Picking tournaments based on JGS

I was unaware of my son's ranking until a father of one of his friends commented on his ranking on JGS. He is in the top 50 of his class. Should I be more mindful of how tournaments affect his ranking when choosing his schedule? We were blissfully unaware up until this point and seemed to work out. He is only 12 so I don't even know if I should care at this point.

Comments

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Play against the strongest fields.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 24, 2019 2:03am #3

At 12 the best thing you can do is focus on them getting better scores. Lower you score diff and the ranking gets better.

When they get older worry about the tournaments they play.

• CTgolfCTgolf Members Posts: 472 ✭✭✭✭

@jigsaw1011 said:
    I was unaware of my son's ranking until a father of one of his friends commented on his ranking on JGS. He is in the top 50 of his class. Should I be more mindful of how tournaments affect his ranking when choosing his schedule? We were blissfully unaware up until this point and seemed to work out. He is only 12 so I don't even know if I should care at this point.

What year is he?

Class of 2027 doesn't even have 50 kids who qualify and class of 2026 has 93 total

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@CTgolf said:

@jigsaw1011 said:

What year is he?

Class of 2027 doesn't even have 50 kids who qualify and class of 2026 has 93 total

He said his boy was 12... I'm guessing 2025 of which there are more than 250.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If he is 12 you need to be very aware of the tournaments. When I have more time I will appropriately respond.

• jigsaw1011jigsaw1011 Members Posts: 33 ✭✭

@jigsaw1011 said:
    He is 2024.

Tough class to rank high in. #4 is a former DCP champion (he used to live near us), #10 was on The Short Game (Esquire TV Show), #8 is a really good player we used to play with, #24 is another local kid that my son played with on a PGA Jr League Team with until he went and joined a private course.

• jigsaw1011jigsaw1011 Members Posts: 33 ✭✭

Yes, it is a tough class. My son has had a good season playing in some of our PGA sections' two day tournaments in the 12-18 division and scoring well. He has also won some two day tournaments.

@heavy_hitter said:
    If he is 12 you need to be very aware of the tournaments. When I have more time I will appropriately respond.

Tik Tok @heavy_hitter ... we're all waiting. :D

• TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Recently I would say we have focused solely on SOF. No need to pay or play in a tournament that has 1 out of 10 kids ranked on JGS. Juniors have shelf lives per year and only a certain of tournaments in them.

Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights