Laser Rangefinder Battery Story

cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Jul 27, 2019 1:44pm in GPS/Range Finders/Mobile Apps #1

I was on the course today and on the back 9 my Bushnell V4 went completely dead. One fairway reading it worked fine, the next hole nothing. I went home and put my meter on it (CR-2 battery) and it read 3.58 volts for a 3 volt battery. I went to the store and purchased a new CR2, put it in and everything works fine now. So possibly lithium batteries can still hold acceptable voltage but loose their ability to provide current to the device. Electrical pros feel free to chime in. So even if you think your laser died try changing out the battery first.

Post edited by cristphoto on

Comments

• jblough99jblough99 Members Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an older ni-cad battery and newer lithium battery for my cordless toolkit. The ni-cad battery progressively runs the tool slower and with less power when it’s almost dead. The lithium battery gives no warning and the tool just stops dead when the battery is drained. The older technology is nice because it gives a “warning” when your running low.

• cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Nothing linear at all - one second it worked, the next it didn't. When I got a good voltage reading on the battery I figured the laser died. But I thought I might as well try a new battery and I got lucky.

• cfmgolfcfmgolf Members Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can 2nd the stop dead you experienced. Works on hole 3, dead on hole 4. I end up keeping a spare battery in the bag just in case.

Cobra F9 Tour Length 9* w/ Smoke Shaft    TBD!!
    Cobra F9 3/4W w/ Smoke Shaft 1/2" Short 
    Adams "old school" 19* Hybrid
    Ping G700 4-U w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 52*
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 56*
    Odyssey Blade 
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had a Bushnell Tour V2 (or was it V3?) and when the battery was about to die it would give a few flaky readings the last dozen or so times I fired it. Or maybe just not read at all. Then it would go dead. The older Medalist I had years ago was the same.

But the Nikon I have now just worked perfectly on one shot, then the next time it's like I'm not even pushing the button. Just like your V4. Something about the way they are designed nowadays seems to kill it off instantly.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I third the instant dead for Nikon

Ping G400 LST 11.5* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Aldila NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Same and from what I understand, which is very little, is that these batteries have a longer more constant output that regular AA's. In that they provide the same energy over its life without a drop in voltage. So it makes sense that it just stops working without the old tell tale signs...

• mcputtermcputter Members Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I'll go off topic, but last weekend on the range I had my older Swingbyte swing speed reader (which uses a 9 volt battery) as I'm working on getting my swing speed back up after a long layoff. Most (driver) swings were in the 88-94 mph range, max out at 98, but then one was 66 mph. I thought what the heck? The next swing registered at 146 mph (I should have taken a picture). Hopefully the next time with a new battery it will work properly.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've never noticed the battery strength indicator (Leupold) show anything other than full charge, until it is totally dead. Last year I put 9 lithium AA batteries in a flashlight I use nightly. They didn't last as long as the cheaper batteries, 3 of the 9 went totally dead in a matter of days.

• cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cfmgolf said:
    I can 2nd the stop dead you experienced. Works on hole 3, dead on hole 4. I end up keeping a spare battery in the bag just in case.

I agree. I bought a two-pack and now keep the second battery in my bag. The V4 has a battery gauge in the display and all I ever remember is it reading full. Makes sense as I got a good voltage reading but in reality the battery was dead.

• larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 8, 2019 2:45pm #11

What counts is what the voltage is when there's a load on the battery. Putting a volt meter on a batter imparts very little load, especially digital multi-meters.

I don't understand why bushnell cannot make a reliable battery life indicator. Everyone I know who has the bushnell experienced the "works one second, doesn't work the next". All it has to do measure voltage under load (just like a battery tester, not a multi-meter) and display it.

By the way, do yourself a favor and get a 10 pack of CR2 on amazon. Fraction of the cost of the single $10 battery from a drug store. (I usually can find them for $2.50 per battery)

• I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is the nature of lithium batteries, they suffer very sudden deaths. I also order them from Amazon, pack of 6 is less than one at the local Walgreens.

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@I_HATE_SNOW said:
    I think it is the nature of lithium batteries, they suffer very sudden deaths. I also order them from Amazon, pack of 6 is less than one at the local Walgreens.

Nikon rangefinders are the same. And I've heard people talk about a similar thing on Leupold. I agree that it's just a lithium battery thing.

And totally agree with shopping for a 6-pack or 10-pack on Amazon (or eBay). I try to buy the ones that feature the actual expiry date in the ad listing. If it's 2024, that's probably about 10 battery changes from now for me. I think I payed $20-something for my last 10-pack off eBay and still have most of them.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone try re-chargeable batteries? Any good?

All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    SC NP2
    Srixon Z Star(2019)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • Duke of HazardsDuke of Hazards Members Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

I went to use my Leupold GX-4i2 my last round only to get the dead battery issue (was working fine previous round, but can't remember what the battery indicator said). So I bought replacement batteries on Amazon a few days ago. When I went to pull my rangefinder out to put the new battery in, I decided to try it first. Full battery! Not sure why it gave me the dead battery signal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file