2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

A modest proposal for the playoffs

dalehead

Everyone has an opinion about the playoffs so I feel entitled to mine. Start with the premise that the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, etc. use the regular season to qualify for the playoffs. And while regular season record may earn an advantage like a first round bye or home field advantage, that's it. Everything resets to zero. A NFL division champ doesn't start a playoff game with 7 points already on the scoreboard.

Should be the same for the Fed Ex Cup playoffs. Your regular season record qualifies you but once you're in everybody starts even. And no 125 players in the first round. If you finish 125 in Fed Ex points you've had a pretty mediocre year. You don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Better luck next year. The top 90 in Fed Ex points get in the first round. The top 50 finishers and ties in that tournament advance to the next round. The top 30 and ties then advance to the Tour Championship. The winner of that tournament is the tour champion and is awarded the Fed Ex Cup.

My idea has always been, if you finish in the top 10 you qualify auto for the tour championship. 11-30 qualify for the semi finals. 31-100 all make the playoffs. 101-125 monday qualifier for 10 spots.

31-100 split into two tournament fields. 31-50 can choose what course they want to play, the rest its a random draw to fill up the spots. 101-125 randomly assigned for qualifier.

40 players at each tournament. 72 holes, no cut. Top 10 move on to the semifinals. 11-25 qualify for Monday qualifer for 10 spots.

Those 50 split int two tournaments, 11-30 get pick what course, along with the two winners from round 1. The rest are randomly assigned.

25 players each tournament, 72 holes, top 5 move on to the tc, 6-10 qualify for monday qualifier for 1 spot

21 players qualify for Tour Championship. 72 Holes, no cut for the Fedex Cup.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Four NFL division winners do much better than starting with 7-points on the scoreboard...they get to skip an entire game! And then have home field. Same thing in baseball; being a wild-card is risky business, with one game to play yourself in-or-out. In basketball, being a 1 or 2 seed playing a 7 or 8 is (generally) a pretty big deal. I assume it’s similar for hockey.

People, people, people...you guys don't get it. As I said in a post earlier this week, the PGA Tour is a union. They want people watching, creating money for them, a group of players not in the OWGR doesn't get people watching. They will never do this. It's for the same reason they don't have more match play. The worst nightmare is a Yang-Lashley final (nothing against those guys, however). No one is going to watch that.

I'll just say it's ridiculous and agree with OP that it's ridiculous to have all 125 players make the playoffs. 90 players making the playoffs would be better. Most of the guys finishing 90-125 are typically journeyman types that had mediocre seasons and don't deserve to make the playoffs. These guys don't move tv ratings and historically haven't done much in the playoffs anyway.

I'll go further and say having 125 exempt and keeping their cards for the next season is too many esp when you consider the Korn Ferry graduates have trouble getting into tournaments after all the sponsor exemptions, past champions, monday qualifiers, medical exemptions, career money exemptions, top 10 exemptions, etc, etc.

> @snizzle said:

> I'll go further and say having 125 exempt and keeping their cards for the next season is too many esp when you consider the Korn Ferry graduates have trouble getting into tournaments

Myth. Of the top 25 on the 2017/2018 Web.com regular season money list 23 of the 25 have made between 20 and 31 starts on the 2018/19 PGA Tour. Most have 22-24 starts. The other two have played in 15 and 19 events. The top 25 in the Web.com playoffs from last year have earned similar numbers of playing chances for this PGA Tour season. Events played from those players range between 15-29 events. Guys earning their cards are getting more than enough playing chances coming from the now KF Tour. ANy playing chance needs to be taken advantage of.

> @grm24 said:

> > @snizzle said:

> > I'll go further and say having 125 exempt and keeping their cards for the next season is too many esp when you consider the Korn Ferry graduates have trouble getting into tournaments

> >

> Myth. Of the top 25 on the 2017/2018 Web.com regular season money list 23 of the 25 have made between 20 and 31 starts on the 2018/19 PGA Tour. Most have 22-24 starts. The other two have played in 15 and 19 events. The top 25 in the Web.com playoffs from last year have earned similar numbers of playing chances for this PGA Tour season. Events played form those players range between 15-29 events. Guys earning teir cards are getting more than enough playing chances coming from the now KF Tour.

