2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fellow Gym Rats...

I think a general strength training program is best.

Squats, deadlifts, bench presses... A strong back and strong legs/core have definitely helped my game.

Basic beginner programming should do the trick for most people I think.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

In the past I went to the gym 5 days a week and lifted heavy. Looking back, I might’ve been a little too big for golf. My flexibility was impaired and I was constantly dealing with sore muscles on the course. I’ve been much better off doing yoga, stretching. Hitting the gym maybe 3 days a week tops and getting in light workouts now.

• Like 1

I was a slob 12 months ago at age 46... and my game was going downhill, fast. I am a former HS and College player, low HC index. I was so tired of being a slob... and then, something clicked out of the blue, and I started to hit the gym again... hard. (I used to lift up until 10 years ago). I started reading the 5/3/1 series by Jim Wendler... I am not training to be a power lifter or a body builder, but for strength and overall fitness. All I can say is that it is paying dividends big time this season. I lost 60 lbs in the last 12 months. My PCP is thrilled with my efforts too. I am much longer off the tee without a doubt, and much better stamina (no wearing down by the end of the round). My regular playing partners are finally convinced it works and are contemplating jumping on board with some kind of fitness program. I hope they do for their overall health. I am not moving massive weights, but I am following a program and have my nutrition back in check again and really enjoying the game like I did 15 years ago.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

For me, it's a combination of weight training (squats/deadlifts/over head press/bench + accessory moves), HIIT & yoga. Layer in some cardio to get the blood pumping on gym days. Anything explosive to help with a solid lower body (read: ground interaction). I also walk most every round so the gym work really helps condition my body for the last 6 holes where you can potentially take advantage of being fresh (more match play focused but definitely helps in stroke, too, with not losing focus down the stretch). Unfortunately, no real distance gains yet but the yoga has definitely helped with flexibility.

TBM

• Like 1

It's nice to hear of people getting noticeable results. I'm a dad with a job (only one job these days...feels semi-retired as opposed to having 2 jobs) so time is limited. I'm getting into the gym twice a week, but used to 3 times for many years. I do shotput-against-the-wall drill with 6 or 8 pound medicine ball after spending time on the floor doing crunches and bridges to start out. I emphasize legs and back in my routines. Neglected (in my view) my upper body a bit more recently but that didn't hinder my golf swing, probably helped it. Legs are certainly stronger these days. Love to stretch whenever I can...even here at the office I'll go into the little library near my desk and get on the floor and stretch each day. I still have what seems like limitless strength in my legs. I can load up as much weight as I can lift up to the rack or bar and keep going. But my joints and back are the concern anymore, so I am using my brain and trying to do more reps. Hoping to explore some more hip mobility work.

After 50 you gotta start being more realistic and turning down the youthful exuberance. One guy I play with was an exceptional driver of the ball for his age - late 60s and was hitting them 265 down the fairway. He was lifting for quite some time, and pretty built. Recently developed a bulging disk (which I think can be a result) and had to pull out of our last round at the turn. Sad for him.

I spent my 40s seriously training in a local boxing gym. That period was really impactful in my life, making a huge difference. I'd like to go back. Just need more time...

• Like 1

> @cmb71 said:

> I was a slob 12 months ago at age 46... and my game was going downhill, fast. I am a former HS and College player, low HC index. I was so tired of being a slob... and then, something clicked out of the blue, and I started to hit the gym again... hard. (I used to lift up until 10 years ago). I started reading the 5/3/1 series by Jim Wendler... I am not training to be a power lifter or a body builder, but for strength and overall fitness. All I can say is that it is paying dividends big time this season. I lost 60 lbs in the last 12 months. My PCP is thrilled with my efforts too. I am much longer off the tee without a doubt, and much better stamina (no wearing down by the end of the round). My regular playing partners are finally convinced it works and are contemplating jumping on board with some kind of fitness program. I hope they do for their overall health. I am not moving massive weights, but I am following a program and have my nutrition back in check again and really enjoying the game like I did 15 years ago.

This. Wendler 5/3/1 is an amazing program. You can customize the programming to your needs. Want to get big and bulky? There's a version of the workout that does just that. Want to get strong and atheletic? There's a version that helps with that.

