Picking tournaments based on JGS

jigsaw1011 ·  
jigsaw1011jigsaw1011 Members  46WRX Points: 32Posts: 46 Bunkers

I was unaware of my son's ranking until a father of one of his friends commented on his ranking on JGS. He is in the top 50 of his class. Should I be more mindful of how tournaments affect his ranking when choosing his schedule? We were blissfully unaware up until this point and seemed to work out. He is only 12 so I don't even know if I should care at this point.

Posted:

Comments

• leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1833WRX Points: 1,154Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,833 Platinum Tees

Play against the strongest fields.

Posted:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members  1572WRX Points: 382Posts: 1,572 Platinum Tees

At 12 the best thing you can do is focus on them getting better scores. Lower you score diff and the ranking gets better.

When they get older worry about the tournaments they play.

Posted:
  • CTgolfCTgolf Banned  572WRX Points: 196Posts: 572 Golden Tee

On -, @jigsaw1011 said:

I was unaware of my son's ranking until a father of one of his friends commented on his ranking on JGS. He is in the top 50 of his class. Should I be more mindful of how tournaments affect his ranking when choosing his schedule? We were blissfully unaware up until this point and seemed to work out. He is only 12 so I don't even know if I should care at this point.

What year is he?

Class of 2027 doesn't even have 50 kids who qualify and class of 2026 has 93 total

Posted:
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1833WRX Points: 1,154Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,833 Platinum Tees

On -, @CTgolf said:

On -, @jigsaw1011 said:

What year is he?

Class of 2027 doesn't even have 50 kids who qualify and class of 2026 has 93 total

He said his boy was 12... I'm guessing 2025 of which there are more than 250.

Posted:

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3797WRX Points: 1,109Posts: 3,797 Titanium Tees

If he is 12 you need to be very aware of the tournaments. When I have more time I will appropriately respond.

Posted:
  • jigsaw1011jigsaw1011 Members  46WRX Points: 32Posts: 46 Bunkers

He is 2024.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @jigsaw1011 said:

He is 2024.

Tough class to rank high in. #4 is a former DCP champion (he used to live near us), #10 was on The Short Game (Esquire TV Show), #8 is a really good player we used to play with, #24 is another local kid that my son played with on a PGA Jr League Team with until he went and joined a private course.

Posted:

• jigsaw1011jigsaw1011 Members  46WRX Points: 32Posts: 46 Bunkers

Yes, it is a tough class. My son has had a good season playing in some of our PGA sections' two day tournaments in the 12-18 division and scoring well. He has also won some two day tournaments.

Posted:

On -, @heavy_hitter said:

If he is 12 you need to be very aware of the tournaments. When I have more time I will appropriately respond.

Tik Tok

On -, @heavy_hitter ... we're all waiting. :D
    Posted:

• TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members  342WRX Points: 244Handicap: 21Posts: 342 Greens

Recently I would say we have focused solely on SOF. No need to pay or play in a tournament that has 1 out of 10 kids ranked on JGS. Juniors have shelf lives per year and only a certain of tournaments in them.

Posted:
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX

Advertisement
  • Palmetto GolferPalmetto Golfer Members  168WRX Points: 103Posts: 168 Fairways

Thanks Heavy!!!

Posted:
  • NolesNoles Members  1629WRX Points: 243Posts: 1,629 Platinum Tees

I have recently started considering this when choosing tournaments with my son. In PA, come mid-October there is no telling what kind of weather a tournament could be played in. Throw in the shrinking daylight hours and heavy workload at school causing less practice time and there is really no upside to playing in a tournament that would get factored into his JGS ranking. Last year he played in a tournament in NJ at the end of October where it was 39 degrees and windy as **** when he teed off and the range was closed due to heavy rain overnight. Not exactly ideal scoring conditions. It's a shame because there are a few tournaments that we considered if they didn't have JGS attached to them. Saves me some $$$ i guess.

Posted:
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members  342WRX Points: 244Handicap: 21Posts: 342 Greens

On -, @Noles said:

I have recently started considering this when choosing tournaments with my son. In PA, come mid-October there is no telling what kind of weather a tournament could be played in. Throw in the shrinking daylight hours and heavy workload at school causing less practice time and there is really no upside to playing in a tournament that would get factored into his JGS ranking. Last year he played in a tournament in NJ at the end of October where it was 39 degrees and windy as **** when he teed off and the range was closed due to heavy rain overnight. Not exactly ideal scoring conditions. It's a shame because there are a few tournaments that we considered if they didn't have JGS attached to them. Saves me some $$$ i guess.

We had this same issue but at the beginning of the season. It was 40 outside. I think about 9 kids. He cant wait for this one to drop off.

Posted:
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3797WRX Points: 1,109Posts: 3,797 Titanium Tees

On -, @Noles said:

There is a 54 hold event Late January in North Florida. Big event. I have refused to play in it because of time of year and weather. Cold, Rainy, and Windy this time of year. Scores are always high at this event.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.