>

>

>

Agreed, and what people don't realize... Or forget.... Is that there are not just 125 guys completing on tour each year. Finishing in the top 125 is an accomplishment for many players and should be rewarded.

There's almost 120 guys at the NFL Pro Bowl. Not just superstars. And folks tend to praise all of them. Why do golf fans act like only the top 10 are any good?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @Shilgy said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @snizzle said:

> > > I'll go further and say having 125 exempt and keeping their cards for the next season is too many esp when you consider the Korn Ferry graduates have trouble getting into tournaments

> > >

> > Myth. Of the top 25 on the 2017/2018 Web.com regular season money list 23 of the 25 have made between 20 and 31 starts on the 2018/19 PGA Tour. Most have 22-24 starts. The other two have played in 15 and 19 events. The top 25 in the Web.com playoffs from last year have earned similar numbers of playing chances for this PGA Tour season. Events played form those players range between 15-29 events. Guys earning teir cards are getting more than enough playing chances coming from the now KF Tour.

> >

> >

> >

> Agreed, and what people don't realize... Or forget.... Is that there are not just 125 guys completing on tour each year. Finishing in the top 125 is an accomplishment for many players and should be rewarded.

> There's almost 120 guys at the NFL Pro Bowl. Not just superstars. And folks tend to praise all of them. Why do golf fans act like only the top 10 are any good?

Your reward for finishing in the top 125 is you get to keep your card. Seems about right to me. You should need to do better than top 125 to make the playoffs.> @HitEmTrue said:

> Four NFL division winners do much better than starting with 7-points on the scoreboard...they get to skip an entire game! And then have home field. Same thing in baseball; being a wild-card is risky business, with one game to play yourself in-or-out. In basketball, being a 1 or 2 seed playing a 7 or 8 is (generally) a pretty big deal. I assume it’s similar for hockey.

Well, you did miss my point, but thanks for your information about the NFL, MLB, and NBA playoffs.

My idea would simply be to go back to what they had before, no playoffs, just a series of golf tournaments that if you play well in and win, you win. The faux excitement that the playoffs generates is grim and the schedule now is worse because of it.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @dalehead said:

>>@HitEmTrue said:

> > Four NFL division winners do much better than starting with 7-points on the scoreboard...they get to skip an entire game! And then have home field. Same thing in baseball; being a wild-card is risky business, with one game to play yourself in-or-out. In basketball, being a 1 or 2 seed playing a 7 or 8 is (generally) a pretty big deal. I assume it’s similar for hockey.

>

> Well, you did miss my point, but thanks for your information about the NFL, MLB, and NBA playoffs.

You said that golf should be the same and start the playoffs “even”. I don’t believe those other sports start even.

Nonetheless, I’m not a fan of the new “head start”...basically a handicapped event...that starts with this year’s tour championship.

Start with the top 80, but the top 20 get to sit out the first event. So out of the 60 that would play the first event, 40 join the top 20 for the second event. Cut to 30 for the last event. Fed-X cup goes to the player with the lowest cumulative score over the last two events, for $5 Mil.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @dalehead said:

> Everyone has an opinion about the playoffs so I feel entitled to mine. Start with the premise that the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, etc. use the regular season to qualify for the playoffs. And while regular season record may earn an advantage like a first round bye or home field advantage, that's it. Everything resets to zero. A NFL division champ doesn't start a playoff game with 7 points already on the scoreboard.

>

> Should be the same for the Fed Ex Cup playoffs. Your regular season record qualifies you but once you're in everybody starts even. And no 125 players in the first round. If you finish 125 in Fed Ex points you've had a pretty mediocre year. You don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Better luck next year. The top 90 in Fed Ex points get in the first round. The top 50 finishers and ties in that tournament advance to the next round. The top 30 and ties then advance to the Tour Championship. The winner of that tournament is the tour champion and is awarded the Fed Ex Cup.

