Hurricane Junior tour

The US Kids summer tour is done for the season and I was looking around for tours for my 10 yr old to play in the Richmond VA vicinity. Options were VSGA which has really gone downhill in the last couple of years in attracting a lot of players or the Hurricane tour.
Qn1 : Are the events well run?
Qn2: The HJT is charging 295$ for a 2 day event at a course that charges 55$ to ride 18 on weekends, that seems like an awfully high markup on a so so course.

Thoughts?

M1 Tour AD GP 6s
Bio Cell+ 3 W Red Tie
Adams OS 3 4 Hybrid
Mizuno MP H5 5 - PW
Miura Tournament 50 55 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comments

  • hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Anxious to hear responses. I almost signed up my son for one last year, but saw they do not post who or how many kids are signed up. I called the director and he wouldn't tell me, saying it would be released after the sign up window closes. So I passed and checked back to see that there was only one kid in the age group signed up. Left a bad taste that they try to wrap you in to a $255 tournament only to compete against 1 other kid. A golf pro once told me "it takes 2 to get 6 (signed up)".....

  • jigsaw1011jigsaw1011 Members Posts: 33 ✭✭

    For the under 10 crowd they get a very small field in our area. I have only seen two kids at the most. For the older kids I have found the tournaments to be pretty well run.

  • thekingsollythekingsolly Members Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

    Thx Jigsaw. I will hold off. For 300$ if it were a nice track it would have been a treat. Thx @hangontight

    M1 Tour AD GP 6s
    Bio Cell+ 3 W Red Tie
    Adams OS 3 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno MP H5 5 - PW
    Miura Tournament 50 55 60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 29, 2019 1:45pm #5

    Hurricane Tour Tournaments are some of the best run out there and worth the price. Obvious that they don't read the GolfWRX junior forums. The biggest complaint I have is that they don't show the field unless they have a certain amount playing. If tournaments doesn't have a quality field with at least 50 participants I am probably not signing him up for it. Have talked to many other parents that feel the same way.

    Post edited by heavy_hitter on
  • thekingsollythekingsolly Members Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

    thanks @heavy_hitter , I was just going off the rates at the course to ride 18 ~ 55 to 75$, and a 300$ 2 day tournament. I will give them a call.

    M1 Tour AD GP 6s
    Bio Cell+ 3 W Red Tie
    Adams OS 3 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno MP H5 5 - PW
    Miura Tournament 50 55 60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • cubuffscubuffs Members Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

    My experience with my son is a bit mixed. On the pro side, as Heavy mentions above, they are generally very well run. They also use technology where they hand phones out to each group that enables live scoring which is a great feature especially if you can’t be there to be able to watch as are scores posted in real time. In our area of Tennessee, they generally have events at good (private) courses which is an added bonus.

    Most of the cons have been listed, not being able to determine field size and strength is a definite issue. Here in Tennessee, some tournaments are well attended, others are not. We also have had some issues with weather situations and them not having the staff to adequately inform and thus get kids off the course. As to the cost, it is very evident that they are a for-profit business and therefore the markup is how they’re making their money. I do know they do offer free tournament entry fees if you were willing to host their staff, so again it’s very evident that they are a for-profit business trying to do everything they can to maximize margin (Can’t blame them for that).

    With that said, they are a definite choice for us as we look to plan out our junior tournament schedule. We are lucky enough here in Tennessee that Brandt Snedeker runs a summer tour which is phenomenal, but for spring and fall, we do supplement and play in a number of the hurricane events.

  • thekingsollythekingsolly Members Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

    great post @cubuffs I think till the kids hit 12 there is only but so much you can do. My son is 10, the 12 year olds in Richmond VA seem to have so many options to play all summer. There are so many invitationals that are at the city level for them to stay busy.

    M1 Tour AD GP 6s
    Bio Cell+ 3 W Red Tie
    Adams OS 3 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno MP H5 5 - PW
    Miura Tournament 50 55 60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 29, 2019 6:19pm #9

    @thekingsolly said:
    The US Kids summer tour is done for the season and I was looking around for tours for my 10 yr old to play in the Richmond VA vicinity. Options were VSGA which has really gone downhill in the last couple of years in attracting a lot of players or the Hurricane tour.
    Qn1 : Are the events well run?
    Qn2: The HJT is charging 295$ for a 2 day event at a course that charges 55$ to ride 18 on weekends, that seems like an awfully high markup on a so so course.

    Thoughts?

    Personally, we have steered away from the HJGT. While its a 36 hole event and that seems to be what everyone is after. I've heard the quality of the inner working has gone downhill. Rumor has it that a real estate company purchased ( a few years ago) it with the hopes all of getting of the information on players parents. Then they could market real estate properties to them.

    Post edited by TripleBogeysrbetter on
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • thekingsollythekingsolly Members Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

    good strategy really. :-) except nothing to do with golf. Junior sports is a money spinner for sure.