It's probably the best overall strength training program you can do. It's pretty simple too, IF you know your 1 rep maximum for the major lifts. If you don't, I'd suggest you start with something like Starting Strength, by Mark Rippitoe.

• Like 1

I'd never hit the gym in my life until I began about 5 years ago. I don't care about bulking up - strictly doing it to keep pain-free and injury-free on the golf course. Back, chest, legs and core. I mix in shooting hoops almost more than lifting. Most importantly I do a daily golf-related stretching routine. Can't say any of it helps with my swing but I can walk any course and still feel fresh and wanting more after 18 holes. Not bad for a mid-40s geeza

• Like 2

I do crossfit (LOL crossfit), try to get in 3 times per week, but realistically I'm happy with twice per week. For me, the group setting, with a combination of encouragement and kick in the a$$ is where its at. But its an intense hour of working out, so as I get into my 40's I'm curious how long I can keep it up. Plus it gets in a solid lift, if not two, plus a bunch of cardio/yoga that I would never do by myself.

• Like 1

> @wrm2120 said:

> > @cmb71 said:

> > I was a slob 12 months ago at age 46... and my game was going downhill, fast. I am a former HS and College player, low HC index. I was so tired of being a slob... and then, something clicked out of the blue, and I started to hit the gym again... hard. (I used to lift up until 10 years ago). I started reading the 5/3/1 series by Jim Wendler... I am not training to be a power lifter or a body builder, but for strength and overall fitness. All I can say is that it is paying dividends big time this season. I lost 60 lbs in the last 12 months. My PCP is thrilled with my efforts too. I am much longer off the tee without a doubt, and much better stamina (no wearing down by the end of the round). My regular playing partners are finally convinced it works and are contemplating jumping on board with some kind of fitness program. I hope they do for their overall health. I am not moving massive weights, but I am following a program and have my nutrition back in check again and really enjoying the game like I did 15 years ago.

>

> This. Wendler 5/3/1 is an amazing program. You can customize the programming to your needs. Want to get big and bulky? There's a version of the workout that does just that. Want to get strong and atheletic? There's a version that helps with that.

>

> It's probably the best overall strength training program you can do. It's pretty simple too, IF you know your 1 rep maximum for the major lifts. If you don't, I'd suggest you start with something like Starting Strength, by Mark Rippitoe.

Exactly right... options galore! And while Jim's writing style may be hard to follow, if you read all his books like I have you can understand his intent. I am currently on The Krypteia program, and I am going to try the BBB Forever in the offseason to add a little bulk. Good advice on Starting Strength for those with limited/no lifting experience too. My only other advice is don't skip the conditioning part of his programs. Weighted vest walks, cycling/running are so important to maximize your efforts.

> @jmkenn0 said:

> I do crossfit (LOL crossfit), try to get in 3 times per week, but realistically I'm happy with twice per week. For me, the group setting, with a combination of encouragement and kick in the a$$ is where its at. But its an intense hour of working out, so as I get into my 40's I'm curious how long I can keep it up. Plus it gets in a solid lift, if not two, plus a bunch of cardio/yoga that I would never do by myself.

Enjoy going to snap city with a side of “lack of discipline”. I jest I jest. CrossFit gets a bad rap but that’s because the huge majority of people doing it are attempting lifts and movements very wrong and hurt themselves.

I, personally, wake up and either do calisthenics or a jog almost every morning and then gym for no more than 45-60 minutes (including 10 minutes plus of stretching) about 6 days a week. I’m about 165. Naturally an ectomorph which means muscle mass comes very hard for me no matter the diet or regimen I’m on. I eat most everything in sight.

Now for the OP, I’ll say the gym definitely has its place in golf. So does Yoga, calisthenics, and cardio. But, if you’re looking at the gym to be you’re cure to bad golf, I say there is no such luck.

I hit the ball far because I overswing, have a big turn, and have pretty good coordination from hitting over a thousand balls a week since I was little. I’m now learning that a shorter swing with more predictable contact is the way to play and wished I learned that as a kid but, I was so damn little that I just had a ton of speed and no power. Find your balance between the two but focus on playing more than working out.

Malleability / flexibility / speed > raw muscle power. But it does help.