Finishing 125th in FedExCup points gets you fully exempt on Tour for the next season. I don't call that mediocre in the least. People underestimate just how hard it is to not only get status but keep it...there are multiple PGA Tour winners in Korn Ferry events each week. I have no problems with the top 125 guys getting into the first playoff event at all....if anything its a nice reward for having a good season.

I dont agree with resetting the points to zero...all that will do is risk some of the big names not getting through to the next round if they have a poor performance in the first playoff event. If the FedExCup points reset to zero at the start of the playoffs, that will also lead to is guys at the top of the points list playing fewer and fewer events during the season. If you're gonna reward consistency and set up a points system so the top players on your Tour play more, you cant have the work they do all season be reset to zero to start the playoffs. Even in other sports, the NFL is the only one-and-done league...and even then those who have the best regular season records get the perks like playing the lowest seed, having home field advantage, etc. NBA, MLB and NHL all have multiple best of 5 or 7 series to determine their champions.

The playoffs for the PGA Tour are probably as good as they're gonna be...if you win a playoff event, you're guaranteed to be one of the top 5 who win the FedExCup by winning the Tour Championship. If they're gonna have this type of setup in place for the final events of the year, that's pretty much the only way you can do it.

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @dalehead said:

> > Everyone has an opinion about the playoffs so I feel entitled to mine. Start with the premise that the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, etc. use the regular season to qualify for the playoffs. And while regular season record may earn an advantage like a first round bye or home field advantage, that's it. Everything resets to zero. A NFL division champ doesn't start a playoff game with 7 points already on the scoreboard.

> >

> > Should be the same for the Fed Ex Cup playoffs. Your regular season record qualifies you but once you're in everybody starts even. And no 125 players in the first round. If you finish 125 in Fed Ex points you've had a pretty mediocre year. You don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Better luck next year. The top 90 in Fed Ex points get in the first round. The top 50 finishers and ties in that tournament advance to the next round. The top 30 and ties then advance to the Tour Championship. The winner of that tournament is the tour champion and is awarded the Fed Ex Cup.

>

> Finishing 125th in FedExCup points gets you fully exempt on Tour for the next season. I don't call that mediocre in the least. People underestimate just how hard it is to not only get status but keep it...there are multiple PGA Tour winners in Korn Ferry events each week. I have no problems with the top 125 guys getting into the first playoff event at all....if anything its a nice reward for having a good season.

>

> I dont agree with resetting the points to zero...all that will do is risk some of the big names not getting through to the next round if they have a poor performance in the first playoff event. If the FedExCup points reset to zero at the start of the playoffs, that will also lead to is guys at the top of the points list playing fewer and fewer events during the season. If you're gonna reward consistency and set up a points system so the top players on your Tour play more, you cant have the work they do all season be reset to zero to start the playoffs. Even in other sports, the NFL is the only one-and-done league...and even then those who have the best regular season records get the perks like playing the lowest seed, having home field advantage, etc. NBA, MLB and NHL all have multiple best of 5 or 7 series to determine their champions.

>

> The playoffs for the PGA Tour are probably as good as they're gonna be...if you win a playoff event, you're guaranteed to be one of the top 5 who win the FedExCup by winning the Tour Championship. If they're gonna have this type of setup in place for the final events of the year, that's pretty much the only way you can do it.

The current playoff system isn’t set up to reward consistency. A player who qualifies well down the points list can get hot in the playoffs and leap frog guys who have played better season long. Let’s be honest. The playoff system was conceived to do one thing. Try and keep as many eyeballs on TV screens as possible after the major season ended with the PGA Championship. And the Tour still hasn’t figured out a formula that works. 4 playoff events or 3? A week off or no week off. Play into September or wrap up by August 31? And now the biggest gimmick yet, handicap the Tour Championship. If the whole Fed Ex Cup playoff system disappeared after this year few hardcore and no casual golf fans would mourn its passing

> @Loki said:

> People, people, people...you guys don't get it. As I said in a post earlier this week, the PGA Tour is a union. They want people watching, creating money for them, a group of players not in the OWGR doesn't get people watching. They will never do this. It's for the same reason they don't have more match play. The worst nightmare is a Yang-Lashley final (nothing against those guys, however). No one is going to watch that.