    M1 Tour AD GP 6s
    Bio Cell+ 3 W Red Tie
    Adams OS 3 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno MP H5 5 - PW
    Miura Tournament 50 55 60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,052 ClubWRX

    @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

    @thekingsolly said:
    The US Kids summer tour is done for the season and I was looking around for tours for my 10 yr old to play in the Richmond VA vicinity. Options were VSGA which has really gone downhill in the last couple of years in attracting a lot of players or the Hurricane tour.
    Qn1 : Are the events well run?
    Qn2: The HJT is charging 295$ for a 2 day event at a course that charges 55$ to ride 18 on weekends, that seems like an awfully high markup on a so so course.

    Thoughts?

    Personally, we have steered away from the HJGT. While its a 36 hole event and that seems to be what everyone is after. I've heard the quality of the inner working has gone downhill. Rumor has it that a real estate company purchased ( a few years ago) it with the hopes all of getting of the information on players parents. Then they could market real estate properties to them.

    Wow is this real? So we are signed up for the USKids Monterey Challenge in a few months, but heard that there is a HJGT tournament on the same weekend at a much better course (Bayonett Blackhorse). Its a 36 hole event and the entry is only $175, which is almost half the USKids fee. Given what I've heard so far, it seems like we should pass on the HJGT. The only way I would consider it was if there was going to be good competition.

  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @kekoa said:

    @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

    @thekingsolly said:
    The US Kids summer tour is done for the season and I was looking around for tours for my 10 yr old to play in the Richmond VA vicinity. Options were VSGA which has really gone downhill in the last couple of years in attracting a lot of players or the Hurricane tour.
    Qn1 : Are the events well run?
    Qn2: The HJT is charging 295$ for a 2 day event at a course that charges 55$ to ride 18 on weekends, that seems like an awfully high markup on a so so course.

    Thoughts?

    Personally, we have steered away from the HJGT. While its a 36 hole event and that seems to be what everyone is after. I've heard the quality of the inner working has gone downhill. Rumor has it that a real estate company purchased ( a few years ago) it with the hopes all of getting of the information on players parents. Then they could market real estate properties to them.

    Wow is this real? So we are signed up for the USKids Monterey Challenge in a few months, but heard that there is a HJGT tournament on the same weekend at a much better course (Bayonett Blackhorse). Its a 36 hole event and the entry is only $175, which is almost half the USKids fee. Given what I've heard so far, it seems like we should pass on the HJGT. The only way I would consider it was if there was going to be good competition.

    Not one boy signed up in Ben's division yet.

  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @heavy_hitter said:

    @kekoa said:

    @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

    @thekingsolly said:
    The US Kids summer tour is done for the season and I was looking around for tours for my 10 yr old to play in the Richmond VA vicinity. Options were VSGA which has really gone downhill in the last couple of years in attracting a lot of players or the Hurricane tour.
    Qn1 : Are the events well run?
    Qn2: The HJT is charging 295$ for a 2 day event at a course that charges 55$ to ride 18 on weekends, that seems like an awfully high markup on a so so course.

    Thoughts?

    Personally, we have steered away from the HJGT. While its a 36 hole event and that seems to be what everyone is after. I've heard the quality of the inner working has gone downhill. Rumor has it that a real estate company purchased ( a few years ago) it with the hopes all of getting of the information on players parents. Then they could market real estate properties to them.

    Wow is this real? So we are signed up for the USKids Monterey Challenge in a few months, but heard that there is a HJGT tournament on the same weekend at a much better course (Bayonett Blackhorse). Its a 36 hole event and the entry is only $175, which is almost half the USKids fee. Given what I've heard so far, it seems like we should pass on the HJGT. The only way I would consider it was if there was going to be good competition.

    Not one boy signed up in Ben's division yet.

    Play him up @kekoa - he can hang with JG, EH and AA. It's only 5,675 yards.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,052 ClubWRX

    @leezer99 said:

    @heavy_hitter said:

    @kekoa said:

    @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

    @thekingsolly said:
    The US Kids summer tour is done for the season and I was looking around for tours for my 10 yr old to play in the Richmond VA vicinity. Options were VSGA which has really gone downhill in the last couple of years in attracting a lot of players or the Hurricane tour.
    Qn1 : Are the events well run?
    Qn2: The HJT is charging 295$ for a 2 day event at a course that charges 55$ to ride 18 on weekends, that seems like an awfully high markup on a so so course.

    Thoughts?

    Personally, we have steered away from the HJGT. While its a 36 hole event and that seems to be what everyone is after. I've heard the quality of the inner working has gone downhill. Rumor has it that a real estate company purchased ( a few years ago) it with the hopes all of getting of the information on players parents. Then they could market real estate properties to them.