Notwithstanding some gaps, been working out and going to the gym 3-5 times a week since my football days. The fact that I am still hitting the ball a respectable distance and maintaining my index while pushing on 70 years old is a testament to discipline, exercise regime, and cycling.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @cmb71 said:

> > @wrm2120 said:

> > > @cmb71 said:

> > > I was a slob 12 months ago at age 46... and my game was going downhill, fast. I am a former HS and College player, low HC index. I was so tired of being a slob... and then, something clicked out of the blue, and I started to hit the gym again... hard. (I used to lift up until 10 years ago). I started reading the 5/3/1 series by Jim Wendler... I am not training to be a power lifter or a body builder, but for strength and overall fitness. All I can say is that it is paying dividends big time this season. I lost 60 lbs in the last 12 months. My PCP is thrilled with my efforts too. I am much longer off the tee without a doubt, and much better stamina (no wearing down by the end of the round). My regular playing partners are finally convinced it works and are contemplating jumping on board with some kind of fitness program. I hope they do for their overall health. I am not moving massive weights, but I am following a program and have my nutrition back in check again and really enjoying the game like I did 15 years ago.

> >

> > This. Wendler 5/3/1 is an amazing program. You can customize the programming to your needs. Want to get big and bulky? There's a version of the workout that does just that. Want to get strong and atheletic? There's a version that helps with that.

> >

> > It's probably the best overall strength training program you can do. It's pretty simple too, IF you know your 1 rep maximum for the major lifts. If you don't, I'd suggest you start with something like Starting Strength, by Mark Rippitoe.

>

> Exactly right... options galore! And while Jim's writing style may be hard to follow, if you read all his books like I have you can understand his intent. I am currently on The Krypteia program, and I am going to try the BBB Forever in the offseason to add a little bulk. Good advice on Starting Strength for those with limited/no lifting experience too. My only other advice is don't skip the conditioning part of his programs. Weighted vest walks, cycling/running are so important to maximize your efforts.

The BBB protocol is a killer, especially on Deadlift and Squat days lol. Have you heard of the BBB three month challenge? It is awesome.

• Like 1

> @wrm2120 said:

> > @cmb71 said:

> > > @wrm2120 said:

> > > > @cmb71 said:

> > > > I was a slob 12 months ago at age 46... and my game was going downhill, fast. I am a former HS and College player, low HC index. I was so tired of being a slob... and then, something clicked out of the blue, and I started to hit the gym again... hard. (I used to lift up until 10 years ago). I started reading the 5/3/1 series by Jim Wendler... I am not training to be a power lifter or a body builder, but for strength and overall fitness. All I can say is that it is paying dividends big time this season. I lost 60 lbs in the last 12 months. My PCP is thrilled with my efforts too. I am much longer off the tee without a doubt, and much better stamina (no wearing down by the end of the round). My regular playing partners are finally convinced it works and are contemplating jumping on board with some kind of fitness program. I hope they do for their overall health. I am not moving massive weights, but I am following a program and have my nutrition back in check again and really enjoying the game like I did 15 years ago.

> > >

> > > This. Wendler 5/3/1 is an amazing program. You can customize the programming to your needs. Want to get big and bulky? There's a version of the workout that does just that. Want to get strong and atheletic? There's a version that helps with that.

> > >

> > > It's probably the best overall strength training program you can do. It's pretty simple too, IF you know your 1 rep maximum for the major lifts. If you don't, I'd suggest you start with something like Starting Strength, by Mark Rippitoe.

> >

> > Exactly right... options galore! And while Jim's writing style may be hard to follow, if you read all his books like I have you can understand his intent. I am currently on The Krypteia program, and I am going to try the BBB Forever in the offseason to add a little bulk. Good advice on Starting Strength for those with limited/no lifting experience too. My only other advice is don't skip the conditioning part of his programs. Weighted vest walks, cycling/running are so important to maximize your efforts.

>

> The BBB protocol is a killer, especially on Deadlift and Squat days lol. Have you heard of the BBB three month challenge? It is awesome.