Yep...Entertainment is a big business.

> @dalehead said:

> > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > @dalehead said:

> > > Everyone has an opinion about the playoffs so I feel entitled to mine. Start with the premise that the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, etc. use the regular season to qualify for the playoffs. And while regular season record may earn an advantage like a first round bye or home field advantage, that's it. Everything resets to zero. A NFL division champ doesn't start a playoff game with 7 points already on the scoreboard.

> > >

> > > Should be the same for the Fed Ex Cup playoffs. Your regular season record qualifies you but once you're in everybody starts even. And no 125 players in the first round. If you finish 125 in Fed Ex points you've had a pretty mediocre year. You don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Better luck next year. The top 90 in Fed Ex points get in the first round. The top 50 finishers and ties in that tournament advance to the next round. The top 30 and ties then advance to the Tour Championship. The winner of that tournament is the tour champion and is awarded the Fed Ex Cup.

> >

> > Finishing 125th in FedExCup points gets you fully exempt on Tour for the next season. I don't call that mediocre in the least. People underestimate just how hard it is to not only get status but keep it...there are multiple PGA Tour winners in Korn Ferry events each week. I have no problems with the top 125 guys getting into the first playoff event at all....if anything its a nice reward for having a good season.

> >

> > I dont agree with resetting the points to zero...all that will do is risk some of the big names not getting through to the next round if they have a poor performance in the first playoff event. If the FedExCup points reset to zero at the start of the playoffs, that will also lead to is guys at the top of the points list playing fewer and fewer events during the season. If you're gonna reward consistency and set up a points system so the top players on your Tour play more, you cant have the work they do all season be reset to zero to start the playoffs. Even in other sports, the NFL is the only one-and-done league...and even then those who have the best regular season records get the perks like playing the lowest seed, having home field advantage, etc. NBA, MLB and NHL all have multiple best of 5 or 7 series to determine their champions.

> >

> > The playoffs for the PGA Tour are probably as good as they're gonna be...if you win a playoff event, you're guaranteed to be one of the top 5 who win the FedExCup by winning the Tour Championship. If they're gonna have this type of setup in place for the final events of the year, that's pretty much the only way you can do it.

>

> The current playoff system isn’t set up to reward consistency. A player who qualifies well down the points list can get hot in the playoffs and leap frog guys who have played better season long. Let’s be honest. The playoff system was conceived to do one thing. Try and keep as many eyeballs on TV screens as possible after the major season ended with the PGA Championship. And the Tour still hasn’t figured out a formula that works. 4 playoff events or 3? A week off or no week off. Play into September or wrap up by August 31? And now the biggest gimmick yet, handicap the Tour Championship. If the whole Fed Ex Cup playoff system disappeared after this year few hardcore and no casual golf fans would mourn its passing

I hear the PGA Tour players crying, just at the mention of you talking about ending the FedEx cup. The only one applauding will be Justin Rose.....LOL!

Just a reminder for those who think they should abolish the FedEx cup:

The PGA Tour FedEx Cup bonus pool purse has increased starting with the 2018-2019 season to $60 million, with the winner's share coming in at $15,000,000 -- not a standard payout according to the PGA Tour's prize money distribution chart.

The winner gets $14 million of that in cash up front, with $1 million deferred into their retirement account, which is a pension managed by the PGA Tour (very well, we might add). The top 30 players earn some cash from the prize pool, while other players receive money deferred into their retirement pension.

The top 150 players in the final standings are paid part of the $60 million bonus pool, based on the final standings at the conclusion of the Tour Championship, played at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta, Ga.