    Wow is this real? So we are signed up for the USKids Monterey Challenge in a few months, but heard that there is a HJGT tournament on the same weekend at a much better course (Bayonett Blackhorse). Its a 36 hole event and the entry is only $175, which is almost half the USKids fee. Given what I've heard so far, it seems like we should pass on the HJGT. The only way I would consider it was if there was going to be good competition.

    Not one boy signed up in Ben's division yet.

    Play him up @kekoa - he can hang with JG, EH and AA. It's only 5,675 yards.

    You crazy man? JG and EH each have Ben by like 75 lbs.

  • mocabomocabo Members Posts: 2
    edited Aug 13, 2019 9:32pm #15

    we've done a number of Hurricane tournaments. Haven't experienced any of the real estate marketing issues.. Mario Conte has owned the tour since the beginning. I do know that Tiger Woods and Justin Timberlake bought a stake of company a few years ago. The only issue we've ever had is the price (which is no different then FCG or US Kids) and field size (small on west coast). They just haven't been able to take away market share from the established tours on the west coast. BUT they run a much better tournament. Swag is always pretty good. Always officials around when needed. Never slow play issues. Social media is the best. Their ambassador program is super cool. Plus each group during a round is provided a cell phone with HJGT app that shows LIVE SCORING so you always know where you stand during a tournament. I was happy to see that they lowered the price to $175 for this event. Hopefully people will play and see for themselves.

  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @mocabo said:
    we've done a number of Hurricane tournaments. Haven't experienced any of the real estate marketing issues.. Mario Conte has owned the tour since the beginning. I do know that Tiger Woods and Justin Timberlake bought a stake of company a few years ago. The only issue we've ever had is the price (which is no different then FCG or US Kids) and field size (small on west coast). They just haven't been able to take away market share from the established tours on the west coast. BUT they run a much better tournament. Swag is always pretty good. Always officials around when needed. Never slow play issues. Social media is the best. Their ambassador program is super cool. Plus each group during a round is provided a cell phone with HJGT app that shows LIVE SCORING so you always know where you stand during a tournament. I was happy to see that they lowered the price to $175 for this event. Hopefully people will play and see for themselves.

    Their events are the same in Florida. Really well run events, but they can't compete with the state FJT and PGA tours. They price themselves out in my opinion and the better players don't play Hurricane events in Florida. My son has only played in one which was on a whim last year. Very well run. Slow play was terrible.

    Their new website is awful.

  • mocabomocabo Members Posts: 2

    so at the end of the day is you are planning on November 2-3 trip to Monterey and your choice is between US Kids Monterey Challenge at $375 (at Monterey Pines, Laguna Seca, or Del Monte) vs. Hurricane tour at $175 at Bayonet and Black Horse. Then I'd choose HJGT any day of the week...Assuming there are at least 5 kids in my division so scores count towards JuniorGolfScoreboard. Both tours are highly visible with signage (so it looks like a big deal to kids upon arrival to course).
    Both tours offer cool swag.
    Both usually offer food or lunch coupons.

    Big difference for me is HJGT has more interns around when needed and pace of play is always enforced.

  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,052 ClubWRX

    @mocabo said:
    we've done a number of Hurricane tournaments. Haven't experienced any of the real estate marketing issues.. Mario Conte has owned the tour since the beginning. I do know that Tiger Woods and Justin Timberlake bought a stake of company a few years ago. The only issue we've ever had is the price (which is no different then FCG or US Kids) and field size (small on west coast). They just haven't been able to take away market share from the established tours on the west coast. BUT they run a much better tournament. Swag is always pretty good. Always officials around when needed. Never slow play issues. Social media is the best. Their ambassador program is super cool. Plus each group during a round is provided a cell phone with HJGT app that shows LIVE SCORING so you always know where you stand during a tournament. I was happy to see that they lowered the price to $175 for this event. Hopefully people will play and see for themselves.

    Hey Moe,
    I think we met at Alhambra. If we can get the whole crew to sign up it may be worth joining. I'll let you know.

  • unclejimunclejim Members Posts: 34 ✭✭

    The field information is always out there. You just need to look a little harder.

  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

    @mocabo said:
    we've done a number of Hurricane tournaments. Haven't experienced any of the real estate marketing issues.. Mario Conte has owned the tour since the beginning. I do know that Tiger Woods and Justin Timberlake bought a stake of company a few years ago. The only issue we've ever had is the price (which is no different then FCG or US Kids) and field size (small on west coast). They just haven't been able to take away market share from the established tours on the west coast. BUT they run a much better tournament. Swag is always pretty good. Always officials around when needed. Never slow play issues. Social media is the best. Their ambassador program is super cool. Plus each group during a round is provided a cell phone with HJGT app that shows LIVE SCORING so you always know where you stand during a tournament. I was happy to see that they lowered the price to $175 for this event. Hopefully people will play and see for themselves.

    My understanding is Mario sold it. He is still in a leadership role, but no longer actually owns HJGT.

    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file