Yes, the plan is to do 2 cycles of BBB Forever first... that challenge is daunting, but I want to give it a go (may have to decrease my TM by 15% to do it though, LOL)

Compound lifts and mobility work for me. Always done that it was never for golf except for more mobility work lol

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I lift mostly in the 8-12 rep range and do 3-4 sets depending on the week. Once every 3 weeks i'll throw in a lower rep week and stay in the 3-6 range and once every so often I'll do a high rep week with reps in the 15-20 range or to failure. I do cardio at the end for 20-30 minutes as well. I don't really do any mobility work aside from making a few golf swings with a dumbell here and there to stay loose and I practice a good amount on the weekends.

Quite honestly I think most "golf specific" training is a waste unless you are rehabbing an injury or are really deficient in a certain area due to muscle imbalances or whatnot. As long as you make sure to work out your total body during the week you should be good.

The heck with light weights, blah blah blah....just lifting heavy doesn't make you big.....Sure you gain some size but not much. The difference maker is nutrition. As an example....in bench I do 250 for 4 sets of 10, curls 4 sets of 50, etc....I'm 6'3 and 200lbs and look thin minus my beer/burger belly lol. Large shirts are like parachutes around my arms and look slightly big on me generally speaking. But....I'm only eating 1800 calories a day and probably .6-.75 grams of protein per lb of body weight....If i were to up that to 2300 calories and 1-1.5 grams of protein then sure I would get bigger and probably stronger as well. Nutrition is 80% of the battle.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

> @oukeith said:

> 6’3” and 200 lbs, and you only eat 1,800 calories per day? Somebody give this guy a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I agree. :) I'm 5'11", 180ish and eat 2500 plus a day without gaining weight. Someone must not be tracking calories properly... ;)

• Like 1

Not a gym rat, but used to work out all the time in the winter, mostly machines but use to do a lot more weight than I could do today, but hardly at all during golf season. Going to turn 58 this fall, my weight has gone up and down significantly a few times in my life, mostly due to life changes or illness/injury. Anyway, the last cycle started 5 years ago with an elbow injury and then digestive issues where I got pretty sick one winter. I stopped working out over the winter for a couple of years, then the next year developed tennis elbow in my "good" arm, it got so I couldn't work out or practice much at all, maybe play twice a week at best. A couple of years ago I decided I needed a new change, I went on a Keto diet, went from around 260 pounds (6 ft 1) down to under 200 in less than 9 months, and started to routinely work out with light weights and stretch. Last year did several months of Yoga 2-3 times a week also. Last summer things started to turn the corner, and I worked out more over the winter. Had one setback with my elbow where I over trained and I think I redid the tennis elbow, but kept at the rehab/workout routine, and I'm feeling the best I have in probably 5 years. I have kept my weight at under 200 now for over a year, and have some strength back in my arms/hands. I don't do much, curls and presses with 20 pound dumbbells, use the flexbar for my arms/elbows, use resistance bands a lot, and use a medicine ball a lot for rotational/core strength exercises. The only other thing I do is walk while playing when its not too hot, and walk my dogs a couple of times a day.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Been doing compound stuff most of my life. Not consistent enough for any real gains, but have a good base I guess.

Started to add some more athletic stuff, from Athlean X (IG and YT), and more golf specific rotational movements from, among others, the bio mechanic (on IG).

https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24

https://instagram.com/the.bio.mechanic?igshid=1c50rld90d4we

Speaking of long drivers: https://instagram.com/golffreakfitness?igshid=1ra1n8nrhm8hd has some good exercises as well. And is huge.

There’s a ton of great info on social media nowadays, but probably dwarfed by the amount of bro-science and bad info. Pick your sources.

• Like 1

[size=1][b]Driver[/b] Titleist 915D3 8.5* Veylix Rome Roughneck S, tipped 1''
[b]Spoon[/b] [/size][size=1]Cobra King LTD 13.5* UST Mamiya Chrome Elements S[/size]
[size=1][b]Hybrid[/b] Adams A2ts Aldila Voodoo SNV8 S
[b]Irons[/b] Epon AF-Tour 5 - PW KBS C-taper S
[b]GW[/b] Titleist SM6 52* K-grind
[b]SW[/b] Titleist SM6 oil can 58* V-grind
[b]Putter[/b] Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura[/size]

> @mocokid said:

> gym about 4 days a week: 30 mins aerobic, then core stuff-deadlifts and squats and slo mo med ball swings.

