Mizuno MP-20 HMB - July 2019

1235

Comments

  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,566 ClubWRX

    I have a feeling this may be a very big seller for them, may bring a new crowd to the MP side. I try to deny that I will be getting any, but am probably just fooling myself

    Epic 9* HZRDUS Smoke
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-9 LZ Blackout 
    Mizuno T7 - 45-49-53-58 LZ Blackout 
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • starsail85starsail85 Members Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Does anybody know if these can be altered for loft ?

    Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
    Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
    Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
    Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

    Ball - pro v1x
    Grips - Crossline cord

    Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58
  • Soccerrick10Soccerrick10 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

    @starsail85 said:
    Does anybody know if these can be altered for loft ?

    It's just a guess on my part. But, with a forged face AND hosel, I would assume the +/- 2 degrees that are on other Mizuno irons would hold true.

  • jetmech879jetmech879 Members Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Warrick said:
    I have a feeling this may be a very big seller for them, may bring a new crowd to the MP side. I try to deny that I will be getting any, but am probably just fooling myself

    You and me both brother! I have been back and forth with pre ordering. I know I'll end up pulling the trigger! I have a brand new set of black project x 6.5s that need a home in a set of iron! Lol!

    Taylormade M3 440 9° Diamana BF 70X
    Taylormade M1 2017 TI 16° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 18° Aldila RIP Tour 115 tour S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F PX6.5, 54S & 59D PX6.0
    Taylormade Ardmore 3 red/white 
    Titleist Pro-V1
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Pinging77 said:
    Love all the handwringing over offset numbers, like anyone could tell the difference in .3 mm between sets. The way different OEMs measure offset plays into the number, I’ve had sets that list higher offset than another set, but visually the higher number set looked like less offset. Then you have the other group that salivates for Ping to do a full set of Eye2s with its pushing 9.5 mm offset in long irons...

    I love all the handwringing about someone providing actual data and facts and not specifically making a comment one way or the other on whether the amount of offset is a good or a bad thing.

  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I love it when Vosh speaks on anything equipment related. I always learn a few things.

    PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

  • Pinging77Pinging77 NMMembers Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

    @Gary Gutful said:

    @Pinging77 said:
    Love all the handwringing over offset numbers, like anyone could tell the difference in .3 mm between sets. The way different OEMs measure offset plays into the number, I’ve had sets that list higher offset than another set, but visually the higher number set looked like less offset. Then you have the other group that salivates for Ping to do a full set of Eye2s with its pushing 9.5 mm offset in long irons...

    I love all the handwringing about someone providing actual data and facts and not specifically making a comment one way or the other on whether the amount of offset is a good or a bad thing.

    HUH? Let me guess that the “that is too much offset for me FAR outweigh the neutral to none comments on this and every other site over the years... Never understood posting offsets at all. The only comparable numbers are within the same company. Company compared to another company means nothing as everyone measures to different criteria, can’t even standardize on millimeters or inches... For that matter I got two versions on measuring offset within the same company from two different designers..

  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Pinging77 said:

    @Gary Gutful said:

    @Pinging77 said:
    Love all the handwringing over offset numbers, like anyone could tell the difference in .3 mm between sets. The way different OEMs measure offset plays into the number, I’ve had sets that list higher offset than another set, but visually the higher number set looked like less offset. Then you have the other group that salivates for Ping to do a full set of Eye2s with its pushing 9.5 mm offset in long irons...

    I love all the handwringing about someone providing actual data and facts and not specifically making a comment one way or the other on whether the amount of offset is a good or a bad thing.

    HUH? Let me guess that the “that is too much offset for me FAR outweigh the neutral to none comments on this and every other site over the years... Never understood posting offsets at all. The only comparable numbers are within the same company. Company compared to another company means nothing as everyone measures to different criteria, can’t even standardize on millimeters or inches... For that matter I got two versions on measuring offset within the same company from two different designers..

    You were originally talking about this thread, which is actually bereft of handwringing on the topic. I thought it was a crap thing to say. But lets move on and let people discuss the clubs. I understand your position clearly.

  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Carolina Golfer 2 said:
    I love it when Vosh speaks on anything equipment related. I always learn a few things.

    Agreed. His explanations made a lot of sense. Love my MP5s but will be testing them up against the new stuff.

  • dannykosdannykos Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

    So the question for me is how these compare performance wise to the Hot Metals? Presumably slightly less forgiving, and not as long - but with better feel?

  • vitritisvitritis Members Posts: 2

    I’m mostly wondering how they compare to the 919 forged

  • jordanrookiejordanrookie USAMembers Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

    Is the finish on HMB semi-satin?

  • RyRauRyRau Santa Clarita, CAMembers Posts: 51 ✭✭

    The common mans “blade”

  • Lenny2Lenny2 Members Posts: 37 ✭✭

    What article?

    @JeffreySpicoli said:

    @Warrick said:

    @sbjinx said:
    Wow they are thicc 🍑.

    Are these supposed to be more forgiving than the JPX or just the most forgiving of the MP bunch and the JPX will be more forgiving. Can’t imagine the JPX Tours being more so maybe it sits between the Tour and Forged.

    Probably goes HMB-919F-MMC-919T-MB

    According to Chris Vosh at Mizuno (per another golf website), the difference in the MP20 line is trajectory, not forgiveness or distance. That article is well worth a read.

  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    It rhymes with rye golf sky.

  • Hammer22Hammer22 Members Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Gary Gutful said:
    It rhymes with rye golf sky.

    Or...just type “Mizuno MP 20” in to Google. A lot comes up.

    nflam-button.png
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Google? Are we allowed to mention that website?