Taken from GNN website.

> @Loki said:

> People, people, people...you guys don't get it. As I said in a post earlier this week, the PGA Tour is a union. They want people watching, creating money for them, a group of players not in the OWGR doesn't get people watching. They will never do this. It's for the same reason they don't have more match play. The worst nightmare is a Yang-Lashley final (nothing against those guys, however). No one is going to watch that.

That’s why they need 5 sponsor exemptions into the Atlanta event. Do that and Tiger makes it every year. Rory makes it every year. Flavor of the month makes it every year.

> @Titleist99 said:

> Just a reminder for those who think they should abolish the FedEx cup:

> The PGA Tour FedEx Cup bonus pool purse has increased starting with the 2018-2019 season to $60 million, with the winner's share coming in at $15,000,000 -- not a standard payout according to the PGA Tour's prize money distribution chart.

>

> The winner gets $14 million of that in cash up front, with $1 million deferred into their retirement account, which is a pension managed by the PGA Tour (very well, we might add). The top 30 players earn some cash from the prize pool, while other players receive money deferred into their retirement pension.

>

> The top 150 players in the final standings are paid part of the $60 million bonus pool, based on the final standings at the conclusion of the Tour Championship, played at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta, Ga.

>

> Taken from GNN website.

Who doesn’t know that?

I do not understand all the the talk about having a mediocre year making you undeserving of a playoff spot. A few years back the Seahawks made it to the playoffs and had home field advantage with a losing record because they won their awful division. A few teams in the Eastern Conference in the NBA finish right above .500 for the year and still make the playoffs almost every season.

Not to mention, the guys who are closer to being ranked 125 in the playoffs are the players who could more than likely use the checks for being invited to play in 1 or 2 more big events at the end of the season. Most of them get to play 1 more event and collect a small check while the higher ranked guys move onto the next event.

If the idea of the playoffs was to crown those who had the best regular season the champions, it would eliminate the very need for a playoff.

Ping g430 LST 9* - HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 65g
Ping g430 LST 14.5* - Project X Smoke Black 70x
Ping g430 17* - Project X Smoke Black 6.5 or TM P70UDI 2 with same shaft
Ping i59 4-PW - DG AMT White X100
Callaway Jaws Raw Black 50*, 54*, 60*- DG TI S400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini w/ Stability Tour
Taylor Made TP5 PIX

> @Llortamaisey said:

> > @Loki said:

> > People, people, people...you guys don't get it. As I said in a post earlier this week, the PGA Tour is a union. They want people watching, creating money for them, a group of players not in the OWGR doesn't get people watching. They will never do this. It's for the same reason they don't have more match play. The worst nightmare is a Yang-Lashley final (nothing against those guys, however). No one is going to watch that.

>

> That’s why they need 5 sponsor exemptions into the Atlanta event. Do that and Tiger makes it every year. Rory makes it every year. Flavor of the month makes it every year.

You're on the right track, but you don't go too far enough.

You have got to give the people what they want.

Tour Championship would consist of 3 rounds of match play. Tiger and Phil would get automatic spots in the semi finals. The major winners face off in the quarter finals. This year Tiger won The Masters, so the TPC winner gets in.

Schedule

Friday (two losers leave with $2,000,000

Quarter Final One is Shane Lowry vs. Gary Woodland

Quarter Final Two is Rory McIlroy vs. Brooks Koepka

Saturday (two losers get $5,000,000

Semi Final One is McIlroy/ Koepka winner vs. Phil Mickelson

Semi Final Two is Lowry/ Woodland winner vs. Tiger Woods (since Tiger won a major, he'd start 5 up)

Sunday (runner up gets $10,000,000 winner gets $20,000,000)

Semi Final winners

The rest of the top 125 would play the week before in the National Invitational Tournament.

72 holes to determine who makes the Top 30 and gets into next years majors.

$10,000,000 total purse with a bonus pool consisting of a lifetime supply of Turtle Wax and Rice-a-Roni the San Francisco Treat