with a sense of deja vu from the JPX 919 Tour / Forged time. The supposedly ‘harder’ club isn’t and the supposedly easier club isn’t either

Posted:
    917 D2 9.5
    TS2 fw @ 18
    TS2 hyb @ 21
    5 T-MB
    6 MP20 HMB
    7-P MP20 MB
    50-12, 54F, 58D
    Old Mn-Bn Anser

@Aviador Naval said:
    Initial impression after first bucket from wet turf - wonder if I should have gotten the 6i in MB vice HMB. Will obviously give it more time this weekend but I found myself with a sense of deja vu from the JPX 919 Tour / Forged time. The supposedly ‘harder’ club isn’t and the supposedly easier club isn’t either

It is very strange but I hit my blades better in 6-pw than I did my HMBs. There is something very special about the blades this year. Now the HMB long irons are the best long irons I’ve ever hit hands down!

Posted:
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    Titleist Pro-V1
  • eastrivereastriver Vermont 75Members Posts: 75

oh man so after I add the HMB 2 and 3 and then 7-P in the MBs, I'll have bought almost another full set. i guess that's what happens when you start posting in this place.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War  3104Members Posts: 3,104

next set is HMBs or the cobra tec.. they make sense. enjoying the z forged so much now..but

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Srixon Z-Forged 120x 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 

@Aviador Naval said:

Strike two for the HMB 6i (cancelled the 5i - head on back order).

The ball flight, turf interaction etc from my MB 7i is great. Same with an old 716 T-MB 5i I took out today. Just not happy with the HMB turf interaction and a little thin seems dead whereas with the T-MB (and the MP20 MB 7i) a little thin is playable. Will give it one more range session and a round on the course but suspect an MB 6i is in my future.

Posted:
    917 D2 9.5
    TS2 fw @ 18
    TS2 hyb @ 21
    5 T-MB
    6 MP20 HMB
    7-P MP20 MB
    50-12, 54F, 58D
    Old Mn-Bn Anser
  • MBBGMBBG South of Chicagoland 1601Members Posts: 1,601

In my experience the trope that MBs don’t help with a thin miss has been greatly exaggerated. I mean obviously if you’re skulling it that’s one thing but the MP-5 and MP-20 MB both accommodate my common miss of a couple grooves low just fine.

Posted:
    S Yard T.388 Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 
    TaylorMade Original One 13.5* HZRDUS Green
    Titleist TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage XM
    Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3-6 MP-20 Blade 7-P DG AMT
    Mizuno T20 50 and 55 S400 TI 
    Callaway PM Grind 60
    PXG Operator LTD Edition “Darkness”

Advertisement

@Aviador Naval said:

@Aviador Naval said:

Strike two for the HMB 6i (cancelled the 5i - head on back order).

The ball flight, turf interaction etc from my MB 7i is great. Same with an old 716 T-MB 5i I took out today. Just not happy with the HMB turf interaction and a little thin seems dead whereas with the T-MB (and the MP20 MB 7i) a little thin is playable. Will give it one more range session and a round on the course but suspect an MB 6i is in my future.

Final post this subject. HMB 6i off probation. Made a slight set-up and ball position adjustment. Ball flight and dispersion much improved with a very nice gap from MB 7i.

Posted:
    917 D2 9.5
    TS2 fw @ 18
    TS2 hyb @ 21
    5 T-MB
    6 MP20 HMB
    7-P MP20 MB
    50-12, 54F, 58D
    Old Mn-Bn Anser

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list