  • trhodetrhode Fitter / Builder Members Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jetmech879 said:
    I saw a post from trhodes saying they felt like the fli hi. Those feel pretty darn solid to me. I aggre 100% taylormade nailed the acoustics on the p790, not so much the feel though. I'm hopeful that mizuno would not release a MP iron that sounds hollow, even though it is.

    Got to see the full set yesterday and I am very impressed! Hit the 7 and Pw, very solid. Didn't have any clicky sound to them at all. The top line is very similar to the HM Pro. The main thing is, you can't see the back end sticking out at address. I will definitely be putting these in the bag to replace the Fli-hi #4 and SC 5-6.

  • mtex22mtex22 San Diego, CAClubWRX Posts: 2,212 BST Banned

    @trhode said:

    @jetmech879 said:
    I saw a post from trhodes saying they felt like the fli hi. Those feel pretty darn solid to me. I aggre 100% taylormade nailed the acoustics on the p790, not so much the feel though. I'm hopeful that mizuno would not release a MP iron that sounds hollow, even though it is.

    Got to see the full set yesterday and I am very impressed! Hit the 7 and Pw, very solid. Didn't have any clicky sound to them at all. The top line is very similar to the HM Pro. The main thing is, you can't see the back end sticking out at address. I will definitely be putting these in the bag to replace the Fli-hi #4 and SC 5-6.

    This is some great feedback! Did you get any launch or distance numbers?

    Anyone hit the longer irons that can report on sound/feel/launch?

    HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW-U 4 - Nippon 950 HT
    HONMA TW747V 5-PW - Modus 105
    TAYLORMADE Milled Grind Black 50/54/58 - Modus 115 Wedge Black
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • trhodetrhode Fitter / Builder Members Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I hit the 4 & 5 irons last week, they were awesome! Got up in the air very quickly.

  • therealjonzonetherealjonzone Members Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    They’re definitely larger than what Mizzy fans are used to, but for sure will be in the bag as a long iron replacement for most.

  • cav5cav5 Members Posts: 337 ✭✭✭✭

    Probably going to keep my 69s but add the HMB 3 iron. Bag done, lol

    M5 D+ ltd
    M5 19* D+ ltd
    MP69 PX6.5
    SM7 52/56/60
    DASS

  • EHolmEHolm Members Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭

    Hit the entire line including wedges on friday. Gotta say I was surprised by the distance i was getting out of the HMB. Def going in the bag as a driving iron and possibly in long irons mixed with MB and MMC. Easy got 10 more yards over my 790 udi even tough I was using the stock s300 shaft. Might as well put my 3-wood on bst right away

    PXG 0811X 7.5° Veylix Rome 888 X
    PXG 0341X 3W 13.5° Veylix Rome 888 X
    TaylorMade P790 2i UDI Veylix Rome 988 X
    TaylorMade P770 4-7 KBS $-taper black 130 X
    TaylorMade P750 8-PW KBS $-taper black 130 X
    Titleist SM7 Jet black 50-12F KBS Tour custom white X
    Titleist SM7 Jet black 56-10M KBS Tour custom white S
    Titleist SM7 Jet black 62-06L KBS Tour custom white S
    Odyssey Lucky 777 SB
  • Dmart33Dmart33 TampaMembers Posts: 17 ✭✭

    Look great for what they are

  • mtex22mtex22 San Diego, CAClubWRX Posts: 2,212 BST Banned

    @Pinging77 said:
    Got to try the whole set. Distance wise they were longer than the P790 (old), and same as Ping i500. They were not nearly as long as the Callaway Forged Epic or the Titleist CP02. Since they are not supposed to be “distance” irons I was still surprised at the length. The longer irons (3-5) were at least 1 club longer than the Muscle back or Cavity back models (same number). What was impressive was the feel. Easily the best feeling hollow to semi hollow iron through the 7 iron. 8 iron to P felt like a solid club. The other noticeable item was at address the back of the club wasn’t visible in the long irons. Excellent product...

    Wow great news. How dd the offset look vs P790?

    HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW-U 4 - Nippon 950 HT
    HONMA TW747V 5-PW - Modus 105
    TAYLORMADE Milled Grind Black 50/54/58 - Modus 115 Wedge Black
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • Pinging77Pinging77 NMMembers Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

    Looked very similar to me...

  • JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Leamington OntarioMembers Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Forged neck, sounds interesting.
    @Vosh can you speak to the feel and forgiveness of shanks? Any other MP line has always felt terrible off the hosel, I’m glad they’re finally addressing this.

    915 D2 10.5 Tour Ad Di 6s
    910 15 Diamana Whiteboard 
    P790 UDI
    Miura CB 501 4-PW PX 5.5 Rifle
    SM2 52, 56, 60
    Rory McIlroy Scotty Cameron
  • PowerCobra98PowerCobra98 Members Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 19, 2019 5:01pm #150

    @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:
    Forged neck, sounds interesting.
    @Vosh can you speak to the feel and forgiveness of shanks? Any other MP line has always felt terrible off the hosel, I’m glad they’re finally addressing this.

    +1

    If anything it just makes bending much easier.

    TaylorMade M3
    Callaway Epic 2H, 3H
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4i-6i
    Mizuno JPX919 Forged 7i-PW
    Callaway MD4 48S, 54C, 60C
    Scotty Cameron Fastback

  • starsail85starsail85 Members Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @PowerCobra98 said:

    @JoeJoeJoeUrBoat said:
    Forged neck, sounds interesting.
    @Vosh can you speak to the feel and forgiveness of shanks? Any other MP line has always felt terrible off the hosel, I’m glad they’re finally addressing this.

    +1

    If anything it just makes bending much easier.

    Can you order the hmb with altered lofts ?

    Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
    Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
    Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
    Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

    Ball - pro v1x
    Grips - Crossline cord

    Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file