> Yoga stretching every morning, one yoga class per week.

Good stuff! I am 100% convinced that Deads and Squats are my fountain of youth. The key is to allow enough recovery time and not over-doing it.

> @cmb71 said:

> > @mocokid said:

> > gym about 4 days a week: 30 mins aerobic, then core stuff-deadlifts and squats and slo mo med ball swings.

> > Yoga stretching every morning, one yoga class per week.

>

> Good stuff! I am 100% convinced that Deads and Squats are my fountain of youth. The key is to allow enough recovery time and not over-doing it.

The deadlifts and squats will put stress on my knees. Sometimes I'll do one or the other but not both. Don't mind some soreness, but when the knee joints feel stressed, I gotta give it a rest.

> @mocokid said:

> > @cmb71 said:

> > > @mocokid said:

> > > gym about 4 days a week: 30 mins aerobic, then core stuff-deadlifts and squats and slo mo med ball swings.

> > > Yoga stretching every morning, one yoga class per week.

> >

> > Good stuff! I am 100% convinced that Deads and Squats are my fountain of youth. The key is to allow enough recovery time and not over-doing it.

>

> The deadlifts and squats will put stress on my knees. Sometimes I'll do one or the other but not both. Don't mind some soreness, but when the knee joints feel stressed, I gotta give it a rest.

If you are feeling knee pain in deadlifts something is wrong. For squats you might want to check form.

• Like 1

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @mocokid said:

> > > @cmb71 said:

> > > > @mocokid said:

> > > > gym about 4 days a week: 30 mins aerobic, then core stuff-deadlifts and squats and slo mo med ball swings.

> > > > Yoga stretching every morning, one yoga class per week.

> > >

> > > Good stuff! I am 100% convinced that Deads and Squats are my fountain of youth. The key is to allow enough recovery time and not over-doing it.

> >

> > The deadlifts and squats will put stress on my knees. Sometimes I'll do one or the other but not both. Don't mind some soreness, but when the knee joints feel stressed, I gotta give it a rest.

>

> If you are feeling knee pain in deadlifts something is wrong. For squats you might want to check form.

Agreed, knee pains for Squats I get, but not for DL's. I have used a hex bar for DL's (makes it more of a squat-type motion)... it definitely reduces the lower back load too, if that's what you're compensating for on the DL. I found that a proper warm up including the Agile 8 (buy a foam roller) greatly reduces any knee and hip issues with Squats. I also wear knee sleeves now (yeah, I'm getting old). :)

> @Mike_C said:

> Not a gym rat, but used to work out all the time in the winter, mostly machines but use to do a lot more weight than I could do today, but hardly at all during golf season. Going to turn 58 this fall, my weight has gone up and down significantly a few times in my life, mostly due to life changes or illness/injury. Anyway, the last cycle started 5 years ago with an elbow injury and then digestive issues where I got pretty sick one winter. I stopped working out over the winter for a couple of years, then the next year developed tennis elbow in my "good" arm, it got so I couldn't work out or practice much at all, maybe play twice a week at best. A couple of years ago I decided I needed a new change, I went on a Keto diet, went from around 260 pounds (6 ft 1) down to under 200 in less than 9 months, and started to routinely work out with light weights and stretch. Last year did several months of Yoga 2-3 times a week also. Last summer things started to turn the corner, and I worked out more over the winter. Had one setback with my elbow where I over trained and I think I redid the tennis elbow, but kept at the rehab/workout routine, and I'm feeling the best I have in probably 5 years. I have kept my weight at under 200 now for over a year, and have some strength back in my arms/hands. I don't do much, curls and presses with 20 pound dumbbells, use the flexbar for my arms/elbows, use resistance bands a lot, and use a medicine ball a lot for rotational/core strength exercises. The only other thing I do is walk while playing when its not too hot, and walk my dogs a couple of times a day.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a winding road for you. Good that things have gotten better. I can imagine that weight fluctuations (especially gains) can be very easy to get into for many men. The yoga is key for golf, I've learned. I don't do it enough, but stretch almost every day. Knock on wood...I am the exact same weight I've been since 1988...222 pounds. The only time that's fluctuated was when I was training really hard for boxing, where I dropped to 201 for a few months. That was different.